• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Phil really trying hard for any Japanese game it seems, except the exclusive titles ala SMT, Persona, Disgaea, Etrian Odyssey or any other JRPG. I'm hoping though he's going to Japan to meet the Nintendo higher ups for future Gamepass on Switch. Already looking forward to that too. He really should fund another Ninja Gaiden game or get Tecmo to bring back Itagaki for 1 more round.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but now people will speculate "omg japanese dev are back on xbox, blue dragon 2 on series x" when in reality it's gonna be much less.

First you said nothing happened while mentioning the something that happened. Now getting the games will lead to disappointment because they aren't the particular games you keep mentioning.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Look at E3 and X0 from last year again or for the first time.

What was notable at E3 2019? The only things I can think of are the Elden Ring announcement (multiplatform) and the announcement of a Phantasy Star Online 2 port?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I keep wondering what Xbox can do to even crack the market in Japan.
Maybe they can't but as long as they do well in the west, Japanese developers will have an incentive to port their games for the platform. Most of the big Japanese games sell better in the west anyway. Not selling well in one country is fine and Japan isn't a particularly big market for home consoles to begin with. Maybe Xcloud can do something but I think they just have to focus on helping Japanese companies sell their products in the west.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP forgetting that Tales of Arise was also announced at Xbox E3 2019 makes me sad.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I keep wondering what Xbox can do to even crack the market in Japan. It's not even regularly stocked in most retail stores unless the person specifically asks for one to be delivered to the store and the games/accessories for it are book ends at best.

All the FF ports and other JRPG goodness is only so much of the market as well. The years of "Japan only likes mario and dragon quest" now include CoD, PUPG, Fortnite and so on just like anywhere else which always feels missing from these Xbox in Japan visits.

Wonder if a big-ish, media push through Japans favorite medium, youtube would do it. Get a group like 2Bro or some other popular gaming channel to highlight the xbox through sponsored content for a few months/a year.

Is PlayStation still lagging behind mobile etc. in Japan like most home consoles in recent times.

I think the problem Xbox has is worldwide and the demographic that plays Xbox. I think the variety is getting better but it will take time and Phil is doing his best. You can't force devs and publishers to make you games. All he can do is convince them and keep trying. With their Xbox on multiple devices approach and game pass it may help in time, can't ignore that user base forever and if Sony is making deals, well keep at and get them after and make it more difficult for Sony to corner exclusives.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I would love it if they managed to reach a deal with Atlus to at least bring some of their future games over to Xbox as well as Playstation and Nintendo. I would also really enjoy ports of the Persona games since I have heard they are good but I will take whatever I can get. Would also be excited to see some deals from Koei-Tecmo and some other developers.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I know right? Like finally working to get all the yakuza, ff to gamepass. You might not like him, but it was hard to convince japan to work on a xb1. I fully expect next gen to be different.

He can do his job without constantly putting out teasing tweets with zero context or content.

Aug 23, 2018

In terms of exclusive games for Xbox publishing arm? No. But Klobrille lays out what had happened in terms of getting nearly every FF on Gamepass, confirmed FF14 is coming, and got a previously exclusive franchise in Yakuza debuting on GP. Having FF7R launch day and date on GPonce the timed exclusivity ends doesn't seem too farfetched

Eventually they'll want more than GP deals for old games though. Publishing/2nd party deals are probably happening on these trips

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When are the FF's coming to games pass? I was just about to purchase 9 when this news dropped. Dying to replay the legendary ps1 trio. 7,8 and 9. Replayed 7 about 3 years ago so I'm not sure if I'm down to start hat again so soon, but give me 9!

OP
OP
Klobrille

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
He's there to build relationships, discuss business plans, introduce/advertise games pass model, since these trips, we see more Japanese games announced on xbox conferences, games enter game pass relatively earlier, and even games skipped xbox being ported for game pass. there was a wide gap for Japanese content between xbox and the competitors since the start of this generation, and it's getting wider and wider before his Asian trips. there may never be a day the gap will be truely closed but it is shrinking.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Oh for sure but not all that surprising. Xbox had fairly good support from Japanese companies last gen into early this gen. Does that mean we'll see a game changing moment? Uhhhh maybe? I'm sure if Microsoft offers some interesting cuts they could bring in some Game Pass exclusives.

Or hell, maybe they're buying Team Ninja from Koei but what would I know?

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
He can do his job without constantly putting out teasing tweets with zero context or content.
Does this honestly hurt you to the point of complaining on a forum? Just move on. There's so much shit in this forum I roll my eyes over and move on. That's it. Phil tweeting he went to japan hurts nobody but the few who want to mock it on this forum.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
How will Goku appear on the Xbox stage this E3?

I do love that Xbox gives stage time to the anime billshit. Sony kind of takes its Japanese support for granted and maybe gives it a PS Blog story and thats it. Xbox loves to waves its Japanese support around front and center and I wonder if Japanese publishers appreciate the spotlight xbox gives them over PlayStation in that regard.
This is a very good point.

I'm personally thrilled to be able to play Tales of Arise and PSO2 on my Xbox. Development takes time but I do believe they'll produce Japanese games soon again like they did during their first two consoles.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I believe you were complaining when they acquired Double Fine and said you didn't like the move because you were a fan of that studio but didn't want to invest in the Xbox brand.

So why would you even be paying attention to Phil's tweets? You clearly aren't the targeted audience.

OP
OP
Klobrille

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Zero content? The content is "I'm going to Japan". It's his Twitter man, he can post whatever he likes.

Being communicative to your fan base is a good thing. I know that's not at all what the other leaderships are known for, but that's exactly what people like about Phil. So no, please, he should continue with being as open as he is.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't you just complaining about Sony's lack of communication the other day? Now you're complaining about MS communicating with fans? I don't get it. You surprisingly praised MS for the very thing you're complaining about now.....

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Phil tweeted the exact same tweet 4 or 5 times this generation, and yet nothing happened except ports that were available on PS4 for years.
Fans of Japanese games that prefer Xbox should know better by now than to make news out of this bullshit.

He has been doing this for years, and Xbox is still exclusively left out of multiplatform games. It's a second class, "better late than never" platform for us.

Holy shit the salt! Yakuza on Xbox for the first time is massive. Plus its on Gamepass. Now this does open up the question about future Yakuza games. Also, its a new gen and 3rd parties are extremely open to throw full support towards platform holders, this is important news as something does always come from these meetings.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It gets people talking, yes there is some forum talk but you really don't think it helps build connections with devs, publishers, highlights Xbox and gaming from Japan. It's all good no harm. Screw memos, be open and enlighten people.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't you just complaining about Sony's lack of communication the other day? Now you're complaining about MS communicating with fans? I don't get it. You surprisingly praised MS for the very thing you're complaining about now.....

You know why. It's like there is some unwritten rule here where every xbox topic needs some negative shitposting in it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

There's a difference between announcements and empty, vague teasing. Vagueness isn't communication, it's the illusion of communication.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between announcements and empty, vague teasing. Vagueness isn't communication, it's the illusion of communication.

Good grief, lighten up a little. These are video games, and many fans including myself enjoy knowing that he is making such trips and to hear any "teasing" of the future support for Xbox. And X019 was clear evidence that his trips and tweets last year made a difference as I wait to play the Yakuza games for the first time on Xbox Game Pass soon :)

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
So wait...

ITT salt about him tweeting about what he's doing? Clearly it's to build speculation and intrigue. The man is doing his job and clearly it's working because we're here talking about it.

But to act like nothing has come of these trips is silly. I've never played a Yakuza game, but now I will try one out just because I'll have access to it on GP. That's not nothing...

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Here's the plan Phil.

Go to Sega and offer to fund Forza Presents Outrun 3 featuring Ferrari.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
This is embarrassing. He's communicating that he's in Japan, working on things for his company's game console(s), which haven't had the best Japanese support this gen. That's exactly what communication is. Relax a bit.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Based on the responses per the outcome of his last publicised visit, guessing the most likely result from this new visit is more Japanese titles on Game Pass? Would be cool to get Resident Evil 3 Remake on there!

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the responses per the outcome of his last publicised visit, guessing the most likely result from this new visit is more Japanese titles on Game Pass? Would be cool to get Resident Evil 3 Remake on there!
Thats a stretch, RE2 would be hot tho. Feel like DMCV came on there really soon.