• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Correct decision?

• Yes, waste of time and resources

Votes: 1,684 56.8%
  • No, it's a growing market and should see support

Votes: 1,283 43.2%

• Total voters
Oct 31, 2017
Considering we had a thread a few weeks ago about how someone thought Witcher 3 was more immersive on Switch at lower resolution than on a PC, it really goes to show how nonsensical people can be here.
LOL, I'm not surprised someone actually made a thread like that here. This forum can be very strange at times. A lot of strange and funny people post here.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but this means to me Microsoft is not willing to take chances into what Nintendo & Sony have done and they had a succession. I mean VR to me doesn't interest me but maybe it will and maybe I want to invest into VR. So Microsoft can't provide me to what I want and that is going to hurt them in the future of next generation. Because if a developer makes a hit VR game and people want to play it (common consumer), that means Microsoft can't provide that. I mean yeah I agree with what he says that he needs to focus on other things. But he can certainly focus on two things. I mean he can certainly offset VR headsets to other companies or allow current ones to run on the next generation of Xbox and as for games he can certainly do what Sony does. Do the major games and still put out or allow devs to make VR Games or hell he doesn't even need to do any games. Let the other devs do it. I'm just saying it's going to hurt them in the future.
For the 1000th time, he's not saying Xbox will never have VR support. He's saying it isn't a focus or priority.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
This is the new console wars battleground...

I didn't see it coming.

Personally, I have interest in VR but I'm waiting until it's mature. I've been burned early adopting peripherals too many times. Back to the power glove..

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Or... People tried VR and didn't like it/didn't think it was a game changer at all. It's not that hard to imagine really. Please stop downplaying other people's opinions just because you think the opposite.

Well according to you, VR shouldn't be a focus right now, which it absolutely should be and is a focus. Please stop downplaying other people's opinions just because you think the opposite.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Focus the energy elsewhere. VR is still up and coming, but there's the entirety of next generation to come to tackle that. Console VR shouldn't really be a focus to begin with. My PSVR experience against my 1st generation Vive underwhelms. Let the PC space keep ironing the kinks out.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No VR for the Xbox, now that's clearly stated to end rumours and speculations.
For VR enthusiasts, the PS5 technically on pair with high-end PCs should someway unify the VR audience.
Today the bar is short and low with games having to run at a strict 60fps on a 2013 PS4.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I guess if you're really interested in VR and want to remain on console its best to get a Playstation next gen.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a believer in VR. I want an Oculus Quest really badly, and I genuinely love my PS VR. I was playing Beat Saber just the day before yesterday and having a blast, and I think Astro Bot is one of the most unique gaming experiences of this generation.

That said, I don't mind one bit that Microsoft is considering skipping VR in this upcoming console generation. I don't necessarily want their competition in that space -- mainly because I don't want a potential *THIRD* set of controllers and displays laying around my media room.

Microsoft needs to focus the resources it has allocated to its Xbox division on other things, anyway. Studio acquisition, and the development of can't-miss exclusives absolutely should take priority over a virtual reality solution that may or may not take off.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
No VR for the Xbox, now that's clearly stated to end rumours and speculations.
For VR enthusiasts, the PS5 technically on pair with high-end PCs should someway unify the VR audience.
Today the bar is short and low with games having to run at a strict 60fps on a 2013 PS4.

I think we may need to come back down to earth. Are we so sure that PSVR for PS5 will be "on par" with high-end VR next year?

Oct 31, 2017
Well according to you, VR shouldn't be a focus right now, which it absolutely should be and is a focus. Please stop downplaying other people's opinions just because you think the opposite.

? I never downplayed anyone's opinion in this thread though (lol) while you did:

God the attitude towards VR in this thread stinks. It reeks of people who haven't tried it and dismisses it. Pretty selfish really.

This is very rarely the case.

... How do you know that?

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's wrong. Nailing the core experience is definitely more important early on then trying to integrate an expensive and risky peripheral like a VR headset. It's something that can easily come later if it looks like VR is taking off. MS is already pretty experienced in the area with their Windows Mixed Reality stuff, so if they decide to make a headset it will hopefully move pretty quick.

VR isn't looking like its going to be a big part of the PS5's early life either, so Sony obviously feels the same about the technology. I'm sure both consoles will end up with support eventually, but I don't see any reason why either company would really push it, at least in the first year or two.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
People really gulped the SSD buzzwords down hard. Now we have people who believe a 500$ console is going to be on par with high end pcs in 2020.

Some of us console faithful thinking we're on par with high-end PCs... and then being brought right back down to reality.

P1lhN7P.gif

TeaToe

Oct 30, 2018
That's a stupid decision. It won't cost them much just to support WMR with pre-existing library (Or even go wild, support Oculus and it's store, Facebook will handle the costs)

Then if demands increased, release an xbox exclusive headset, and develop their own VR games.

Another reason to go with PS5.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think we may need to come back down to earth. Are we so sure that PSVR for PS5 will be "on par" with high-end VR next year?
People really gulped the SSD buzzwords down hard. Now we have people who believe a 500$ console is going to be on par with high end pcs in 2020.
Some of us console faithful thinking we're on par with high-end PCs... and then being brought right back down to reality.

P1lhN7P.gif

I was speaking about VR as a market, I mentioned specific platforms for that. I know it's difficult for some here to make the difference between the PC as a market and as a platform, but try harder.

In short, from a publisher standpoint the PS5 will let them release multiplatform VR games that aren't remotely possible today. For next-gen consoles hardware, there is a thread about it and yes, consoles will be positioned among the 10-20% of the well-geared Steam user.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
That's really too bad. Even in its infancy VR is transformative. As the technology improves, becomes wireless, and cheaper the adoption rates will be huge.

As for his reasoning:
kQglo061cSQ-K-5ItkOmHNiUvehPMlGyQlFK1ae2Wzo.jpg
Stunning post.

As a trillion dollar company, Microsoft is point blank wrong for rejecting innovation.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Stunning post.

As a trillion dollar company, Microsoft is point blank wrong for rejecting innovation.

But they aren't rejecting it? They make headsets for Christ's sake. As a company they are heavily involved in VR and AR all over the place, just not in the Xbox division. I am on the side of not wanting it either and I am a very heavy gamer in their ecosystem. They got other shit to take care of over the next couple years.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
... How do you know that?
Because I have seen thousands of in-person demos and tens of thousands of such comments over many years. In the vast majority of demos, people come away enjoying if not loving their experience. This is synonymous with thousands of external reports as well.

In terms of comments, I have never seen a single comment out of tens of thousands that has ever been accurate if that comment was bashing VR. Every commeny bashing VR always involves misconceptions; usually heavy misconceptions, and usually more than a dozen.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
VR has come and gone over the years , and numbers show it's not lighting the world on fire .

If psvr only sold to around 5 percent of ps4 owners , I wouldnt take that risk either .

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I love VR, so this is disappointing. I get that the market for VR is small, but I also think companies like MS can help it grow. I still have a Rift and I think Sony will deliver great VR experiences next generation, looking at what they got going on with their PS5 hardware. Hopefully MS will join in some form down the line.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you wait until the customer is asking for it, you've already dropped the ball.

C'mon Microsoft.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I was speaking about VR as a market, I mentioned specific platforms for that. I know it's difficult for some here to make the difference between the PC as a market and as a platform, but try harder.

In short, from a publisher standpoint the PS5 will let them release multiplatform VR games that aren't remotely possible today. For next-gen consoles hardware, there is a thread about it and yes, consoles will be positioned among the 10-20% of the well-geared Steam user.

I approve of your enthusiasm based on speculation.

However, another thing I'm trying to figure out is why is PS5 seemingly the only player in this future console VR market when Phil never said anything about never supporting VR, and is also investing their fair share in VR and AR?

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I have seen thousands of in-person demos and tens of thousands of such comments over many years. In the vast majority of demos, people come away enjoying if not loving their experience. This is synonymous with thousands of external reports as well.

In terms of comments, I have never seen a single comment out of tens of thousands that has ever been accurate if that comment was bashing VR. Every commeny bashing VR always involves misconceptions; usually heavy misconceptions, and usually more than a dozen.
Why are you lying?

Jan 10, 2018
I've heard that VR is the future since the early 90's, guys. I love PSVR when I have a party or something, but VR in theory and its current form is a novelty. Microsoft's obsession with the Kinect heavily hurt their console at lunch so I understand why they wouldn't want a gimmick attached.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I like VR it's probably the right call. I do see some time in the next 5-10yrs where it'll go from little to no VR coverage to EVERYTHING IS FUCKING AR/VR and the same people that are taking a shit on VR will be the ones dissing flat screen gaming. Alyx looks great but I doubt it'll change the landscape in any meaningful way.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Gotta agree with Phil here. Fook VR. No one is asking for that shit. Let Sony have at it. If/when it takes off, maybe then...

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think what Phil has said is fine for the time being despite me believing VR is the future. MS has been long developing VR/AR solutions and will present it when they think the market is ready, or partner with company to offer it as an option.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
As much as I like VR it's probably the right call. I do see some time in the next 5-10yrs where it'll go from little to no VR coverage to EVERYTHING IS FUCKING AR/VR and the same people that are taking a shit on VR will be the ones dissing flat screen gaming. Alyx looks great but I doubt it'll change the landscape in any meaningful way.
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this happens. These people always need something to latch onto. Hate is in their nature.