• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Resolution above 1440p is a waste 99.9% of this forum will not see a diff on a blind test.
This just is not true at all.......It really does depend on screen size and how close you are to the screen. I think 8k is going to end up being pretty pointless though. Currently I have a 65" OLED and I sit about 6 feet away when I play and the differences are real between 1080, 1440, and 4k. Of course If it was a choice between 1440p/60FPS and 4k/30FPS I would choose the first every time, but the differences are real.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Would anyone be interested in Ori and the Will of the Wisps in 120hz on Xbox?
What kind of graphical downgrade would need to happen for a 120hz version on the current Xbox One X?

I know that everyone is thinking about a Xbox Series X version with 120hz, but I'm curious if it could already be done on an Xbox One X with certain compromises?

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
There should be some 3 settings and the res would be adjusted to this, like for example Shutter priority in cameras.

30 FPS with maximum res possible
60 FPS as above
120 FPS as above

let the speed dictate what resolution you get so to say.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Presumably why the site you rep voted Death Stranding (a 30fps title) as Best Game Graphics of 2019 (alongside Metro Exodus), and why DICE, NAVGTR, GDC and other graphics and tech awards routinely or commonly go to 30fps titles lol.
I did not promote that as Best Game Graphics of 2019.

My preferences, and what I consider impressive, made me choose other games.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Presumably why the site you rep voted Death Stranding (a 30fps title) as Best Game Graphics of 2019 (alongside Metro Exodus), and why DICE, NAVGTR, GDC and other graphics and tech awards routinely or commonly go to 30fps titles lol.

30fps=nice to look at
60+fps=nice to actually play

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
The challenge with the quality/performance mode options that we have seen this gen is that neither choice is optimal and they really should have focused on one instead of giving players a choice.

Most performance options never hit a steady 60fps and usually float around 40-50fps which is definitely not smooth. Quality modes stick around 30fps but the difference is not that large over the performance mode.

MS has been great in pushing 60fps in all of their 1st party titles and I am going to assume that is going to carry over into next gen.
I think we just had the problem of too many compromises on the PS4 and especially Xbox One CPU's this last gen. No matter what a game was aiming for sacrifices had to be made. Couldn't push too much physics, or too many things on screen, or if you did then all fidelity needs to go out the window, or if you don't want to sacrifice fidelity then you must sacrifice frame rates.....So glad we have strong CPU's in the upcoming new consoles.....

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
There should be some 3 settings and the res would be adjusted to this, like for example Shutter priority in cameras.

30 FPS with maximum res possible
60 FPS as above
120 FPS as above

let the speed dictate what resolution you get so to say.

Yes, basically this. Something like 1080p120, 1440p60, and 2160p30 for every single game minimum targets. Maybe some games you see 2160p60, or 1440p120, or even 4320p30, but let every single game give you choices on the framerate / resolution you want to play at, especially games with competitive multiplayer.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
IMO, this is not strange. If Xbox titles will focus on Jaguar compatibility, then they will easily have enough headroom on Zen2 to produce fast framerates.

Xbox One ports will run good on faster hardware. Gameply will (AI, physics, animation etc) remain the same on both generations so that all players will get same game (especially MP/coop) and that nobody will get too large advantage.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Part of the reason we don't see games over 60FPS on consoles is because TVs dont support it. Also this last gen of consoles had crappy CPU's.....Now though we are starting to see top end TV's supporting 4k/120 or variable FPS (FreeSync/Gsync) so I think this will become far more common to push those framerates up!

That does make a lot of sense, the CPU is a huge upgrade indeed. But I definitely expect that they can't maintain a 60fps framerate for games with huge detailed rich open worlds, little to no loading areas etc. And in that case I do hope they opt for visuals first. For example I can't see GTA VI being 60fps. That be crazy.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
ray tracing is gonna make that 60fps target hard to hit, but we will see.

That's why graphics and resolution options for next gen would be a good thing.

733lxw7y34y11.jpg

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
This has to happen! I've been playing Destiny 2 on PC at 144Hz with freesync and other games in Xbox like new COD at 60 and I can't stand to play D2 on Xbox at 30 it feels like the screen is flickering and gives me a headache now.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So.. when they wrote "8K" and paraded it front and center on their Series X chip , it was before or after they realised Framerate is in your face and more obvious of a difference to show folks a difference in games?

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So.. when they wrote "8K" and paraded it front and center on their Series X chip , it was before or after they realised Framerate is in your face and more obvious of a difference to show folks a difference in games?

In that sammeeee Project Scarlett reveal video they also talk about 120fps.. Just giving devs then option on how they feel is best to present their art. I think the majority of us prefer frame rate but it's not like Phil is making some sort of last-second pivot or anything like you're implying

EDIT: Also it will be neat to see what kind of late-gen games can find a way to take advantage of 8k..if there end up being any. I could see a Gears title pushing 8K 60fps.. also Forza

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
IMO, this is not strange. If Xbox titles will focus on Jaguar compatibility, then they will easily have enough headroom on Zen2 to produce fast framerates.

Xbox One ports will run good on faster hardware. Gameply will (AI, physics, animation etc) remain the same on both generations so that all players will get same game (especially MP/coop) and that nobody will get too large advantage.

What are you talking about? Xbox titles for the first 12 months at most you mean.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
1440p at 60+ FPS would be great for me. I have a hard time telling the difference from 1440 to 4K on my KS8000 TV. Anyways, we should at least be given the option in more games to choose lower res+60 vs more pretties+30 :)

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
What kind of graphical downgrade would need to happen for a 120hz version on the current Xbox One X?

I know that everyone is thinking about a Xbox Series X version with 120hz, but I'm curious if it could already be done on an Xbox One X with certain compromises?

Don't think it'd be possible on X1X, we're CPU bound and there's just not enough horsepower. XSX should do the trick and there's plenty of TVs now that can also do 120hz. I doubt that a ton of games will support 120hz on XSX (at least not big AAA releases), so we've been thinking about that feature.

May 18, 2018
Nice. I'll see how this pans out on the next Xbox. If 60fps option becomes the norm, I'll be purchasing one.

30 fps is bad - no matter how good the motion blur is ffs.

Sony. Please take note!

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Would anyone be interested in Ori and the Will of the Wisps in 120hz on Xbox?

I remember you discussing this in the XGS OT thread. Something about asking Microsoft to let you put out a 120fps patch for the XSX? Yes, I would be very interested in this.

Would love it if Phil or Booty came out and said all their XGS titles will be 60fps on the XSX. Framerates are why I switched to PC in the first place. Now that I'm ready to come back to the console land, it would be a big deal.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the Series X will be able to hit 4K/60 on a majority of titles. I just want to live in a world where 4K/60 is the norm and not 4K/30.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Shame Phil has no control over most developers, so I still expect 30fps games to be a thing.

Hopefully Series X and PS5 will have plenty of power though, so developers can hit 60fps while also delivering top quality graphics.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I remember you discussing this in the XGS OT thread. Something about asking Microsoft to let you put out a 120fps patch for the XSX? Yes, I would be very interested in this.

Would love it if Phil or Booty came out and said all their XGS titles will be 60fps on the XSX. Framerates are why I switched to PC in the first place. Now that I'm ready to come back to the console land, it would be a big deal.
Most of their first party already have implemented 60fps so I expect that to continue.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't think it'd be possible on X1X, we're CPU bound and there's just not enough horsepower. XSX should do the trick and there's plenty of TVs now that can also do 120hz. I doubt that a ton of games will support 120hz on XSX (at least not big AAA releases), so we've been thinking about that feature.

My 3700X is ready for 120fps on Windows.

Thanks for your work.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
not many xbox people will enjoy it on their 4k tv's that don't go above 60hz though...but 4k/60 is still good for a majority of people.
I waiting on those 300hz screens to release...

Agree on hz > rez

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
WIth games running on different Xbox models and with more power than PS5 on Xbox series X, framerate should be a big selling point of the console.