• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I was super into AA1 but fell off at 2. Not cause I didn't like it, just happened. If I blow through the Trilogy like I'm expecting I will is it worth it to continue on with the series?
They're more divisive then the original trilogy, but none of them are bad games at all so I'd say it's worth checking out the rest of the series. They're mostly 3DS/Mobile exclusive though, so that's something to keep in mind.

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
I've lost count of how many times I've bought this trilogy now xD Ahh well, here we go again.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
One thing that's getting glossed over is how much better this sounds than the DS originals. It's staggering how much cleaner the audio is.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Oh okay I get what you mean now, and yeah that shot doesn't hold up too well. But clearly that still involved manual redrawing so it's not a filter. Just got a bit confused is all. I thought you were talking about something like the colours.

I agree, it'd be nice if we could mod the sprites into the PC version for those who want the original look back.
Okay after an hour it doesn't bother me at all. They look fine.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
Will be picking up the Switch version very soon, replaying the 3DS collection to tide me over. This series is just so great! I'm very happy non-Nintendo/Mobile Phone folks finally get a chance to check it out (and I hope they do too!).

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
If I wasn't busy playing the English patch of DGS I'd be playing this right now

I'll probably get it for PS4 and Switch, I'm a huge sucker for the games on any platform, can't get enough

Also the series takes place in Los Angeles. Indisputably.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily I've forgotten everything since I played these more than 10 years ago (eek!)

They're practically new games to me haha

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was super into AA1 but fell off at 2. Not cause I didn't like it, just happened. If I blow through the Trilogy like I'm expecting I will is it worth it to continue on with the series?
As someone quite critical of the post AA3 games, they're absolutely worth it. While I;d say none of them really live up to the original trilogy (outside of AAI2, a game that was never localized), they're still good games.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I'm of the opinion that the original is the best by a longshot, and I was also going through the motions continuing into 2, which I played because... well, I wished 1 could've lasted longer, but then I got to case 4 and it was so hype.

After that I couldn't not play Trials & Tribulations and I'm very happy I played it. I think the last game's plot isn't as good as its two extremely hilarious filler cases, but it's still a good plot and it's surely more plot-oriented than JFA, trying to go very grand and profound in its scope from the beginning. If JFA is too boring I wouldn't be against jumping straight into the final game either, but there's some references to story beats of JFA that are worth experiencing.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Missed the PS4 preorder theme... Switch it is, then. I really enjoyed going through these games years ago.

OP
OP
Papercuts

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the opinion that the original is the best by a longshot, and I was also going through the motions continuing into 2, which I played because... well, I wished 1 could've lasted longer, but then I got to case 4 and it was so hype.

After that I couldn't not play Trials & Tribulations and I'm very happy I played it. I think the last game's plot isn't as good as its two extremely hilarious filler cases, but it's still a good plot and it's surely more plot-oriented than JFA, trying to go very grand and profound in its scope from the beginning. If JFA is too boring I wouldn't be against jumping straight into the final game either, but there's some references to story beats of JFA that are worth experiencing.

JFA is so weird to me, because while I do think it's the weakest game, the final case is my favorite in the entire franchise.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know nothing about this series but I just bought.

hope I'll enjoy it, seems unique

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
JFA is so weird to me, because while I do think it's the weakest game, the final case is my favorite in the entire franchise.
I had the same feeling. To be fair, in hindsight it's no longer even close to the worst for me because I find its middle cases, give or take the circus one, to be above average compared to anything in Dual Destinies or SoJ. As dull as the premises can seem, it's the trial segments and character interactions that make or break the cases, and the more times I go back, the more I realize how much good writing there still is in JFA... it's just the lack of an overall arc to the game that drags it down.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had the same feeling. To be fair, in hindsight it's no longer even close to the worst for me because I find its middle cases, give or take the circus one, to be above average compared to anything in Dual Destinies or SoJ. As dull as the premises can seem, it's the trial segments and character interactions that make or break the cases, and the more times I go back, the more I realize how much good writing there still is in JFA... it's just the lack of an overall arc to the game that drags it down.
I think JFA has an arc, it's just a thematic one.

Both Case 2 and 3 have "sympathetic" killers and Case 3 has a relatively unlikable defendant, which I think is meant to symbolize a grayer moral compass to the characters than what you were used to in the first game, which is then of course taken to the limit with Case 4 featuring a defendant as the villain. JFA also starts in Case 1 with Phoenix literally learning what it means to be a lawyer, and in Case 4 this is reinforced symbolically as he grapples through this very concept again.

I think it's a little clumsier than later games, most notably AA3 and its constant use of masks, from the beginning to the very end, both symbolically and literally, serving the plot excellently. AA3 also has the most tight plotting of the series. But I appreciate JFA for what it aimed to do to add depth to the characters.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I think JFA has an arc, it's just a thematic one.

Both Case 2 and 3 have "sympathetic" killers and Case 3 has a relatively unlikable defendant, which I think is meant to symbolize a grayer moral compass to the characters than what you were used to in the first game, which is then of course taken to the limit with Case 4 featuring a defendant as the villain. JFA also starts in Case 1 with Phoenix literally learning what it means to be a lawyer, and in Case 4 this is reinforced symbolically as he grapples through this very concept again.

I think it's a little clumsier than later games, most notably AA3 and its constant use of masks, from the beginning to the very end, both symbolically and literally, serving the plot excellently. But I appreciate JFA for what it aimed to do.
Yeah, you're right. It has a great subtext, but it doesn't have a hook, which can make it very aimless-feeling during the first playthrough, indeed. That's also why the last case slam dunks. It's not just a sudden rise in tension for that one case, it brings home the thread of what happened with Edgeworth after the first game and gives Franziska some really meaningful development, as well as Phoenix having to face his biggest ethical questions as an attorney.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Replaying this has been a lot of fun. There are so many small details you forget over time, so it's like a nice surprise remembering a lot of them.

And while the burgers joke has been beaten to death by now, the localization for the series is so charming. Lots of great puns and lines of dialogue.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It took me three playthroughs to "get it", but I will now stand by 2-3 as a well done, extremely tragic case

JFA is very good for a game that was rush written in like six months. 2-4 is godlike

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I finished the first (tutorial) case this morning, all good so far. Art looks much better in motion than in screenshots.
I had to go to work, I can't start the second case yet.

Quick question, probably already answered...
Do I need to be saving regularly, in case I do something wrong? Or will the game auto-save or rescue me from stupid decisions? Can I fail a case bad enough that I'd need to replay the entire thing?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know, if you buy the English version, is there an option for Japanese text?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I like this should I play the ios versions of the games not included in this collection or the 3ds versions?

The iOS versions of 5 and 6 are incredible, and definitely the definitive versions of those two. I haven't played the AJ or Investigations iOS versions, but I've at least heard good things about the former's port.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know, if you buy the English version, is there an option for Japanese text?
Should, though you may need to set your system to Japanese (not sure if there is a language select). Know it works the other way around for the Japanese version.

(edit) For some reason I was thinking this was $40, $30 is such an attractive price but I don't think I want to replay the original trilogy right now. Once it's on sale for $20 or less though I'll rebuy it in an instant.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I see! Thanks for the info!
I have a Japanese account on my switch specifically for games that are like that (and to try Japanese eShop demos). Easier than swapping your account language/region.

(edit) And confirmed it straight up has the option in the menu so even easier.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I bought the trilogy on 3DS back in 2015, I finished the first game and absolutely loved it. I got to the last case on Justice For All and then got side-tracked. So happy this is now on consoles, going to continue my playthrough on the PS4.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
n7FFrkp.png

Time to replay this trilogy in a foreign language of my choice :D

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
n7FFrkp.png

Time to replay this trilogy in a foreign language of my choice :D

I'm tempted, but with so much of the game relying on logic puzzles, I'd personally flounder. If they were more recent in my memory so I could rely on that if I got stuck maybe, but it's been a decade for me and my Japanese isn't that strong anymore.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
Hi! Is anyone else having an issue with the a controller on PC? The buttons prompts change on the fly depending on the input device but I having trouble getting the game to only display only controller buttons. Like the button icons under the dialogue box is for controller but whenever a button is mentioned as part of the dialogue its Keyboard controls. This happened pretty much throughout the tutorial case. Here's a screenshot of it happening (should be RB not TAB).
QlC9RhV.jpg

Any idea how to fix this?

(edited for better pic)

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
What's the best place to import a physical JPN Switch copy if you live in Europe?
I suggest you Amazon.co.jp, I bought it when it was on offer and and I paid around 35€, shipping included.
Now it doesn't seem on offer anymore, but there are some left in stock I just noticed (I do not know for how much time, however).

Raggie

Oct 16, 2018
I haven't played these since their original western release, so I've had enough time to forget half of it. Glad to see them holding up so well, I played for a couple of hours and I kept chuckling the entire time. Excellent port/upgrade as well. I can't recommend these enough!

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
The localization team's vision of Sal Manella (an Otaku in Japan) is based on the average internet creep who's a slob and it's incredibly hilarious: ""my ass is p0wned if I don't find it" Hope we get Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice next. And those non-existing official localizations of DGS1+2.

It took me three playthroughs to "get it", but I will now stand by 2-3 as a well done, extremely tragic case

JFA is very good for a game that was rush written in like six months. 2-4 is godlike

People can say what they want about 2-3, Acro is insanely well done as a character from a disability standpoint and some of Moe's lines are hilarious. 2-4 being incredible is usually well accepted as an opinion which is good.