• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will be part of the ESA's planned digital event, or if they'll just make it another Inside Xbox.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bummer for the people who were gonna attend. But it was clear they weren't going to stop showing their next-gen load.

Dec 25, 2018
I get the point of playing games on display at E3 and whatever else, but to me at least in 2020, we really should move to streaming big events. This was an expected change due to the virus, but it makes me wonder what is in store for the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on how successful the online model is, they might just abandon the press conference format altogether...

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
This is what I expected. Didn't think there was any way they'd keep moving forward with how bad this outbreak could get.

I also expected MS to throw their own event/stream instead. 2 for 2 on what I fully expected to happen. I wonder if a bunch of developers will simply join them for the stream...I'm guessing that's how a lot will move forward to show off their games/information.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Really interested to see how the industry responds.
Do they rally around a June event, keeping the timeframe intact?

Last edited:

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was the obvious thing to do. Hopefully this will have less filler now that it's not a press conference. Just show us Halo, Fable and some other next gen games.

Really interested to see how the industry responds.
Do they rally around a June event, keeping the timeframe intact?

It'll probably be a similar time frame solely based on developers already have the expectation that they'll need their demos ready then. Those things aren't easy to make. If they're pre-recorded now it might makes things easier on them.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to know we'll at least have something to look forward to in or around June.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Phil should still find a way to sit down for a long form interview with Gerstmann on Mixer. To me, that is E3.

Maxroy

Dec 5, 2019
Is this the year that the dream of having demos that would be on the showfloor in a playable format at home becomes a reality.

Kind of what Geoff did with The Game Awards last year, but even more limited access (just please don't lock it behind Xcloud).

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I get the point of playing games on display at E3 and whatever else, but to me at least in 2020, we really should move to streaming big events. This was an expected change due to the virus, but it makes me wonder what is in store for the future.
There's more to it than just showing games. E3's been a place where a lot of devs, media and otherwise who are friends can meet, projects can literally get deals signed on the showfloor, studios can meet with fans in person and so on. I don't mind 'directs' or whatever, but you can't replicate that with an online thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I believe live conference events are always better, there's a good reason Apple has stuck to that method.

But given the circumstances, I think Xbox has a real chance of combating Sony's messaging. Now it's anyone's guess when things will be relieved.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft direct has finally come to. Wonder if wb will show off some of those games they dont want to announce their.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So the game of cat and mouse begins with sony and ms of who announces the date of their digital conference first to reveal price :p

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
The knock on effect will be bad for companies, service industry near where e3 is rely heavily on it for the year.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
There's more to it than just showing games. E3's been a place where a lot of devs, media and otherwise who are friends can meet, projects can literally get deals signed on the showfloor, studios can meet with fans in person and so on. I don't mind 'directs' or whatever, but you can't replicate that with an online thing.
Correct. A new studio called Playground Games met with T10 and MS at E3 and thats how Forza Horizon started.

Deleted member 63305

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 23, 2020
I believe live conference events are always better, there's a good reason Apple has stuck to that method.

But given the circumstances, I think Xbox has a real chance of combating Sony's messaging. Now it's anyone's guess when things will be relieved.

Man this 100%. Alot less leaks now if MSFT keeps everything in house now for the digital. THIS GON BE GOOD!

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mixer Mixer Mixer Mixer Mixer Mixer Mixer

This might actually be great for Microsoft if its Mixer only.... get more people on the platform.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
As long as its not like their Inside Xbox events I am cool. Screw it just film Phil sitting at his desk and after each trailer drops he is wearing a new t-shirt.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

I think a lot of folks seem to ignore or forget that E3 has lots of business deals behind closed doors. I'm always confused as to why some people were happy with E3 'dying'.