• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
MS has what, over 20 1st party studios now ? And people are expecting just the zenimax ones to come to PS. I mean , think about that haha .

data

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox fans seem to think that permanent exclusivity is totally a fair exchange for a couple games being timed exclusive and I don't get it. Like Xbox owners would get those games eventually, they'd just have to wait.

PS owners get jack shit now. How do you not see how this is a worse situation?
That's not true.

We don't know if it's truly exclusive or even timed exclusive yet. We do know that Deathloop + Ghostwire Tokyo are still timed exclusive.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Fallout 76 will remain multiplat. All new upcoming games will be exclusive. MS did no spend that sort of money to allow system sellers like TES 6 to launch on a PlayStation. Anyone believing otherwise is naive in the extreme.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If these future games are coming to PS5, it will absolutely not be on day one. TESVI, Fallout, Starfield are legitimate system sellers, guys.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Most people aren't going to acknowledge the fact that a few months ago this goof said exclusives are counter to what gaming is about so you're wasting you're time posting this.
I'm sure they would love to port all first party content to Playstation if Sony allowed Gamepass on their devices.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's not true.

We don't know if it's truly exclusive or even timed exclusive yet. We do know that Deathloop + Ghostwire Tokyo are still timed exclusive.

Come on, we all know better than that. if they had any plans to support Playstation owners in any way they would come out and say it.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most people aren't going to acknowledge the fact that a few months ago this goof said exclusives are counter to what gaming is about so you're wasting you're time posting this.

Next Gen Xbox Games: PC, Xbox, Mobile, some Switch
Next Gen PS5 Games: PS5

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Sounds like a nice way of saying they want them to be exclusives.

And to be fair, that only makes sense.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
You'll most likely to play first-party on a PC, Android or iOS device via xCloud once that's fully launched. But I understand that because it's not on a PS5, you feel like you're the victim here.
You see .. that would be correct if I didn't own a good gaming PC as well as a Playstation 4 and soon 5. I don't even like the types of games these studios typically put out.

This affects me zero. What drives me nuts is all the double standards and lies people keep pushing out and that Phil is just as bad.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, we all know better than that. if they had any plans to support Playstation owners in any way they would come out and say it.
Doubt they will say it. It would just not convince people on the fence from buying an X console.

It could be timed exclusive for 5 years for all we know. Would that still be fine for "timed exclusive is better than permanent exclusive"?

What I'm trying to say is both sucks and the fact that it's confirmed that it was done to two games is already frustrating.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I can see games coming to the Switch, that would be your opportunity to double dip/get a more casual/mobile fanbase. Its not going to be a direct competition in regards to system specs for that full experience.

Oct 28, 2017
Of course they are. They want to avoid the backlash and get people used to the idea.

Plus Microsoft can frame exclusivity in a way at that time where it's not their fault. Part of their whole brand now is Good Guy Phil. Committing to these games being exclusive now would ruin that brand.

"We wanted to release that game on Gamepass on the PS5 like we have on the Xbox but Sony said no to Gamepass. Sorry guys we tried to get PS5 users the same option we think all gamers should have with Gamepass" says Good Guy Phil.

It's the playbook they have been using for years and it works like a charm in a market where the users are very engaged with the business side of the industry.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Because Microsoft is a corporation that wants to make money? It's extraordinary simple, and I don't mean to sound reductionist — but money is what makes these companies keep the lights on, not bragging rights.

If you can see your product to a larger audience, you make more money. Now whether that means timed exclusives (say for the sake of argument, 1 year) or day 1 cross platform releases it really doesn't matter. Point is, Microsoft has demonstrated time and again their market strategy is different than Sony or Nintendo and they don't put a lot of value on platform exclusivity, and just because they now own a ton of great IP, it doesn't mean their strategy will change.
They do put a ton of emphasis on platform exclusivity though. There isn't a single large AAA title published by Microsoft that has been released on Switch or Playstation.

And yes, Microsoft wants to make money. But they clearly are playing the long game here. You can get three years of Gamepass for $3. They are fine with operating at a loss now in order to make a ton of money years from now.

They want to sell Xbox consoles and Gamepass subscriptions. That doesn't happen by releasing massive system selling titles on competing platforms.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Xbox fans seem to think that permanent exclusivity is totally a fair exchange for a couple games being timed exclusive and I don't get it. Like Xbox owners would get those games eventually, they'd just have to wait.

Honestly I would take the timed exclusive bs if it meant I got to play a game eventually 🤷🏼‍♂️

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

People need to make choices come next gen. Isn't that how it always goes? Can't have it all unfortunately, I wish we could. I'd like to play 2019 God of War, and you know people tell me to buy a Playstation then. Well I don't wanna cause I play on PC, so you don't hear me complaining (fingers crossed for a PC port though). I'd be overjoyed if games were platform agnostic (as long as the hardware can run it). But people keep telling me that we NEED exclusives, because nobody would buy consoles otherwise or some stupid shit.

Maybe more people start to realize that multiplatform is the way to go for games, exclusivity doesn't benefit us.

Last edited:

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
Phil and Xbox know this will convert plenty of ppl to the Xbox ecosystem, but plenty will not be converted. For those users without an Xbox/PC he almost certainly plans to offer xCloud as a viable option imo. Keeps them in the Xbox ecosystem and is a very cheap way to get the games you want.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I'm pretty sure Apple Music is on android.
Uhh yea! 😆 and next year Sony will be publishing MLB on Xbox and Sony uses MS servers..
He wants to let his fans eat.

There will be a point where getting games free (sorta) on Xbox and a paid version elsewhere will make sense. Near future, probably not, because they want the lions share of whatever game on Xbox. Day and date with PS will only lose them money as games will sell more on PS, right now.

They could also create their own timed exclusive deals; one/two year on GP and then release it on PS. But I wouldn't expect anything soon, this was about building their ecosystem up.

"But as the Xbox community, what they should feel this is a huge investment in the experiences they are gonna have in the xbox ecosystem. And we want the xbox ecosystem absolutely the best place to play and we think game availability is absolutely part of that."
There's nothing even vague about this lmao. You want to play these games, get an xbox, PC or stream it through game pass.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could see PS5 ports of the big titles a few years later. Full price, $70 entries one to two years after release would surely be lucrative, no? And having that exclusivity for over a year would still get people to enter into the ecosystem early.

...or they just stay exclusive, who knows.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would build a pc or buy Xbox if you want future single player Bethesda RPGs.

Maybe Sony will trade Spiderman and God of War for Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6. :P

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Because Microsoft is a corporation that wants to make money? It's extraordinary simple, and I don't mean to sound reductionist — but money is what makes these companies keep the lights on, not bragging rights.

If you can see your product to a larger audience, you make more money. Now whether that means timed exclusives (say for the sake of argument, 1 year) or day 1 cross platform releases it really doesn't matter. Point is, Microsoft has demonstrated time and again their market strategy is different than Sony or Nintendo and they don't put a lot of value on platform exclusivity, and just because they now own a ton of great IP, it doesn't mean their strategy will change.
Again, they have yet to bring a single game from a first party studio to a non ms platform, that hasn't been specifically Announced for another platform pre acquisition. I think people are somehow missing that.

And yes thus is about money, though let's be reasonable here even if they sell combined 50 million copies of the heavy hitters on Playstation with an average cut (counting in sales) of about 10$, that's "only" .5 billion. They just spent 7.5 billion, this is not just for multiplatform publishing rights. The quicker people come to terms with that the better. The 500 million are no change, though they are small fries in the grand scheme of things

data

Oct 25, 2017
So how can anyone play Zenimax games now without

You see .. that would be correct if I didn't own a good gaming PC as well as a Playstation 4 and soon 5. I don't even like the types of games these studios typically put out.

This affects me zero. What drives me nuts is all the double standards and lies people keep pushing out and that Phil is just as bad.
Then what about the timed exclusivity for Deathloop + Ghostwire Tokyo for Xbox Owners?

If the Zenimax games do come out with timed exclusivity of 5 years would that still be fine to be able to still play the games on those consoles even if it's 5 years down the line?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, these games aren't coming to PlayStation anymore, besides the existing contracts and the service games like Fallout 76. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.

When these games are eventually announced as Xbox exclusives, they'll just say it's because PS5 doesn't support Game Pass.

Fortunately, we have a few years to get used to the idea.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
imagine being deluded enough to believe microsoft would spend 7.5 billion dollars only to maintain the status quo of releasing future megahits like starfield and TESVI on sony's consoles

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
So how can anyone play Zenimax games now without

So you're arguing in bad faith.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
I could see PS5 ports of the big titles a few years later. Full price, $70 entries one to two years after release would surely be lucrative, no? And having that exclusivity for over a year would still get people to enter into the ecosystem early.

Maybe they release Starfield 1 a year or 2 before Starfield 2 is ready kinda like what Sony did regarding Horizon. Same with TES and Fallout

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
"But as the Xbox community, what they should feel this is a huge investment in the experiences they are gonna have in the Xbox ecosystem. "

All you need to know

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Even if that happens, which may be doubtful, I don't think you'll ever get anything like a "also available on other platforms in 1 year" type of heads up.

It'll be entirely up to MS how they want to do that. 14 months? 16 months? 24 months? 30 months? Planning for 36 months, but decide to change your mind? They will probably withhold games for as long as they provide a large benefit to the XBox brand, they're under no obligation to adhere to some kind of "well you know 1 year is the standard exclusivity window, you should probably stick to that to be nice" type of thing.

So that will be another thing, Playstation users will likely always feel like they're in the dark with stuff like that.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone having trouble reading between the lines, just answer one question for me:

Why would the company
that has been criticized throughout the entire last generation
for their lack of exclusives
spend 7.5 billion dollars
(nearly twice as much as what Disney paid for Star Wars)
to own some of the most beloved IPs in gaming, along with their incredibly talented developers
and then continue to release games in those IPs on competing platforms
when they want you to buy an Xbox Series S, an Xbox Series X, or a PC
when the platform they competed with most directly last generation
demolished them in units sold
practically solely on the basis that they had incredibly compelling exclusive games that were not available anywhere else
?

Go on, I'll wait.

This reads like E. E. Cummings, lol.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they release Starfield 1 a year or 2 before Starfield 2 is ready kinda like what Sony did regarding Horizon. Same with TES and Fallout
Could definitely see that happening. Will be very interesting to see how this ends up playing out. I think exclusivity throughout is still the odds-on favorite for sure, but these other approaches are possible as well.

Even if that happens, which may be doubtful, I don't think you'll ever get anything like a "also available on other platforms in 1 year" type of heads up.

It'll be entirely up to MS how they want to do that. 14 months? 16 months? 24 months? 30 months? They will probably withhold games for as long as they provide a large benefit to the XBox brand, they're under no obligation to adhere to some kind of "well you know 1 year is the standard exclusivity window, you should probably stick to that to be nice" type of thing.

So that will be another thing, Playstation users will likely always feel like they're in the dark with stuff like that.
Oh, without a doubt. It would need to practically be a shadow drop.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could see PS5 ports of the big titles a few years later. Full price, $70 entries one to two years after release would surely be lucrative, no? And having that exclusivity for over a year would get people to enter into the ecosystem early.

Ports make no sense, the little bit of revenue MS would make from PS sales does not compare to the money they would make from getting that customer into the ecosystem. Console + yearly gamepass + third party license fees > 45% publisher cut per share from Sony version.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I think Phil is keeping it open and seeing what happens, if you need to make a return on a 7.5 billion investment it would be hard to ignore 80 million PS5's.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
It's not happening. Deal with it.

It makes no sense to make a purchase this large to sell other company's consoles.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Ports make no sense, the little bit of revenue MS would make from PS sales does not compare to the money they would make from getting that customer into the ecosystem. Console + yearly gamepass + third party license fees > 45% publisher cut per share from Sony version.

I think the idea is that anybody who hasn't been moved to join Xbox' ecosystem a couple of years after the release of a huge game like, say, Starfield, is probably not going to, so do you want to try and tap into that consumer in some way? Who knows. That's a decision they'll have to make a long time from now anyway so Its not like Phil has to have some hardline stance.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

Because they didn't pay for timed exclusivity of 3rd Party games. They bought the whole damn publisher. They're not timed exclusives. Every single one of those studios, every single game they make, are all literally bought and paid for Microsoft/Xbox 1st Party studios now. That's it. It's already done. Just get over it.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it comes down to the raw dollars and cents here. Like I said above, while I think this port approach is a possibility, these games just staying exclusive to Xbox/PC is still very much the likely scenario.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
This "Microsoft doesn't even THINK about Playstation" mindset is hilarious. Microsoft absolutely gives a shit about depriving games from Sony players, otherwise they would just tell PS fans not to worry the way they did when they bought Minecraft.

The fact they're being cagey at all proves they have no plans to support Playstation owners in any way.

Why should they? Is Sony supporting Xbox players by moneyhatting Final Fantasy VII Remake or Final Fantasy 16? Did Sony think about supporting other platforms by making sure Spider-man appears only on PS4/PS5?

MS bought Zenimax/Bethesda.

Nov 2, 2019
People who think Starfield, and the next Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, Evil Within, Fallout, Rage, Prey, Quake, or any other Zenimax IP will appear on the PS5 just need to rip that band-aid off right now. Yeah, it sucks if that's your only console and love those games but it's best to get the disappointment over with now.

If Sony bought Bethesda no one would expect their games to appear on Xbox, Switch, or even PC. Just like I would never expect a Sunset Overdrive 2 (if it was ever made) to come to Xbox. It is what it is.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I think Phil is keeping it open and seeing what happens, if you need to make a return on a 7.5 billion investment it would be hard to ignore 80 million PS5's.

I keep finding it funny that it's always MS the one that absolutely "can't" ignore not putting their games on a competitor's platform.