• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Correct decision?

• Yes, waste of time and resources

Votes: 1,684 56.8%
  • No, it's a growing market and should see support

Votes: 1,283 43.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"VR gaming pushes boundaries and can provide experiences no other platform can"

Regardless of return on investment or how many people will buy your stuff - isn't there value in being visible as one of the key faces of a technology that pushes boundaries and provides experiences no other can?
Yes there is value in that. The value is specifically 5 million PSVRs for every 100+million consoles. Corporations deal in opportunity costs though and the big companies will always focus on what makes more money. VR can be cool and mind blowing, but it's not at the point now where everyone will go all in. The return isn't there right now.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
its wishful thinking if companies dont invest in it, like here.
if MS with the xbox division and others were to invest in VR ,i am sure help it grow.
It's way too early to announce anything along the lines of "VR is set to expand rapidly once the price/performance/software stars line up".

We don't know that yet. Maybe VR will explode. Maybe it won't. I don't think it will, but that doesn't mean I'm not very cautious when handling such predictions. At this stage, I think it's safe to say the current batch of VR devices aren't lined up to be mainstream, at least.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo sold 75 million 3DS worldwide according to this:

(Switch is over 40 million btw)

It still sold 6.4 million 3DS in 2018 if this source is correct (Switched launched in 2017):
www.statista.com

Nintendo 3DS sales worldwide 2011-2021 | Statista

In the 2021 financial year which ended in March 2021, Nintendo sold 170 thousand 3DS consoles, down from 690 thousand units sold in the year prior.

I don't give two fucks about the Vita, but saying the handheld market is contracting immensely, while technically correct, is still disingenuous.

Handheld consoles are still doing great, "hybrid" or not, they're just not on the level of the DS golden age anymore.

So... I'm right but disingenuous? Wtf...

You literally admit its past the "golden age of the DS" so... it's literally contracting immensely. VR has barely even expanded yet!

80 million PSP's and 150 million DS's down to 10 million Vita's and 75 million 3DS's... yet I'm being disingenuous

Oct 30, 2017
While it remains the price it is I'm just not interested
But I'd still like to see Scarlett support it even if in limited capacity of supporting Windows MR headsets

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
He's a market analyst. It's his job to call shots and he says this despite also saying Astro Bot is one of his all time favorite games.

I know what he does, and I have a lot of respect for him.
But he doesn't know what the technology will look like in 5 years. He's looking at what things are like right now, and hes not wrong. VR is expensive for most people. It's inconvenient, it takes up a good chunk of space.

All of those problems will be fixed.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I love VR and this seems like a perfectly reasonable statement?

Also, MS is probably in the best position to just randomly add VR anyway for the next xbox? They already have WMR headsets (cheaper, better quality screens, better hand input that PSVR) since next gen can probably do VR, so yeah not exactly a big deal either way.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know what he does, and I have a lot of respect for him.
But he doesn't know what the technology will look like in 5 years. He's looking at what things are like right now, and hes not wrong. VR is expensive for most people. It's inconvenient, it takes up a good chunk of space.

All of those problems will be fixed.
Fixing these issues will not automatically mean VR will be for the masses, this only means the *additional* problems that the tech has right now might get resolved.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Fixing these issues will not automatically mean VR will be for the masses, this only means the *additional* problems that the tech has right now might get resolved.
What's the difference between a 'problem' and an 'additional problem' then?

If it's that one is completely unfixable, I'd say take another look.

Almost every issue that people point to towards VR is fixable even if you think the laws of physics disagree; that just means you're looking at it wrong.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Is this the moment where we "pretend" to care/not care about VR?

Right now, I don't see VR ending up being the "future of the gaming living room experience" but I don't see it as an unnecessary component either. The comment feels more dismissive of it as a tech which isn't entirely worrying but does say that they have way different priorities when it comes to hardware and especially software. I'm sure that one of the recently acquired devs (NT, inXile have experience in those types of experiences) will pitch a project to XGS and they could see it as an interesting addition to Game Pass.

It's a cool piece of tech but it still has a super long way to go if it ever wants to replace the living room experience. I don't see Sony trying to make that happen but instead go for an additional experience alongside the traditional non-VR gaming.

Half-Life Alyx looks mighty impressive when it comes to blending VR with the level design that we usually know from Valve. The way how you can push objects away to find hidden ammo is something that feels like the first showcase of the physics-based gameplay that we saw in the HL2 demo.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
VR has barely even expanded yet!
The main issue in your sentence is the "yet" part.

That's pure assumption.

80 million PSP's and 150 DS's down to 10 million Vita's and 75 million 3DS's... yet I'm being disingenuous
Nintendo is making loads of money by selling 3DS and now Switch.

And keep in mind that by your terms, home consoles are also "contracting immensely".

Compare basically 3x80 million = 240 million vs approximately 100 + 40 = 140 million, or even 180 million by counting Switch (which doesn't count for a handheld, but will count for a home console I'm sure ...)

Handhelds are not dead. Maybe they will be in a few years. I dunno, I'm no Nostradamus. But they're still alive and kicking.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
That's really too bad. Even in its infancy VR is transformative. As the technology improves, becomes wireless, and cheaper the adoption rates will be huge.

As for his reasoning:
kQglo061cSQ-K-5ItkOmHNiUvehPMlGyQlFK1ae2Wzo.jpg

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say this is a textbook example of Sony being the only company that has any clue what they're doing in the console business.

Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft continually fart up stupidity that Sony can easily take advantage of, it doesn't surprise me that they've dummied the console competition for the better part of 25 years.

It's like watching one older kid continually take advantage of three dumber kids on a school playground, lol.

And I'm not big Sony fan, but really it just seems to me like they sit back and wait for their competitors to make dumb mistakes and then take advantage.

Luckily for MS in this case, once they realize they are wrong on this, they can easily adapt by allowing PC headset compatibility in a firmware update most likely, but it's just another telling sign that Sony's direct competition is utterly clueless.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I have to say this is a textbook example of Sony being the only company that has any clue what they're doing in the console business.

Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft continually fart up stupidity that Sony can easily take advantage of, it doesn't surprise me that they've dummied the console competition for the better part of 25 years.

It's like watching one older kid continually take advantage of three dumber kids on a school playground, lol.

And I'm not big Sony fan, but really it just seems to me like they sit back and wait for their competitors to make dumb mistakes and then take advantage.
Yup, they definitely knew what they were doing with the PS3 lol. Not focusing on VR is not a dumb mistake for MS, it's the opposite.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
That's really too bad. Even in its infancy VR is transformative. As the technology improves, becomes wireless, and cheaper the adoption rates will be huge.

As for his reasoning:
It's always funny how people recall the few "visionaries" which did provide something new which was widely adopted, while forgetting all the failed attempts like, you know, Kinect anyone? Among the host of failed new tech we don't even remember existed in the first place.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, they definitely knew what they were doing with the PS3 lol. Not focusing on VR is not a dumb mistake for MS lol, it's the opposite.

The PS3's first two years is the only time in 25 years in the home console business that Sony made really dumb mistakes.

Other than that, they've basically just sat back and waited for incompetence from their competition and taken advantage of it. By now it's a pretty predictable pattern.

It's not a coincidence that since 1995 they're utterly dominated the console business like 80% of the time.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like someone needs to say this on every page because people are misunderstanding: Phil isn't definitively saying that VR compatibility will never make its way to Xbox. He's saying it isn't a focus. Meaning it isn't something they're going all out on in house.

I'd bet my house that we will see VR on Xbox at some point.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Yes, and I don't see how that is irrational. It will be a bigger niche, but it will never be baseline.
Again, this is all kinds of irrational. People who say this tend to be unable to even list a single consumer use outside of gaming. They just fatally misunderstand the technology at every angle.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
People go from saying MS has no games to MS then investing in first party to now saying they want MS to split their development between regular console games and VR? Just doesn't make sense.

The focus right now for Phil is to expand their library utilizing GamePass and make their games available to as many devices as they can through Scarlett, xCloud and PC. Once they have that down they can look to VR.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Platform wars rhetoric.
People go from saying MS has no games to MS then investing in first party to now saying they want MS to split their development between regular console games and VR? Just doesn't make sense.

The focus right now for Phil is to expand their library utilizing GamePass and make their games available to as many devices as they can through Scarlett, xCloud and PC. Once they have that down they can look to VR.

How is it exactly that Sony, a smaller company with fewer resources, has no problem making better 1st party games than MS and supporting VR simultaneously.

To be honest the state of the current game market where Sony just completely dominates all of the other dummies in the home console state is pretty well earned.

I don't even think Sony does anything necessarily all that spectacular, they just sit back and wait for their competition to implode.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like someone needs to say this on every page because people are misunderstanding: Phil isn't definitively saying that VR compatibility will never make its way to Xbox. He's saying it isn't a focus. Meaning it isn't something they're going all out on in house.

I'd bet my house that we will see VR on Xbox at some point.
He's basically being super cynical actually.

"We don't see the money yet" -> subtext "Don't doubt we'll go there if there is money to be made" 🤷‍♀️

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

As for his reasoning:
VR already exists, has for years though.

Did people still want only faster horses after cars were already on the market for years?

Phil Spencer didn't say "We here at Xbox never do anything until customers are asking for it." MS has been experimenting with AR/VR for YEARS... let's not ignore that. They throw loads of R&D at unproven tech.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The PS3's first two years is the only time in 25 years in the home console business that Sony made really dumb mistakes.

Other than that, they've basically just sat back and waited for incompetence from their competition and taken advantage of it. By now it's a pretty predictable pattern.

It's not a coincidence that since 1995 they're utterly dominated the console business like 80% of the time.
And you think MS not focusing on a currently niche product for their console launch is a dumb mistake lol? Focusing on first-party content and bringing the most value to their customers with the best subscription service in gaming seems like the smartest thing they could do at the moment.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame ms isn't jumping in. They could do it by just letting other devices just work on the console of they dont want to do it themselves.

Gamepass + Vr would be a nice combo

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I own 3 vr headsets and have no problem with this stance. I don't think the market can really support, and doesn't currently need, multiple console based headsets. Imagine if each console needed its own TV. That's basically what we're talking about in terms of cost and hassle.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree with Phil's view here. Why pour money into KINECT 2 that a fraction of core gamers are interested in.

People are wrong on this. IMO VR is going to be much more analogous to online play and the impact that eventually had on gaming than Kinect. VR on PS4 is basically what online was to Dreamcast/PS2 ... taking its baby steps.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
How is it exactly that Sony, a smaller company with fewer resources, has no problem making better 1st party games than MS and supporting VR simultaneously.

To be honest the state of the current game market where Sony just completely dominates all of the other dummies in the home console state is pretty well earned.

We all the story of MS 1st party issues that happened from the end of the 360 generation to when Phil took over with the X1. While this was happening Sony was fully invested in their own studios and they were firing on all cylinders. MS is playing catch up at this point and looks to finally be catching up with the next generation.

Also the big Sony 1st party studios haven't really done much with VR and i's been their smaller ones that have developed games.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

No company, even a trillion dollar one like Microsoft, has unlimited resources to spend on everything. I 100% agree and would be upset if they were siphoning off investment in their first party studios to make niche VR content as opposed to other new game experiences. I would not be shocked if they end up just supporting VR on Scarlett for the Windows Mixed Reality headsets which may have SteamVR game support or something so that the investment in content can come from other places where someone else wants to spend that money right now.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's a shame ms isn't jumping in. They could do it by just letting other devices just work on the console of they dont want to do it themselves.

Gamepass + Vr would be a nice combo
They probably will do that. They are just not pumping resources into making an Xbox focused VR headset and getting their teams to make VR exclusive games. Supporting other headsets and VR experiences/games is actually the most sensible thing MS can and should do.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We all the story of MS 1st party issues that happened from the end of the 360 generation to when Phil took over with the X1. While this was happening Sony was fully invested in their own studios and they were firing on all cylinders. MS is playing catch up at this point and looks to finally be catching up with the next generation.

Also the big Sony 1st party studios haven't really done much with VR and i's been their smaller ones that have developed games.

Sony is the only one that knows what they're doing in the console business, lets be honest. The other two (well three, when Sega was in) just blindly swing away at stuff and then eventually end up learning the hard way that Sony was right in their vision most of the time.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

I don't even think Sony does anything necessarily all that spectacular, they just sit back and wait for their competition to implode.

But what does any of this have to do with VR?

You are acting like it's proven that VR is going to dominate next gen or something.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
... We already know, they want to make money. Like, duh.
I mean, that's basically what he's saying. It's just for some reasons there are people which keep saying VR will be the new big money maker. He's saying he doesn't think so, at least in the short term (and I agree).