• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
"curated quality content" is a matter of opinion. Have you been to the PSNow site and looked at the library lately? The home page is full of what many would consider to be "curated quality content". I'm not saying PSNow is better, I'm just taking issue with the thought that Xbox is the first or best "Netflix for games" option. They're definitely not first and not the most and it can be argued which has the more "high quality" titles.
PSNow added the ability to download games after GamePass had been out a year.

A this point it's comparable but you really can't pretend a streaming service is the same as GamePass. GamePass is definitely "first" relative to PSNow as a game download service.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the fact my PC doubles as an Xbox is really damn cool, and I'm liking the direction Phil and his team continue to go in with GamePass and xCloud.

Choice is always great for the customer and hitting a larger customer base. They were very smart to heavily lean into giving that choice.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PSNow added the ability to download games after GamePass had been out a year.

A this point it's comparable but you really can't pretend a streaming service is the same as GamePass. GamePass is definitely "first" relative to PSNow as a game download service.

PSNow can't play PS3 games on PS4 without streaming, PSNow doesn't get any AAA titles at launch, there are so many differences.

Also the PS2 Classics emulator is terrible.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
PSNow can't play PS3 games on PS4 without streaming, PSNow doesn't get any AAA titles at launch, there are so many differences.

Also the PS2 Classics emulator is terrible.
Oh for sure; just saying that you can now actually compare the downloadable options between the 2 services, whereas it would be pretty daft to try to compare original PSNow to GamePass.

Sony really should separate out their download service from their streaming offering. For the majority of consumers the streaming is not what they are looking for.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
The all in one entertainment, plug in your set top box bullshit was clearly executives that had no clue pushing some boomer vision of content consumption.

Can't imagine how demoralising it would have been to be on the team building the Xbox One.
There was so much bullshit coming from their marketeers.

Spencer really righted a ship that had almost capsized it seems especially if the CEO was looking to pull the plug.
It was specifically "One" box that all your cable, satellite, optical media and streaming apps would use. It would know everything you were watching and with the Kinect, it would know exactly who was in the room watching it.

The Xbox One was basically designed to be the ultimate Nielsen box. A wet dream of marketers and network/studio executives.

Microsoft couldn't get enough companies to join them, it didn't work well enough, and fears about spy cameras and always online sunk it.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
User Warned: Platform Warring
It's easy to root for SONY because they've been all-in on gaming day 1, I think M$ is more computer than console.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Microsoft couldn't get enough companies to join them, it didn't work well enough, and fears about spy cameras and always online sunk it.

Oddly now far more consumers are rushing to be always monitored. I hated the always on bit and the no resale of discs bit with a passion to the point of boycotting my first system launch since Sega Saturn. The 900p crap didn't help, bad design decision on the RAM of X1 launch model versus PS4. MS had to win me back over.

It's easy to root for SONY because they've been all-in on gaming day 1, I think M$ is more computer than console.

Rooting is gross and Jesus Christ at your cringey dollar sign. What year is it?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
If you love games you have to root for them all because competition fuels the market. Xbox had great online with the 360 and has pushed everyone else to follow with these sort of services. Ninty is a little behind but it's clear that they know this (by being significantly cheap than the rest, and they're working on it). Then ps4 came along and reminded everyone that great games, particularly single player experiences, still matter. Nintendo has always been there to push creativity. The whole reason we have gyros, rumble, and motion controls is because they did it successfully first. All three are great and push each other to keep getting better.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The better Microsoft tries do the better Nintendo and Sony try to do. It's so crazy that even with the insane difference if where MS is now compared to where they were in 2013 people still say they don't see anything. I prefer Sony's 1st party output to either competitor but to say they dont have good games or aren't building up for an insane next gen is blatant console fanboy shit that doesn't deserve to be on here.

Besides we all share a common enemy Stadia...

jk but for real I hope Google makes there games available everywhere and just becomes a publisher eventually because i dont like them only available through streaming, i like options.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Sony went all in on games after the failure on the ps3 launch, the xbox one and the ps3 are on the same track, give Microsoft a chance to have their "ps4" moment with XSX, if they fail again then thats their fault but they are clearly trying to fix their mistakes. Don't forget Sony has been doing this a lot longer than MS, its not surprising they are better at certain things. Same goes for Nintendo they had the Wii U and they realize they made mistakes so they put out the Switch.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Good stuff. MS is clearly hungry to make a success out of their gaming division and that can only mean good things for the industry as a whole. I can't wait to see what the gaming landscape looks like a few years from now.

Interesting times ahead!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I ask, because I've never had the opportunity before....why do people spell Microsoft with a $?
Embarrassing.

Anyway, Phil has been a blessing to Xbox and gaming, we'd not have Gamepass and make progress on ideas such as hardware agnostic gaming from console manufacturers if he didn't persuade MS. This is the first time MS have given 100% of financial backing towards gaming.

Excited to see what this means for thier Asian effort, next gen will be wild.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
"When the brand was threatened"

"The rest was history"

This reads like the brand isn't still threatened and like Xbox pulled off some miraculous comeback. Let's remember where they used to be with the Xbox 360 and look where they are now. You cannot spin the Xbox One into a success. Most of the positive things Microsoft did this generation were reactions to a catastrophic drop in mind share and market share.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud most of these initiatives and benefit from them, but at most they stopped the bleeding. There hasn't been a comeback.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since I'd have to upgrade my 3770k and 970, I think I might just get a console next gen. Xbox is appealing to me because I'm in the gamepass ecosystem atm and own a lot of BC games but I still have concerns about first-party output - and a lot of what Spencer is doing resonates with me even tho the cynical part of me sees it as a bit hokey.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

"The rest was history"

This reads like the brand isn't still threatened and like Xbox pulled off some miraculous comeback. Let's remember where they used to be with the Xbox 360 and look where they are now. You cannot spin the Xbox One into a success. Most of the positive things Microsoft did this generation were reactions to a catastrophic drop in mind share and market share.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud most of these initiatives and benefit from them, but at most they stopped the bleeding. There hasn't been a comeback.
Most of the moves from 2015 onward was trying to stay competitive but moving into the "future" that we have at the present and moving towards next-gen. The most reactionary thing was removal of Kinect and dropping price and that was after the first big reaction of the original policies.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017

They've managed to get and keep it a profitable business even while making their biggest titles available in perpetuity for a price unseen in this industry previously. They are rolling out more SKUs with a higher profit margin than anyone else (Elite controllers, One X, All-Digital over device lifetime.) They are doing it right.

People on forums and twitter like to talk about market share but it does. not. matter. anymore. Sure, everyone wants their boxes in more hands and to sell more games to those people but in the end all three platform holders are doing well, PC gaming accessories are expanding even within small regional store chains; hell, you're even seeing a small retreat from certain kinds of loot box-style microtransactions. This is a time of unprecedented widespread success in the industry for traditional gaming. It should be celebrated and cultivated, and instead posts like this put their head firmly in the sand.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"The rest was history"

Yes, you act as if MS sold a disastrous 13 million consoles this generation like the Wii U and had to consolidate their 2 biggest markets into one in order to successfully comeback. MS has had a respectable generation and learned valuable lessons and have expanded their markets and properly prepared for the future.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Most of the moves from 2015 onward was trying to stay competitive but moving into the "future" that we have at the present and moving towards next-gen. The most reactionary thing was removal of Kinect and dropping price and that was after the first big reaction of the original policies.

I would argue that if they had a successful box they wouldn't launch superior versions of their first party games day and date on PC. The same goes for releasing Xbox Game Studios games on other platforms.

It's hypothetical, sure, but something tells me that if Xbox One had sold 85 million units on the back of the quality of their first party releases both Play Anywhere and Cuphead/Ori on Switch wouldn't be a thing. Phil Spencer was asked if Microsoft would be promoting cross play this much if they were the hardware sales leader and the answer was as honest as you would expect from him, the guy is good people and he is restoring Microsoft's first party efforts to their glory days again.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what's going to happen next gen, but Phil Spencer is the best thing that has ever happened to the Xbox brand. I feel like they've made some real smart moves in positioning themselves for next gen. I think it's still anyone's game, and they likely won't penetrate Japan anytime soon, but they've made leaps abs Bounds from that awful Xbox One E3 presentation.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are we just going to pretend that PS2 and PS3 weren't instruments in a media war? What killed HD DVD? Why was the PS3 delayed and expensive?

Did Playstation not luck up exclusive media deals like Spotify? Launch an entire streaming cable platform?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I would argue that if they had a successful box they wouldn't launch superior versions of their first party games day and date on PC. The same goes for releasing Xbox Game Studios games on other platforms.

It's hypothetical, sure, but something tells me that if Xbox One had sold 85 million units on the back of the quality of their first party releases both Play Anywhere and Cuphead/Ori on Switch wouldn't be a thing. Phil Spencer was asked if Microsoft would be promoting cross play this much if they were the hardware sales leader and the answer was as honest as you would expect from him, the guy is good people and he is restoring Microsoft's first party efforts to their glory days again.
Depends on what they wanted to do for their future...if they sold 85m units...I doubt them releasing it on PC would have made any type of dent of people NOT getting the console...lol.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019

I'll never understand responses like this. Of course it would be a different situation, and highly likely they wouldn't have done as many consumer-friendly moves as they have. Does that mean we shouldn't still be greatful that they've made them? Of course not. We shouldn't withhold praise based on pointless hypotheticals.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
They've managed to get and keep it a profitable business even while making their biggest titles available in perpetuity for a price unseen in this industry previously. They are rolling out more SKUs with a higher profit margin than anyone else (Elite controllers, One X, All-Digital over device lifetime.) They are doing it right.

People on forums and twitter like to talk about market share but it does. not. matter. anymore. Sure, everyone wants their boxes in more hands and to sell more games to those people but in the end all three platform holders are doing well, PC gaming accessories are expanding even within small regional store chains; hell, you're even seeing a small retreat from certain kinds of loot box-style microtransactions. This is a time of unprecedented widespread success in the industry for traditional gaming. It should be celebrated and cultivated, and instead posts like this put their head firmly in the sand.

The reason why it doesn't matter how many boxes Microsoft is selling is because they are selling half as many as last gen. Phil Spencer is successfully stopping people from jumping ship by making the Xbox ecosystem as comfortable a place as possible for them. If you never turn on your Xbox again you will at least keep playing Forza, Gears and Halo on PC, or you will purchase the PC Version of Gamepass.

These initiatives were not thought up in a vacuum or for the betterment of gaming, they are reactions to the fact that this console generation didn't go at all like Microsoft planned.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reason why it doesn't matter how many boxes Microsoft is selling is because they are selling half as many as last gen. Phil Spencer is successfully stopping people from jumping ship by making the Xbox ecosystem as comfortable a place as possible for them. If you never turn on your Xbox again you will at least keep playing Forza, Gears and Halo on PC, or you will purchase the PC Version of Gamepass.

These initiatives were not thought up in a vacuum or for the betterment of gaming, they are reactions to the fact that this console generation didn't go at all like Microsoft planned.
They're also a reaction to predicting the future of the markets as well such as streaming and subscription services which Microsoft has heavily invested into and are properly prepared for and synergizes with the other core pillars of their business.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

They're moves in line with what Microsoft is doing as a company. What is happening?

Oct 25, 2017

I don't agree. What MS gaming is doing with open platforms and subscription services is the direction of the whole company is taking. I would expect similar movies even if they had sold 85m consoles.

Gif

Dec 20, 2019
The real funny bit of all this is that unless you're #1 everyone thinks you're losing money and are a joke. You can be #2 or 3 and still be successful.

Yeah I think quite a bit of it is concern trolling tbh, I think (and hope) the gaming market is big enough for all of those big 3.

If any of them leave the industry because sales aren't good enough. It would be a very sad day all round.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I've said this before, but the number of good things MS has been doing (PC stuff, GP, new studios, hw, etc) is impossible to ignore (you must be really dense or really ignorant if you cant at least appreciate the progress they have made, even if you're not a fan). I don't own an Xbox and will probably not own one next gen (I'm on PC) but am extremely excited for this new and exciting Microsoft.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you must have selective blindness if you can't see the changes that have happened to xbox after phil took over.

Much has changed in the way of services. But very little has manifested in the form of real AAA exclusive bangers.

Microsoft is great at giving us a bunch of consumer friendly ways to play third party titles, but there aren't many titles that add value to the platform by themselves.

It was Spencer who turned Black Tusk into a Gears factory, for instance.

For the first time since 2013, I'm considering getting back into Xbox. But only if the software is there. If not, and if Playstation (as it appears it will to some extent) starts to directly compete with Gamepass, it'll be another easy choice.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Much has changed in the way of services. But very little has manifested in the form of real AAA exclusive bangers.

Microsoft is great at giving us a bunch of consumer friendly ways to play third party titles, but there aren't many titles that add value to the platform by themselves.

It was Spencer who turned Black Tusk into a Gears factory, for instance.

For the first time since 2013, I'm considering getting back into Xbox. But only if the software is there. If not, and if Playstation (as it appears it will to some extent) starts to directly compete with Gamepass, it'll be another easy choice.
Pretty sure they disputed that directly. They chose willingly to work on Gears.