• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a dumb law to me. If there are lots of people stuck on cash only then there will still be plenty of stores accepting cash anyway.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Cash is stupid. The items you're buying already include a 2.5% markup to cover transaction costs and all cash does is make it inefficient as it holds up lines. Move on and mandate bank accounts with debit cards.

Post office banking with no-fee accounts. It would be the only way to kind of get that universality.

There's a lot of inefficiency in cash despite the transaction fees of credit. Security liabilities, armed guards and transportation, more units of exchange meaning more maintenance and upkeep for destroyed currency. I'd rather we just focus on the access problems that the poor have to banks and debit cards.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
This is the stupidest shit I've read all day. I couldn't tell you the last time I had cash in my wallet.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've never heard of stores not accepting cash. And I wish more places accepted Apple Pay. We're in the twenty first century. Paying by cc takes forever.

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting the solution is "ban technology" rather than give poor people bank accounts with debt cards. Clearly politicians love to pass the buck on discrimination.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Philly Mayor Jim Kenney: We should ban cashless stores because it adversely affects poor people (an accurate statement)
Me: What about the soda tax you use that taxes everything that isn't water or 100% juice by the ounce, which sure looks and sounds like a poor person tax
Kenney: GO BIIRRRRRDDDS
Me: What that's not going to help you now

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting the solution is "ban technology" rather than give poor people bank accounts with debt cards. Clearly politicians love to pass the buck on discrimination.

people who pay with card can -still- pay with card. nothing got banned from use

our business usually has a couple grand in transaction fees during the year, so we prefer cash if people wanna pay that way

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Yep. I work in corporate for a retail company and we last heard that 20% of our customers use cash. There is too much of the population that only uses it based on income/wealth or other factors

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Unless stores are mandated to have some way for people who don't have access to phones or other technology, I don't see how a cashless store would never not be discriminatory in nature. It makes much more sense to force stores to accept cash than try to and force stores to have some sort of work around for those who don't have access to cashless technology.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, I can't fathom a business not wanting cash.

In NYC I usually deal with the opposite (cash-only establishments) or places that want you to spend a minimum to use a card (likely because them eating the fee is only worth it past a certain total). Some places actually tack the merchant fee onto your charge.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, this is just pushing the issue further down the line rather than actually solving it. When cash-less options expand, what would stop a company from charging people who use cash extra? Or just not giving back any change? They still accept cash, but the people that end up suffering the most would still end up being the poor.

The better solution I think would've been to expand access to debit cards. Ensure that everyone has easy/free access to an ATM and can easily get a debit card, along with free smartphone options for poorer people. This also has the added benefit of helping secure people's money since it's far easier to deal with a stolen card than money out of your wallet.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, this is just pushing the issue further down the line rather than actually solving it. When cash-less options expand, what would stop a company from charging people who use cash extra? Or just not giving back any change? They still accept cash, but the people that end up suffering the most would still end up being the poor.

The better solution I think would've been to expand access to debit cards. Ensure that everyone has easy/free access to an ATM and can easily get a debit card, along with free smartphone options for poorer people. This also has the added benefit of helping secure people's money since it's far easier to deal with a stolen card than money out of your wallet.
Better solution maybe but hardly a realistic one.

Oct 25, 2017
How exactly is it banning technology? It's giving customers more options.

The quotes were to make it tongue in cheek but it's a regressive stance. Physical money is dirty, costs resounces to manufacture and is inefficient. Paper bags and plastic straws are also options, but we've specifically outlawed those because they do not represent modern values of efficency, here it's optional to operate. But I feel bad for snarking because it seemed to be the only takeaway quoters had. Not the idea of basic necessities and elevating the baseline. None of these people actually care, it's really just old people who are culturally attached to money making excuses and ignoring obvious and superior solutions.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The quotes were to make it tongue in cheek but it's a regressive stance. Physical money is dirty, costs resounces to manufacture and is inefficient. Paper bags and plastic straws are also options, but we've specifically outlawed those too because they do not represent modern values of efficentcy. But I feel bad for snarking because seemed to be the only takeaway. Not the idea of basic necessities and elevating the baseline. None of these people actually care, it's really just old people who are culturally attached to money making excuses and ignoring obvious and superior solutions.

Huh? No it isn't. There's 14 million people without bank accounts and not accepting cash necessarily discriminates against poor people.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? No it isn't. There's 14 million people without bank accounts and not accepting cash necessarily discriminates against poor people.

You misread the post. Banking should be a right garaunteed by the government. Not just for cashless stores but because it measurably improves financial outcomes and prevents addional garnishing of pay. How about politicians stand up for that.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You misread the post. Banking should be a right garaunteed by the government. Not just for cashless stores but because it measurably improves financial outcomes and prevents addional garnishing of pay. How about politicians stand up for that.

Because that's a very long term goal and poor people are having their access restricted now.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Philly Mayor Jim Kenney: We should ban cashless stores because it adversely affects poor people (an accurate statement)
Me: What about the soda tax you use that taxes everything that isn't water or 100% juice by the ounce, which sure looks and sounds like a poor person tax
Kenney: GO BIIRRRRRDDDS
Me: What that's not going to help you now
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Because that's a very long term goal and poor people are having their access restricted now.

Then it's even worse we're accepting non-solutions while we're in a transition period. These idiots think they fixed the problem. I understand the politics are the same for job automation and climate change but compared to those this is a complete slam dunk. The technology exists and is dirt cheap, ebt is already most of the way there.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Can we also ban cash only and minimum credit card purchase limits

Technically, those minimum purchase limits are directly against the TOS of the credit card companies and you can report stores for doing that. But why would you? The fee does hurt them so I get it.

Also, as somebody who lives in a building with a cashless store that was broken into a few weeks ago, I feel like a lot of posters are ignoring the rather obvious benefit of going cashless - no cash to steal.

I certainly get the issues with it but it feels more like people who are against it are upset about conditions in their city more than what the stores are doing. Going cashless isn't some inherently anti-poor slick move, it simplifies literally everything about keeping books, tracking customer spending, paying taxes, and safety. I'd rather we not live in this constant tracking world, but this move seems kinda silly, plus it's not like it's required for online vendors so it's just another burden on local store owners who are trying to simplify.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Seriously why do people not want to take cash and would rather pay the 3% merchant transaction fee?

There are costs to managing cash. Fee can be cheaper.

You prevent people who can't get credit cards (children/people with bad credit/homeless people) from shopping at your store
Millions of people have no bank account.

Amex Serve debit cards are free.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

There has been some talks about the latter in recent years, mainly with the idea of adding turning post offices into credit unions (plus, still taking care of mail and other things). It would help both the post office and numerous communities where banking options are limited, restrictive, etc. It hasn't gotten a lot of traction, though, as its a pretty low-key policy.

Technically, those minimum purchase limits are directly against the TOS of the credit card companies and you can report stores for doing that. But why would you? The fee does hurt them so I get it.

Also, as somebody who lives in a building with a cashless store that was broken into a few weeks ago, I feel like a lot of posters are ignoring the rather obvious benefit of going cashless - no cash to steal.

I certainly get the issues with it but it feels more like people who are against it are upset about conditions in their city more than what the stores are doing. Going cashless isn't some inherently anti-poor slick move, it simplifies literally everything about keeping books, tracking customer spending, paying taxes, and safety. I'd rather we not live in this constant tracking world, but this move seems kinda silly, plus it's not like it's required for online vendors so it's just another burden on local store owners who are trying to simplify.

Theft insurance does exist for businesses.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, you know how to tell you are a completely self involved person? When you think society and law should conform to your personal preferences.
Yeah the people who are against this are either really self involved or ignorant.

Most poor people will never have a credit card or bank account and live check to check just barely getting by.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Stupid question: What are the odds this gets appealed? Assuming the store has chains in multiple states could they claim only the federal government can restrict their payment options under Article 1 Section 8?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Until a city actually does productive steps to solve homelessness or poverty then I will never accept that they are doing anything to help low-income in earnest. This just reeks of nothing to me.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then it's even worse we're accepting non-solutions while we're in a transition period. These idiots think they fixed the problem. I understand the politics are the same for job automation and climate change but compared to those this is a complete slam dunk. The technology exists and is dirt cheap, ebt is already most of the way there.

This makes no sense. They can't fix the problem of poor people not having bank accounts or permanent addresses or proper identification or the myriad other things needed to properly bank currently in anything approaching a reasonably short timeline. They can implement this simple change to address a problem that exists and do nothing to slow the adoption of cashless options.

Amex Serve debit cards are free.

They're not free to reload and also have a $1 monthly fee. The free reload one has a $5 monthly fee.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017

Yup. I don't know if it's temporary because there are some renovations going on, but a grocery store near me just added more self checkouts and the majority of them do not accept cash.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seriously why do people not want to take cash and would rather pay the 3% merchant transaction fee?

There's multiple reasons:

1. It prevents theft, both from people robbing the register (since there's no money) but also from money being "taken" off the top by the workers.
2. It makes the process easier and quicker to buy, you don't hold up the line getting out money, having to deduct the money they give you into change and then give that back to them, etc.

Also taking cash isn't "free" at all for retailers, they have to pay for armored cars to pick it up, they have to pay bank fees, they have to get change from the banks (to make sure they have enough change to break the bills from customers throughout the day), etc, which all add up.

Going cashless just makes the whole thing easier on the retailer, they can put the 3% fee into the price of their products too so the consumers eat the cost, not them. So in the end it's quicker and easier to get customers through the store and their workers don't have to constantly deal with money, exchanging it, etc.

The drawback is that it ends up hurting the lower income people and those that don't have access to credit/debit cards or online payment services.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my big beef is that a cashless society gives too much power to the gov't and corporations.

"Sooperkool, we don't like what you've been saying about us"

Next thing you know I have no access to either my money or that entire corporations services at the tap of a button.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. As a SBO, I would want cash for transactions any day of the week. Merchant Proc fees are robbery.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hate using cash to the point my 'wallet' just holds cards and a few notes at best and haven't carried cash in maybe a decade but still I think the idea of a no cash store is dumb.

OP
OP
TarpitCarnivore
Oct 25, 2017

My counter to this: Gas stations that charge more for credit, or stores that impose minimums for using credit. These things already happen, so I don't think you're argument is super strong here.