• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Hm, I get this argument since it's basically saying make Banjo's BOTW, (something that feels new to everyone but also has the interest of the original fanbase) but rerelases also happen all the time because they can reach new audiences with the same gameplay.
Exactly. I think hes talking more about what he would like as a designer.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think it's great that Rare want to make new things, and not rehash their past IP forever. And I get what Mayles says about it needing to be something that would creatively interest him, not just "another Banjo game". They already did that in 2008 with Nuts & Bolts, and no one bought it despite it being a really inventive game.

Suspect if you see another Banjo game, it'll be like Killer Instinct and Battletoads, where Rare were in a kinda consultation role, rather than developing it. Of course, this assumes there are studios calling them with pitches on a new Banjo game in the first place.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
If we ever see a new Banjo or Conker, I want Rare to make it. And while I can respect other developers having a passion for the IP, I'm so tired of Rare outsourcing their games. I'm willing to wait if need be, but I hope they make it. I want to see Rare tackle both new ideas AND return to older ones.

Conker absolutely cannot work today. I think the IP could be revived but it would have to go in a different direction. I think it could still have an edge, but the South Park tier humor I feel hasn't aged well.

Then the question is, would it even be Conker anymore?

Who says it absolutely cannot work? Just like with a new Banjo, I'm sure if you have the right team with the right ideas, you can hit on something that works. We haven't even seen any attempt at a new Conker game since 2001. We literally don't even know how much potential the IP really has.

As for the humor not aging well.......Well, of course. If we're talking about a game that came out nearly 20 years ago. I'm sure a modern take on that style of game could be interesting.

And if it were Rare themselves making it, we wouldn't just get the same N64 game except with prettier graphics. Craig Duncan and Gregg Mayles have always talked about how Rare wouldn't go back to an IP unless it can do something interesting and different with it. I'm sure it won't be a Yooka Laylee situation.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
All hope is not lost if Rare doesn't want to make it themselves. We got a new Battletoads, Killer Instinct and Rare Replay this generation. Fingers crossed for Perfect Dark and Banjo in the next. The dream would be asking Playtonic if they might be interested, possibly in a cross-over with Yooka-Laylee, but if not some other opportunity might present itself.

I also want another Battletoads from Dlala..

Plubio

Nov 12, 2019
Spain
The father and designer of Banjo along with the mastermind behind the music. Gregg Mayles and Robin Beanland.

The mastermind behind Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie music is Grant Kirkhope, and he left Rare long ago. Is not hard to find on the internet some stuff about "how badly Microsoft treated Rare" while he was still there, by the way.
Beanland composed some tracks for Nuts & Bolts though (N&B was Kirkhope's last game before he left the studio).

Last edited:

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Yooka was a decent game that could have been better with a longer dev time and more investment. Hobestly the level design is just not very good and that is what the best thing about banjo kazooie was.

Given how well mario does I am pretty sure a well put together platformer based around bk would sell reasonably and be a hit on gamepass with younger gamers.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Conker absolutely cannot work today. I think the IP could be revived but it would have to go in a different direction. I think it could still have an edge, but the South Park tier humor I feel hasn't aged well.

Then the question is, would it even be Conker anymore?

Are you familiar with the Grand Theft Auto series?

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
to be fair, they made lots of new IPs, but also did "stick" to IPs over a long time frame at times.
they made about ~10 DK games and 5 BK games along with a few other sequels.
So it was a mix. The Donkey Kong Guys still went on to make more Donkey kong after blast corps, etc.
The Donkey Kong "guys" became the Banjo-Kazooie "guys" after DKC2. The Donkey Kong IP went to a different team for DKC3 and DK64, so even under the Rare banner people didn't really stick to Donkey Kong very long.

The original team was actually mostly still around for Nuts & Bolts but it was more a new idea with classic characters mixed in (though since Banjo drives in quite a few games I'd argue it wasn't actually all that weird for the IP to add vehicles to the mix). The DKC/BK team also did cult classic Ghoulies as well as Viva Piñata, which is largely held up as the game that best captured Rare's magic in the 360 era.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, Rare should have Vicarious Visions or Toys for Bob or even Playtonic to remake two Banjo games then work on Banjo Kazooie Threeie.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Rare should have Vicarious Visions or Toys for Bob or even Playtonic to remake two Banjo games then work on Banjo Kazooie Threeie.
While VV and TfB would likely do a great job with remaking Banjo-Kazooie, it's unlikely because those studios are owned by Activision-Blizzard. They're going to continue making Crash, Spyro and potentially Skylanders content for the foreseeable future.

Playtonic is a viable option though.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Look at what Insomniac has done with Ratchet and Clank. Rift Apart looks gorgeous, almost like a living Pixar movie. They're taking true advantage of the next-gen hardware and are creating something new and jaw-dropping with an older franchise.

This is what could be done with Banjo-Kazooie. The franchise deserves that kind of treatment. I would love nothing more than to see a next-gen Banjo-Kazooie exprience in the form of a brand new title.
Ratchet indeed does look incredible and of course Banjo Kazooie could get a similar treatment. But the developers would need to want to make it and I like Spencer's stance as the Head of Xbox and VP of Gaming at Microsoft to let the developers decide for themselves. This wasn't the case under other Head of Xbox guys.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Take it out of their hands, they don't want to work on any of IPs.
You dont have to take it out of their hands. Im sure rare is ok with other studios doing those games. Its a matter of asking. And they have been doing it for a while. Taking it away from them to FORCE a studio to work on it that maybe doesnt want to is a terrible idea.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mastermind behind Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie music is Grant Kirkhope, and he left Rare long ago. Is not hard to find on the internet some stuff about "how badly Microsoft treated Rare" while he was still there, by the way.
Beanland composed some tracks for Nuts & Bolts though (N&B was Kirkhope's last game before he left the studio).
Nuts and Bolts was a superb soundtrack so I have no concerns with Beanland taking over from Kirkhopes work.

And MS part of your post has been debunked multiple times from the Devs themselves, they were hands off, you think a game like Viva Pinata would've been green lit of they're weren't? We've got plenty of accounts from devs like Duncun Botwood, Chris Sutherland saying as much (1:25):
youtu.be

Chris Sutherland - Interview #1 - Tour du monde

LIS LA DESCRIPTION Y'A DES INFOS IMPORTANTES :Interview réalisée dans le cadre du tour du monde que nous faisons avec la coke TV gaming, voici la vidéo origi...

In fact MS improved the work environment since the Stampers were were quite draconian with how they managed the studio, oppressively so, Martin Hollis was let go and Free Radical was spun up because of how harsh conditions were for devs, it's all detailed here:
www.eurogamer.net

Perfect Dark: the oral history of an N64 classic

Delays, technical problems and walkouts over money and crunch could have killed Rare's spiritual sequel to GoldenEye. 2…

It was during Don Matrick period when things got decidedly worse for them, but that changed with Phil stepping in and asking them to make a "Rare game for today's audience": (34.00)
youtu.be

Rare at the Herbert: "Tales From Twycross" Developer Panel

Held at the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum in Coventry on September 15th 2018, this panel supported our summer 2018 exhibition entitled Rare: From 8-bit to Xbo...

Rare have always liked making new I.Ps, they don't like doing the same thing for too long, it's how its always been. This brain drain trope only fits if they weren't still putting out new inventive and successful games, which they have been. They're a place for nurturing talent still, Playtonic supports that, given people that entered Rare under MS are now part of that team.

Last edited:

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Seem more like Gregg Mayles (and Rare highers up) doesn't want to. Period. Crash Remastered, Spyro Trilogy, Sonic Mania or even Street of Rage 4 are proof that Old IPs can work in modern landscape. Just give the IP to a indie studio
rare did consult with Dlala on the battletoads game that just came out so like maybe once day but I feel like the anticipation of banjo threeie and overall banjo nostalgia is bigger than the active audience

Plubio

Nov 12, 2019
Spain
Nuts and Bolts was a superb soundtrack so I have no concerns with Beanland taking over from Kirkhopes work.

And MS part of your post has been debunked multiple times from the Devs themselves, they were hands off, you think a game like Viva Pinata would've been green lit of they're weren't?

I think you're missing my point. I don't really care if Rare decides to release a new Banjo game, that's not I was talking about. Banjo-Tooie is my favourite game of all time and to this day I still think modern Rare wouldn't be able to recreate something that good, Gregg Mayles on it or not.

Most of the Nuts & Bolts' Soundtrack was composed by Kirkhope so, whatever. Beanland did a splendid work, but most of his themes weren't all-in new, having Kirkhope's original themes tossed around (even Showdown Town was composed by Kirkhope).

And by the way, I can also show some interviews where Grant shows unpleasant feelings towards Microsoft during 2010 (and it's not the only one) and I'm more inclined to believe him considering David Wise left too, key members at Playtonic are also older Rare devs ans so on. However, nowadays it is widely accepted that Microsoft seems to be "in good terms" with Rare and that's good.

Still, kind of hard for me to believe "Rare was hand off" just watching the amount of cancelled games for "no reason" that existed after being bought by Microsoft and a few years after. Pretty sure Rare wanted to do Kinect Sports 1 AND 2.

So yeah, Rare overall is a sad story. And we don't talk about some Microsoft executives thinking they bought "Donkey Kong" as a whole too. Or, which saddens me the most, the Mundo Rare case.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Mayles' tweets sound like another Nuts and Bolts disaster.
If they're making banjo a battle royale, gacha ww2 moba fps with crafting in order to appeal to kids, they better just leave the franchise alone.

OP
OP
HibbySloth

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you familiar with the Grand Theft Auto series?

Grand Theft Auto isn't trying to sell an M rated game with a cartoony mascot plastered on the cover.

I think you're missing my point. I don't really care if Rare decides to release a new Banjo game, that's not I was talking about. Banjo-Tooie is my favourite game of all time and to this day I still think modern Rare wouldn't be able to recreate something that good, Gregg Mayles on it or not.

Most of the Nuts & Bolts' Soundtrack was composed by Kirkhope so, whatever. Beanland did a splendid work, but most of his themes weren't all-in new, having Kirkhope's original themes tossed around (even Showdown Town was composed by Kirkhope).

And by the way, I can also show some interviews where Grant shows unpleasant feelings towards Microsoft during 2010 (and it's not the only one) and I'm more inclined to believe him considering David Wise left too, key members at Playtonic are also older Rare devs ans so on. However, nowadays it is widely accepted that Microsoft seems to be "in good terms" with Rare and that's good.

Still, kind of hard for me to believe "Rare was hand off" just watching the amount of cancelled games for "no reason" that existed after being bought by Microsoft and a few years after. Pretty sure Rare wanted to do Kinect Sports 1 AND 2.

So yeah, Rare overall is a sad story. And we don't talk about some Microsoft executives thinking they bought "Donkey Kong" as a whole too. Or, which saddens me the most, the Mundo Rare case.

Thank you for this. I can never completely blame Rare for their downfall in the mid 00's-early 10's on them alone. Gregg Mayles and Tim Stamper may have been the ones to come up with Nuts & Bolts, but Microsoft shitcanned a lot of other games Rare wanted to do. The old Rare and the Don Mattrick lead Xbox division were never a good fit.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you comparing Banjo Kazooie being to Ice Climbers? The latter is just a standalone game.
Because Smash is loaded with legacy characters that either only ever appeared in one or two games, and third-party characters getting in as DLC doesn't translate to an imminent series revival. BK got into Smash based off of years and years of fan requests from people that played the games on the N64.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Grand Theft Auto isn't trying to sell an M rated game with a cartoony mascot plastered on the cover.

That's a weak argument, we live in a golden era of mature cartoons and Conker is a pre-existing IP so everybody knows what to expect with him.

Because Smash is loaded with legacy characters that either only ever appeared in one or two games, and third-party characters getting in as DLC doesn't translate to an imminent series revival. BK got into Smash based off of years and years of fan requests from people that played the games on the N64.

I'm not saying that a Smash inclusion translates to a series revival, I'm saying that they should take advantage of the Smash inclusion to make a series revival.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying that a Smash inclusion translates to a series revival, I'm saying that they should take advantage of the Smash inclusion to make a series revival.
Smash made Banjo relevant again in the eyes of fans that remember his games on the N64 and loved finally seeing him in Smash. But his success as a DLC character in a Switch game isn't necessarily going to mean that Microsoft or any Xbox studio will want to make a new Banjo for an Xbox audience.

OP
OP
HibbySloth

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a weak argument, we live in a golden era of mature cartoons and Conker is a pre-existing IP so everybody knows what to expect with him.

Back when Live & Reloaded released, Wal-Mart refused to sell the game despite that some of their stores had sold the N64 version which was less censored. GTA has had it's own controversy but it's clear that it knows what it wants to be. It's not Rockstar's fault the game gets into kid's hands due to bad parenting.

I don't think you would have to completely reinvent Conker. The Battletoads came back and it feels like an Adult Swim cartoon. I just severely doubt you could do the exact same humor and jokes in Bad Fur Day and sell it today.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Smash made Banjo relevant again in the eyes of fans that remember his games on the N64 and loved finally seeing him in Smash. But his success as a DLC character in a Switch game isn't necessarily going to mean that Microsoft or any Xbox studio will want to make a new Banjo for an Xbox audience.

Despite the vocal demand being there and a lack of platformers for the Xbox Series X?

Come on, if Battletoads can get a revival then why can't Banjo and Kazooie? I know they have their reasons but they're fairly weak reasons.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Despite the vocal demand being there and a lack of platformers for the Xbox Series X?

Come on, if Battletoads can get a revival then why can't Banjo and Kazooie? I know they have their reasons but they're fairly weak reasons.
Vocal internet demand doesn't always pan out to sales.

And you saw that Battletoads revival, right? That game is like a low-budget bad joke.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Vocal internet demand doesn't always pan out to sales.

And you saw that Battletoads revival, right? That game is like a low-budget bad joke.

The Battletoads revival sold well so the revival was worth the financial investment so I'm failing to see why Banjo Kazooie can't be revived with a different developer.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The Battletoads revival sold well so the revival was worth the financial investment so I'm failing to see why Banjo Kazooie can't be revived with a different developer.
"Because Battletoads did well for its budget and expectations, a Banjo revival should be pursued" is a flawed argument in itself.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think Smash inclusion means much. F-Zero GX came out shortly after Melee and Captain Falcon has always been one of the more popular characters

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Moon Studios did say they were up for it.

Holy shit.

This guy gets it so much. Banjo Tooie is a piece of shit. Yooka laylee sucked. Banjo Kazooie is GOAT and the people at Moon Studios obviously understand exactly why.

Rare please. That is a dream collaboration in my opinion.

The only thing is well I have no doubt Moon Studios can produce a great 3D platformer, I don't know if Moon Studios would be able to match the wit or Scheer variety of the original game.

Please thomasmahler make it happen.

I've been dreaming for years and years thst someone would return to the original Banjo Kazooie and make a proper sequal to that game.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I didn't "grow up" with Banjo (I had an N64 but neither of the Banjo games), but I'd still appreciate a well designed 3D platformer. If the games were good on their own design merits then you can appeal to everyone, including people unfamiliar with the originals. It's why something like The Force Awakens was able to be a huge box office success despite being kind of a retread.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Personally I'd prefer Microsoft take some leadership with this and find some studio (whether 1st party or 2nd party) that has the pedigree and passion to bring these franchises back (or some other mascot). I think Mascot platformers are still important to certain demographic and bring diversity to a lineup. Today's Sackboy fan is tomorrow's Kratos/Nathan Drake fan.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I don´t want to bother you thomasmahler but if at any time you could pitch MS a idea for a new Banjo game you would be in the way to make many many fans really happy.

I have played your two masterpieces, Ori 1 & 2, and I think Moon Studios could come up with a fantastic 3D platformer.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
"Because Battletoads did well for its budget and expectations, a Banjo revival should be pursued" is a flawed argument in itself.

What. No it's not.

A Banjo Kazooie revival can work in today's market. Your counterarguments have been contrary for the sake of being contrarian.

I don't think Smash inclusion means much. F-Zero GX came out shortly after Melee and Captain Falcon has always been one of the more popular characters

F-Zero is a Nintendo IP that's associated with Shigeru Miyamoto, I think the rules for that are slightly different.

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
I just think they don't have the bottle for it. All this bullshit about it having to offer something different is just an excuse. Rare know they can't match the heavy weight of expectation that comes with a beloved game like BK. They just don't have the right talent to make it I feel.

(note I specifically said RIGHT talent)

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I will say, last thing I want is a developer working on a game they don't want to make because the end result won't be good. Current Rare has made it known that they don't have a lot of interest in going back to their classic franchises. So i think the path forward is for MS to put out feelers to different devs both internally and externally to see if there's interest out there from a team to make a new Banjo.

And just let Conker die. As a platformer it was a subpar one at the time that featured sub-Ren & Stimpy humor and what were mostly dated references even at the time. Conker just really doesn't make sense in 2020 unless there's some sort of significant rethink of what it is. I have no idea what the quality of any aspect of that new Battletoads was but the approach they took with that game I feel like would almost make more sense to do with a Conker reboot. Get some outside writing talent, don't be too precious with it, and take it in more of the "adult cartoon TV show" direction. Either way, Conker would require a significant degree of work to revitalize and modernize and since there's little to suggest that a new Conker would actually be a big seller I can't see them taking a chance on it (especially since that new Battletoads kind of came and went).

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Yes, WTF, usually developers love to work on unsuccessful shit.

Haha

I'm personally not very invested in Banjo but I'm all for a new Conker... Which will never happen lol. But I completely understand Rare's position here as well. Online pleas for revivals do not always guarantee great sales and the last thing anyone wants to do is plummet their company into millions of dollars of debt. The new Crash looks great but sales thus far haven't been so hot, Shenmue III sold like Poison Ivy Dildos, Mirror's Edge was revived only to plunge back into obscurity, etc and so on. I just hope Skate 4 is successful.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
What. No it's not.

A Banjo Kazooie revival can work in today's market. Your counterarguments have been contrary for the sake of being contrarian.
I'm saying that Battletoada and BK are two different franchises and a new BK would have a different audience expectation/budget. Nintendo doesn't base demand for a new F-Zero on how well Metroid did.