• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, anyone who thinks they're going to publish on PlayStation is going to disappoint themselves.

Minecraft is one thing, it remains to be seen if that applies elsewhere.

You might get a native XCloud App on PS5.

Don't do this to yourself.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the idea is that anybody who hasn't been moved to join Xbox' ecosystem a couple of years after the release of a huge game like, say, Starfield, is probably not going to, so do you want to try and tap into that consumer in some way? Who knows. That's a decision they'll have to make a long time from now anyway so Its not like Phil has to have some hardline stance.
that same argument could be said for sony and nintendo too tho.

- anyone who hasn't been moved to join the sony ecosystem by now is probably never going to, so why not release god of war/spiderman/etc on other platforms.
- anyone who hasn't been moved to join the nintendo ecosystem by now is probably never going to, so why not release zelda/mario/etc on other platforms.

the same reason the above two aren't going to happen, applies to xbox as well. they want to make their platform more appealing for people. platform holders can afford to take the loss on the lost sales of not putting their games on other platforms when they get more people to join their platform and spend more money there (on 1st and 3rd party content).

at the end of the day, i think people are setting themselves up for disappointment. while they haven't come out and explicitly said what's going to happen, it's pretty obvious if you read between the lines.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the idea is that anybody who hasn't been moved to join Xbox' ecosystem a couple of years after the release of a huge game like, say, Starfield, is probably not going to, so do you want to try and tap into that consumer in some way? Who knows. That's a decision they'll have to make a long time from now anyway so Its not like Phil has to have some hardline stance.
Why? Perception. If people think all your games are going to multi-plat anyway they wont bother joining the ecosystem. Games going to other consoles affects gamepass numbers as well.

Also Phil has stated that he does not want people thinking all Xbox games will be on switch.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why should they? Is Sony supporting Xbox players by moneyhatting Final Fantasy VII Remake or Final Fantasy 16? Did Sony think about supporting other platforms by making sure Spider-man appears only on PS4/PS5?

MS bought Zenimax/Bethesda.

I for one can't wait for a future where every single third party publisher except fucking Activision has been bought by one company or another, carving the entire gaming sphere up like the shittiest Christmas goose possible. Truly the most pro-consumer of industries.

Because that's where we're heading. That's the future if people roll over and take this deal like it's a good thing.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft isn't interested in profit right now, they're interested in market share. The more people flock to Gamepass the more it will be the defacto gaming subscription the way Netflix is for tv/movies and Spotify is for music. Then the only way companies will be able to compete would be to launch their own platforms and do questionable business practices to inject their own products ahead of competitors.

Doesnt change the fact that they could have all the benefits of Bethesda exclusivity without buying Bethesda, by simply purchasing exclusive rights and saving Billions in the process.

While they might not be interested in profits (of course they are interested in profits!) they spent several billion dollars more than neccisary if all they wanted was Bethesda exclusives.

We've already seen how they use their first party to incentivize gamepass, whilst still publishing games on competing platforms. We've already seen XGS games launch on day one Gamepass, then come to Steam later. Some games launched on Steam on day one. We'll undoubtedly see the same dynamics with PS5 and Nintendo releases. Especially after spending $7.5 Billion - They'll want all the ROI they can get.

This would be a win-win for MS. Gamepass, with all XGS games including all Bethesda games for $10, will look extremely attractive compared to having to wait to spend $70 per unit on other platforms. Either way, MS is getting a customer.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why? Perception. If people think all your games are going to multi-plat anyway they wont bother joining the ecosystem. Games going to other consoles affects gamepass numbers as well.

Also Phil has stated that he does not want people thinking all Xbox games will be on switch.

That's true, again I said in another thread if you put a gun to my head or made me choose, I'd 100% say that these games are going to be Xbox Ecosystem exclusives going forward, but I also would not be surprised if MS at some point decided to make some of these titles multiplats sometime in the future. Like, it wouldn't shock me, not with all of the crazy stuff that's happened over the course of this past generation. I'm not completely ruling anything out at this point. Ultimately though, MS is going to do what is in the best interest of their business model and their GamePass focus, and there is an absolute possibility (and likelyhood) that could absolutely mean keeping these games to their own platforms. I definitely don't subscribe to the idea that MS needs to put these games on multiple platforms.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Xbox fans seem to think that permanent exclusivity is totally a fair exchange for a couple games being timed exclusive and I don't get it. Like Xbox owners would get those games eventually, they'd just have to wait.

PS owners get jack shit now. How do you not see how this is a worse situation?

At the same time people like to downplay Sony's role with the whole "it's only timed exclusive for a year" thing, by the time the year has passed those games are largely forgotten by most - people don't wait around, they pretty quickly move on to the next newest thing and Sony know that, they wouldn't spend huge amounts of money keeping games off other platforms if they knew it didn't have an effect. These companies are all doing the same thing to make their platforms look more attractive, it sucks for those not within their ecosystems and I can definitely say timed exclusives is the lesser of the 2 evils but the result is pretty much the same for the vast majority of people. (Obviously the timed exclusive stuff also relates to Xbox since they're doing the same thing)

As for the quote from Phil Spencer, I wouldn't hold out much hope for these games to be released on Playstation unless some miracle happens where GamePass is allowed on there, it pretty much reads as if they're going to be exclusive to the Xbox platform (be it Xbox, PC or xCloud) without actually saying it in those words.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation owners like myself have to accept the idea that bethesda games are now exclusive to xbox. It's possible we may get one or 2 but that's about it. If we want to play those games either play on PC or get Xbox.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, these games aren't coming to PlayStation anymore, besides the existing contracts and the service games like Fallout 76. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.

When these games are eventually announced as Xbox exclusives, they'll just say it's because PS5 doesn't support Game Pass.

Fortunately, we have a few years to get used to the idea.

Pretty much, though I'd think it is much more to do with selling the Xbox ecosystem as a whole, regardless of what device you choose to use to get there.
Sure you don't get Elder Scrolls VI and Starfield on PS5 ever, but the range of options to compete for a PS5 users becomes more interesting:

- You can get Xbox consoles at a variety of prices. Then get the game physical / digital / gamepass
- You could forgo the consoles entirely and go PC. Get the game digital / gamepass. Likely in future you can do these beyond just the Xbox / WIndows Store also if that's your preference.
- You can use mobile / Xbox consoles / PC / Web / TV apps to use xCloud.

Thinking about xCloud pricing. You can either go Gamepass Ultimate to get it that way. Potentially to compete with other cloud vendors like Amazon, they'll have a lower xCloud basic service, where you could have a lower sub fee, and could buy the games you want digitally - able to play them on any device in any way you prefer.
Regardless of what console anyone owns, there are reasonable options for MS to entice a customer to be part of the xbox ecosystem, without a high cost of entry.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Anyways, I don't understand why this topic keeps popping up every day since the acquisition.

You're not playing these games on platforms unless those platforms play ball with Microsoft or had previously made deals with Zenimax

Elder scrolls 6 will not be on PS5 until Sony plays ball with Xbox. This is Microsofts biggest franchise now, followed by Fallout and then Halo

Microsoft spent 8 billion to keep these games away from Luna, Stadia, and Playstation. Unless they give Microsoft a foot in the door, it's gonna stay that way.
That's gonna be the case by case basis he keeps talking about.

You're gonna play these things on your PC, your Xbox, Your Samsung, your Android, maybe even your Nintendo.
Same with Obsidian and Inxile and every one else they've been gobbling up, right? Do we need a topic asking about those companies every day too? Yeah nope.

Better Microsoft than Amazon or Google I guess. That's what we said with Fox and Disney vs Comcast too tho.

And no, this isn't because of Spiderman lol

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I keep finding it funny that it's always MS the one that absolutely "can't" ignore not putting their games on a competitor's platform.

They are Bethesda's games though, with a proven history of selling well on PS platforms, I think its a different scenario than building an IP from the ground up for a specific platform. Why not take Minecraft off the PS? Because they spent alot acquiring it and want to make money off it, why spend 7.5 billion to give away those games on Gamepass? either way Gamepass is going to get a boost, as well as making money from other platforms like Steam, PS, and an updated Switch.

Not saying its going to happen, but its a possibility.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I for one can't wait for a future where every single third party publisher except fucking Activision has been bought by one company or another, carving the entire gaming sphere up like the shittiest Christmas goose possible. Truly the most pro-consumer of industries.

Because that's where we're heading. That's the future if people roll over and take this deal like it's a good thing.

Did you keep this same energy when Sony was buying up timed exclusives on major 3rd party titles? With the clear intent to keep them off of competing platforms? Even Starfield? All in the name of #4ThePlayers?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Did you keep this same energy when Sony was buying up timed exclusives on major 3rd party titles? With the clear intent to keep them off of competing platforms? Even Starfield? All in the name of #4ThePlayers?

Timed exclusives are shit too. They don't benefit anyone. My stance is clear: additive expansion is good, subtractive expansion is garbage.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
People are still in the denial phase, huh? There is no way non-online zenimax games will come to playstation from now on (after the contractual obligations are satisfied ofc).

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They are Bethesda's games though, with a proven history of selling well on PS platforms, I think its a different scenario than building an IP from the ground up for a specific platform. Why not take Minecraft off the PS? Because they spent alot acquiring it and want to make money off it, why spend 7.5 billion to give away those games on Gamepass? either way Gamepass is going to get a boost, as well as making money from other platforms like Steam, PS, and an updated Switch.

Not saying its going to happen, but its a possibility.

The biggest difference, I think, is that Minecraft was a Microsoft purchase, not an Xbox one. They weren't buying a game, they were buying a multimedia franchise, and the best way maintain and increase the value of Minecraft as a franchise where you want to sell people books and pajamas and bed sheets and toys, is to put it on every platform under the sun. MS' purchase of Bethesda/Zenimax was 100% an Xbox GamePass play. Its meant to increase the content and, thus, value of GamePass as a product/service and business model. Do you do this buy putting these games on other platforms?

The closer analogs to MS' purchase of Minecraft are things like Disney buying Marvel and Lucasfilm. They weren't just buying a video game or a video game company.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox fans seem to think that permanent exclusivity is totally a fair exchange for a couple games being timed exclusive and I don't get it. Like Xbox owners would get those games eventually, they'd just have to wait.

It's a worse situation no question but it's no fun getting a game a year later when everyone else has moved on from it.

Nov 2, 2019
Also, comparing this to PlayStations timed exclusives is apples to oranges.

Microsoft buying a studio means they own the studio, they own the IP, and they're publishing the game. There should be no confusion about the game's release on other consoles.

Timed exclusives from third parties are entirely different. Sony does not own Final Fantasy. Sony does not own Square, and Sony is not publishing their games. In the end it leaves people with a ton of confusion. How long is the exclusivity? Does "exclusive" mean console only or PC too? Is there a possibility that it could be released on another console? That's The confusion buying timed exclusivity creates. MS is just as guilty of this. If a game is going to be exclusive, then it needs to be exclusive for the life of the platform IMO. None of this double speak and NDAs and "we cannot comment at this time" or "we have no current plans" bullshit.

Exclusives make each platform unique. That's why MS bought Zenimax. Those iconic IP will only ever exist on their platforms (Xbox, Windows, and xCloud). Period.

Sorry for the rant. I may be a tad irritable today haha

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I keep finding it funny that it's always MS the one that absolutely "can't" ignore not putting their games on a competitor's platform.
Lol exactly. The reason that MS "can't ignore" the other platforms is because they're last in the market due to underwhelming exclusives to attract people to their console. Continuing to release their titles onto PS will only maintain that status quo, which is obviously not what MS wants to do. An assortment of Bethesda exclusives can reverse those trends, which makes it easier for MS to ignore the other platforms and harder for PS to secure timed exclusives.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
What is with people saying that this response is half-handed or vague? It's really clear that these games are going to be exclusive to XBOX/PC. I mean really...it's like people are using their disappointment that these games aren't going to be on PlayStation against Microsoft's own words.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
And those games will sell considerably lower than the previous versions from this gen. So they'll be leaving money on the table.

Here's what you're missing. When Microsoft sells one of those games on another platform, they only make money from that sale. When you make them exclusive and people have to buy your console to play them, then you not only make money from that sale, but from also all the other things that person how buys on that platform too since Microsoft collects a license fee for the game and a transaction fee on digital sales. Having them exclusive means they make more money in aggregate from that consumer than they do by selling an additional copy of the game.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

No it's not. People leave and start their own studios. Hell we saw this gen the rise of THQ Nordic as a new publishing force (troubling messaging aside)

it's not the apocalyptic catastrophe that people are making it out to be

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Phil could have ended this discussion with a single yes or no, he didn't.

Even if Phil and MS' plan is 100% on keeping this games off competing platforms, I don't think there is any real reason to say it now. The deal hasn't even officially closed yet. The real shockwaves from this aren't going to come until we start to see more of the next ES, or Starfield, Doom, ect...and that could be a year or more from now, that is when the messaging if these are true exclusives is going to really resonate with consumers. For now there's not real reason to paint yourself into any corner. I think they are playing it smart.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No it's not. People leave and start their own studios. Hell we saw this gen the rise of THQ Nordic as a new publishing force (troubling messaging aside)

it's not the apocalyptic catastrophe that people are making it out to be

The last thing I'm looking forward to is companies like Square Enix and Capcom being bought out and then a couple of random guys from those teams running off to start their own companies making pale, zero-budget imitations of what they were developing before.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

I think it's important to clarify what "exclusivity" means in the context of Microsoft first party games. For Nintendo or Sony, that means you need to buy their console and can only play the games on their console.

For Microsoft, you can play on Xbox consoles, PC, or mobile phones. The fact that someone doesn't even need a gaming PC or Xbox, and can literally just pull out their Android phone (and eventually iPhone) and play these first party games on day one is incredible. That's such a large swath of devices, and it's hard to fault Microsoft for keeping their own titles "exclusive" when in reality they're giving people so many options as to how they want to play these games.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's a worse situation no question but it's no fun getting a game a year later when everyone else has moved on from it.

I dunno. If Microsoft had bought up Bethesda timed exclusivity in perpetuity, I'd feel a bit happier about all this knowing I could play those games eventually. As it is, I'm going to have to get used to the idea that I'll probably never play them now.

It sucks, but it's happened now so it is what it is.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox would have had all/almost all of the games from Zenimax studios and cost them $0 for it to happen.

Instead, they paid a huge amount of money to remove those games as an option for Playstation owners.

This guy is so full of shit and it has proven over and over.

Why don't you post the actual context of that interview and not cherry pick things.

Phil Spencer and Microsoft have a clear vision for the future of the video game industry, and it's quite a bit different from the one envisioned by Sony. In a new interview with GamesIndustry.biz, the Xbox boss discussed the major difference between the two companies heading into the next console generation. While the PlayStation brand seems to be focusing solely ahead, the Xbox brand is still very much entrenched in the present, with plans to continue supporting the Xbox One in addition to the Xbox Series X thanks to cross-gen support. It's a radical approach to a new console generation, but Spencer seems to view it as something that will benefit the video game community as a whole.

"Gaming is about entertainment and community and diversion and learning new stories and new perspectives, and I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy my device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about," Spencer said to GamesIndustry.biz.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Preach.
I'm always against timed exclusitivy since I, as a PS consumer, don't gain NOTHING, the Bethesda acquisition is cool regards Gamepass?
Of course, but the exchange for this to happen is not worth It lol

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
The last thing I'm looking forward to is companies like Square Enix and Capcom being bought out and then a couple of random guys from those teams running off to start their own companies making pale, zero-budget imitations of what they were developing before.

You know it takes two sides to sign a deal right? MS didn't storm into Zenimax by force, held a gun to their head, and demanded they become acquired. Lol.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
If all their new acquisitions wasn't exclusive to Xbox, then they could've moneyhatted for significantly less than 7.5 billion to be on Xbox. Anyone who thinks this isn't exclusive to Xbox is delusional

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's important to clarify what "exclusivity" means in the context of Microsoft first party games. For Nintendo or Sony, that means you need to buy their console and can only play the games on their console.

For Microsoft, you can play on Xbox consoles, PC, or mobile phones. The fact that someone doesn't even need a gaming PC or Xbox, and can literally just pull out their Android phone (and eventually iPhone) and play these first party games on day one is incredible. That's such a large swath of devices, and it's hard to fault Microsoft for keeping their own titles "exclusive" when in reality they're giving people so many options to play those games.

No console gamer is going to take "you can totally pay a subscription fee to play this 100-hour RPG on your tiny Android phone screen" as an alternative.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
People really need to stop looking for the vain hope that this stuff is coming to PS5. It's done.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
But then if he did come out and say "Bethesda games will be exclusive to Xbox and Windows forever" and then they release a Fallout Shelter type game on mobile and Switch people would call him a liar. It's clear what case by case means.
Even if Phil and MS' plan is 100% on keeping this games off competing platforms, I don't think there is any real reason to say it now. The deal hasn't even officially closed yet. The real shockwaves from this aren't going to come until we start to see more of the next ES, or Starfield, Doom, ect...and that could be a year or more from now, that is when the messaging if these are true exclusives is going to really resonate with consumers. For now there's not real reason to paint yourself into any corner. I think they are playing it smart.

Didn't stop them before with all the other acqusitions, it was very plainly communicated about what was happening with Turn 10, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, etc.

This wasn't a sneaky announcement, people understand the implications of a first party acquisition, the fact that they haven't answered this question means they either aren't sure about what they'll do, or they don't think an honest answer would be beneficial for their upcoming hardware thats about to go on sale.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
MS would be crazy to put these franchises on PlayStation. If there is another Elder Scrolls online game, I could see it, but if want people to truly buy into Xbox they need exclusives to stay exclusive outside of PC

Mar 7, 2020
Canada
It's quite amusing watching the "case by case" interpretation but to me it seems kind of obvious...

Case #1: Starfield

Other Platforms: "We'd like one 'Starfield', please."
Microsoft: "Cool, cool... here's one GamePass for your platform"
Other Platforms: "No, we want a 'Starfield'."
Microsoft: "Right, right... here's a 'Starfield' for your platform and an Xbox Live login for your users... AND we'll take that 30% of the sale."
Other Platforms: "No, no... we just want the 'Starfield without the Microsoft add-ons!"
Microsoft: "Case closed... next!"

Repeat for Case #2: Elder Scroll VI
Repeat for Case #3: Fallout 5
Repeat for Case #4: Doom 3

... etc., etc., etc. ad infinitum until the other platforms relent or adapt without the IPs.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I consulted my Magic 8-Ball regarding future Bethesda games on PS5, and it told me "My sources say no, unless Sony is crazy enough to allow Game Pass on PS5."

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't stop them before with all the other acqusitions, it was very plainly communicated about what was happening with Turn 10, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, etc.

This wasn't a sneaky announcement, people understand the implications of a first party acquisition, the fact that they haven't answered this question means they either aren't sure about what they'll do, or they don't think an honest answer would be beneficial for their upcoming hardware thats about to go on sale.

Just because something was one way one time, doesn't mean it has to be that way all of the time. I would not read too much into anything being said in the days following the announcement of a $7.5 billion dollar acquisition, and it would not surprise me at all if they were treating this a little differently and maybe keeping things a little closer to the vest than when they announced they purchased Ninja Theory and Double Fine. Complete and total transparency is not always the best marketing tactic.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
At the same time people like to downplay Sony's role with the whole "it's only timed exclusive for a year" thing, by the time the year has passed those games are largely forgotten by most - people don't wait around, they pretty quickly move on to the next newest thing and Sony know that, they wouldn't spend huge amounts of money keeping games off other platforms if they knew it didn't have an effect. These companies are all doing the same thing to make their platforms look more attractive, it sucks for those not within their ecosystems and I can definitely say timed exclusives is the lesser of the 2 evils but the result is pretty much the same for the vast majority of people. (Obviously the timed exclusive stuff also relates to Xbox since they're doing the same thing)
Obviously that's not true at all otherwise publishers wouldn't launch their games on other platforms after exclusivity ends. Only enthusiasts stop caring about "old stuff" and those are the ones time exclusivity targets (to sell consoles).

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
TES, Fallout, Starfield, DOOM, and anything else big is guaranteed to be Xbox exclusive. I'd bet anything on that.