• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Or you can just buy a PS5 DE and subscribe to Playstation Now, Playstation plus, get access to over 800 titles including the Playstation plus collection which includes 18 highly rated games, while having more than twice the performance and memory

Cheaper than gamepass ultimate

The series S isn't a good value for what you can get for $100 more or getting a switch

It seems like you're grasping at straws. The same "value" argument can be added to just getting a Series X and Xbox Game Pass. Actually value seems vastly greater with XGP as it's practically synonymous with the "best value in gaming," and it's looking to be absolutely even more insane 2021 and beyond.

leecming

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
wake me up in 2023 when some of their games start coming out
we always seem to be waiting for Microsoft to finally launch some good games but something unfortunate happens

leecming

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
to paraphrase rumsfeld, you sell your console based on the games you have, not the games you wish you had

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
So sorry but what you just enumerated is really bad value for a consumer with a new console expecting new games.

I mean, you're making the case more and more for the PS5 DE since the series X/S are relying on enhanced games and BC for launch

Sales are reflecting how consumers perceive the value, and we already know that the PS5 DE is beating the S in preorders

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you're making the case more and more for the PS5 DE since the series X/S are relying on enhanced games and BC for launch

Sales are reflecting how consumers perceive the value, and we already know that the PS5 DE is beating the S in preorders

The war of my console is beating your console continues on page 24. Stay tuned and we'll check back in on page 35 for updates.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It's just a shame Microsoft thought that the best way to respond to a stupid timed exclusivity deal was with ultra-aggressive permanent exclusivity of an entire publisher.

Because yes, this is only going to get worse. And when Sony counters with a publisher of their own we'll see all the same complaints from the Xbox side.

And when Google, Apple or Amazon decides to eat a publisher, EVERYONE will be mad. This road only ends in disappointment.

I think you're overstating Sony's involvement in Microsoft deciding to acquire Bethesda. Microsoft has been blurring the lines between Game Pass and Xbox for a while now, and Game Pass requires content to drive adoption. They've been looking to bolster their anemic First Party efforts for a while now, evident by the fact that they had added 7 studios and built another between 2018-2019. An opportunity presented itself to acquire a private company, albeit a much bigger one than they had in the past, and they decided to jump on it.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like you're grasping at straws. The same "value" argument can be added to just getting a Series X and Xbox Game Pass. Actually value seems vastly greater with XGP as it's practically synonymous with the "best value in gaming," and it's looking to be absolutely even more insane in 2021

No, not really, can't make the same value argument with the X since you don't get twice the perf or memory and MS is still behind Sony in terms of output

Really now, customers look for content, Xbox won't sell based on promises of a bright future, they have yet to prove themselves after this gen

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're overstating Sony's involvement in Microsoft deciding to acquire Bethesda. Microsoft has been blurring the lines between Game Pass and Xbox for a while now, and Game Pass requires content to drive adoption. They've been looking to bolster their anemic First Party efforts for a while now, evident by the fact that they had added 7 studios and built another between 2018-2019. An opportunity presented itself to acquire a private company, albeit a much bigger one than they had in the past, and they decided to jump on it.

I'm not sure what people expected MS to do as a company. They were willing to buy, Zen was willing to sell. The perfect chance to bolster support for your platform while the other guys secure exclusive deal after exclusive deal. What would people want them to do? Say no? Go about as is?

Dec 31, 2017

What case? Can you play Spider-Man and Demon Soul on PS5 launch window with your PSNow subscription?

Because I can play Gears Tactics and The Medium on Xbox Series consoles by the end of the year with Gamepass for less than a fraction of the price of a game.

leecming

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Warned: Console Wars, Trolling
lol thinking Gear Tactics and the Medium are going to sell consoles

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
What case? Can you play Spider-Man and Demon Soul on PS5 launch window with your PSNow subscription?

Because I can play Gears Tactics and The Medium on Xbox Series consoles by the end of the year with Gamepass for less than a fraction of the price of a game.

The case for consumers expecting new games on a new console, not going to start list warz but there is a pretty big disparity between Sony and MS in terms of new launch games

Edit: and yeah, my console is better than yours, etc. Don't mean to derail the thread further

Dec 31, 2017
No, not really, can't make the same value argument with the X since you don't get twice the perf or memory and MS is still behind Sony in terms of output

Really now, customers look for content, Xbox won't sell based on promises of a bright future, they have yet to prove themselves after this gen
They already have the content as shown with what they have released this year, and it's only going up from here!

It's hard to admit when you are wrong , just know that Phil Spencer will accept you with open arms whenever you decide to get an Xbox Series X, the Most powerful next gen console.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I personally have this mindset, just to give an example:

If I want to play God of War what do I have to buy? A Playstation. If I want to play a future Bethesda game let's say ES6 then I have to buy an Xbox (or get a gaming PC etc.) Why? That's how exclusives work. Do you want to play both games? Well time to buy both consoles then. You cannot afford it? Which one do you like more then, GOW or ES6? Then you choose between the two. Why should Bethesda games come to Playstation? Because they were 3rd party developer before? Why should GOW not come to Xbox then? Because it's first party?

Me personally I like exclusives, takes advantage of the hardware so much more than multiplatform games.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this a lot like ISPs owning film and TV studios? I am surprised these acquisitions don't draw more ire.

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
All these purchases do is mean I'll need to keep my PC ready and able to play certain games. Not my ideal way of playing games but the odd game here and there on PC won't make much difference.

This is what I expected when the purchase was made.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

All it takes is a cursory glance at your post history to see that you're arguing in bad faith. Your "argument" falls apart the second you look at Switch. Current gen consoles are considerably more powerful yet it still is the fastest selling console YoY for almost 2 years straight. Nobody is going "well the Switch is the same price as PS4/Xbox and is vastly weaker so it isn't good value."

And you're really talking about "promises" of a bright future? You seriously think they've proved nothing this gen? I mean, that says it all right there.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I could say the same thing: thinking a remaster and an expansion to a game is going to sell consoles.

They almost certainly will.

All it takes is a cursory glance at your post history to see that you're arguing in bad faith. Your "argument" falls apart the second you look at Switch. Current gen consoles are considerably more powerful yet it still is the fastest selling console YoY for almost 2 years straight. Nobody is going "well the Switch is the same price as PS4/Xbox and is vastly weaker so it isn't good value."

The Switch has fundamental differences and abilities that the other consoles on the market do not, it's not a very good comparison point.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Best decision MS could make is not bring those games over to Playstation console. In the long run they would be better off making the games xbox platform exclusive in terms of profitability. That includes their PC ecosystem. This is the way they will probably go and it will be the best decision for them.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not happy about it but whatever. When TES6 releases it's going to be like halfway next gen so console prices will go down.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
Why do these conversations always end up in console war rhetoric? Just relax, play your system of choice, let people have their preference and move on.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Or you can just buy a PS5 DE and subscribe to Playstation Now, Playstation plus, get access to over 800 titles including the Playstation plus collection which includes 18 highly rated games, while having more than twice the performance and memory

Cheaper than gamepass ultimate

The series S isn't a good value for what you can get for $100 more or getting a switch
That's a $400 console and 2 $60/year subscriptions. A Series S w/ a year of GPU is $480 vs the $520 deal you mentioned. Also, PS Now is, IMO, a worse value compared to GamePass, though I suppose that's down to personal opinion. That said, it's a streaming-only service, so you have to take your internet into account and many people won't have sufficient internet for that. Can you even play PS Now on a PS5?

I disagree that the Series S is a bad value. It's $100 less than the cheapest PS5, and plays most of the same games. Sure it's less powerful, but that what gets the price down and it makes for a good 2nd console for PS5 owners who want to access GamePass or parents buying a console for their kids. As a budget-friendly console, that's a good deal.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
The Switch has fundamental differences and abilities that the other consoles on the market do not, it's not a very good comparison point.

And the same can be said vice versa. It is a good comparison because a) he simply mentioned the performance difference and b) Series S has XGP and PS5DE does not, i.e., the basis of the entire OP about Bethesda games from here on out. XGP is a fundamental difference, as you say, that has nothing to do with performance differences.

Mar 8, 2018
Lol thinking the people that help sell out the Series X bought the console for launch games.
Yeah, I bought the Series X purely for new hardware and existing library continuity. And I was going to buy it for those reasons regardless of launch games. Obviously launch games are still important, and PS5 undoubtedly has a distinct edge, but because of all the cross gen continuity on both systems, and because both systems offer significant user experience upgrades, I think this gen is one of the first where the console hardware has extremely high value on its own without even taking launch games into account.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Translation: They're perfectly fine keeping these games solely on Xbox/PC.

The reality is Bethesda's games belong to Microsoft now. They don't owe the other platform holders anything.
Personally I would keep these games exclusive to Xbox/PC unless Sony or Nintendo wants to pony up some of their franchises for Xbox/PC. Let's barter.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
In a year or two you will be able to use a Dual Sense controller on a Sony TV with an Xbox Game Pass app. If people don't want to stream then they can buy a cheap Series S or play on PC. If they don't want any of those options then there's nothing Microsoft could do to win them over.

I would be concerned for people who would miss the next Elder Scrolls because they don't want to create an Xbox account. There is a cost in porting games to another console and they want you in their ecosystem. If you have everything you need then why would are people making this a big deal.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
And the same can be said vice versa. It is a good comparison because a) he simply mentioned the performance difference and b) Series S has XGP and PS5DE does not, i.e., the basis of the entire OP about Bethesda games from here on out. XGP is a fundamental difference, as you say, that has nothing to do with performance differences.

GP isn't a fundamental difference, there's a number of subscription based services across all the consoles of varying power, the Switch is able to be used as a portable or home console device, it's completely different, it explains why there's power differential and makes a different use case and value argument.

There's a clear reason why the Switch is less powerful than it's contemporaries baked into the entire ethos of the console, arguing that it's success means that people will jump on board with lower specced hardware doesn't make sense unless DE and Series S also are both portable and home consoles by design.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
I mean, I read the part where he said "This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games."

He was asked the question "Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don't sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?"

To me it sounds like he was just saying that they don't need to sell it on Playstation to still make a profit, but that they didn't buy Bethesda with the intention of taking the games away from Playstation owners.

Point is, there's no confirmation either way here.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Lol thinking the people that help sell out the Series X bought the console for launch games.
This! It kill me everything I see something about "no launch exclusives". Like who is spending $500 just to play whatever is available at launch? Its a hardware upgrade for all the games you have now. That's enough for me, and announcing the purchase of Bethesda the day before preorders went live didn't hurt either.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that.

Uh, but that's exactly what it is though. Buying a huge third party publisher and it's studios to add to your first party lineup. It's exclusivity. No amount of PR is going to change that. I wasn't expecting them to show up outside of their ecosystem. It's just such a weird thing to keep saying.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Translation: They're perfectly fine keeping these games solely on Xbox/PC.

The reality is Bethesda's games belong to Microsoft now. They don't owe the other platform holders anything.

Personally I would keep these games exclusive to Xbox/PC unless Sony or Nintendo wants to pony up some of their franchises for Xbox/PC. Let's barter.
This. You people better go ahead and get through the other steps of grief right now. That money was an investment in Game Pass, not other consoles.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm

Yeah, I bought the Series X purely for new hardware and existing library continuity. And I was going to buy it for those reasons regardless of launch games. Obviously launch games are still important, and PS5 undoubtedly has a distinct edge, but because of all the cross gen continuity on both systems, and because both systems offer significant user experience upgrades, I think this gen is one of the first where the console hardware has extremely high value on its own without even taking launch games into account.

I think the majority of Xbox owners are playing the long game here. MS loves to play the long game themselves, and their customers know it. Those who are trying to check off a bullet point because their console has some launch games, by all means! I'll tell you what I continued to buy into for the next generation. It's easy and has been said so many times before.

Gamepass. I think this goes without saying about the value that hasn't been said a thousand times, but downplayed into laughable concern about sustainment.

Prices. $70 games? Nah. I think I'll pass on that. Day 1 first party content for the price of a cheap subscription? Gib.

Studios. 23? Sure it'll take some time to churn out content, but when it does come, it'll be a waterfall of content. Can't wait. In the meantime, there's plenty of 3rd party offerings. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Generations. MS does believe in generations. They believe in maintaining generations and making sure past content has a chance to be upgraded with the times. Some games get an automatic boost, others might require some work to get enhanced. Again, if your deal is buying $70 remasters, by all means. I'll enjoy my poor man's remaster that'll cost me close to nothing.

All in all, it's going to be a very exciting time for Xbox gamers. Can't wait to continue reaping the benefits of the decisions MS has been making this entire generation into the next.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
We are all just guessing until MS announce something. But Microsoft's strategy is game pass. The best way to increase game pass subs is to make Bethesda games exclusive. If you carry on releasing games on PlayStation, PlayStation fans will carry on playing the games there. I can't see any world where Elder Scrolls, Starfield, Fallout, Doom, Wolfenstein etc come to PlayStation.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
That's a $400 console and 2 $60/year subscriptions. A Series S w/ a year of GPU is $480 vs the $520 deal you mentioned. Also, PS Now is, IMO, a worse value compared to GamePass, though I suppose that's down to personal opinion. That said, it's a streaming-only service, so you have to take your internet into account and many people won't have sufficient internet for that. Can you even play PS Now on a PS5?

How can you even say it's a worse value when you don't know it's not a streaming only service?

Jan 9, 2018
I'm getting ps5 and Xbox series X on day one doesn't matter who makes the game but if it's free on gamepass that's where I'll be

boi

Nov 1, 2017
It'll be on everything except PlayStation, and PC alone is massive for TES and Fallout. I believe him.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Kinda wish Phil would just say , our games won't be on Playstation to end all of this. That might be good for xbox sales , but that backlash would probably be massive and idk if they would want that around a console launch .

But , he basically is saying what he always has been ...just vaguely .

He wants people to be able to play their games anywhere ......in the xbox ecosystem