• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
Phil has been saying this for years and he couldn't bother to throw money at one of the many legacy Japanese devs who went freelance? Those devs are begging people to support their kickstarters. They want money and freedom. Microsoft isn't willing to do any of that?

How about big Japanese devs like Square enix? Where's FFXIV? Why not moneyhat your way into a showcase of FFVII remake on next gen? It's definitely gonna be coming so why not get first dips with a simple teaser? Stuff like this sticks into the minds of people. It's looking more and more like MS really doesn't crave that Japanese support, and I hope they'd stop pretending otherwise.

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
The fact that they got Dragon Quest on Xbox is insane, probably moreso than Persona 4 coming to steam last month imo. DQ always seemed like something that would never hit Xbox due to the system not selling very well in Japan, Square always focused on putting it on the system with the most users there. People can talk crap about Phil Spencer all they want, but something like Dragon Quest on Xbox would have never happened without him, and it's something that I can understand him being proud of getting.

Getting a 2 year old JRPG that has been released on PS4, Switch and the PC is "insane"? That seems like a slight exaggeration maybe...

Oct 28, 2017
Phil has been saying this for years and he couldn't bother to throw money at one of the many legacy Japanese devs who went freelance? Those devs are begging people to support their kickstarters. They want money and freedom. Microsoft isn't willing to do any of that?

How about big Japanese devs like Square enix? Where's FFXIV? Why not moneyhat your way into a showcase of FFVII remake on next gen? It's definitely gonna be coming so why not get first dips with a simple teaser? Stuff like this sticks into the minds of people. It's looking more and more like MS really doesn't crave that Japanese support, and I hope they'd stop pretending otherwise.

They've just shown three major Japanese games coming with some form of exclusivity to Xbox. What more can you realistically want?

Id be surprised if they didn't at least consider buying a Japanese developer. However, there are myriad reasons why that might not have worked out.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Getting a 2 year old JRPG that has been released on PS4, Switch and the PC is "insane"? That seems like a slight exaggeration maybe...
I don't see how it's an exaggeration. Xbox never had a solid footing in Japan, while the Dragon Quest devs seemingly didn't want to put DQ games before 11 on platforms that aren't leading in that market. For example, that's why Dragon Quest 9 was on DS, not PS3. I personally never thought we would see a Dragon Quest game ever come to Xbox.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Believing Phil Spencer in 2020. It's like discovering Santa isn't real for many of you. Granted his defence force is strong.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-23_at_4.34.18_PM.png

3182959-3273406776-belie.gif

but but but he's sooo transparent and so good to gamerzzz!!

RedEther

Jan 7, 2018
Damn to think I was somewhat excited for this event. No fighting games from either conference which was expected but still disappointing nonetheless.

What a letdown

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Don't worry guys, I'm sure Phil Spencer will do an interview about how he's more excited for what they didn't show.

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
The cult of personality surrounding Phil Spencer has always been super weird. He's just a hype man. Full of promises, but rarely ever actually delivers.
100% agree with this, he does hype stuff often and most of the time he fails to deliver, yet alot of people somehow see him as this super nice person who actually cares about them. This "cult of personality" surrounding him is very odd, wonder how many times he has to hype stuff that then either doesn't happen or is nowhere as big as he makes it out to be before people stop believing him.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
fortunately i didn't buy this for a second. i think it's because he led with ' At E3, we've always had a good strong showing of Japanese created games '. now i don't remember every E3, but Japanese created games and Xbox have never gone in hand.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
fortunately i didn't buy this for a second. i think it's because he led with ' At E3, we've always had a good strong showing of Japanese created games '. now i don't remember every E3, but Japanese created games and Xbox have never gone in hand.

Their past few E3 showings have delivered on that front. DMC5, Sekiro, Tales of Arise, DB Fighterz, Tales of Vesperia DE, JUMP Force, Kakarot, Elden Ring...all of these were revealed at Xbox E3 press briefings. Then stuff like Scarlett Nexus more recently.

Not hard to believe that they would continue that trend but these are unprecedented times.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I was really hoping he could've pulled off some 360 era exclusives like blue dragon, lost odyssey, NG2, Tales of vesperia or hell even eternal sonata.

Like throw some money at gooch and itagaki, they're not doing much.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
First time DQ on xbox is insane, until you realize nobody who is a dedicated xbox owner cares about DQ.

Yooooo.... There's at least a few dozen of us, but what's that matter? I played DQ on NES when it first launched, and had several other options to play it, but it's great to see it on XBOX finally after all these years. Super happy this game can be experienced by so many and via GamePass. That's a win, and frankly, something Phil delivered.

There are a ton more JP games that need to come over, but few are as big as DQ.

valentine71

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I believe they might be hiding some bigger stuff for later since Sony is going to have another show. But still, i am happy with the DQ11 on Xbox.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
My MS funded Ninja Gaiden Reboot/Remake dream is broken.
I'm not sure why Team Ninja (and others) need to remind people that Ninja Gaiden isn't getting worked on (or even announced) until they've completely finished Nioh 2, as this is the same internal team.
Wait until next year at least.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
The problem MS have is that most fans of Japanese games are already firmly entrenched on either PlayStation or Nintendo. Money-hatting a few Japanese exclusives wouldn't do a thing to change that, so why should they really bother? They'll play lip-service to the idea to keep fanboys happy and maybe do enough to stop curious people from switching away from Xbox (similarly to how Sony do 'just' enough with PS Now to stop people switching to Gamepass but never enough to really effect their own game sales), but they aren't going to go all-in because it's probably not gonna work and they'd rather spend their limited budget elsewhere where they'd get a better return.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
In terms of Japanese exclusive games, MS are never getting back to where they were with the 360. The Xbox is also-ran in Japan, late-ports and third party releases from Namco and Capcom are about the size of it. Each and every year, it's the same stuff, Phil's trip to Japan, then boom Namco Bandai reveal Jump Force or something.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They had Dragon Quest XI S, PSO2 New Genesis (timed console exclusive), Tetris Effect Connected (timed console exclusive) and Balan's Wonderworld. Last showing also had Scarlet Nexus and Yakuza 7 (nextgen console exclusive, later revealed timed).

Sony's show for 3rd party had RE Village, Pragmata, Project Athlia (timed exclusive) and Ghostwire: Tokyo (console exclusive).

As someone who plays primarily Japanese games I can't say either has yet proved there's much need to buy a XSX or a PS5.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Feel they fell short again with this. They've never got Japan right.

To be fair to them, there really isn't a big home console market in Japan at the moment. The Switch doing crazy numbers as a hybrid console and the PS4 has been limping along for years despite having most big third party games, I don't see a big market for the Xbox brand there. As such it's tough for them to get big Japanese games if it's going to limit their selling power in Japan. Games are becoming more and more global though so perhaps this will change even more this gen.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think MS care about the Japanese market so much as the Weeb market in the West and to that end I don't think they care so much about that. That being said they should probably sign some deals or buy up a dev (even tho it hasn't worked out for them in the past) just for the lols and so Phil can have less egg on his face in future. Nothing against Phil, I would take his Job in a heartbeat and I think he's fine at what he does but they have always lacked in this area needlessly IMO.

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I was really hoping he could've pulled off some 360 era exclusives like blue dragon, lost odyssey, NG2, Tales of vesperia or hell even eternal sonata.

Like throw some money at gooch and itagaki, they're not doing much.

man blue dragon 2 and Lost Odyssey 2 would be so amazing

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I was disappointed in their Japan support, it seemed like just PSO expansion.

July is not the time to hide stuff. Especially if you had a shit showing in May.
August is? Because rumors are Sony has stuff to show then, so why do we have different criteria for each company? Microsoft will be having another show probably right after Sony's.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I was disappointed in their Japan support, it seemed like just PSO expansion.

August is? Because rumors are Sony has stuff to show then, so why do we have different criteria for each company? Microsoft will be having another show probably right after Sony's.

One show was received outside of this era bubble by the public and was very positive and broke social metric records. The other did not, and now similar to events from previous gen where language is now getting muddy on what platform these games will be on confuses your messaging.

And Halo did not look good for a game in development for 5 years. Gameplay wise it looks fun, but man nothing visually blew me away, and now they are like "ray tracing coming later in a patch".

Shows they are not ready and are using gamepass to soften the blow for some of their bigger games.

Xbox is the platform that this past gen has had issues with games. July was their one big shot to really show people why you buy an xbox. ALl they did was show you why you should have gamepass which to me is only half of the pitch.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair - the conference focused on games that would be on GamePass, pretty much all big japanese games wouldnt be showing up there Day 1. We know that most big japanese games are gonna be Xbox/PS5 anyway.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Phil got all of the Kingdom Hearts series on GamePass
Phil got all of the Final Fantasy games on GamePass (minus FF7R)
Phil got Dragon Quest XI S on GamePass
Phil got PSO2 on GamePass

He's doing pretty well if you ask me, considering these games wouldn't even touch an Xbox, let alone a subscription service before.
FF has been multiplatform since XIII and KH3 has been announced for XB1 before the console even released.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
One show was received outside of this era bubble by the public and was very positive and broke social metric records. The other did not, and now similar to events from previous gen where language is now getting muddy on what platform these games will be on confuses your messaging.

And Halo did not look good for a game in development for 5 years. Gameplay wise it looks fun, but man nothing visually blew me away, and now they are like "ray tracing coming later in a patch".

Shows they are not ready and are using gamepass to soften the blow for some of their bigger games.

Xbox is the platform that this past gen has had issues with games. July was their one big shot to really show people why you buy an xbox. ALl they did was show you why you should have gamepass which to me is only half of the pitch.
Funny how you suggest they are not ready yet Sony has no official release dates aside from Spiderman. Yes Sony had a good show but you can't have different rules just because of your preference. Microsoft just announced they will have over 100 games ready at launch and we still have no idea what PS5 will launch with or what 1st party titles will receive a PS5 upgrade and if those upgrades will be free.

Game Pass is also a huge deal, all of those games they showed are included. The pressure to me is more on Sony to show why you have to upgrade since they are forcing people to and outside of Spiderman what games did they show that make you want to get a PS5 day one?

Some of you keep saying you buy the PS5 for future titles yet here you are suggesting Microsoft only had one chance. It's ridiculous. We don't even know the prices yet so obviously there is much more to show from both companies, but why do I get the feeliing you already had your mind made up last year before we saw one game on which system you were only interested in? See, that is Microsoft's biggest hurdle and their job, to convince Playstation fans, and we all know that is much more challenging than the casuals out there who haven't decided yet.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
First time DQ on xbox is insane, until you realize nobody who is a dedicated xbox owner cares about DQ.

Would have been a megaton if they funded something like DQX. That would have been a way to court fans over more than a port of a port. It seems that they did try this with PSO2, at least.

Oct 25, 2017
My personal wishlist for the show was:
1. something from Sakaguchi
2. something from Platinum
3. Deadly Premonition 2 port

If the above had happened, then I'd know for real that Spencer was serious about grabbing Japanese talent.

Instead, we're getting something that's Sonic Adventure x Billy Hatcher (which doesn't look that bad admittedly) and a next-gen version of PSO2 which was already going to launch in Japan soon with or without MS support.

Oh and the Japanese trailer for New Genesis mentions being about to play the SAME character (in terms of looks at least) in both PSO2 and New Genesis. Certain things like weapons, mags can be carried across. Why didn't the conference mention any of this? This is HUGE for long time players and whoever is starting out in the western version right now.

Edit: The conclusion I came to at the end of the entire thing was that the people in charge of the conference were all suits who don't understand jack shit about gaming.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
In my opinion, it's hard to get excited for the Japanese games Xbox gets because most end up being just multiplat releases which were once console exclusives for a period of time before-hand. Phil says, "look at all the Japanese games we have!" when in reality the Xbox got them pretty much by default, because everyone else got them as well. I think the only real "get" in the past few years has been PSO.