• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Considering the direction he has been pushing Xbox, this is well deserved. Regardless of fanboy love/hate for Phil, he has been pretty much a consistently positive figure for MS and Xbox as a whole.

OP
OP
christocolus

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

some excerpts from his interview with Stephen

"I've never felt like I'm the smartest person in the room or I've got the best education," Spencer said. "It's really come from opportunities that others have afforded me and just recognizing and seeing and then making things possible. So when I'm thinking through any scenario, I try to think through if I were on the other side of something: what would I be grateful for?"
"They needed someone who could rally the troops around a passion for gaming and to sell that internally within Microsoft," former Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told Axios. "And that's exactly what he did."

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome. He is the one to get Microsoft to finally believe. That alone is worth his weight in gold.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
The award will be presented by Todd Howard.

download.jpg

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an Xbox (still too much overlap with PS5 in terms of content), but I like Phil. He sets a positive and inclusive tone for the industry, and seems to be making good-faith efforts towards value, accessibility, etc. A class act.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I know many people detest cults of personality for industry suits, but it's still impressive how far into the ground Mattrick buried the brand and that Xbox is somehow resurging in goodwill under Spencer despite getting dominated last gen.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Phil deserves this - though he is far from done. I like how humble he is about his own capabilities and limits.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
The Xbox brand was manhandled last generation. Sony and Nintendo walk all over it and rightfully so. Don damn near murdered an entire brand and to see its revival in full swing is an amazing feat in such a short time.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a big one, to get this from your peers. Well deserved, Gamepass has truly changed the game and it's influence is changing the industry. How he dealt with Mojang that fundamentally changed how MS deal with studios and provide autonomy, to his vision of eco system agnostic of devices, BC that follows you across generations etc. All good stuff but him convincing MS to go all in with gaming is perhaps his greatest achievement. Really happy where Xbox is because of him. Looks like the industry is too.

Lots more still to come now he's MS gaming CEO.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool. He's done one hell of a job helping xbox back to it's feet. I'd also like to add about their commitment to help people with limitations with the adaptive controller. It kicks ass. Many player who used to improvise ways they coul play are now able to fully enjoy what gaming brings.

MarinZero

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2022
He didn't just turn the ship around, he turned the entire ship out of sinking after collision course. Congrats on a well deserved accolade.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Taking Xbox from near death to now is some turnaround, hoping the next lot of games knock it out the park. I would be sweating spending 69 billion let alone 7 billion. How does he sleep.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know many people detest cults of personality for industry suits, but it's still impressive how far into the ground Mattrick buried the brand and that Xbox is somehow resurging in goodwill under Spencer despite getting dominated last gen.
For sure. I'll always cringe when people praise suits, but you cannot argue how great of a job he's done.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I don't think you need to be in a cult of personality to acknowledge that he pulled the Xbox brand out of the flaming dumpster it was left in, and that the story of his rise through the ranks there was pretty much tailor made for an award like this lol.

Throw in the big picture moves he's made with Microsoft between acquisitions and the large changes he's pushed with their business model, and he's poised to be a very historically consequential figure in the industry.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Not just a PR figurehead, but a true leader who has worked to change the culture at not only Xbox but across the industry. Xbox is in an amazing place due to his leadership.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, nice 👏 .

He really turned it around, too bad they don't also mention the Xbox Adaptive Controller, that's one of the best things created in a while when it comes to accessibility. I've seen some good uses for a variety of audiences and some labs at my Uni use it internally.