• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Shit. I'm a Taokaka main, this hits really different.

Rest in Peace to such an amazingly talented womanšŸ’™

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Have heard her work since I was a kid, damn. I even played Somnium Files a few months ago. Her work as Mayumi was outstanding and heart-rending.

RIP to an absolute legend.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, RIP.
Maybe that's why she didn't reprise Mimi in Last Evolution Kizuna.
I'm not certain. Apparently she died of a heart attack which can happen out of nowhere.

Philece Sampler, Digimon and The Legend of Korra Star, Dies at 67 (comicbook.com)

Plus she was in Deadly Premonition 2 which came out last year. My guess it was scheduling issues due to COVID, same reason why the voice of Davis missed out, as he couldn't set up his home studio in time for the sessions.

Either way, this hurts so much. :( She was also that Mom in Battle B-Daman as well IIRC (which had a very blatant Digimon-esc dub IMO). Her voice was pretty unmistakable. My worries now are also of how Mona Marshall (Izzy) is doing, as she's whopping 73 apparently (her age is no longer on Wikipedia but googling it shows it). That's a lot older than I would've ever thought. Hope the best for her. And RIP Philece. :'(

OP
OP
Strider_Blaze

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Either way, this hurts so much. :( She was also that Mom in Battle B-Daman as well IIRC (which had a very blatant Digimon-esc dub IMO). Her voice was pretty unmistakable. My worries now are also of how Mona Marshall (Izzy) is doing, as she's whopping 73 apparently (her age is no longer on Wikipedia but googling it shows it). That's a lot older than I would've ever thought. Hope the best for her. And RIP Philece. :'(

Oy, yeah pretty worried for Mona Marshall as well, though she's currently still active being a regular in South Park as Shiela and having recently voiced Henriette in Fire Emblem Heroes. But one can never know when that time comes.

So far seen some prominent voice actors pay their respects and how much of an impact it had in their childhoods. No doubt this emotionally hurts, as a person who watched Digimon Adventure back in the day. Mimi was definitely among my favorite characters in the anime alongside Sora.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
Damn. Sad news. She'll always be Mimi to me. Her voice made the character. No idea she was old Toph, though. But jeez, crazy news. šŸ˜•

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Real sad to wake up to this, she was a huge contributor in media I enjoyed as a kid, to stuff I'm still enjoying today--respect to her work ethic. RIP Ms. Sampler, you will be missed.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Damn, 67 is way too young. Rest in peace; Digimon helped me cope with the difficult parts of my teenage years.