• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I think I agree with Phil here.

It's been real nice having a 144Hz monitor at 1080p for a while now. I'd maybe say 1440p would be the sweet spot. Can still get those high framerates with a little resolution bump and I'd be gravy. But for now, totally cool with how things are. Maybe one day I'll say otherwise when it's easier to do 4K at 120Hz with settings cranked up.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I wonder if someone is gonna be crazy enough to make a fighting game in 120hz one day.

....or has someone already done something like that before?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Plus he games a ton! I always see him on Xbox

It doesn't fit the narrative of the Sony Stan that there is anything genuine about Phil. I agree he's a suit, but one of the better ones, but to them he doesn't *actually* game and is faking it (maybe paying somebody to pretend to be him on his gamertag? Crazy shit). To them, he is exploiting disabled gamers with the accessibility controller and so on as opposed to doing something good. There's nothing real about him to them. Hell, people who have shit on xcloud are stanning for Stadia. There's really obvious patterns exposed in all this shit.

Some of them are dialing back decades and putting dollar signs in Microsoft's acronym.

You do the math.

For the record, I'm wary of every digital media company and that includes Google, Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Disney, Nintendo, and others. Phil isn't somebody I think is fake. Hell, he might be a tool of Microsoft, just like all these other companies have tools, but if so he's less intentionally benign...or maybe he's just so good he actually does good things and that's why we should be wary....maybe the problem with Phil, is he's just *too* good.

I think I agree with Phil here.

It's been real nice having a 144Hz monitor at 1080p for a while now. I'd maybe say 1440p would be the sweet spot.

1440p isn't a television resolution. It does a weird non integer scale to 4K. I'm not saying there's no place for it in consoles, but it will always be on the fringe. People who play consoles on computer displays aren't important enough to consider. Consoles pair with televisions for most gamers, and 1440p TVs don't exist.

Nov 8, 2017
Having a significantly larger amount of 60fps games on their console is probably one of the few things that could get me on board with Xbox. I'm not going to jump in though until we see how it actually plays out.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I have heard this before many times. Don't underestimate developer's desire to push the graphics so far out that 60fps again goes out of reach.
I mean, we heard it at the start of the current gen, and a lot of games really made the transition to 60fps, way more than last gen, 60fps is almost a standard now for multiplayer games.
It's only logical for things to improve even more next gen when the consoles are designed with that in mind, and actually have competent CPUs.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, we heard it at the start of the current gen, and a lot of games really made the transition to 60fps, way more than last gen, 60fps is almost a standard now for multiplayer games.
It's only logical for things to improve even more next gen when the consoles are designed with that in mind, and actually have competent CPUs.
Nah way too many games especially AAA single player ones still run at 30fps. What mitigated the issue somewhat is the mid-gen refreshes, but the base consoles still continue to be struggle city. I'm only hopeful for next-gen because of the VRR support, and I'm hoping devs will at least give you an option to run it unlocked for people with VRR supported TVs.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Except it isn't. Many of the best or most critically acclaimed console games of all time have been 30fps titles, and it's no different this gen either. Hell, every single consensus GOTY over more than a decade, has been a 30fps title, which should highlight how effective or conducive a 30fps console target can be in order to achieve more ambitious or appealing games.

It it was 30fps all else the same vs 60fps all else the same, obviously the 30fps option would be far worse, but that is never the case. Usually it's 30fps + far better visuals, scale, scope, resolution etc, vs 60fps with less of all that stuff. I'm talking strictly consoles here and not PC's.
Having pretty graphics doesn't make 30 FPS any better though - it's still 30 FPS. There's little you can do to fix 30 FPS motion, other than rendering at a higher frame rate.
It may be your choice to prefer 30 FPS because you care about static resolution over moving resolution or gameplay, but it doesn't change that 30 FPS is bad for motion.
The only thing that stops 30 FPS juddering in motion is to cover it up with motion blur so that you can't see anything. Well, 30Hz black frame insertion also works, but most people aren't going to tolerate 30Hz flicker.

What I hope is that next-gen reconstruction techniques will have game developers targeting 60 FPS because the image will look like native 4K as soon as you stop moving - which is all the 30 FPS crowd cares about.

1440p isn't a television resolution. It does a weird non integer scale to 4K. I'm not saying there's no place for it in consoles, but it will always be on the fringe. People who play consoles on computer displays aren't important enough to consider. Consoles pair with televisions for most gamers, and 1440p TVs don't exist.
Lots of current-gen games are already rendering 1440p. Integer scaling is not relevant in games using TAA and reconstruction techniques to output a 4K/8K image.

It's fine, it's all about proper steady frame pacing. Don't be hyperbolic.
I assumed that anyone saying 30 FPS is "fine" would have meant "30 FPS with good frame pacing" because bad frame-pacing is terrible at any frame rate.

There should be some 3 settings and the res would be adjusted to this, like for example Shutter priority in cameras.

30 FPS with maximum res possible
60 FPS as above
120 FPS as above

let the speed dictate what resolution you get so to say.
The problem is that this is not how things work.
If GPU load was all that mattered, you could absolutely set things up that way.
4K30 would be equivalent to 1440p at 67.5 FPS, or 1080p 120 FPS.

But as you increase frame rate, the CPU requirements also go up.
If a game is built for 30 FPS and is pushing the CPU, it doesn't matter if you drop the resolution to 480p. You aren't going to be running the game at 120 FPS. It may not even hit 60.

Oct 27, 2017
Given the cross gen nature of the early set of titles this is probably the easiest thing to do for developers. Having vastly rework world geometry, shaders, textures, etc for Base Xbox One, One X, and X Series without even considering PC would be a nightmare. Much less time consuming to simply take what's 1400-1800P/30FPS on the One X and crank up setting or two up and render at 4K/60 on the X Series.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I mean, I would bet that most people don't have TVs yet that even support 120hz.
Yep, especially 4k/120, but a whole bunch of TVs will have HDMI 2.1 this upcoming year. It is definitely going to be the standard. If you have a high-end TV from the last couple of years you might also have support up to 4k/120, especially an OLED!

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Music to my ears Phil, its about time framerate gets prioritized on consoles.

Sadly I suspect that ray tracing will stand in the way for that to actually happen, that said Im really excited to see ray tracing implemented.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know. Doesn't really change what I said though. Definitely talking more generally not console specific.

Last edited:

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember in 2009 when Insomniac did some half-assed market research, "proved" that no one really cared about framerate, and decided to abandon 60 FPS?

The industry has come a long way since then.

Oct 27, 2017
those exist

and ive been told for years that fiddling with menu options isnt what people want
I think people are talking about threads like this
www.resetera.com

Red Dead Redemption II PC performance thread

(Click for general game info.) 🖥️ System requirements: 🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022) AMD: 22.2.2 Nvidia: 511.79 📊 Benchmarks: ComputerBase (German; 06/11/2019 build[?]) GamersNexus (English; launch build; CPU-focused) GamersNexus (English; 06/11/2019 build[?]; CPU-focused) GamersNexus...

I get it, some people like that kind of stuff, many don't. Give me an option like in Borderlands 3, Performance or Resolution, that's enough for me

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
If every single game had a 60FPS mode on consoles my gaming habits would change significantly as a PC gamer. I have my beefy PC hooked to my TV and it's my preferred gaming method by far, but a console would be more convenient at that guaranteed level of performance and a decent laptop should be more than enough to play all the PC exclusives I'm into.

But as it is the prevalence of 30FPS games on consoles is unbearable.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Phil just keeps on saying all the right things.

This is the future I have been hoping for and the main reason why I recently bought an LG C9 OLED with 120Hz support and HDMI 2.1. Gimme those sweet, sweet frames!

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Good on ya, Phil. But I have no confidence in framerates being prioritized on consoles in the near future. FPS just isn't buzzwordy enough.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
#ourguy

Most new games in 2021 on consoles should have performance mode. Developer aims for 4k/30fps? That's great, but add performance mode with lower resolution too and maybe ray tracing off for people that love smoother experience. Options are good thing.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Remember people, new gen is happening this year. There's going to be a lot of talk about what they say they'll do, but never assume it's going to be the case in reality.

Pinch of salt is needed here. None of them are our guy.

Oct 27, 2017
That still holds true. Framerate doesn't seem to influence sales.

I think it does. I think people not understanding what "Frames Per Second" is or means, or being unable to convey why they prefer games at 60fps, is the issue.

I am absolutely certain that being such a fluid experience at 60fps is what made COD4: Modern Warfare blow up, and keep every COD since so popular. On consoles it was just that much quicker and responsive compared to anything else, especially at the time but to an extent still is.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That still holds true. Framerate doesn't seem to influence sales.
Strange then, that Nintendo, Activision, and Microsoft, to name a few, are clearly putting time, effort, and money towards 60 FPS. I don't think they'd bother if they didn't think it would influence quality, and therefore sales.

Let's say Nintendo saved on some dev time and money to let Mario Kart 8 out at 30 FPS. Are you proposing that wouldn't have had any sales impact?

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The man is correct. All modern displays can do 60 fps. Let´s have consoles catch up. The SNES gen was the last one that targeted 60 and 50 in Europe.
Unless we are talking about walking games and whatnot. They can stay @30 fps and flex their resolution muscles.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
While I acknowledge the leap this gen will be bigger from a spec perspective, I still don't think it will materially alter my point. Go look at a screenshot from Uncharted 4. How much better do you think they can make Drake look on PS5?

Drastically better. I think diminishing returns applies to the hardware and how far forward the tech can be pushed for a certain amount of money. I don't think it applies to the talent that uses the tools. So now that we're getting a proper jump in technology....you're going to see a proper jump from the oh so talented devs out there. And if you agree to say that Hellblade trailer is real representation of what we can get then you also have to agree that bar can rise as the gen goes on. I'm positive death stranding built exclusively for next gen systems would look a generation better than what you got on ps4.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I know. Doesn't really change what I said though. Definitely talking more generally not console specific.

Better to go checkerboard 4k with dynamic than using an arbitrary PC resolution for consoles.

It's not like they can't patch it in later. How many TVs even supports that high frame rate if any? And what do they cost?

The 7th gen OLEDs are hugely popular among gamers here and support 1080p at 120hz.

The number of TVs that are actually in living rooms that support 1080p/120 is absolutely massive compared to the quantity that can take 1440p. Heck, those 7th gen OLEDs? They take 1440p at 30fps and not one frame higher; useless.