• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Correct decision?

• Yes, waste of time and resources

Votes: 1,684 56.8%
  • No, it's a growing market and should see support

Votes: 1,283 43.2%

• Total voters
Feb 26, 2018
I always found it funny that Sony let Vita die to then prop up PSVR which did worse than Vita.
I'm still salty Sony let Vita die because it was an amazing handheld. I think the willingness of them letting a system die like that gives them no weight to act bigger than MS for not wanting VR.
You really believe that the only reason Vita died is because Sony didn't support it?

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always found it funny that Sony let Vita die to then prop up PSVR which did worse than Vita.
I'm still salty Sony let Vita die because it was an amazing handheld. I think the willingness of them letting a system die like that gives them no weight to act bigger than MS for not wanting VR.
PSVR is a market leader in its category. PS Vita was a dud compared to the 3DS.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
But nobody was asking for them to discontinue the Vita, so they worked hard on discontinuing it.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PSVR is a market leader in its category. PS Vita was a dud compared to the 3DS.
So instead of correcting a system that had a lot of growth potential, they threw it in the trash to chase an unproven market which was and still is way smaller than the success Vita had as a failure? They flat out ignored a lot of fans with that. Imagine if Nintendo just threw in the towel after Wii U and 3DS and just gave up on making systems because they performed poorly compared to their predecessors.

Sony punked out on handheld gaming in a ridiculous way.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong, it shouldn't be a focus for them especially after this generation and how it has went. They need to fix the first party issues and put out a console on par or better than the competition before even doing that.

I also don't believe they are blind to leave the option for future vr out completely just not right now is it a big objective for them.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
The good think about the Xbox is because it's a windows based system they don't have to worry about VR. They can add it anytime down the road. Heck they could even partner with one of the windows VR companies if needed.

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Sony just saw that more people are playing on phones than handheld focused devices. Investing in VR and Remote Play looks better than another handheld.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to play around with VR on Xbox, but I'm kind of glad they're drawing a line in the sand here. I'd rather no VR than a half-arsed effort just to check a box.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
VR needs to be cheaper and and able to stream wirelessly from the PC/console before it has wider adoption. I think that's why the Quest has been so popular, no wires.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
Was about to post this hehe.

VR doesn't align with Microsoft's generation-less (Xbox One baseline) & cloud-streaming vision.
That's a very good point. Although you could argue they need to offer VR for their high end platform.

For Sony and their greater adherence to generations. PS5 and PSVR2 have huge potential to make a massive technological leap that will transform VR.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So instead of correcting a system that had a lot of growth potential, they threw it in the trash to chase an unproven market which was and still is way smaller than the success Vita had as a failure? They flat out ignored a lot of fans with that. Imagine if Nintendo just threw in the towel after Wii U and 3DS and just gave up on making systems because they performed poorly compared to their predecessors.

Sony punked out on handheld gaming in a ridiculous way.

You're saying the Vita had more growth potential than PSVR? This is ridiculous. Handheld gaming has contracted immensely, and VR is set to expand rapidly once the price/performance/software stars line up. And as for software, Astrobot is already rated higher than every Vita game ever made besides P4G. That already shows there is far more software potential in VR, and it's still in its infancy

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo

tumblr_n5nj9yXLN11tulfa8o1_500.gifv

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
MS should focus on keeping Game Pass awesome, keep improving on Xcloud, and focus on exclusives, not on VR. They can easily make other headsets compatible rather than put their focus/money on another side project ala Kinect.

Oct 31, 2017
😂 @ the idea that the PS Vita had growth potential. Vita was dead on arrival.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Good

After Kinect they dont need another gimmick around their neck at a console launch.

VR has matured. We see how it's doing. No one is making money or interesting games. Adding it seems like a checkbox rather then something driving by demand.

Regardless of what your thoughts are on the success of VR, claiming there are no interesting games being made is just plain wrong.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hopefully it will get PSVR2 support. The barrier to entry is just so high on PC. It's high on console too but not as much so.
If it solves the problems PSVR has, I can see them making a PSVR2 port down the line. Valve has shown they're interested in the growing of the market itself, as you can see them literally advertising other headsets on HLA marketing materials.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of our customers know if they want a VR experience, there's places to go get those.

"We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity," says Microsoft's Don Mattick, "it's called Xbox 360."

Only Spencer is directly telling gamers to seek out their competitors.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just don't think VR will really catch on until we get a Wii situation. I don't think add ons are worth developing for if you're short on resources. TV's and monitors are a proven commodity.

If someone gets a VR console out the door for $250 or under, I think that's when we'll know if VR will catch on or not.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo making a hybrid system should tell you all about the state of handheld market.
Nintendo made a hybrid system because their CONSOLE failed while their HANDHELD greatly succeeded. The Switch was meant to prop up and save tv gaming for them. The handheld portion of Nintendo was always doing great.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Until I can get VR and a game console for $400 at launch, I'll likely never buy in.
Next year you mostly won't being able to buy a new console alone for $400.
"I have some issues with VR — it's isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience"

Yeeeeah, that seems like a rationalisation. This wouldn't even be a consideration if they felt capable of supporting VR with content.
This. It's odd because he did a complete 180 about VR. A few years ago, before the release of XBX, VR was actually a focus for MS and him, allegedly. He even promised VR and VR games for XBX before the release of their console.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's a weird situation because if your base isn't asking for it, logically you're not going to focus on that particular area and just focus on your strengths. But at the same time if you come out with an enticing product that takes people by surprise then that's a win too.

A lot of great things that came out over the years across all industries were probably never asked for.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Next year you mostly won't being able to buy a new console alone for $400.

This. It's odd because he did a complete 180 about VR. A few years ago, before the release of XBX, VR was actually a focus for MS and him, allegedly. He even promised VR and VR games for XBX before the release of their console.

The cost and development time for VR is probably something MS can't handle right now, let's be honest nearly everyone would prefer MS manage to put out decent quality titles before anything else.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Well it's a weird situation because if your base isn't asking for it, logically you're not going to focus on that particular area and just focus on your strengths. But at the same time if you come out with an enticing product that takes people by surprise then that's a win too.

A lot of great things that came out over the years across all industries were probably never asked for.

Exactly.

People asked for a normal Half-Life 3 for a decade. Now the VR prequel is the best selling Steam game.

Feb 26, 2018
Nintendo made a hybrid system because their CONSOLE failed while their HANDHELD greatly succeeded. The Switch was meant to prop up and save tv gaming for them. The handheld portion of Nintendo was always doing great.
Yeah explain me why we aren't getting a stand alone handheld from Nintendo than if Switch is meant to save TV gaming.

Oct 27, 2017
VR is neat, but there are just inherent limitations to the tech that I just can't see them overcoming. It's incredibly immersive when I'm looking around and walking, but as soon as I begin interacting with things, it sucks me right out of it. The lack of tactile feedback and the disconnect when I pick up a massive gun in one hand and swing it around like a feather honestly ruins everything else VR does right for me. At that point, traditional games feel more immersive to me. The limitations of your physical room also cause similar problems.

A few select games built with these limitations in mind can work, but the vast majority can't and for that reason I can't see VR being more than what it is now.