• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Gaming platforms like Xbox Live and PSN are already controlled to a certain point. You cant create offensive Nicknames and most curse words are auto censored when u type messages.
I see bigger toxicity in social media platforms. Some gamers can be very toxic through mic, but other than a report button, thers not much these big corporation can do to prevent ppl from saying whatever they want. And both platforms already have report options.

Last edited:

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
65101858_644646469342806_6451283320905924608_n.jpg
64896366_644646522676134_6822931045801787392_n.jpg
I've seen this so sooooooo much on Twitter. Not this specifically, but similar posts. Pretty much why I made the comment that I did because they're as predictable as can be.

Plus, with the line between parody and reality blurring to the point of disappearing, it's just easier at this point to say the hell with them all.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Basic level of decency goes a long way, this kind of positioning is exceptional considering how alienating it is to the usual suspects of far right wing gamers.

Good on Phil Spencer for saying this.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Sony could say the same. The vile, toxic garbage on that platform seems to be permanent.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
He's absolutely right and companies - particularly Google, FB, and Twitter - not being upfront about this or even really upholding it at all is a huge part of why we're dealing with a generation of neo-fascists born online. It's why we have idiotic "debates" about "censorship". These companies are not government bodies nor are they beholden to the first amendment.

Not even to give MS too much credit, it's just nice to hear you're not going crazy every now again. Some of these people in charge do actually still live in objective reality.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, Xbox is promoting and giving free stuff to alt right youtube "partners" of Xbox. There was a thread about one here that was straight up advocating to killing women (A brazilian Channel)

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
Good read. Refreshing to see someone in the tech/gaming world be crystal clear about this.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
It's good Phil is trying to tackle this now, but back in 2007, the n word was thrown around on XBL like candy & women couldn't speak a word without getting harassed, this is one of the reasons i moved more to PC/PS3 for online in those days. XBL was more toxic than fucking 4chan.
I'm not dismissing your claims and I'm sorry that you had this kind of experience, but the racism I experienced in PS3 because of being a Mexican with a thick accent trying to speak English made me drop all kinds of community gaming stuff and I play completely alone since then. I completely refuse to speak that language other than for work reasons because of that.

This is not a "gotcha post", it's rather a commentary on how infuriating it is to have to share a hobby with truly awful people and I'm glad someone like Phil is raising his voice so people like you or me don't experience this while playing games.

For the record, I play on PS4, XB1 and PC, all of those platforms are ridden with assholes like that, so changing a console or environment didn't help at all mitigating that problem.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I'm not dismissing your claims and I'm sorry that you had this kind of experience, but the racism I experienced in PS3 because of being a Mexican with a thick accent trying to speak English made me drop all kinds of community gaming stuff and I play completely alone since then. I completely refuse to speak that language other than for work reasons because of that.

This is not a "gotcha post", it's rather a commentary on how infuriating it is to have to share a hobby with truly awful people and I'm glad someone like Phil is raising his voice so people like you or me don't experience this while playing games.

For the record, I play on PS4, XB1 and PC, all of those platforms are ridden with assholes like that, so changing a console or environment didn't help at all mitigating that problem.
True, sadly most online communities are pretty toxic, just XBL seemed to me at least as by far the worst. it could be anecdotal of course but im not the only one to point out how bad it use to be (this 500k liked viral tweet). Microsoft generally refused to do anything about it back then, it's good to see them step up.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Pardon my ignorance but how are the two platforms different in this regard (besides this statement from Spencer)?
Sony's moderation and support is total garbage. It's like they live to make the end user suffer. I've reported people for things they've messaged me on PSN countless times and have had NOTHING come from it. It's a joke.

True, sadly most online communities are pretty toxic, just XBL seemed to me at least as by far the worst. it could be anecdotal of course but im not the only one to point out how bad it use to be (this 500k liked viral tweet). Microsoft generally refused to do anything about it back then, it's good to see them step up.

To be fair, moderating voice chat is a whole different ballpark

Roy

Oct 27, 2017

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
I mean, it is there platform. I don't think of this as something like Snapchat. You get banned for cussing out people, so this isn't really all that shocking.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the right approach. Free speech does not include hate speech and bullying, so get that scum out of Xbox Live.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Makes complete sense. One of my big annoyances is people who shout "my free speech!" with a complete lack of understanding what that even means.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly enough I had this casual debate while playing Halo 3 with my Californian friend back in the day lol he popped up about first amendment while I raised the point about what's socially acceptable while using LIVE/T's&C's etc. We won a fair few games AND reached a fair middle ground on the matter. Our team must game thought we were high AF or something lol.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the best argument against free speech platforms is to actually provide examples of places that trumpet themselves as being free speech platforms; Voat, 4chan, 8chan, Gab, etc.

Golly, I wonder what those all have in common..

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I like this, nothing upsets me more than seeing people try and justify "smack talk" over mics and game chat as just "harmless" when the truth is, it's a form of bullying imo.

The problem is, not everybody wants to be screamed at because they made a mistake in an online game, constructive criticism is fine but more often than not unmoderated smack talk, in my experience, always devolves into racial slurs or sexist slurs or just hateful stuff in general, like telling people to kill themselves or "get cancer" just horrible disgusting things you should never say to another person.

Any stance against this kind of thing is great as far as I am concerned.

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
I always think it's funny (and bizarre) that in the US freedom of speech means saying anything including hate speech and bigotry, whereas in Europe it means saying anything as long as it is not derogatory to anyone else

It's the same in both places, what people don't understand is that it doesnt mean freedom of consequence.

Can't wait to see all the alt right youtubers make vids about how Xbox is now dead over this.

Great, less toxic environment then :).

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, here at E3 there's some guy I've been playing games with for almost three years online. He lives in Arkansas, I've never met him face to face, I play two or three nights a week with him, and we tend to play with an African-American guy who lives in New Jersey and the three of us. And I think about what social construct on our planet today brings a guy who runs a funeral home in Arkansas, a video game guy in Seattle, and a construction worker in New Jersey together in one fireteam to go run Destinystrikes together. When I feel that connective capability—I've been in this industry for a long time—I think about both being at Microsoft and using the platform that we have as one of the largest global companies. What does it mean for Microsoft to be in gaming? What should we stand for? And then being deliberate about that.

I'm sure I've heard him recount this before. It's what gaming can be and absolutely should aspire to be.

Systolique

Oct 26, 2017
It's the same in both places, what people don't understand is that it doesnt mean freedom of consequence.

Not at all, rallies like the one in Charlottesvile (or any other manifestation like this one) are illegal in Europe -- at least most of it.
By illegal I mean you'd go to trial instantly and face jail time or/and heavy penalties if you did anything close to what happened there, it also applies to what is said on the internet ; and that's why Europe is hard pushing against big social networks like Twitter and Facebook on moderation.

If Phil Spencer was representing a company from Europe he would have said : "Of course Xbox Live is platform where we enforce freedom of speech, and that's why you can't have toxicity there"

Edit : US and the European view on freedom of speech are so FUNDAMENTALLY different both legally and philosophically, I'm amazed someone could say they aren't

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
The amount of respect I have for Phil Spencer increased ten fold.

This is the right attitude and he gets it.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
He's absolutely right.

However, this will undoubtedly fire up the "muh free speech!" and "stop censoring us!" segment of Gamers™.

Well, for xbox that will only make it better if they boycott. Now if only Sony would say the same thing so they'd stay away from PSN (we don't want them either)! And Nintendo... and then they'd be left with... well fuck it, they did it to themselves.

Nov 30, 2017
I always think it's funny (and bizarre) that in the US freedom of speech means saying anything including hate speech and bigotry, whereas in Europe it means saying anything as long as it is not derogatory to anyone else

Not really in the US and Canada one can sue for defamation of character.

Now that I think about it I wonder if a class action lawsuit could be possible against youtubers who defame the characters of a race or a sex of people

Oct 25, 2017

Xbox Live becoming a shorthand for toxicity is basically a combination of 360 coming out a year earlier than PS3, more people using headsets in general compared to PSN and none of them having played Counterstrike on PC for any appreciable length of time because that was a truly harrowing experience.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

360 chat was ruthless. Honestly made me numb to any form of shit talking in video games. The in-game chat, the messages that people would send and still nothing would happen..

It's definitely come a long way since, but I think that's more party chat being a thing than any actual moderation from the xbox team. It's hard to be called a nigger 40 times in 2 minutes when they're in their Proud Boys Party Chat.

Systolique

Oct 26, 2017
Not really in the US and Canada one can sue for defamation of character.

Now that I think about it I wonder if a class action lawsuit could be possible against youtubers who defame the characters of a race or a sex of people

I don't know for Canada, but for the US it's in the constitution that any opinion can be represented as long as it doesn't incite immediate physical harm to anyone.
In Europe, hate speech or sexism are not opinions ; they are crimes, literally.

Nov 30, 2017
I don't know for Canada, but for the US it's in the constitution that any opinion can be represented as long as it doesn't incite immediate physical harm to anyone.
In Europe, hate speech or sexism are not opinions ; they are crimes, literally.

In the United States, federal defamation law is closely tied to the First Amendment. As a result, federal slander and libel laws are more defendant-friendly in the U.S. than those in common law countries, like the U.K. and Canada. In short, opinion is not considered defamation in the U.S. That being said, false statements of fact that harm the reputation of an individual or business, aren't protected under Constitutional Free Speech provisions.

Systolique

Oct 26, 2017
In the United States, federal defamation law is closely tied to the First Amendment. As a result, federal slander and libel laws are more defendant-friendly in the U.S. than those in common law countries, like the U.K. and Canada. In short, opinion is not considered defamation in the U.S. That being said, false statements of fact that harm the reputation of an individual or business, aren't protected under Constitutional Free Speech provisions.

Yes, but my point was basically : reading the headline here (in Europe) "Phil Spencer: 'Xbox Live is not a free speech platform'" means the exact opposite of what Phil explains in his interview.

So it's always weirdly amusing to see how disconnected both definitions of "freedom of speech" are across the Atlantic.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the best argument against free speech platforms is to actually provide examples of places that trumpet themselves as being free speech platforms; Voat, 4chan, 8chan, Gab, etc.

Golly, I wonder what those all have in common..
The thing is, "unmoderated" platforms become a haven for shitty people and the decent folk leave so it's only those shitty people that have a voice there. They're moderated by default, only to the benefit of the assholes.
Xbox Live becoming a shorthand for toxicity is basically a combination of 360 coming out a year earlier than PS3, more people using headsets in general compared to PSN and none of them having played Counterstrike on PC for any appreciable length of time because that was a truly harrowing experience.
I remember xbox live having the thing where you select the level of "trash talk"? I have no idea if it actually made a difference in the type of people you were matched with. but even back then I felt it was a cop-out and just a golden ticket to be an asshole online.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Cool. There are very few instances where speech should be regulated in public life however. If a private entity wants to regulate expression on their platform then go for it. I would hope that they would have clear terms and enforce as evenly as possible but it is clearly the right of a private entity to regulate speech within their platform.