• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
707-Klefki.png

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Last reply 'cause I REALLY don't care for your type:

What animal is this supposed to be?
126Magmar_RG.png

And what does the name "Gyarados" (WTF name?????) tell me about a carp dragon?

It's clearly has something to do with fire. The name's also a tipoff for that.

Magmar may not have a lot of personality, but it stands out nicely.

And what does the name Pikachu tell me as a non-Japanese speaker?

It's just cute sounding. Gyarados is angry sounding. They get the job done.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
While some Gen 1 creature concepts are indeed lacking in creativity, the vast majority of the designs are cute and endearing. The simplicity helps with this, actually.

After Gen 2, both the concepts and designs got busier and busier, eventually to the point where some creatures are just a mess of lines combined with bonkers godlike/techno abilities.

Type: Null is the peak of that trend.

600px-772Type_Null.png

Type: Null was created by Faba of the Aether Foundation to be an "Anti-UB Fighting life-form". Codenamed "Beast Killer", Type: Null was developed with cells taken from all known Pokémon types. This was done with the intention of giving it the ability to shift between types by holding a corresponding memory, an ability originally inspired by the myths researched at Canalave Library. This ability led the Aether Foundation to give it the name Type: Full (Japanese: タイプ:フル Type: Full). Three known models of Type: Full were created, but all three rejected the RKS System and went berserk. After being subdued, the three Type: Full were given limiter helmets to lessen the effects of the RKS System's rejection and were put into permanent cryogenic stasis. Thus, the Beast Killer Project was deemed a failure, and the creature's name changed to Type: Null. At some point before the events of Generation VII, Gladion was able to free one of the Type: Null, which he adopted as his own in the hopes of finding a way to undo the effects of the limiter helmet and allow it to use the RKS System.
I love Type Null. It's basically a Pokemon Evangelion.

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

"It's clearly something to do with Fire"...No?

Magmar is a bird faced yokai lol

There's lots of Yokai pokémon in gen 1

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pretty much all I need to tell me someone is a professional Pokemon Design Shitposter is when they just slap an image of Klefki down in a "checkmate, atheists" moment while ignoring that it's based on the pagan cultural idea of faeries being responsible for lost articles such as, very specifically, keys

some of y'all got no poetry or art in you I swear to god

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And you expect most people to know that Gen 1 mons like Electabuzz, Magmar, and Exeggutor are supposed to be just by sight? The former two aren't even based on any animal in particular, and Exeggutor is based on a Yokai, same for Drowsy and Hypno.

Wait.... Exeggutor is based on a yokai?

Fuck me, this is is like finding out Venasaur was a god damn frog.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
And you expect most people to know that Gen 1 mons like Electabuzz, Magmar, and Exeggutor are supposed to be just by sight? The former two aren't even based on any animal in particular, and Exeggutor is based on a Yokai, same for Drowsy and Hypno.

Exeggutor = coconut tree. The name was harder for me to wrap my head around.

Type: Null is a good design, has a good lore and the name fits. You simply don't like it because it's not a gen 1 Pokémon so as a result you're just nitpicking every little details just get your point across.

Literally every single part of Type: Null's personality is in it's convoluted backstory.

Sounds to me like you're trying to justify later gens.

Metallia

May 31, 2018

All of this information is communicated to the same degree with Type: Nulls name and design though. Type: Null is a creature that has a nullified typing. It's design is very obviously a chimera. And the latter is certainly portrayed more clearly than whatever the creature Magmar is based off is. By your own logic, Type: Null communicates more than Magmar does without any need to know its backstory specifically.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Real talk: nobody better be talking s#*& about Pyukumuku. That good boi saved my life in Smash Ultimate more than I can count.

Minotaur

Oct 25, 2017
Mew = Cat
Mewtwo = Upgraded cat

The elongated/muscular figure and ring appendage on the back of its head are good tipoffs to its mutant state.
Ive never met anyone who looked at mewtwo and thought it was like a cat. Pretty much everyone immediately jumps to aliens or space creature in my experience.

Iride

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like they did this concept far better with Carbink and Diancie, with Diancie the mythical being an extremely rare variant of the common pokemon Carbink (lore wise, not gameplay wise outside of their shared typing. Though that would be cool)
Oh, that slipped my mind---yeah that was a cool example of this concept done right and less cheap.

I wonder if Gamefreak could get away with retconning Phione and Manaphy to make them more akin to Carbink and Diancie for the inevitable gen 4 remakes or something. If anything it'd also settle the debate on whether Phione is supposed to be a mythical Pokemon or not.

It's funny and stupid that the Manaphy egg is limited to one Ranger cart only; meanwhile anyone who has Colosseum's NA bonus disk and/or EU Pokemon Channel can send over as many Jirachi as they want.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
Sorry, but Druddigon already takes that cake. Looks like a bunch of scribbes with a terrible colour scheme.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man how the hell did I get a manaphy when I was like 11? I know I beat the crap out of Pokemon ranger, but how did I figure out how to get it to Pearl?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Phione is creepy to me because it's a Pokemon that can only be born from the unholy mating ritual between Manaphy, a legendary, and Ditto. A legendary can't just fuck a Ditto. Manaphy could have any Pokemon he wanted, decides to settle with a formless blob of a creature, and his fucking son emerges. The prince of a prince. It's fucking gross

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Phione at least serves more of a purpose than Chingling. Of all Pokemon to get a pre-evolution, they really honestly picked Chimecho?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Pokemon since Red, and I never acknowledged the existence of event Pokemon until Black and White. I realized eventually there were Pokemon I couldn't get, but I had no idea how to get them, nor did I care, quite frankly. I would have never imagined these kinds of distributions were happening at such extravagant lengths. I also thought Phione was Manaphy's child that had an inability to evolve for some mysterious reason, but since no lore reason was ever given for it, then yeah. Who cares about it? Pointless Pokemon indeed.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
I can never understand the hate for klefki, vanillite and trubbish. It's always these 3 that are somehow bad yet the designs of some of the previous generations aren't? Like what in the world? I enjoyed my Pokemon games (played since the beginning) regardless of the designs but I'm not going lie and say that those 3 are the worst. We literally had a snake and cobra with their names spelled backwards, literal sludge, and rocks with arms and the later gens are GF "running out of ideas?"

On topic, I personally don't like phione or manaphy but I really wouldn't call either the worst.

Now....Farfetch'd

He gotta go. Has no purpose in the Pokemon world

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Do Mega Evolutions count? Because I can't think of a pokemon that's more of a useless abomination than Mega Audino.
20140814105717%21531Audino-Mega.png

Who on earth asked for this.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Come to think of it, I don't think there has been a single Pokemon design that I don't like. I personally really like all of them lol. Sure I have my favorites and preferences, but not one design has made me hate the Pokemon in question.

But OP was talking more about in terms of execution than simply design I believe. Cause looking back on it, I do remember working my butt off to get Manaphy and then Phione and being super darn proud of my accomplishment lol. Nowadays I don't think much about it at all.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I dunno that i'd say anywhere near worst mon, but damn if I cannot comprehend how Audino was selected as the only gen 5 mega
Seriously! Like I get the idea of mega evolutions is to put a spotlight on the not-so-great pokemon and make them somewhat useable but...it's still pretty bad lol So many fantastic pokemon in Gen V that could've used some more love.

I guess it must've been someone's favorite that worked on the games lol

meepbo

Apr 9, 2018
I've always been a fan of it but I think it looks bad in 2D...

I think it looks far better in 3D.
I agree with this. I absolutely hated it's design in BW, but was pleasantly surprised when I ran into one in XY. We constantly hear about what Pokémon Game Freak messed up moving from sprite to 3D, but Druddigon looks much better.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been a fan of it but I think it looks bad in 2D...

I think it looks far better in 3D.
I agree with this. I absolutely hated it's design in BW, but was pleasantly surprised when I ran into one in XY. We constantly hear about what Pokémon Game Freak messed up moving from sprite to 3D, but Druddigon looks much better.
I feel this way with a lot of gen 5 Pokémon. Their sprites were really ugly but the 3D models are fine.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Yes it stands out by being butt ugly.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Phione at least serves more of a purpose than Chingling. Of all Pokemon to get a pre-evolution, they really honestly picked Chimecho?
They probably picked it for merchandizing purposes, considering that Chimecho was somewhat prominent in the anime at the time as one of James's pokemon.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, thank goodness, we've had a mention of Regigigas. There are a lot of bad normal pokémon, a lot of bad legendaries and mythicals, with grinding to become mildly useful (Cosmog), being thrown in with no rhyme or reason (Zeraora) and, of course, the diluted mythical in the OP, but nothing screams awful like a pokémon which more often than not has required catching a trio of legendaries from outside its generation, traded to the current game and is an absolute dud. It's ability discounts all its other merits and makes it virtually useless. It's like travelling around the world to gather exotic ingredients to make a cake and then the oven you cook it in ends up burning your house down.

Deleted member 47619

I don't think it the worst design-wise, but it isn't very rememberable. I actually forgot all about Phione until this thread.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
While some Gen 1 creature concepts are indeed lacking in creativity, the vast majority of the designs are cute and endearing. The simplicity helps with this, actually.

After Gen 2, both the concepts and designs got busier and busier, eventually to the point where some creatures are just a mess of lines combined with bonkers godlike/techno abilities.

Type: Null is the peak of that trend.

600px-772Type_Null.png

To be fair, Type Null is basically "Armored Mewtwo" if that were part of the games.

His actual form and name as "Silvally" makes the whole "chimera Pokemon" concept much more obvious.

1200px-773Silvally.png