• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
Did you have a bad time when you went to E3 or something?

Feel free to share your story, "fuck e3" doesn't quite do it.
I believe that publishers no longer wait for that one special week each year to announce their games. Maybe announcements will spread through the whole year.

We don't have to watch cringy live conferences.

I'm tired of wasting my time on dancing or pop artists in Ubi conferences.

Tired when announcer said some shit and waiting for applause... Etc.

We don't need this anymore.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Damn thats a real bummer but understandable as this situation will get much worse before it gets better.

May 25, 2019
London
Sadly there are some that just like to prop up whatever decisions their favorite platform holder might make regarding things like E3 regardless of whether others actually enjoy it or more importantly have professional benefit from it too.

You're not wrong.

There is legitimate concern over how the ESA has handled jouranlists' information over the last few years, but I feel like a huge chunk of this "To hell with E3!" narrative has been the fact that Sony decided to skip 2019 and 2020, and that decision must now be spun to be the fault of E3.

E3 is not as great as it once was, but I still really enjoy having one time a year where I can expect news and announcements for every platform. There's a feeling of tradition there when it used to be right at the end of the school year as the kickoff to summer, and gave my friends and I stuff to talk about as we hung out over the next several weeks and months. I like the smaller events throughout the year as well but I would hope there's always an E3 in some form.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know for sure. Hope most of the digital events will take place over the day few days around the same time that E3 would have taken place (early-mid June).

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. i still get to enjoy E3 in some way. Those announcements and potential bombs will be glorious to watch from the comfort of my living room. :) Now just get Jeff on and do your annual interview.

Last edited:

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, does this mean we have to endure Major Nelson and his inside Xbox cringe fest. Please say no

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox has done a generally great job with their E3 presentations in recent years, but their Inside Xbox presentations are absolutely horrendous. Hopefully this is much more like the former than the latter, but I'm not optimistic given the consistency and the people still being employed on the Inside Xbox side.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Oh god, does this mean we have to endure Major Nelson and his inside Xbox cringe fest. Please say no

To be fair, I think I actually prefer this format than a Direct. I feel like Directs and State of Plays in particular lack any kind of identity. Having a narrator guide you through a literal slideshow (the way they transition from video to video) is lifeless and soul-less. At least, it feels more like an event in a studio with presenters.

I agree that the Inside Xbox team aren't up to the task, but having Phil, Sarah Bond, Matt Booty, etc. in-between trailers to talk about what we just saw and tease what's next feels infinitely more interesting to me.

Inside Xbox at X019 is a good base (even though it had an audience).

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that publishers no longer wait for that one special week each year to announce their games. Maybe announcements will spread through the whole year.

E3 isn't just conferences though.

Still don't understand your animosity.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Cool, MS was the only thing I cared about at E3 anyway, ill miss the live show, but im glad they're still gonna show all the new Xbox stuff.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019

You could just... wait for each day of e3 to be over then watch the trailers...

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
A digital event, with a live stream from the Xbox Reveal Tent on Microsoft campus perhaps?

xboxrevealtentl6k5n.png

While the reveal of Xbox One in 2013 wasn't the best, I do remember the hype surrounding the tent was quite intriguing to follow.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, i don't care that much about E3, but i'm not sure how a microsoft direct would be. Just imagining Major Nalson talking all the time... yeah, not excited about that. But lets wait and see.

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
this is good news ! Looking forward to this

I think a lot of folks seem to ignore or forget that E3 has lots of business deals behind closed doors. I'm always confused as to why some people were happy with E3 'dying'.

Having a centralized event with super expensive pricing (booth etc.) that shadows everything else might piss off some people.

I'm all for a BALANCED year with E3, Gamescom or Paris games week + TGS (for Japanese games) and for Q1 Streaming events and the PAX.

Right now I'm sorry but majority of AAA are anounced for the E3. it gives a feeling of unbalance...and game releasing all on the same timeframe because everything revolves around this E3...

Not going to talk about crunching to finish THAT demo or gameplay trailer of a game,...with a more ventilated year...not enough time for E3 ? Ok Gamescom is here. BUT right now, if it's not at E3, the spotlight is stolen and you have to 'downgrade' to the gamescom you see what I mean ?

it's like your game MUST be at E3 to generate maximum hype, I don't like that and I'm equally responsible of course, but I'm now really watching the gamescom and game award show...because giving them more importance is paramount.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
To be fair he looks like the most generic video game character ever created

was this shit necessary?

The guy you're responding to goes into detail about how E3 is an extremely valuable event for many small devs/publishers for networking, and to get their games in the hands of journalists etc.
then you go on and repeat the same old talking points about the keynote speeches.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Since when have you been forced to watch any of this? Just turn off? No E3 doesn't mean pubs won't a save thier gaming announcements for another special day. I don't understand your stance, pubs will continue to look for opportune moments, and your not forced to watch any of it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox has done a generally great job with their E3 presentations in recent years, but their Inside Xbox presentations are absolutely horrendous. Hopefully this is much more like the former than the latter, but I'm not optimistic given the consistency and the people still being employed on the Inside Xbox side.
It'll be much better. They stretched those shows as they didn't have much to reveal. Xbox at E3 is a different beast altogether, it'll be a barrage of megaton bombs. Especially as it's next gen season.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I never valued the live presentation. Replacing it with a high quality recorded video would be much better. No weird camera angles, no awkward introductions and jokes... just show some games.

As someone who only consumed e3 from my monitor, the only thing I'll miss are show floor impressions... but that can be replaced too.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
There's more to it than just showing games. E3's been a place where a lot of devs, media and otherwise who are friends can meet, projects can literally get deals signed on the showfloor, studios can meet with fans in person and so on. I don't mind 'directs' or whatever, but you can't replicate that with an online thing.

What do you think will happen instead of E3 fades away? Doesn't this cancellation seem pretty fatal?

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Trolling and Console Warring
From these tweets it sounds like they would rather the event go on as planned, pretty irresponsible given the virus situation