• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
I hate Phoenix but yeah, if you are gonna use our city as your vacation spot, go to Texas or Utah.
Nah man, AZ needs the money. Plus we got lots of 5 star resorts where people hardly even leave. They just enjoy the weather, golf, pool, spa, and on site restaurants (which, btw, is where many of the best chefs in the metro get their start). Not a 5 star, but my favorite is Pointe Hilton Tapatio because dinner at Different Pointe of View is set on a cliff edge overlooking downtown Phoenix.

Oct 31, 2017
Wonder how many regret it. Phoenix is pretty miserable and really ugly on top of that. I enjoy the cheap Dback tickets though.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I moved to AZ in 2014 and the summers are rough, definitely, but it's not humid and October-April are remarkably pleasant. My main gripe is that Christmas doesn't feel like Christmas.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how many regret it. Phoenix is pretty miserable and really ugly on top of that. I enjoy the cheap Dback tickets though.
Man, I think the rocky looking buttes and mountains in the city are beautiful, sunsets are beautiful, and the city center is clean and has many new interesting buildings that have been built or are in process. If you're talking about middle class suburbs, well, it's the suburbs. Hell, even the highways/interstates are nice looking.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
WpbBpHf.png

No one listens to Peggy.
111 sucks, but it's whatever. Once you hit 115 though, it's literally physically unbearable to be outside. It's like standing right in front of an open oven.

Oct 31, 2017
Man, I think the rocky looking buttes and mountains in the city are beautiful, sunsets are beautiful, and the city center is clean and has many new interesting buildings that have been built or are in process. If you're talking about middle class suburbs, well, it's the suburbs. Hell, even the highways/interstates are nice looking.
Having lived on base housing for a good chunk of my life, the beige, tan and brown just remind me of that, whether it be downtown or any nearby suburb. The roads and mountains are great but I do miss the green environment of the northwest.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
Having lived on base housing for a good chunk of my life, the beige, tan and brown just remind me of that, whether it be downtown or any nearby suburb. The roads and mountains are great but I do miss the green environment of the northwest.
I get it, It's nothing like the Northwest (even if my experience was 1 year in Spokane (Gonzaga).

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, Phoenix is not ugly to me, but I realize I'm in the minority. The beige tract housing gets old after a while, but most cities in the US, honestly, have repeating housing styles and generally look like one another everywhere you go. The only neighborhoods where this isn't a thing are neighborhoods that have a history of old money.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, Phoenix is not ugly to me, but I realize I'm in the minority. The beige tract housing gets old after a while, but most cities in the US, honestly, have repeating housing styles and generally look like one another everywhere you go. The only neighborhoods where this isn't a thing are neighborhoods that have a history of old money.

Yeah, pretty much every middle class suburb anywhere is just a sea of similar houses. It doesn't change unless its a wealthier area or really old neighborhoods.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, pretty much every middle class suburb anywhere is just a sea of similar houses. It doesn't change unless its a wealthier area or really old neighborhoods.

We still have Frank Lloyd Wright who loved this place, but no one will admit that. It's a shame that commercial interests diluted his influence here, though.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Arcadia area and even more so, Paradise Valley are mostly just houses, but with varied and interesting architecture. Newer areas like that are so far out, like the area North of Scottsdale and East of Cave Creek.

Areas that aren't really "old money" that are cool are the smaller central Phoenix areas near downtown, but, a detached 1200 sq ft 2br. house starts at like 400k. (Sounds cheap, but minimum wage here is only $12)

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
And here I am trying to get out of here. Been here most of my life, and I just can't take the summers anymore. Gingers weren't meant to live in the desert.

Feb 15, 2018
While I certainly don't love 110+ degrees, I will definitely take a few months of it over the cold snowy weather I grew up in. I don't miss driving in snow at all. We built a great house in the west suburbs. And although it is stucco with a tile roof, it's nicer than the typical one-tone beige stucco/roof that you'll find around here. And the benefit of having a house in this weather is you never have to worry about mold and mildew, gutters, rotting siding, shoveling snow, dense undergrowth and crazy uncontrolled plants, etc. I guess one downside is that I would love to have a basement but they're super uncommon around here.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Enjoy it y'all. I left and ain't ever looking back. Enjoy the next century of increasing misery as the entire world continues its global warming death rattle.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Why? Is the water table that shallow?

Its possible its because the soil is very hard. It would be expensive to dig the large hole needed. Also possible that because land it cheap, just make the house larger horizontally instead of vertically.

I know when my parents were buying their new house back in the 90s it had a basement option. It was like a $20k option that they ended up not getting.

Last edited:

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
While I certainly don't love 110+ degrees, I will definitely take a few months of it over the cold snowy weather I grew up in. I don't miss driving in snow at all. We built a great house in the west suburbs. And although it is stucco with a tile roof, it's nicer than the typical one-tone beige stucco/roof that you'll find around here. And the benefit of having a house in this weather is you never have to worry about mold and mildew, gutters, rotting siding, shoveling snow, dense undergrowth and crazy uncontrolled plants, etc. I guess one downside is that I would love to have a basement but they're super uncommon around here.
Oh, keep an eye on mold. Just because it's dry here doesn't mean a lack of mold.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Meh, I've lived in hotter temperatures. Arizona is fine. Great in the winter, always pool season year round. Definitely understand why people are moving to Phoenix, especially if they come from colder temperatures or choose to retire someplace warm.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
There are several major cities literally in the desert. Cairo, Baghdad, Lima, Tehran, Khartoum, Karachi, Dubai. Also, the Sonoran Desert is one of the wettest while still being a desert.
Completely ridiculous to compare. Those are all built on major rivers, or oceans, and/or are historical cities that have been around for thousands of years that have supported themselves. Dubai is only large because of human technology and not because it should be that big... Same as Phoenix. At least Dubai and other cities in that region have oil money. Phoenix has freaking nothing.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
Completely ridiculous to compare. Those are all built on major rivers, or oceans, and/or are historical cities that have been around for thousands of years that have supported themselves. Dubai is only large because of human technology and not because it should be that big... Same as Phoenix. At least Dubai and other cities in that region have oil money. Phoenix has freaking nothing.
Arizona has major copper mines, however it isn't reliant on one major industry. We have large chip manufacturers, tech companies, and diverse service industries to name a few. Also Arizona has a 100 year water plan so it's not a barren desert doomed to a short future. For a conservative state we have very progressive environmental policies.

Last edited:

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I lived on base housing in the Phoenix are for 15 years. But after leaving for other base housing in other states and countries, I came back.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona has major copper mines, however it isn't reliant on one major industry. We have large chip manufacturers, tech companies, and diverse service industries to name a few. Also Arizona has a 100 year water plan so it's not a barren desert doomed to a short future. For a conservative state we have very progressive environmental policies.

Barry Goldwater and Carl Hayden, two of my favorite politicians, were responsible for this. Carl Hayden especially, since he was one of the few politicians I can think of who focused on rational policy writing, rather than the bluster and bullshit of so many other politicians.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
it's super hot there. sounds awful to live there considering you need AC a lot of the time which causes climate change to truck even faster.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
it really is crazy how quickly things seemed to have developed over just the past 5 years

when I went to ASU 8 years ago, Tempe didn't have multiple highrise apartment buildings, I only remember the Jerry's Drive Thru Liquours and Taco Bell next to campus, lol. now it looks like downtown LA in parts.

Arcadia and South Scottsdale grew a gigantic restaurant scene out of nowhere. Bianco is a local food empire now with his new flagship restaurant being worthy of a star or two.

Downtown Gilbert isn't just a farmers market and Joyride Tacos anymore, it looks like it's own interpretation of old town Scotts too. crazy shit

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
it really is crazy how quickly things seemed to have developed over just the past 5 years

when I went to ASU 8 years ago, Tempe didn't have multiple highrise apartment buildings, I only remember the Jerry's Drive Thru Liquours and Taco Bell next to campus, lol. now it looks like downtown LA in parts.

Arcadia and South Scottsdale grew a gigantic restaurant scene out of nowhere. Bianco is a local food empire now with his new flagship restaurant being worthy of a star or two.

Downtown Gilbert isn't just a farmers market and Joyride Tacos anymore, it looks like it's own interpretation of old town Scotts too. crazy shit

I love the Tempe scene. It's one of the few places with great urbanism here.

Strangely enough, I've never been to downtown Gilbert, but something tells me I should go and check it out.

Personally, I love all of the growth here, although its not growth in strictly population increase. People here are becoming here because they want to be, they want to be a part of a community, and they want to do something to make this city better. To me that makes me proud, especially since I grew up here with a constant feeling of inferiority.

Last edited:

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
The valley where Phoenix sits has been an "oasis" for thousands of years. In fact, it is believed that flooding destroyed the canals and lead to the indigenous peoples to leave https://ancientwatertechnologies.com/2015/04/18/ancient-water-technologies-in-north-america/. The current canal network in Phoenix follows some of those canals to this day.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
It's a blessing and a curse. I just bought a house here over a little over a year ago. It's gone up in value by about 30K. Also it's turning the state blue. Minimum wage went up big time in the last two years.

Downside is the housing is getting expensive and my daughter is trying to move out.

Feb 15, 2018
Why? Is the water table that shallow?
Its possible its because the soil is very hard. It would be expensive to dig the large hole needed.

Yeah that's my understanding. I wish it had been an option when we built.

Oh, keep an eye on mold. Just because it's dry here doesn't mean a lack of mold.
I'm sure it can happen but certainly seems less prevalent. We vacationed with family a few years ago in a house on the east coast and it had a ton of black mold all in the corners of the bathroom. Yuck.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Buckeye is growing super fast out here. I just wish this place had some sort of night life like East Valley does. At least one decent bar or something for someone in their 20's to do without having to drive to glendale or phx

Last edited:

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Born and raised in The Valley. (East Mesa) Loved growing up there in the 80s and 90s but moved away in 2003 and never looked back. Seriously couldn't stand the heat and what was starting to happen with the politics in the state.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
You can always put more layers on. When you're so hot that you want to remove your skin from your body, there's nothing you can do.
You grab your swim trunks or bikini and make some iced tea as you lounge by the pool. I prefer the option where I'm in a pool floaty drinking a margarita over putting on another layer before I go outside. Not having to worry about freezing pipes or snow on the roads is an added benefit.

Mar 3, 2019
I know people are hating on Arizona in here, but if it gets too hot you just drive up north to flagstaff where it basically looks like Oregon, got snow and more winter temps since it's higher in elevation. Phoenix in summer is god awful(115 at night bruh) but winter is really pleasant with all the hiking.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You grab your swim trunks or bikini and make some iced tea as you lounge by the pool. I prefer the option where I'm in a pool floaty drinking a margarita over putting on another layer before I go outside. Not having to worry about freezing pipes or snow on the roads is an added benefit.
There's no swim trunks, bikinis, or pools when I'm commuting to work and I'm on the train. Also pools aren't exactly a given. I've never had a pool at any place I've lived in my life.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I guess I'm just used to the heat. People always complain about it but I've gone on vacations during the summer to places that are low 90s and very humid and it's completely unbearable. 115 and dry is way more tolerable.

Mar 3, 2019
I guess I'm just used to the heat. People always complain about it but I've gone on vacations during the summer to places that are low 90s and very humid and it's completely unbearable. 115 and dry is way more tolerable.

Dry heat doesn't mean much when it gets up to 125, your flip flops literally start to melt on the asphalt and air around you feels like you are physically baking. Humidity sucks as someone who grew up in Florida, but the dry heat was worse for me.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
There's no swim trunks, bikinis, or pools when I'm commuting to work and I'm on the train. Also pools aren't exactly a given. I've never had a pool at any place I've lived in my life.
My condolences, that sounds like hell. In Phoenix finding a home with a pool can be easier than finding one without.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Agree. I remember when I went to Japan in August a few years ago and it was horrible, and the hottest it got was like 92°F I was glad to be back in AZ with the 110°F dry heat.

My condolences, that sounds like hell. In Phoenix finding a home with a pool can be easier than finding one without.

True. Which can suck if you're like me and don't want a pool.

Oct 25, 2017
It's supposed to get up to 111 on Friday there. F that S!

Lord have fucking mercy. In NE we are only getting up to 78F with our mornings starting at 30F....I can't imagine 111...I think I would die. That's not something you can put yourself into, coming from a place where 30 degrees is your nornal....omg!