• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, discriminating, or having an aversion to any group based on race, gender or sexuality isnt a right or valid speech, ban them all. Keep up the good work Phil.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing...

Phil talks that inclusive talk but his ceo leadership team likes to frequent youtube podcasts, hosted by the most vile and sometimes homophobic youtube personalities. When his XBOX team block or refrain from associating with those personalities, I'll take him seriously. Until that time it feels like PR for PR's sake in my humble opinion.
Nothing much else to add

May 25, 2019
London
Phil is saying all the right things. I wanted to add lately but he and the rest of the team there have been doing a lot of the right things for a good while already.

As for what the rest of Microsoft is doing, that's outside of the Xbox division's control. It's one of those "and yet you participate in society" kind of arguments. Like, okay, and? At least some part of the company is making an effort to improve things. That's better than nothing at all.

No, we must make perfect the enemy of good

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Here's the thing...

Phil talks that inclusive talk but his ceo leadership team likes to frequent youtube podcasts, hosted by the most vile and sometimes homophobic youtube personalities. When his XBOX team block or refrain from associating with those personalities, I'll take him seriously. Until that time it feels like PR for PR's sake in my humble opinion.

What's this about exactly ? I don't remember any thread here about that stuff.

I thought that was a great thing to say from Phil

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see all the alt right youtubers make vids about how Xbox is now dead over this.

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

"freezepeach" are rotten fruit these days because it obviously means "I want to be racist/sexist/asshole without dealing with the consequences of my actions" these days.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Here's the thing...

Yeah...it's weird how these gaming companies keep turning a blind eye to youtubers transgressions. Boogie still get invited to that Geoff Keighley thing ffs.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...it's weird how these gaming companies keep turning a blind eye to youtubers transgressions. Boogie still get invited to that Geoff Keighley thing ffs.
I bet that ass would have something to say about this.
I don't think so. You can't even curse on Xbox Live. Very few people have issues with that.
You don't think bigots get up in arms when they learn that platforms are not a haven for hate?

The-Demon

Alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
giphy.gif

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Eloquently said! Honestly, it's time to further isolate the sort of folks that hide behind "free speech" as an excuse for their toxic behavior. Banish them from normal societal interaction and we'll find there are fewer and fewer of them over time. Coddle them, and their ranks just grow until we're all dragged down into the mire.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I bet that ass would have something to say about this.

You don't think bigots get up in arms when they learn that platforms are not a haven for hate?
Not on Xbox Live, with huge restrictions since the beginning:
It's quite different from Facebook, YT and Twitter and places that claim to be open platforms. Or at least were and changed their guidelines a lot lately.
I wonder if any of the big social media platforms would have to guts to say the same thing. I highly doubt that.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing...

Show me those receipts, chief.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Absolutely right.

If you want an online gaming service to spew your bullshit, pick yourself up by you fucking bootstraps and build your own like the free market gods demand.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Here's the thing...

I came to make a post along these lines but you summed it up perfectly. Him motivating his team to stop supporting the platforms you mentioned would be a great decision to prove this isn't all just beating that good ole pr drum.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Here's the thing...

Youre right. Its a business move to associate with those people at the end of the day, but youre still right.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not on Xbox Live, with huge restrictions since the beginning:
It's quite different from Facebook, YT and Twitter and places that claim to be open platforms. Or at least were and changed their guidelines a lot lately.
I wonder if any of the big social media platforms would have to guts to say the same thing. I highly doubt that.
You say this like people online don't spew heinous shit even with rules in place.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
That's great to hear and I hope that sentiment is borne out in actions soon. A lot of the potential impact will emerge in the details of the policies, but it is a powerful first step for someone like Phil to give a clear articulation of the community guidelines are. Bravo!

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People seem to always forget that a private business has no obligation to protecting your freedom to say fucked up vile shit. If they choose to deny or allow it that is their right to do so, your partaking in it is your choice but the actions to that choice can't be argued against.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Should be a bog standard response.

Sad that it's not, but it's good he said it.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Here's the thing...

You're right. Youtube needs to clean house too. Weird to be saying in 2019 that Youtube needs to be more like Xbox Live, but MS need to quit supporting them too.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He's right. Sounds great to me. You simply cannot be inclusive without protecting people. This should simply be a standard across these services. MS making lots of great moves lately. Also, what OG_Thrills said. They also need to do better consistently.

Last edited:

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I commend him for this. Too often people forget that privately owned platforms like Twitter and Xbox Live don't owe you free speech, and I think that's a good thing if it means that they can stop hate speech and the like. Obviously some people will call it censorship and cause a scene about it, but as long as they're not silencing opinions they don't like and only using these powers to stop hate speech and other bigotry, I'm perfectly fine with it. If it gets to the point where they don't allow you to post negative comments about a game in a review for instance, then I would consider it going too far, but everyone has a right to feel safe while playing games and I'm glad to see Phil Spencer affirm that.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's good Phil is trying to tackle this now, but back in 2007, the n word was thrown around on XBL like candy & women couldn't speak a word without getting harassed, this is one of the reasons i moved more to PC/PS3 for online in those days. XBL was more toxic than fucking 4chan.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It really bothers me how many people have no clue what the 1st amendment and "the right to free speech" actually means and covers.

Baffling further that people seem to think their words and opinions should have no repercussions for them. Having the freedom to say what you please in no way means others can't judge you for those statements.