• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
No they won´t.
Their competitive titles will remain 60FPS, like basically any other competitive title in the market.
Will their other titles follow the route ? I don´t think so but who knows maybe I´m wrong.
Let´s not forget that Hellblade announcement was running in under 30 FPS ( and yes I know it´s just an announcement ).

I would be fine if that's the case. Racers are lovely at 60fps, no idea what it would be like if it's even higher, but for Playground's RPG I really want them to go all out with amazing visuals and if that means 30fps.....fine with me. I look at Witcher 3 and see a very smooth 30fps there. I don't know how they did it, but that 30fps looks more smooth than other games, it's interesting.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
So you didn't play Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War.

Sure, in shooters, fighting games, fast action games 60fps is required for good gameplay, but sometimes if the game is made well 30fps isn't bad or janky.

While I'd hope that all games are 60fps next gen, I don't expect it. I would hope that any 30fps games are made with the same care and quality as HZD and GoW where it's not negatively hurting the game.
So you didn't play God of War in performance mode (which almost never reached 60fps).

Because you would have known then that decreased latency actually increased performance in the game, especially for higher difficulties like Give Me God of War.

Perhaps you guys should just be more honest and say you don't care about responsiveness and prefer eye candy to high frame rates. Then we wouldn't have to have this same song and dance in every frame rate thread.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This feels desperately ironic given Microsoft's marketing around the Xbox One X but it's definitely the correct stance. Having said that there is a hell of a lot more to visuals than resolution or framerate so it's always a bit depressing to hear how much time is spent discussing them when compared to IQ, effects, art, and so on.
All those are affected by rez and framerate.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the right focus, but I'm hoping he means 60fps on XSX and not 60fps on XB1

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would I be wrong in thinking this suggests the competition has a console that can render more blades of grass?

Last edited:

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I don't get this line of thought, there will always be "default" settings but isn't the best world where you get to decide the balance? Or at least for the options to be there.
I look at games more as an art form than anything else I guess? I feel that creators having more control over their art is always better than not. I am also aware that this is an imperfect stance. Technology always marches forward and could reduce the need for resolution/graphics/framerate tradeoffs that were needed at development time.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
This feels desperately ironic given Microsoft's marketing around the Xbox One X but it's definitely the correct stance. Having said that there is a hell of a lot more to visuals than resolution or framerate so it's always a bit depressing to hear how much time is spent discussing them when compared to IQ, effects, art, and so on.

Explain why it's desperate. I don't get it. They were limited by the CPU last gen so of course they had to lean into resolution harder. Even still they moved a majority of their first party titles over to 60fps for the first time.

Personally 4k60 is the goal for me. I love the sharpness of 4K and the gameplay of 60fps. I hated that we had to trade off so much this gen.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see games like Halo Infinite being 30 fps / 1800p or something along those lines on an Xbox One X, and 60fps / Native 4K on an Xbox Series X.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. He's saying this because all games for the first year will be built for a base XB1. Once the base is the Series X watch a lot of games go back to a 30fps target.

It's a good tactic as I expect Sony's PS5 exclusives will be 30fps but look a generation ahead of some Xbox exclusives.

What? This makes no sense.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing 120hz 1080p on my B7 OLED and I can't for the life of me understand how anybody would settle for 4k/30 in any scenario. Hell, I prefer it over 4k/60 every single time.

Phil is right.

If nextgen consoles don't offer HFR performance options it's going to push me further towards PC-only.

Would anyone be interested in Ori and the Will of the Wisps in 120hz on Xbox?

Fuck yes.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just bought a 65" Q70 that can do 1080p and 1440p at 120hz. Please let me do this for as many games as possible next gen.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Well to be fair, if they really do focus on making games run from OG XB1 to XBSX, then "running the same game but at a higher frame rate" was going to be an obvious outcome for the XBSX versions.
100% this

He's not gonna come out and say their next games will be physics-driven as long the Xbox One is still in the picture, that's for sure

sambills

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Music to my fucking ears. The time for 60fps to be expected is going to arrive with these new consoles.

They never claimed that lots of games were going to be 8K. It's just 8K capable, and that will likely be only achieved by non demanding games.

Im just saying he pretty clearly put that out as a marketing tactic. seems like theyre playing both sides of the coin idk

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I'm in the same boat. If a game gives me the option of performance over graphical quality every time.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I would be fine if that's the case. Racers are lovely at 60fps, no idea what it would be like if it's even higher, but for Playground's RPG I really want them to go all out with amazing visuals and if that means 30fps.....fine with me. I look at Witcher 3 and see a very smooth 30fps there. I don't know how they did it, but that 30fps looks more smooth than other games, it's interesting.

I´m also fine with this philosphy.
30FPS and eye cand for SP experience.
Competitive and MP 60FPS.
The thing is : this is no different from what Sony and MS have pushed trough all this gen.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
didnt he just tweet out a picture implying xbox series x was 8K ready lmao
tenor.gif

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
The challenge with the quality/performance mode options that we have seen this gen is that neither choice is optimal and they really should have focused on one instead of giving players a choice.

Most performance options never hit a steady 60fps and usually float around 40-50fps which is definitely not smooth. Quality modes stick around 30fps but the difference is not that large over the performance mode.

MS has been great in pushing 60fps in all of their 1st party titles and I am going to assume that is going to carry over into next gen.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It feels a repeat of 2013. Everyone was saying 60 fps was going to be a standard. Reality most people don't give a shit outside these forums. People care about pretty graphics and 60 fps usually doesn't mix pretty graphics outside of a handful developers with insane technical teams behind them. People need to accept this, or otherwise be ready to be disappointed.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
They said they will go cross-gen and this will naturally result in higher fps versions for their next box.
And like his cpu statement a year ago they know how to frame this for their fanbase.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I´m also fine with this philosphy.
30FPS and eye cand for SP experience.
Competitive and MP 60FPS.
The thing is : this is no different from what Sony and MS have pushed trough all this gen.

Well, Gears 4 campaign was 30fps and when the X came they had options for either 30 or 60fps. Gears 5 fully embraced 60fps.

What remains to be seen if they are gonna do this with non FPS games as well. Truly hope not, I can imagine and hope PG wants to bring a amazing and detailed and lively game world with all the visual fidelity possible on the hardware.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
The right answer is always to create powerful tools and allow devs to do what they want and it looks like MS is doing that. Phil is the best.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, Halo/Gears/Forza etc are going to go back to 30fps (-‸ლ)
giphy.gif

These fanboy/girl narratives are so ridiculous.

Halo/Gears/Forza built for a 1.3tflop/Jaguar were 60fps. If the base specs they were targeting were a Series X and they decided to go all out on visuals then there's no reason (although unlikely for those particular franchises which I didn't name) that they couldn't be 30fps again.

Also Hellblade II is 30fps...

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
With an initial focus on cross gen this was obvious, a 30 FPS next gen game would be a huge undertaking to get running on a jaguar.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Also a fan of options. Let the user decide if they want more eye candy or better performance. Up to the developers themselves to decide what that ultimately means.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Might be an unpopular opinion on here, but I'm a graphics, scope and scale over framerate guy for most genres, so for me this isn't necessarily the best news. I preferred the days when Halo and Gears would target 30fps and blow the lid on visuals and scale.

That said, this might work out well for people who don't intend to buy a Series X at launch, since the SX could offer 60fps native 4K versions of titles, whilst the One X could target 4K cbr/variable/30fps and the One S 1080p variable/30fps instead, thus the graphical difference would be a little less notable than if the SX versions were targeting 30fps too, thanks to the big frame rate difference instead.

It could essentially be a bit like with Gears 5 on the One vs One X (variable 1080p/30fps vs variable 4K/60fps).