• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Warzone is Call of Duty and will remain on PlayStation but if you want any other CoD product you will need a platform that supports Game Pass.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well me I read this like at least one CoD title will be on PS but the conditional ("our desire") means on a new contractual ground that needs to be discussed. It's a possibility that many mentionned here with Warzone.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
That's Phil's nice way of saying that the moment the current agreement expires, PlayStation is CODless.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
sony probably has a 3-5yr deal with AB in place already so it'll be awhile before it gets truly yanked, but yeh its time to look elsewhere sony.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It probably just best to just assume that 2-3 years from now Call of Duty will be exclusive on xbox/pc.

Oct 29, 2017
There's precedent either way. Minecraft Dungeons came out for PS4 but Starfield and apparently Elder Scrolls aren't coming to PS5. This could even mean Warzone keeps going on PS but other COD games don't. None of us randos will know until it happens. :)

Oct 27, 2017
People replying "oh just Warzone then".. curious what they mean.

Isn't Warzone the bit people actually still care about?

Not an exact science of course but Warzone is currently the 8th most popular stream on Twitch. Vanguard is far enough down that I couldn't be bothered to count. A few spots below Super Mario 64.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
You don't need to take away COD from PlayStation to promote Gamepass.

the fact that you can get COD free on Gamepass is already a massive selling factor - they just have to make the world know about it via marketing, exclusive content, beta etc. - while still making billions with the PlayStation sales.
They could even release the Xbox Version 1-2 months earlier.

I am not saying tough, that there is no reason/chance for them to be exclusive, just that i don't think it's outlandish to assume they might still appear on PlayStation.

I mean I thought that would be the case with MLB The Show this year but it being on Gamepass on another platform... did not hurt sales on the PS4/PS5 -at all-.

I would honestly be surprised if MS kept annual COD on PS5 unless Sony really was writing them a big check to make it worthwhile.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Given the cost and resources needed to produce a yearly CoD game, I guess it separates it from other games in what you probably want to do with it if you're MS. Similar issues would occur if Sony/MS ever bought GTA.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me says cool and part of me says this is a Game of Thrones plot in the making.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
This to me actually reads like they want COD to exist on Playstation's even after the current contracts have finished.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
Yup. People were like "Bethesda's too big, they can't skip PS on Starfield".

Dang okay.

But I mean, for me personally, Bethesda just made sense for MS. Whereas Acti is a huge purchase for them. Literally 10x Bethesda here. That's why I can see it happen. But I could also see Sony signing a deal with CoD until 2025 or 2030 and them supporting that until it ends too.

Bethesda was "for the gamers" and Activision was "for the industry". If that makes any sense.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe him any farther than I can throw him. Which isn't far.
He is doing the same song and dance he did with the Bethesda acquisition.
Buying up massive multiplattform publishers while at the same time having to keep that good guy public persona alive - as in gaming is for everyone, we are all friends here, Sony and Nintendo are important lol

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
The way I've read this: Warzone or the next GAAS Call of Duty will remain multi-platform.
I really doubt the next CoD entry will be on PlayStation.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
"Had good calls this week with leaders at Sony. I confirmed our intent to honor all existing agreements upon acquisition of Activision Blizzard and our desire to keep Call of Duty (Warzone) on PlayStation. Sony is an important part of our industry, and we value our relationship."

He thinks he's sneaky by omitting the word "Warzone."

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
When you're ridiculed as naive and senseless, it's hard not to take it personally. Especially when you're making a common-sense point. And it feels really good when you're validated. It's an internet forum -- eating crow is an Olympic sport around here.

yeah I guess, part of the "fun" is speculation and all the sillyness that ensues, its just something that i've noticed over the years that just didnt make much sense for me. I'm aware most of it is just in good spirits, but sorta worry for people who thrive on that validation as a part of their daily lives. I feel the same about "insiders" who similarly need some of that dopamine/attention.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This still doesn't clarify it 100%. After the merger goes through, in a few years there's nothing keeping MS from pulling yearly COD release off playstation (by then gamepass has much larger subsection base) and keeping Warzone or other free to play COD on PLAYSTATION and the words of that tweet will still be true. You don't make a 70B investment without trying to make your offerings super attractive... Keeping it with playstation and their game pass is not as attractive (getting new subscribers) as keeping it Xbox / gamepass exclusive.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That sounds to me like a "We really want to keep Call of Duty on PS5. Hopefully Sony wants to come to the table with Spiderman. It would be a shame to keep both of these big IP's that people all over the world love, limited to a single console".

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
The desire is to keep it on Playstation as long as Sony agrees to allow Game Pass on Playstation. Phil has said the same before I believe when it comes to bringing Game Pass to other platforms only difference is that now the CoD carrot exists to hang on the stick so maybe Sony will finally allow it. We shall see.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
So basically any games that have contracts for PS5/4 will come out but anything without consoles decided won't like with Bethesda.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to take away COD from PlayStation to promote Gamepass.

the fact that you can get COD free on Gamepass is already a massive selling factor - they just have to make the world know about it via marketing, exclusive content, beta etc. - while still making billions with the PlayStation sales.
They could even release the Xbox Version 1-2 months earlier.

I am not saying tough, that there is no reason/chance for them to be exclusive, just that i don't think it's outlandish to assume they might still appear on PlayStation.

There are good arguments on both sides

You don't have to spend $70B to get COD on Gamepass

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
"Existing agreements".....

Yet people are surely gonna take this and run with it until its confirmed that future CoDs will indeed be Xbox exclusive.

Phil's the master of phrasing. Did the same thing with Bethesda.