• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I think ESA, all the major publishers that were gonna have their own event and Microsoft will probably get together to hash out the digital show plans. Microsoft will probably get first billing and have the choice of which major third party games will have their major initial debut at their show, then all the others can follow. EA will do their own thing since they aren't officially part of E3 but may still have their initial debut of any major games at Microsoft e3 show like how Anthem was revealed. That's my prediction.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I want a quirky Xbox Direct similar to Nintendo's with "oh yeah, one more thing" and "snaps fingers" :p. Slowly E3 is dying now

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I get the point of playing games on display at E3 and whatever else, but to me at least in 2020, we really should move to streaming big events. This was an expected change due to the virus, but it makes me wonder what is in store for the future.
Can't wait until they present and you can instantly Steam a demo of the game via Stadia, xCloud or whatever

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For example, there's a pretty clear difference between Xbox's and Ubisoft's messaging, that's all
i cant believe people on here can imagine rubbish like this. Dishonestly speaking about the safety of others to push your fanboy agenda. Its toxic.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think a digital show could do wonders for Microsoft. They've had a strong amount of content for a couple of years now, but the pacing of their shows is pretty rubbish, and oftentimes at least 45 minutes too long. Editing down a video might make it clearer to them.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Cross-posting this as it's perfect:
Give me Uncle Phil beside a fireplace in a smoking jacket with a glass of whiskey in his hand.

Phil: It's been an exciting year at XGS. Let's see how our developers around the world are doing, starting with Obsidian Entertainment.

*cut to prepared video from Obsidian where Feargus and the game directors talk TOW DLC, Grounded, and reveal the unannounced game. It ends with Feargus saying "Back to you, Phil."*

Phil, after taking a sip of whiskey: Great work from our new friends at Obsidian, but they're not the only developer making RPGs. Let's head on over to Playground Games to see how Forza Horizon 5 and our newly rebooted Fable franchise are coming along.

*Cut to video from Playground games*

and so on. At some point Tim Schafer comes in to cut Phil off from the whiskey and proceeds to start drinking it himself. The show continues.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I need the T10 dude to show up with a new hypercar to introduce the next Forza Motorsports

Oct 1, 2019
It's nice that some gaming companies still likes to talk to their audience and inform them about their plans. Definitely looking forward to their digital event and next console.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
There's more to it than just showing games. E3's been a place where a lot of devs, media and otherwise who are friends can meet, projects can literally get deals signed on the showfloor, studios can meet with fans in person and so on. I don't mind 'directs' or whatever, but you can't replicate that with an online thing.
Exactly. As someone that was on the retail side of things for a long time, E3/CES was where you go to meet with people to see things, talk about allocations and timing/displays etc. This has been less in the recent years, but it still was a easy way to get to many people in a short amount of time and in a very close proximity. We use to have "pre-E3" meetings with several of the bigger vendors (Sony, MS, Nintendo, Sega) and then had follow-up meetings at E3. To many here on the forum they think E3 is just about a press conference and trailers for games, but it is so much more than that for those in the industry.

I also find it funny how some are calling this the "death blow" to E3. Hell the NBA just postponed the Season, does not mean the NBA is folding. E3 will be back next year.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It feels like this is the end of the E3. The slow death startet wird the leaving of Nintendo some years ago. This is the Final blow.
Talk about someone that is clearly uniformed and thinks E3 is just about a press conference and nothing else. Nintendo just stopped doing press conference, Nintendo has always had a big booth on the show floor even last year and was going to be this year.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I believe that publishers no longer wait for that one special week each year to announce their games. Maybe announcements will spread through the whole year.

We don't have to watch cringy live conferences.

I'm tired of wasting my time on dancing or pop artists in Ubi conferences.

Tired when announcer said some shit and waiting for applause... Etc.

We don't need this anymore.

Obviously this is opinion but I loved having a fuckton of announcements all loaded into one week. It was incredible and I looked forward to it every year. Dripfeeding just doesn't get me as excited.

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the transparency.

giphy.gif

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
E3 is like any industry event. For some sections of its industry it serves an essential function and is embraced and beloved. For some - an extra tax on bandwidth or precious production resources - and for consumers, a moment- like Film Festivals where the news and reveals are exciting and welcomed.

Very few companies begin a big game production without considering those events and so if they're properly planned for they are incorporated into the calendar of human and logistical resources.

launch years for big games can squeeze the effort and create tricky branches- polishing art and frame rates that would otherwise be ready in a more natural or organic cadence- and like any production landmark- it often doesn't go as planned and feels "extra" (and sometimes unexpected asks ARE extra - those suck) but usual, ultimately those efforts are in a plan somewhere.

the big companies will be challenged since some of that work is now sunk cost - but the smaller companies and indies are dealing with that at sometimes more profound scale and worse - I. The aftermath of GDC impact- normally the "Sundance " for indie and small devs to network and collaborate and sign deals and get vital learnings.

I'm heartbroken for anyone who worked with love and pride on something they truly cared about only to see that work go to waste or worse- and in an environment of extreme doubt and no horizon to scan - but especially for the folks impacted by the triple whammy of two giant events and an economy tumbled into chaos for a period we can't guess right now.

There's upside for some - more players with more time- and games are still one of the best bangs for buck (Three levels of Donkey Kong on a 4k cartridge used to cost the equivalent of $70 or so adjusted for inflation compared to lord knows how many hours of The Witcher 3) so there's going to be more engagement- but money's going to be tight for many.

I can't take even a second of joy in E3 being gone this year for those reasons and thousands more - most of them with faces and families - who wanted to use that show to delight and surprise and entertain us.

Best of luck to everyone- gamers, families, cities, studios, publishers, people and nations- and in this context- especially to those directly impacted by the cancellation.

I don't begrudge the folks saying "screw e3" that opinion and in some cases they'd have salient points - but I can't go along for that particular hayride. Allergies, you know? That's why my eyes are watering.

Edit. Whoops DP

Last edited:

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Best of luck to everyone- gamers, families, cities, studios, publishers, people and nations- and in this context- especially to those directly impacted by the cancellation.

I don't begrudge the folks saying "screw e3" that opinion and in some cases they'd have salient points - but I can't go along for that particular hayride. Allergies, you know? That's why my eyes are watering.
Thanks for dropping in. I think your message is an important one. Some folks around here need to take a step back and think a little bit before grave dancing all over something like E3.