• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Naturally. But the way tabloids frame it and the way, say, the Guardian frames it is what I'm saying. It's actually why I went there looking to see how The Sun et all would be reporting it. The "gay sex pest preys on school boys" type of thing.
Ah, that actually makes sense, most of what I was looking at was from Twitter and most were just angry about the age of the boy. Unfortunately, there were also a lot of "over the age of consent" comments as well which were really shitty but when it's a politician there's always a segment willing to downplay abuse, and it doesn't seem to matter what political party it is .

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Goddamn, imagine how many people for generations had to hide who they were for their whole lives. As a gay man, it makes me shiver.

Happy that he feels comfortable enough to be open now. Glad his family seems supportive--I'm sure this is hard for his wife.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
Well this just isn't true. She got famous for being a super bitch on The Apprentice and turning down her place in the final. The episode where she quit is one of the highest rated in the whole shows history.

But yeah, unknown before This Morning 🙄
I didn't know who she was until This Morning and I'm sure a lot of other people were in the same boat 🤷🏻‍♂️

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know who she was until This Morning and I'm sure a lot of other people were in the same boat 🤷🏻‍♂️
And I'm sure some people didn't know who she was until she was blocked from Twitter, so maybe Twitter shouldn't have blocked her since it just drew attention to her?
Again, not Philip and Holly's fault that their interview was where your point of reference comes from... especially as that wasn't even her 1st time in the show, but I think her last.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well this just isn't true. She got famous for being a super bitch on The Apprentice and turning down her place in the final. The episode where she quit is one of the highest rated in the whole shows history.

But yeah, unknown before This Morning 🙄

She was extremely well known. Plenty of tabloid antics before that This Morning episode as well. They only had her on because of her notoriety

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
Wow, good for him but I feel bad that as a national star at this age made him hide himself, hopefully people will gain understanding, hopefully his wife is supportive and his kids also.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Strange argument about Hopkins, I don't think inviting someone on because they are a well known cunt is much better than an unknown one. Probably worse.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
There are still millions of young people struggling with this right now. A friend of my younger sisters hung himself in the woods near his house because of what coming out was causing him, and he was 19.

Gay rights have come a long way, but they are by no means finished and coming out can still be an unbelievably hard and difficult thing.

Especially when so many people are raised in strict religious households. There's been a lot of progression on this front, but still billions of people worldwide are taught on the idea that anything other than heterosexuality is a sin.

Fortunately the UK has been one of the better countries with regards to progress, but they're the exception, not the norm.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's interesting how Phillip is being blamed for Hopkins. I thought he was just a presenter? I didn't realise he booked guests too.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I already thought he was gay, had no idea he was married to a woman. Even had a breaking news alert for this on the BBC news app, bit much.

Oct 25, 2017
SCHOFIELD EXCLUSIVE: New Sun Chief Newton 'Blackmailed' Phillip Schofield to Come Out Live on TV

So why did he lie when he said he wasn't forced to come out?

There's talk he / ITV has a super injunction gagging UK media, the Digital Spy forums have been removing Schofield threads discussing this. If the stuff going around is true then he's done.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
The S*n is fucking trash and needs to be banned everywhere. Just look at Liverpool and the wonders it has done banning it there

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't care if he lied about it being his choice, or if he's taken out injunctions. He's not the one in the wrong and is 100% the victim.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see if there's any story's ever come out about those rumours.

Imagine he may decide to step back from the spotlight soon enough

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
*Pretends to be shocked*

Probably because he figured it's the best way to move it on from it, but expecting bigoted ghouls like the Sun and other UK media would let him move on was always a naive belief.

Also am I interpreting this wrong or is your post actually trying to imply Phillip is the one in the wrong here?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SCHOFIELD EXCLUSIVE: New Sun Chief Newton 'Blackmailed' Phillip Schofield to Come Out Live on TV

There's talk he / ITV has a super injunction gagging UK media, the Digital Spy forums have been removing Schofield threads discussing this. If the stuff going around is true then he's done.

um I'm confused about the fact that you think schofield is at fault here or am I misunderstanding?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Blackmail victim is at fault for paying the ransom. ok.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018

Lol, why on earth do you think he's done?

It sounds like he was the victim here.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
That's just awful, this Dan Wooten fella is a total cunt...

Discussing stories about Prince Harry, and being excluded by Buckingham Palace from official sources of Royal information, he said in an interview: "That doesn't stop me breaking stories… I'm, like, more fool you if you don't want to brief me.

"Then you don't have an opportunity to try to get the story shaped in a way that works for you."

Just so manipulative and shitty, typical Sun tactics then. They basically send him in to not so subtly threaten the target of their shitty tabloid digging with a less flattering take. Just trash people, the lot of them.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
This is such an interesting topic atm in UK media watching this coming out seems very suss now especially Holly's "your not being forced to do this " line

I'm all for accepting coming out as gay but not using it when it suits just to keep a lid on a story that was about to break shows what an awful man he is using something that lots of gay people struggle with to keep his very questionable behaviour out of the media

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
This is such an interesting topic atm in UK media watching this coming out seems very suss now especially Holly's "your not being forced to do this " line

I'm all for accepting coming out as gay but not using it when it suits just to keep a lid on a story that was about to break shows what an awful man he is using something that lots of gay people struggle with to keep his very questionable behaviour out of the media
Basically pulled a Kevin Spacey.

Oct 25, 2017

Let's be clear here, we're posting in a 3 year old thread so we need to get the facts straight with the new context that has emerged.

For those that don't know, drama has emerged around Philip Schofield and his co presenter in the last few months, thought to be around a tiff around them 'skipping the queue' at the Queen's funeral to do a news report. I thought that story was dumb as hell because obviously if you're doing a TV program you'd get specific access.

But then in the last month, Phil's brother was sentenced in a trail for being a nonce and generally awful human - most assumed that's where some of the stress was coming from. Then it came out his co presenter Holly was refusing to work with him. He had to step back from the show.

Now the new drama is it turns out that when Phil came out all these years ago, while he was with his wife of 30 years- he was having an affair with an ITV junior member of staff. So now the story of why he came out back then is up in the air, and probably confirms there was an injunction or two in place. His agency has now dropped him because he was lying about the affair.

I don't think much more is known at this point. He says the affair was inappropriate, but consensual, but sounds like he burned a lot of bridges now this affair has come to light. Of course it's still awful being forced to come out in the beginning but it sounds pretty awfully handled, and well covered up, until now.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
It's not just that he had an affair with a junior member of staff, the junior member of staff was someone Schofield had known since the younger man was a teenager. Apparently Schofield got him the job on This Morning.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just that he had an affair with a junior member of staff, the junior member of staff was someone Schofield had known since the younger man was a teenager. Apparently Schofield got him the job on This Morning.

And by 'teenager' it would appear that would be a very young teenager. A child, even. That is not to say the relationship started when the teenager was a child. The relationship likely started when he was about 18 or 19. Regardless. A man in his mid to late 50s should not be with a man that young.

I think the teenager stuff is skewing this a bit. He appears to have met him when he was a child. Teenager might be interpreted as 18.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
The latest news about how ITV conducted an investigation in 2020 on the quiet is also pretty damning.

I know some in the UK thread said that this feels like homophobia around a problematic relationship, but that ITV are coming out saying they launched a vetting proces, and throwing both of them under the bus by saying they lied, says to me that the press have stuff against Schofield.

Edit: That ITV admit it was on the quiet with no suspension also makes the broadcaster an accomplice in any criminality in my mind.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
And by 'teenager' it would appear that would be a very young teenager. A child, even. That is not to say the relationship started when the teenager was a child. The relationship likely started when he was about 18 or 19. Regardless. A man in his mid to late 50s should not be with a man that young.

I think the teenager stuff is skewing this a bit. He appears to have met him when he was a child. Teenager might be interpreted as 18.
There are literally photos of him with the kid looking around 12.

Edit: and it appears that Schofield followed the runner on Twitter when he was 15.

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
Really sad that the rumors turned out to be true…

Love the tip-toeing coded language around it like "an affair with a much younger man" (i.e. pedophile grooming an underage kid but pretending like nothing romantic happened for years, until the magical 18th birthday so it was all very legal) or "ITV conducted an investigation" (i.e. they learned about it in 2020 and chose to cover up the disgusting practices for three years, until it was impossible to).

The Kevin Spacey playbook in full effect where they play the coming out sympathy card in a pathetic sleight of hand attempt to drown out the disgusting parts. And hurt the gay community in the process (better explained in previous posts). Next steps are likely that the NDAs are expiring soon, the allegations/rumors that it wasn't just one kid are going to come to light over the next few weeks, previous co-hosts will say they knew all along (but didn't do shit about it), that it's been an open secret for years, they'll find the places where he has his "entertainment" parties, he'll disappear from public eye, and he'll still be dandy forever after because privilege and power trumps any criminal consequences.

The irony of his outraged testimony against his convicted pedophile brother is not missed either. He knew about it, just didn't bother reporting it to the police and covered up for his pedophile brother. Guess it runs in the family.

I hope the younger staffer gets to at least keep his anonymity… EDIT: I'm wrong, of course his name and detailed photo history is already out there.

EDIT 2: going on a deep dive about this, it's so much worse than I was aware of. Fucking hell.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021
A shame and probably not that shocked about it. Very sus if if was "grooming" the guy before he was of age. But if he was legal age when they starting seeing each other, it is technically legal. But this seems like it was happening long before in a sense.

What I am not looking forward to is this potentially been used to vilify the LGBTQ+ community. So many people don't have the strength to come out until much later in life, if at all. And shit like this just does not help that.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
It's awful, what an older generation of people, had to do, and things they had to pretend. And that some still have to.
I just read Rob Halford's biography and felt awful for him, just deeply saddened and disgusted (not by him but the pressure he felt to stay in the closet) the whole way through. Especially considering how he was taken advantage of and molested by older guys when he was still a teen and felt unable to tell anyone because he wasn't sure if that was just part of being gay or not.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Aaaah....

HIGNFY didn't mention that part of it.

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Donepalace You should have put some context into your post, given you bumped a thread last posted in 2020 - those of us in the UK will be aware but internationally would need the context.

For reference:

www.bbc.co.uk

Phillip Schofield admits lying about relationship with younger ITV employee

The 61-year-old is leaving ITV with immediate effect as he apologises for misleading employers, his family and the public.

www.bbc.co.uk

Phillip Schofield: ITV investigated rumours of relationship

Schofield quit ITV on Friday after admitting he'd had an affair with a younger male colleague and lied to cover it up.

I'm sure there'll be a lot more to come out of this - specifically regarding ITV's handling of their investigation - but right now I'm sad and disappointed the rumours were true, I had hoped at worse it was just a smear campaign against him.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Aaaah....

HIGNFY didn't mention that part of it.

To be clear, this is what we would consider to be twitter rumours right now. The rumours have been on twitter for a very long time. I saw the rumours last year. I just treated them as rumours back then, but after seeing the statement Schofield put out? Hmmm. I now believe the rumours likely are true. But nobody can say 100% they are true.

I would guess the scummy tabloids of the country are desperately scrambling to buy the story from the young man involved. I suspect it will all come out over the next few weeks. And I suspect that is the only reason Schofield's management company dropped him. They know it is all about to come out.

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
To be clear, this is what we would consider to be twitter rumours right now. The rumours have been on twitter for a very long time. I saw the rumours last year. I just treated them as rumours back then, but after seeing the statement Schofield put out? Hmmm. I now believe the rumours likely are true. But nobody can say 100% they are true.

I would guess the scummy tabloids of the country are desperately scrambling to buy the story from the young man involved. I suspect it will all come out over the next few weeks. And I suspect that is the only reason Schofield's management company dropped him. They know it is all about to come out.

Correct. It's in the pre-emotive damage-control phase at the moment. It's going to get really grim and I hope his career and reputation get obliterated into oblivion. I gave up on thinking there would be any criminal consequences for these nonces so that's the best we'll get.

And not to make light of it but because after reading about it much more than I should have to keep my inner cool, this at least helped get a chuckle out of me.

View: https://twitter.com/gymdude_16/status/1662151231760891906

Status
Not open for further replies.