• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No, seriously, the phrasing could mean anything.
I don't watch that show so that's why I ask if he said anything else, if not, how can you assume this means "all games exclusive from now on"?

Let's just say Blizzard pops up in an PlayStation Play Video and announces new Overwatch skins and says:

"This is about delivering great exclusive skins for you".

Do you interpret it as "All skins exclusive to Playstation from here on"? Or just "Some of them"?

Serious question, cause that quote just isn't a direct answer to me. I'm fine with both, I don't care, I just don't get how this is the definitive answer people were looking for.

Just grab a Series S or play Skyrim 2 on PC, it'll be ok.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Exactly what many and I said about this whole discussion. And that's something many kept ignoring when talking about how Microsoft cares more about Gamepass than platforms. Don't get me wrong, they do. But there is not much point to port a game to a platform without GP.
Phil Spencer on Bethesda: "If you're an Xbox customer, this is about delivering great exclusive games for you, on platforms where Game Pass exists."

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Spectacular L for PlayStation.

I'd like to think of it as more of a win for Microsoft, but you do you.

its-not-enough-that-i-should-succeed-others-should-fail-quote-1.jpg

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely fair. I'll say it again, if it were Sony that had bought Bethesda, we'd never have even had this discussion.

Further more, a Series S is $299. xCloud is soon going to be available everywhere, for less than $10 bucks.

If you want to play Bethesda games, it's never been easier to be an Xbox customer.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
It could not be anymore clear, yet we still have people trying to make ES6 multiplatform. Shit, this thing hit harder than anything we expected.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
He's talking about ESO (and to a lesser extent Fallout 76). ESO will continue to be supported on other platforms

But he already addressed this case in a previous sentence:

We have games that exist on other platforms, and we're going to go support those games on the platforms they're on.

Again, why is it so hard for him to say it? Or he could have said "Starfield / Elder Scrolls / Doom will be exclusive to GamePass". A simple, short statement that says how it is.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Sort of reads like the games that were already multiplatform will stay multiplatform, a select few new games in future that have a history of being multiplatform may be multiplatform, but the majority of new titles will be exclusive to Game Pass platforms.
That is absolutely not what it sounded like, at all. He couldn't have been clearer.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
i mean never say never. People didn't believe Sony games would ever come to PC.

No one knows What the future holds it's exactly why Phil said "where gamepass exists"

it's unlikely but there is always a possibility

He says the Xbox platform. Why would they put out gamepass on a ps5? They will have no need to sell the series x or s.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see what this means for Steam, long term. MS has gamepass so everything will be on PC regardless but yet they seem to want to continue releasing games on Steam, which has no GP(yet).

Obviously they can self publish on PC but they still give a cut to Valve. Gotta wonder how long that relationship lasts, if we go by Phil's wording here.

Crazy to think the PC ends up winning the most out of all this: GP, Xbox first party games and now (some)Sony games too. Who would have thought that 5 years ago?

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Yup, that was pretty damn clear in what their plans are. Everything but liveservice games that are already released (ESO) and contractual obligations (Deathloop, Ghost Tokyo and maybe Indiana Jones) will be exclusive
Where is this "maybe Indiana Jones" statement coming from? I highly, highly doubt its not exclusive as well. Too big a property not to be exclusive, th.

Aug 23, 2018
If you still think this could go either way:

Phil with the double down, Paris position is basically everything is exclusive except for the games with existing contracts and Future support for games already existing

All but confirms Starfield is exclusive. Could not be more clear

Regardless if you game on Xbox/PC or not, we all should collectively thank Phil for ending the exclusivity and "some" arguments for the next 3-4 month

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Don't do this Phil! You're going to lose out of on all that Playstation money! Trust me. I'm a 30-year old forum poster! I know what's best for the company!

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
You had to be an idiot or fanboy to assume this was going to go any other way after news broke of the deal.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Can anyone that did watch the entire showcase can make a TL;DR, please?

Future Bethesda games will release exclusively on platforms with Game Pass on them*. So PC and Xbox, currently.

It's the outcome that everyone without a vested interest in these games coming out on Playstation could have told you for the last ~3 months.

*Except for games which are already contractually bound to release on other platforms, like Deathloop, or ongoing games which are already on other platforms like Elder Scrolls Online.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man, just as I got back into Wolf and Doom. Not at all surprised though, only makes sense.
But hey, maybe I'll get game pass on my phone or something.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sort of reads like the games that were already multiplatform will stay multiplatform, a select few new games in future that have a history of being multiplatform may be multiplatform, but the majority of new titles will be exclusive to Game Pass platforms.

That's not how it reads at all.

When will people just accept the reality of the situation?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people still in denial.
If you like FPS and WRPG games, if you like Bethesda games, get a Gaming-PC or Xbox.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018

I think it's pretty clear that legacy in this context means things like F76 and ESO where there are large multiplayer communities that continue to exist (and spend money) on PlayStation. If there are 1 million ESO subscribers on PS4/PS5, then they will probably bring ESO2 and/or new expansions to PS5 instead of abandoning it like FFXI on PS2 or FFXIV on PS3.

I highly doubt they mean something like "Doom 6 will be on PS5 because Doom 1 was on PSX".

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
People said they need "Playstation money". MSFT does not need anything.

Building an exclusive portfolio is clearly what Phil plans to do. While I don't like these huge acquisitions, it's business. I've moved on a long time ago.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
People who are arguing legacy is vague are just grasping at straws. It clearly refers to games that are out now. For example Doom Eternal DLC part 2 coming to PS4/PS5 or their online games like elder scrolls and Fallout 76 getting DLC and support. I guess the only way these people who accept it is when the next Bethesda game announcement is only released on Xbox and PC.

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
They'll continue to support existing multiplatform games like ESO and fulfill upcoming contractual obligations like Deathloop, but outside of that, I'd expect to see future Bethesda games exclusive to Xbox/PC. That's how it read to me.

Its not a read. That is literally what he said in crystal clear terms.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't read like that at all. People are going to be so disappointed if they hold onto this idea then trailers start dropping and there's no playstation logo.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If don't plan to buy a Xbox, a gaming PC or an xCloud/GP sub for your Android/Chromium device, you can now /mute anything related to Bethesda Softworks definitely or stop torturing yourself by excepting ES6/Fallout/Starfield on your PS5. Hefe Spencer is talking about all previous contractual engagement, side-stuff and derivated IPs like Fallout Shelter, ESO etc.

Why does no one ever take a second to write up the full quote before posting? =/

Phil Spencer: "I listen to the podcasts and all the questions, so I'm gonna try to be as clear as I can, because that's what I, I just think it's fair. So obviously I can't sit here and say every Bethesda game is exclusive, because we know that's not true. There's contractual obligations that we're going to see through as we always do in every one of these instances. We have games that exist on other platforms, and we're going to go support those games on the platforms they're on. There's communities of players. We love those communities and we'll continue to invest in them. And even in the future, there might be things that have either contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we'll go do. But if you're an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists, and that's our goal. That's why we're doing this. That's the root of this partnership that we're building, and the creative capability we will be able to bring to market for our Xbox customers is going to be the best it's ever been for Xbox after we're done here."
Hmmmm, sounds like new ips (would explain why Sony was going after new ips like ghost wire, deathloop & starfield) will be exclusive to gamepass/Xbox, while current ips/online games will be multiplat. Least that's how it sounds to me. But tbh, I don't really care for Bethesda games, so none of this effects me, but I do think I'm entitled to my opinion.