• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
The brazen killing of a mother and her son at close range by an off-duty officer has caused outrage in the Philippines and reignited calls for reform of the country's police force.

The incident, which was recorded by a witness on film, has intensified criticism of the president, Rodrigo Duterte, who has been accused by rights groups of allowing police and the military to act with impunity.

Graphic footage shared on social media shows a plainclothes policeman arguing with his neighbour and her adult son before abruptly shooting them both from close range. The officer, Jonel Nuezca, who handed himself in to police on Sunday, has been charged with two counts of murder.

Nuezca had reportedly argued with his neighbours over their use of a boga, a firecracker popular during the Christmas and new year celebrations, before attempting to arrest the son, 25-year-old Frank Gregario. Footage showed Frank's mother, Sonya, clinging on to her son to prevent him from being taken away, before the officer shoots them both twice.

Rights groups, however, point out that Duterte has repeatedly encouraged officers to kill suspects, and even promised to protect them from prosecution. He once warned activists not to file cases against police and army officers for extrajudicial killings, stating, "they will never go to prison – not under my watch".

Duterte, who rejects all accusations of wrongdoing, maintains popular support. Yet he also faces continued international scrutiny over his controversial war on drugs, which has led to the deaths of tens of thousands of people, according to some estimates. Last week, the international criminal court said there was "reasonable basis" to believe that crimes against humanity has been committed during the crackdown.

A UN report on the drugs war, released in June, said there had been "near impunity" for extrajudicial killings. It added there was a risk rhetoric by the highest officials had emboldened police to behave as though they have "permission to kill".

www.theguardian.com

Philippines: mother and son murder by police officer ignites calls for change

Incident intensifies criticism of President Duterte, accused of allowing police to act with impunity

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
One of my coworkers on another team is from there. He's now an American citizen and every time I bring up Duterte, he says "all the news about him is a lie. Don't believe what they say about his country. Duterte is a great guy."

But he also votes for Trump, which means Duterte truly is a terrible person.

I hope the mother and her son Rest In Peace and justice is served.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna have to get rid of that fascist in charge, first. Can't look the other way when the police are given the ability to freely murder anyone with drugs on them (or claimed to have drugs on them), and them be upset over something like this.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
More information is out and he's a problem officer, and is not very good
photo.php

photo.php

The police officer Jonel Nuezca was home, when a Boga(Firecracker for celebration) went off outside<No info on who use it>
Jonel pulled out his gun and taking his daughter and went and confronted his neighbor, 52 year old Sonya Gregorio and her son 25 year old Frank Greogorio

No information on if they had past quarrel, but they immediatly started argueing, Frank's mother came out to hold her son back and shield him from Jonel, while Jonel's underage daughter is esculating the situation, and yelling, my father is not a murderer, he's a policeman, argueing with 52 year old Sonya, while Jonel has a gun pointed at Frank's head, while Sonya yelling back, I don't care, I don't care if you are police.

Jonel then fired three shot at Sonya and two shot to Frank, neighbor hearing and seeing came to help, but got chased and hit away by Jonel and his daughter preventing them from giving aid, and physically hitting them, including the daughter pulling on the hair of a older lady to get her to leave,

After a short while, Jonel seem to have realized he made a big mistake, and got on his motorbike and rode away, but the footage have already been shared on social media and news are reporting it and he turned himself in a few hour ago.

Now that his identiy is release, his history as a police is also now known
He has had two case of "legally killing person"(New rule that Durate put in to kill drug dealer)
Embazzlement, failing drug test, bad attidude, disrespecting the court and more

And also, why can he have his gun, if he is going home on holiday for vacation, it is because of new executive order by the president that allow police to carry gun even when not being police.

global.udn.com

警察父女的殺人執照?菲律賓世界悲憤的「塔拉克母子槍殺案」 | 轉角國際 udn Global

「我爸才不是殺人魔,我爸是警察!」亞洲最大的天主教國家菲律賓,本該正進入耶誕節-新年的歡慶氣氛,不料一部在社群網路上瘋傳的「殺人影片」卻引爆了全國怒火。事件發生在菲律賓呂宋島中部的塔拉克,52歲的鎮民婦人索妮亞.葛瑞果里奧(Sonya Gregorio)與她25歲的兒子法蘭克(Frank...

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but I fucking hate how it states last week the international criminal court said they was a good case that human rights may have been abused during this fucker's war on drugs.....may??? MAY??? mother fucker has been openly bragging about shooting people who are suspected of taking or having drugs on sight with no trial or way of defense and we still out here acting like human rights may have been abused to play nice? This dude is outright ordering mass murders and the world and human rights courts are at a "may" be abused situation? The fuck out of here. I hope one day he finally faces justice from his people and not a nice one at that.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
It seems obvious that he is letting the police and military have free reign so when it comes time for him to remain forever leader they will back his play.

Are there term limits?

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It seems obvious that he is letting the police and military have free reign so when it comes time for him to remain forever leader they will back his play.

Are there term limits?
There are but almost everyone in the government is now under the president and most of the higher ups are appointed by him. He also appoints key military people as heads of non-military units. Almost everyone in the congress and the senate bow down to his whims. So yeah, country is pretty much done.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
There are but almost everyone in the government is now under the president and most of the higher ups are appointed by him. He also appoints key military people as heads of non-military units. Almost everyone in the congress and the senate bow down to his whims. So yeah, country is pretty much done.

Man that's really terrible how did this guy get voted in did he just start doing all this stuff after he was elected or was this something he ran on doing and people just liked the sound of it?

I know we have our own problems here in the United States but this is just pure madness. Although that being said I have no doubt Trump would do the same thing if he could get away with it.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My (admittedly superficial) understanding is that Duterte is popular because he supposedly stands against corruption, and corruption is so rampant there that it's just seen as a way of life. The extra-judicial killings are a problem, sure, but corruption and drugs are seen as worse, and he's working against those.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It is sickening. And it's sad that it seems any time I hear news about Philippines, it's something negative and if it's not a typhoon, usually it has something to do with Duterte . Truly feel sorry for people suffering under him.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

Are there term limits?

Yes there's term limits, it's only one term. Also Duterte has health problems so he's not going full dictator by trying to change the constitution. His allies have tried delaying the next election though, which is in 2022.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
Yes there's term limits, it's only one term. Also Duterte has health problems so he's not going full dictator by trying to change the constitution. His allies have tried delaying the next election though, which is in 2022.

Well I guess if there's any silver lining it's that he will hopefully only serve one more term if he can force his way into it.

I suppose there's no guarantee that somebody just as bad won't take his place but at least there's the knowledge that it won't be him for the next 20 plus years.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philippine police has been like this ever since. It's nothing new. Their reputation has always been shit. It just so happens that this got caught on a phone video.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My (admittedly superficial) understanding is that Duterte is popular because he supposedly stands against corruption, and corruption is so rampant there that it's just seen as a way of life. The extra-judicial killings are a problem, sure, but corruption and drugs are seen as worse, and he's working against those.

Nope. He only uses drugs for him to have something to be against for. In order to become a hero, he needs his villain sort of thing.

Things are a lot worse now here.His handling of the pandemic showed his true colors as an incompetent leader. He's so big with giving impunity that cases like abuse are now rising.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Well I guess if there's any silver lining it's that he will hopefully only serve one more term if he can force his way into it.

I suppose there's no guarantee that somebody just as bad won't take his place but at least there's the knowledge that it won't be him for the next 20 plus years.

No, another term of him would be horrible. lol

Him having ailing health is good for the country's democracy, well what's left of it. Also his VP is his current opposition, since the President and VP are not voted in as a ticket, they run separate elections.

Duterte 2 is if his daughter runs in 2022.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Duterte and fuck this guy and people like him. Pieces of shit.

Poor lady and her son... I hope justice prevails.