• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Correct decision?

• Yes, waste of time and resources

Votes: 1,684 56.8%
  • No, it's a growing market and should see support

Votes: 1,283 43.2%

• Total voters

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Many studios MS bought were working in VR games btw

People saying Ms shouldnt "force" them makes no sense

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Nah it's just a different game. It doesn't improve upon any game nor does it make any game worse. It's just a different consumption method.
That's the wrong take. If you think VR adds no improvements especially to racing or horror games, I don't even know what to say. People who have used VR would flat-out disagree across the board. We might as well say that color TVs and sound add nothing to gaming.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we'd be hearing this if Windows MR was a bigger hit, but regardless I hope that Scarlett gets VR during its lifespan. The hardware is plenty capable, so whether they work with Valve, Oculus, or try to breathe life into their own VR platform, I hope that it happens.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the wrong take. If you think VR adds no improvements especially to racing or horror games, I don't even know what to say. People who have used VR would flat-out disagree across the board. We might as well say that color TVs and sound add nothing to gaming.

VR is IMO the biggest leap in gaming since 2D to 3D, I mean to me it's pretty evident, it's just hampered by the tech being in its baby steps phase. But the thing with babies is they eventually grow up.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
🙋🏻‍♂️ I've used VR. Am I included in that contradictory blanket statement as well?

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
God the attitude towards VR in this thread stinks. It reeks of people who haven't tried it and dismisses it. Pretty selfish really. VR is a game changer and it's here to stay. People don't have to like it, just better get used to it because it's staying.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
4-5% attachment rated is kinda pathetic for PSVR IMHO. Kinect sold like 35+ million units and is considered a failure itself. I don't understand the notion for some that VR is a game changer. It isn't.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4-5% attachment rated is kinda pathetic for PSVR IMHO. Kinect sold like 35+ million units and is considered a failure itself. I don't understand the notion for some that VR is a game changer. It isn't.

On what planet is the original Kinect considered a failure? The PS3 would've overtaken the XBox 360 a lot sooner without Kinect.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Man I really wanna know what Valve is working on behind the scenes lol. They must've experimented with new games, services, and hardware at this point. Hopefully that new Geoff special goes into it.
It's Amazon for me, it seems they've been doing what Google should've done and using the time they have to build a strong platform before launching their game streaming platform. But it's all interesting, I think Valve, Sony and MS will treat their streaming services as support platforms first and they have the software to support it thanks to being very well established already.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

Everything, absolutely everything people invest money in will have an opportunity cost, it's the very nature of the concept, moreso in an industry that's constantly innovating and investing in R&D. This is a rather curious and silly tweet/remark to make.
Or just another personal opinion?
Yup, saying "Best VR news" when a big company in gaming claims VR is not part of their focus is an opinion, sure. Ok.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Again though, given that this is the state of the competition, is it really any surprise Sony dominates the console business so easily.

This is like a person who can't even tie their shoe laces properly trying to compete in a basketball tournament, you can't even get basic things right and need to put everything on pause for that, c'mon.

That's not good enough. No freaking wonder Sony cruises to victory so easily.

Thats not fair to say tho. Playstation is just a bigger brand. There isnt anything MS can do with Xbox to stop Sony from dominating. Sony has been doing this since PS1.
MS and Sony have different focuses. Sony has the hardware, and the top tier AAA games that everyone loves, that actually sell. So they can venture off and do other things like VR. MS isnt in that position. They have to make sure that their AAA games are in order first.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
🙋🏻‍♂️ I've used VR. Am I included in that contradictory blanket statement as well?
There are 3 possibilities.

1. The games you tried are the worst representation of VR.
2. You do not have stereoscopic vision.
3. You are lying to yourself and everyone else.

I have no idea which one it is, but these are the only possible solutions, because VR does objectively improve certain games. Like I said, you might as well say the inclusion of audio in games adds nothing, something that all other gamers would disagree with unless they are deaf.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats not fair to say tho. Playstation is just a bigger brand. There isnt anything MS can do with Xbox to stop Sony from dominating. Sony has been doing this since PS1.
MS and Sony have different focuses. Sony has the hardware, and the top tier AAA games that everyone loves, that actually sell. So they can venture off and do other things like VR. MS isnt in that position. They have to make sure that their AAA games are in order first.

Playstation isn't a "bigger brand", MS had them at evens just 10 years ago.

They dominated this last generation because of better management decision making and product vision, plain and simple.

Sony plays chess quite often while it's competition is playing checkers. Maybe some people won't like that characterization, but it's not a fluke or random occurrence when you outsell your competition by 50+ million units fairly consistently.

That's not "well it's just the brand". That's having far better management getting more decisions right than wrong and then being smart enough to take full advantage.

Nov 11, 2017
I don't think we'd be hearing this if Windows MR was a bigger hit, but regardless I hope that Scarlett gets VR during its lifespan. The hardware is plenty capable, so whether they work with Valve, Oculus, or try to breathe life into their own VR platform, I hope that it happens.
You wouldn't hear this if VR in general was a bigger hit, consumers have decided the last few years it is niche at best. Even the very best game's aren't selling peripherals at the millions.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
If Microsoft puts vr on scarlet I won't support it plain and simple. The tech still has too many issues and the games lackluster few nad far between. I just hope to god Microsoft doesn't add a dumb gimmick like the light bar to the scarlett controllers. Please god no.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It objectively is in terms of the gaming experience, unless you're talking about sales and it's overall impact on the market?

It's a bit strange though to compare a much more expensive peripheral that is it's own medium and hard to market compared to Kinect which is easy to market and much cheaper; not to mention a forced bundle with Xbox One.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Playstation isn't a "bigger brand", MS had them at evens just 10 years ago.

They dominated this last generation because of better management decision making and product vision, plain and simple.

Sony plays chess quite often while it's competition is playing checkers. Maybe some people won't like that characterization, but it's not a fluke or random occurrence when you outsell your competition by 50+ million units fairly consistently.

That's not "well it's just the brand". That's having far better management getting more decisions right than wrong and then being smart enough to take full advantage.

Playstation inst a bigger brand than Xbox?
Yea we are done with this conversation.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Next year you mostly won't being able to buy a new console alone for $400.

This. It's odd because he did a complete 180 about VR. A few years ago, before the release of XBX, VR was actually a focus for MS and him, allegedly. He even promised VR and VR games for XBX before the release of their console.

In hindsight it looks (to me) like MS was trying to throw a wrench into PSVR and Pro, similar like that dreadful HD DVD shenanigan back in the 360 days. "Look we'll have that too in shinier and better" but this time they didn't even follow it through at all.

It was the right decision to not bring VR to the original One, because of lack of first party studios and low specs, but it was disappointing still to not see it at all.

Nov 11, 2017
4-5% is terrible really no other way to put it, VR offers a different experience I wouldn't call it a game changer like analog sticks or online gaming

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not understanding it also...

The failure of Kinect was the bundle with X1

Which again is an example of Sony's management making the right bet, and a competitor ... not so much.

That's basically what the Playstation brand thrives on ... competition being out of touch with coming trends, and then Sony is ruthless in jumping all over those mistakes making their competitors pay. I have to give them credit for that.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

I have no idea which one it is, but these are the only possible solutions, because VR does objectively improve certain games. Like I said, you might as well say the inclusion of audio in games adds nothing, something that all other gamers would disagree with unless they are deaf.
I've played Astro Bot, Beat Saber, and RE7. My vision is just fine. As to your third point - LOL.

There seems to be a dangerously ignorant trend that happens on this forum where some folks believe that if another person's experience and impression is different than what they experienced that the person must have not tried it themselves. If they have tried it, there must be something physically wrong with the person (ableism, nice). If they pass those two purity tests, they must be lying. In other words, your opinion and your experience is impenetrable. Tell it to a mirror next time.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playstation inst a bigger brand than Xbox?
Yea we are done with this conversation.

It's a bigger brand because Sony's management consistently makes better decisions.

It's not randomly a bigger brand because people like the logo or something. MS had brand parity 10 years ago, they fucked that up on their own and Sony as they generally do made them pay dearly for their mistakes.

You give Sony an inch in this business and they will take a mile.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I was a vr hater until i played astrobot. Vr is a game changer and people will eventually see that
And can only evolve further.
I'm not understanding it also...

The failure of Kinect was the bundle with X1
Well and it being any good or should I say being able to live up to it's promise to add anything to games beyond using is for voice control in the OS.

And whilst I'd not be interested in buying another headset, MS joining in would only benefit the medium and bring VR to more people. Unfortunately there seems to be little interest as shown further here and they're behind without any experience in the development of VR games.

Nov 15, 2018
Just a reminder that 95 million ps4 users said no to VR. It's no game changer yet, and it's not changing anytime soon.

Are people here honestly expecting an increase in PS VR being sold for ps5 compared to ps4? If they make improvements to VR, it's price is only going to increase leaving consumers to avoid it again for another gen. This is why it's not going to be mainstream.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
4-5% is terrible really no other way to put it, VR offers a different experience I wouldn't call it a game changer like analog sticks or online gaming

That's like the old argument that Sony games are flops because only 10% of the base buys it... is still the biggest VR device around, and many companies are making them for a reason

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder that 95 million ps4 users said no to VR. It's no game changer yet, and it's not changing anytime soon.

Are people here honestly expecting an increase in PS VR being sold for ps5 compared to ps4? If they make improvements to VR, it's price is only going to increase leaving consumers to avoid it again for another gen. This is why it's not going to be mainstream.

How many PS2 owners bought the modem + HDD for online gaming again?

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I've played Astro Bot, Beat Saber, and RE7. My vision is just fine. As to your third point - LOL.

There seems to be a dangerously ignorant trend that happens on this forum where some folks believe that if another person's experience and impression is different than what they experienced that the person must have not tried it themselves. If they have tried it, there must be something physically wrong with the person (ableism, nice). If they pass those two purity tests, they must be lying. In other words, your opinion and your experience is impenetrable. Tell it to a mirror next time.
So RE7 is not improved by VR in any way? What's next, RE7 is the same without sound? RE7 is the same when played on a calculator?

Your statements are nonsensical in every sense of the word and everyone here can see it plain as day. You are very likely lying about using VR in the first place, or lying about what it adds/doesn't add.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If Microsoft puts vr on scarlet I won't support it plain and simple. The tech still has too many issues and the games lackluster few nad far between. I just hope to god Microsoft doesn't add a dumb gimmick like the light bar to the scarlett controllers. Please god no.
Yeah the lights are a valid point lol, I recently got a Pro and a new TV, had to rearrange some stuff in my room and now the controllers face the TV when I'm playing, which reflects the lights. I ended up putting insulating tape on all my DS4s, so yeah that was annoying.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017

I predict even less people will buy psvr 2. Taken on the same timeline, I have a strong feeling less than 5 million units of PSVR2 will be sold compared to the first headset.

Oct 25, 2017
I have mixed feeling about this. I would like more traditional experiences on Gamepass and I vr Dev takes resources.

On the other hand I think vr is cool and I want to see the market grow despite the fact I purchased psvr day one and it's currently collecting dust.

Regardless, I think this is likely the correct business decision

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You said...

then you say.

Like i said, I cant continue this convo from here. It just doesnt make sense to.

I do think once Xbox can get some good 90+ rated games flowing, then they can start thinking about things like VR. Until then, they shouldn't even look that way.

You're cherry picking comments, if you're confused I'll state it clearly here for you

BRAND is meanginless without company/management execution.

Sony has tremendous execution brand wise, that's why the Playstation brand consistently is strong.

It's not because people like the color of the logo or something that poor MS keeps getting their ass kicked by Sony.

It's that Sony more consistently makes correct calls on their product vision than Microsoft does.

When you're 20 years into the console business and still having to be told that 1st/2nd party games are kinda important, you think Sony is going to take it easy on you? Yeah ... lol, you got another thing coming.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah the lights are a valid point lol, I recently got a Pro and a new TV, had to rearrange some stuff in my room and now the controllers face the TV when I'm playing, which reflects the lights. I ended up putting insulating tape on all my DS4s, so yeah that was annoying.
Not just the lights but any kind of stupid gimmick like a touch bar or gyroscopic controls. yuck.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Are you aware that VR is not an inherently good product ?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
At the end of the day though, VR will be one of the (no doubt few) reasons again that differentiates the 2 platforms if they'll be similar boxes again. And really this isn't something MS should want to let happen.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Are you aware that VR is not an inherently good product ?
Are you aware that VR brings objective improvements to certain things? We have someone here saying RE7 is no scarier and no more immersive in VR.

It's like I'm in a forum of flat-earthers. The illogical statements people manage to pull out are mind-boggling.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are you aware that VR brings objective improvements to certain things? We have someone here saying RE7 is no scarier adnd no more immersive in VR.

It's like I'm in a forum of flat-earthers. The illogical statements people manage to pull out are mind-boggling.

This is all subjective, it can't be objective. If someone gets motion sickness or doesn't like the way VR looks, then it isn't objective.

Going around telling people that they're lying or wrong because they don't like something is a shitty way to sell people on VR.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day though, VR will be one of the (no doubt few) reasons again that differentiates the 2 platforms if they'll be similar boxes again. And really this isn't something MS should want to let happen.

Exactly. Why companies keep falling for this same trap over and over (and over) again versus Sony is so hilariously predictable at this point.

90%+ of the time when companies in the console business go "Nope! We r so smart, we know something Sony doesn't!" ends up being "Oh FUCK! We totally blew it on that bet and now are in scramble mode!" a couple of years later.

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, has the VR discomfort issue been significantly improved in the last few years? I couldn't game with a psvr for like 30 min without feeling like I was going to puke. Making it wireless and improving discomfort are the two main issues I had around psvr's launch.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This is all subjective, it can't be objective. If someone gets motion sickness or doesn't like the way VR looks, then it isn't objective.

Going around telling people that they're lying or wrong because they don't like something is a shitty way to sell people on VR.
It's objective. End of story.

This has nothing to do with motion sickness. The guy straight up said VR offers no improvements regardless of who uses it.

He is saying that no one has ever been more immersed or scared in VR, ever.