• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
As a primarily console player, I'm happy with a constant, correctly frame-paced 30fps, maybe with a tasteful spot of motion blur. I think one of the problems I had with Gears 5 is that its presentation was supposed to be epic and cinematic, but the 60fps made everything seem too light and weightless.

I remember being very impressed with Sunset Overdrive in this regard - it feels very smooth, even though it's only 30fps, because the framerate was consistent and they used just the right amount of motion blur.

Achieving 60fps usually involves compromises to graphical detail or resolution. Red Dead Redemption 2 on Xbox One X is amazing because they said to hell with 60fps, and gave us locked 30fps with a native 4K image that looks *chef's kiss*.

If framerates of 60fps or above are important to you, you get a PC.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer 4k with every effect cranked to the max at 15fps with screen tearing for that cinematic feel. playability comes second.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like they can't patch it in later. How many TVs even supports that high frame rate if any? And what do they cost?

There are a ton of 120hz panel TVs, are they the majority? No. But this is not some far-flung future tech. As for cost, a 55in Samsung RU8000 can be had for around $650US. Budget brands like Hisense and TLC also do so. It's a lot closer than you think.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I would like an option. I'm pretty much ok with 30 fps, i barly see a difference to 60 (i'm getting old)

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Drastically better. I think diminishing returns applies to the hardware and how far forward the tech can be pushed for a certain amount of money. I don't think it applies to the talent that uses the tools. So now that we're getting a proper jump in technology....you're going to see a proper jump from the oh so talented devs out there. And if you agree to say that Hellblade trailer is real representation of what we can get then you also have to agree that bar can rise as the gen goes on. I'm positive death stranding built exclusively for next gen systems would look a generation better than what you got on ps4.
At a certain point you're bumping into reality. Character models in some of these games today are already nearing that point. To think things are going to look drastically better than that.....well, I don't even know what to say. You're going to end up disappointed.

The biggest things I see improving this gen are frame rates, draw distances, the quality of certain effects, etc. You will see improvements across the board, as always, but I don't think they will be described as drastic, especially when it comes to character models.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I like him. Now announce some cool games that aren't Forza/Halo/Gears and I will defo pick up the new Xbox :)

What happened to the Fable rumors? Nothing got announced right?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
As a primarily console player, I'm happy with a constant, correctly frame-paced 30fps, maybe with a tasteful spot of motion blur. I think one of the problems I had with Gears 5 is that its presentation was supposed to be epic and cinematic, but the 60fps made everything seem too light and weightless.

So you want lag?!

You should halve switched off game mode for that heavy weighty feel

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
This guy flip flops his words way too much, first he says people prefer graphics and people don't prefer FPS, now all of a sudden he says people care about FPS.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
:) Nothing game-breaking, but I suppose you accept a tiny amount of lag when you play at lower framerates.

Honestly, for Phil to say this is pushing me away from Xbox, especially if Sony continue to focus more on 30fps games. Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, God of War - all unmitigated highlights of the generation, all 30fps.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
This guy flip flops his words way too much, first he says people prefer graphics and people don't prefer FPS, now all of a sudden he says people care about FPS.
lol wut

phil has been talking about framerates as his focus since before scarlett was even referred to "next generation console"

it's also not an either/or.

edit:

look at this guy flip flop (from august 2014 btw)

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Meant first party games.

Have Ori on Switch, the first one, great game indeed!
d3d848ff-cdc7-46d1-8e39-c6dc6f3efe45.jpg

In before "I've got a gaming PC" 😂

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
It'll be nice if FPS generally improve with next gen so people can stop with this "cinematic feeling" nonsense.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
d3d848ff-cdc7-46d1-8e39-c6dc6f3efe45.jpg

In before "I've got a gaming PC" 😂

Nope, and I prefer consoles. Had an X1 but ended up selling it since I wasn't interested in most of the exclusives (Sunset was awesome AF though).

But gamepass is a pretty amazing deal, and their controller are *cheff's kiss*, so announcing some exclusive games more in my preferred genres would hook me.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, and I prefer consoles. Had an X1 but ended up selling it since I wasn't interested in most of the exclusives (Sunset was awesome AF though).

But gamepass is a pretty amazing deal, and their controller are *cheff's kiss*, so announcing some exclusive games more in my preferred genres would hook me.
Then be specific and say that instead of saying "announce some cool games that aren't Forza/Halo/Gears".

They've been announcing cool games and will announce more this year especially for XSX reveal and E3.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
At a certain point you're bumping into reality. Character models in some of these games today are already nearing that point. To think things are going to look drastically better than that.....well, I don't even know what to say. You're going to end up disappointed.

The biggest things I see improving this gen are frame rates, draw distances, the quality of certain effects, etc. You will see improvements across the board, as always, but I don't think they will be described as drastic, especially when it comes to character models.

I don't think there's a single in game model that gets close to reality. I really think you're over selling the current bar.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I just recently started gaming on a 34" widescreen monitor. I liked it so much I'm trading up monitors to go from 75hz to 144hz. I think I prefer a 1480P widescreen to the 65" Oled for high framerate games. I wonder how many console gamers would switch from TV to monitor if they felt how smooth and how much more connected they were to the things happening on screen. So yeah...you keep promoting this Phil. 60fps minimum options for all console games. I'll give up my K's.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
Strange then, that Nintendo, Activision, and Microsoft, to name a few, are clearly putting time, effort, and money towards 60 FPS. I don't think they'd bother if they didn't think it would influence quality, and therefore sales.

Let's say Nintendo saved on some dev time and money to let Mario Kart 8 out at 30 FPS. Are you proposing that wouldn't have had any sales impact?

Targeting 30 fps doesn't make development cheaper. It is a design choice.

Unless you can prove otherwise, 30fps games don't sell less than 60fps games. There are lots of sale charts available.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Targeting 30 fps doesn't make development cheaper. It is a design choice.

Unless you can prove otherwise, 30fps games don't sell less than 60fps games. There are lots of sale charts available.
All else being equal, optimizing a game to run at 60 will require more development resources than optimizing a game to run at 30. (Of course all else is not equal, usually.) Even getting a game to run at 30 costs resources--look at the situation with Control and their struggles to get the game running well. It's not just a design choice, unless you think Control had performance issues because of artistic vision or something.

What use would sales charts have to prove the answer to this question? You'd need a randomized controlled trial. Show a game that's identical in every way, except framerate, and gauge the response. I think a F2P mobile dev could pull this study off, if they wanted to.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Not into it at all, particularly taken in context with their focus on ecosystems. A proper 30 is fine and I want my next-gen games to actually look the part.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
:) Nothing game-breaking, but I suppose you accept a tiny amount of lag when you play at lower framerates.

Honestly, for Phil to say this is pushing me away from Xbox, especially if Sony continue to focus more on 30fps games. Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, God of War - all unmitigated highlights of the generation, all 30fps.

Hol up

So if those games came to PC or got PS5 updates that increased the fps to 60+ would they not be as good to you....somehow...?

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
That's the part people don't think a lot about. Stuff might look good, but then you start moving it loses all it's detail in motion anyway. At 60 fps+ it loses a lot less detail during movement. Look at a game like Gears 5(on the X). Games don't have to target 30 fps to look good.

As someone who games on PC a lot, even 60 fps doesn't feel great anymore compared to 144. I can barely stand 30 fps in modern games with a lot of motion.
Exactly!

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing I care about it's frame rate so this is great news
I primarily play on PC because of frame rate even, if it's locked to 30 on console I'll buy the game on PC always

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Can I just say that that whole interview is fucking weird, and he was actually kinda goaded into saying that

The interviewer said almost right before then that he isn't technical and just wants the graphics to look good and that's it.. Then flips the script to framerate after inferring heavily that he didn't care about that stuff. That's why Phil said "why do you care about 60fps??"

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
I damn hope we get higher framerates next gen, playing Destiny 2 on PC at 60+ FPS is a fresh of breath air in comparison to XBX1 even though for me the console version is running at a higher resolution and better textures/settings.