• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Ah yes I love the AIAS podcast. Ted is an excellent host who really does a great job at getting the guests to open up about even the negative aspects of game development. Unfiltered is usually pretty good as well, but I think it's in spite of Ryan as the host rather than because of him. So many of his questions are oversimplifications (or too much of a "fan" perspective) for my tastes, but he's had some really great guests on who usually do a great job anyway of giving detailed and illuminating answers.

Yea for sure, the IGN Unfiltered podcast is targeted towards regular people. I think of it more as a casual conversation between journalist and someone working in the industry, than something more educational. More for the "back in my days" stories. :D

I would love a podcast that goes into the details of how and why we couldn't get game clients to connect to game servers, only after 3 days of investigations by technical directors and software engineers, to notice that a change back in 2016 broke some parts of the pipeline that told our backends which items the clients should load and which items the servers should load, an issue that would only happen on a completely new map with only terrain and no additional assets or logic on it, but not a lot of people would be interested in learning about that insanity. :p

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Well there isn't much to talk about, unlike Sony or even Nintendo the Phil Spencer's Microsoft has been very open and clear so far, they don't hide anything to the public, I'm not interested in console besides Nintendo ones but he's doing a great job on PC too so i'm interested in this

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I look forward to Ryan endlessly asking Phil about bringing back Conker, Banjo, Crimson Skies (etc).

In all seriousness, I do hope Ryan asks Phil about the current state of XGS, as much as I enjoy listening to Phil, he never seems to get pressed enough on Xbox's issues with 1st party in interviews.

It's a fair question but this seems like a poor time to ask it. Phil will say "wait till E3" and then in just a couple months we will indeed have a much better idea of the state of first party:
- Halo Infinite gameplay reveal
- likely Fable reveal
- likely Initiative game reveal
- Next Forza reveal

And we'll see what else they have to show from their smaller studios.

If the question is more "how are the studios doing" I think we're not likely to get much new info but all indications have been good so far in terms of resources, independence, collaboration.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I look forward to Ryan endlessly asking Phil about bringing back Conker, Banjo, Crimson Skies (etc).

In all seriousness, I do hope Ryan asks Phil about the current state of XGS, as much as I enjoy listening to Phil, he never seems to get pressed enough on Xbox's issues with 1st party in interviews.
Hasn't Phil been pretty open about their issues with first-party? Either way, those issues seem to have been resolved.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
God I'm bored stiff, will watch this. Phil is always a good watch. Hope we get some nice info drops as well.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear Phil say like later release in some regions isnt great and didnt work well for xbox one also.
He says also the problems now are more software ready then hardware ready with all the new problems.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't want to ship hardware without the "software platform" there.

Said he wouldn't hold it for any individual game, talks about Halo specifically. 343 is doing well but "don't think we would hold the launch of the overall platform for any individual game"

My take is that the hardware is going to be ready to go this year, and between certain 1P and 3P games there is likely going to be enough to launch, but I'll just say my personal opinion is that Halo isn't going to make it this year. That's not an indictment of anyone or 343, just a potential reality We'll see!

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Said he wouldn't hold it for any individual game, talks about Halo specifically. 343 is doing well but "don't think we would hold the launch of the overall platform for any individual game"

My take is that the hardware is going to be ready to go this year, and between certain 1P and 3P games there is likely going to be enough to launch, but I'll just say my personal opinion is that Halo isn't going to make it this year. That's not an indictment of anyone or 343, just a potential reality We'll see!
Jup

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

Would be very disappointing, but not surprising. Leaning on 3rd party support wouldn't be a new idea for launch.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like $499+ is the goal, with them using other things like Gamepass, Backpat, etc., to better incentivize a higher pricetag

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

To be fair he said that 343 is doing well and they're still on target, but if for some reason something happened they wouldn't delay the launch of the Series X.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Would be very disappointing, but not surprising. Leaning on 3rd party support wouldn't be a new idea for launch.
Well, trying to finish dev on a game as huge as Halo Infinite amidst a global pandemic is new. And this is not exclusive to MS/343, I think there are constant conversations and moving targets at all huge game dev companies right now. Where things will stand even a few weeks from now is impossible to say.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Well, trying to finish dev on a game as huge as Halo Infinite amidst a global pandemic is new. And this is not exclusive to MS/343, I think there are constant conversations and moving targets at all huge game dev companies right now. Where things will stand even a few weeks from now is impossible to say.

Never suggested that there weren't novel reasons that Halo might not make launch.

Halo is a system seller for MS though; one of the few MS IPs that would fit that bill and be ready when considering dev cycles. It would be significant for it to miss the launch for console momentum. But I agree with his thoughts that delaying the system for just Halo wouldn't be the right move.

That said, learning on 3rd parties might work out alright for MS if they're able to demonstrate that their power advantage is a meaningful thing. Cross-gen 3rd party titles might not be the best titles to demonstrate that, but you never know. Seems like it would be the play for MS in this scenario.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Leading more into the games from now on. Still talking abit more about hardware but games will be the focus now.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Phil can't afford a decent headset or mic? C'mon man lol

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
What is the "question you wanted in your heart of hearts"?

Same as most platform holders and publishers - I'd like to see them pressed on their thoughts and actions around microtransactions. Phil has spoken before about how attempts to legislate away MTX are essentially a threat to their business (a position I can understand), but I'd like to see some pointed questions about how we got to the point that consumers and governments are this upset in the first place.

Likewise, Microsoft have not been shy about putting MTX in their multiplayer games/modes, and in the case of a game like Gears 5 those MTX were not well received by players. I'd ask him about that too.

The trick with media trained executives is to make sure they answer the question, instead of letting them deliver a soliloquy in response to a softer question you didn't ask.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I mean they can sell the hardware with a gamepass and call it a day thanks to bc.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
This is kind of a separate thing, but I always appreciate how Phil is always free with giving props to individual members all over his entire leadership team. You get the feeling that he knows and works with them well, and that there's real collaboration there. Also cool to see how many of the top positions are held by women, across marketing, engineering, management, etc. But obviously, just a small thing in some ways and still a long way off in other ways. But anyway. Phil's always cool haha.

Deleted member 63305

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 23, 2020
Him talking about how MSFT and their CEO are "linked" into their plans for a good price...get ready for a $450 price boys. This goes back to MSFT CAN and WILL take a hit to get as many devices into many hands.