• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good guy Phil.

Not everyone has adopted 4K - and 30FPS is most certaintly a slideshow garbagefest.

60FPS should always take priority over resolution.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
They've been pushing for 60fps options with their 1st party games for awhile. Good on them for it too.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I prefer games that look and perform well. I also prefer that developers decide how they want to strike that balance. Not saying that every developer makes the right choice, but I like living in a world where they get to make that choice.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I prefer games that look and perform well. I also prefer that developers decide how they want to strike that balance. Not saying that every developer makes the right choice, but I like living in a world where they get to make that choice.

I don't get this line of thought, there will always be "default" settings but isn't the best world where you get to decide the balance? Or at least for the options to be there.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I greatly prefer resolution, all I ask is for the fps to be stable. 30, 60 idgaf, just no dips.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
weird that he focused so much on "True 4k" in the scorpio market then.

Not really. There wasn't an option to boost the CPU in a meaningful way that would actually support higher framerates across the board at the time of Project Scorpio. The next best option is how can they make the GPU and memory more developer friendly and powerful, which is what they did.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Oh lord :)

Phil 🙏

Perfect dark Reboot 60FPS

Fable Reboot 60FPS

Senua's Saga : Hellblade 2 60FPS

Everwild 60FPS

Halo Infinite 60FPS

Give me !!!

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
It's disappointing that someone at his level is perpetuating the false "resolution/framerate" dichotomy. What about AI, loading, physics, etc.? Sure, if the CPU just happens to be at 50% utilization, you could lower the resolution and raise the framerate. But if you're actually utilizing the CPU, lowering the resolution will do *nothing*. People need to understand it's not resolution vs framerate, you also need limit number of characters, physics, and everything else in the game that is using the CPU.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
60FPS across the board for next gen would be sweet, at least for MS' games.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer a good choice depending on the game.
Some games deserve more fps, some just more details.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
It easier to say that when you will have games on XB One... Of course those games will ended up being 60 FPS on Serie X...
But come back in 3 years Phil.
Well to be fair, if they really do focus on making games run from OG XB1 to XBSX, then "running the same game but at a higher frame rate" was going to be an obvious outcome for the XBSX versions.

This gen we've seen franchises that had been 30 fps on last and/or current gen pushed to 60 fps (Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon). I expect that to continue next gen as well, with more first party games being 60 fps on Series X. I think it's something Xbox is committed to given the numerous comments from Phil and others regarding framerate and CPU over the last 2 years.

I mean, you can tell that by looking at this gen. Halo, Forza and Gears all pushed framerate this gen and all released 60fps entries.
Yep.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Would love more devs to follow this as well, graphics are great already and of course I want them to continue getting better, but I want 60fps fluidity to a norm even more.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Higher frame rate I assume is important for game streaming. And obviously VR.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Resolution above 1440p is a waste 99.9% of this forum will not see a diff on a blind test.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
It's disappointing that someone at his level is perpetuating the false "resolution/framerate" dichotomy. What about AI, loading, physics, etc.? Sure, if the CPU just happens to be at 50% utilization, you could lower the resolution and raise the framerate. But if you're actually utilizing the CPU, lowering the resolution will do *nothing*.

Microsoft research already work on Next Gen AI.

No loading is the goal for Series X

Microsoft acquire Havok, don't worry about physics.

Oct 28, 2017
This is fine with me.

If you showed me a game at random I wouldn't be able to tell you if it was 1080, 1440, or 4K anyway. I also thing that the fluidity of 60FPS looks better in motion than the extra resolution (preaching to the choir).

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Give me frame rate over resolution 8 days a week. Give the photography mode folks a web browser and access to high quality images of the game.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a halfway admission to the PC crowd. Could also be crowing about superior tech, or the opposite.