• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
there's always been a "jock" like air of sleeze about him imo...the car salesman type. but he says the right things. i just don't particularly feel like any of it has really amounted to a whole lot just yet. certainly not to be lauded as some saviour. next gen will be when we see whether all the talk amounts to anything though. no more excuses, just results.

kiryyuu

Banned
Dec 23, 2019
He's an executive for a popular gaming brand. When he opens his mouth, do you expect it to be bad news for gamers?

That's public relations. Every corporate executive wants to be seen as passionate about their work.

Why? Why do you want to believe that? It's not really an impulse I understand. I don't really feel any need or desire to "believe" in corporate executives as people.

I think he's the head of Xbox and that he's very good at presenting an image of someone who seems like a relatable, decent bloke. But I don't know really know him and neither do you. I wouldn't ever want to confuse the public relations presentation of someone with the real person.
that third point, yikes.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
come on guys hes a company exec he isn't your friend.

People are allowed to be fans of whoever they admire or like.

There's a politician, or a musician or a sportsman or woman you like and follow. Do they consider you their friend too?

LeBron James, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are out there to play their sport, win trophies and make money. You think we should go around reminding all the cheering fans that they aren't friends with them?

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
People like Phil because he seems like a genuinely nice person and is a dedicated gamer. He is leading the Xbox platform in a direction that benefits players. Our hobby is playing games and Phil is arguably making that more enjoyable. Not that hard to understand.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this thread is weird as fuck. gamers be normal challenge 2020. company execs are the company's guy, don't put them on a pedestal, jesus christ

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think Phil spencer realizes that the best way to sell their products is to do right to the consumers it sells its products too.

He is still a company exec trying to sell us something but the strategy they are using is good for gamers

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I like Phil. He's passionate but more in a "I like gaming" sense rather than the "This is a team sport" kinda way. Definitely fits in with Nadella's type of culture more than Ballmer's.

The cult around him is kinda weird, though. People were idolizing him when he took over before he actually did anything.

Feb 23, 2019
Given their announcements in the past 6 months alone, there are signs that is changing. Yes, the 'new IP' was cancelled for the Coalition, but what about Rare's activity now, or the purchasing/founding of multiple studios?

This shit takes time and is already showing signs of bearing fruit. No, there's no guarantee any of these games will be galaxy-crushing works of revelation, but I'm fairly confident that a lot of people will enjoy them, which is actually the main reason we are here, talking about this stuff. Contrast MS of 3 years ago with them now: 4 new games, 3 being new IP, announced at the last two public events they've had a presence at, and that's without E3 and excluding unreleased-but-already-announced games, like Flight Sim and AoEIV. You don't have to go far back to find it a much quieter scene: E3 + Gamescom sometimes for a year in which there might be that many games announced total. You don't have to like anything they do, it doesn't change that they are doing it.

Also (to the thread at large), the reductiveness about Xbox 'content' is interesting. Because it hasn't been as widely loved as Sony's, it's treated as near worthless by some (this is endlessly regurgitated, and endlessly tiresome). Newsflash: there's a reason there are still millions of Xbox owners, despite MS's worst efforts late-last/early-this gen: lots of people enjoy these games because they are actually fun (radical, I know!), most of the time.

I can type all this without thinking much of anything about Phil Spencer.

We do it to ourselves, as ever.

like I said, I'm glad he's making these changes

but they should have been made over 10 years ago

as you said, these things take a long time and back in 2009 that was the time to invest and bolster internal studios

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is alternative version of Phil Spencer Effect chart?.
ERA stop idolizing execs

Huh, I looked it up and that image is actually still being hosted.

If this is some sort of banned image, just let me know and I'll edit.

phil_spencer_effectxlkhf.png

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's always been a "jock" like air of sleeze about him imo...the car salesman type. but he says the right things. i just don't particularly feel like any of it has really amounted to a whole lot just yet. certainly not to be lauded as some saviour. next gen will be when we see whether all the talk amounts to anything though. no more excuses, just results.

Oof. You're just a hop, skip, and a jump away from saying he has a punch-able face.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Parasocial relationships are a thing but not necessarily healthy. IMO I find it cringe to consider someone I've never met or interacted with much "our guy" or friend, because there's the risk when they do something awful, putting him a pedestal will disappoint you even more (or fall into denial that he did that thing).

I liked his chat on Giantbomb E3 podcasts but he's not suddenly "our guy" because he does a good job.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018

Parasocial relationships are a thing but not necessarily healthy. IMO I find it cringe to consider someone I've never met or interacted with much "our guy" or friend, because there's the risk when they do something awful, putting him a pedestal will disappoint you even more (or fall into denial that he did that thing).

I liked his chat on Giantbomb E3 podcasts but he's not suddenly "our guy" because he does a good job.

Nothing really matters as long as you remember they're just another flawed human being. With this mentality it's hard to be disappointed in someone.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
how is this even comparable?
people are generally fans of politicians because they further your own values and world view.
people are fans of sports players, musicians, artists, game developers are fans because they appreciate their talent and craft.

Phil Spencer is business executive whose sole job is to maximise profits for Microsoft under the Xbox brand. Yes he genuinely may like videogames but that just plays into this chummy "im one of you guys" act which makes people buy into the brand better.

It is completely comparable. He turned the Xbox brand from shame to pretty great. It takes no talent to turn a brand around? He isn't making tough and smart decisions? He isn't good at PR and public speaking? He helped right the ship to give the Playstation brand better competition. Competition that improves our hobby. I don't see the problem in being a fan of the man. Sony fans love Cerny and Nintendo fans love Reggie.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Phil and I are friends, he's the only one who "sees" me and understands my needs as a gamer.

I tweet him every day and his stoic, paternal, lack of response just drives me to make an even better tweet next time!

I'm saving up so I can go to America and move in with him...

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil and I are friends, he's the only one who "sees" me and understands my needs as a gamer.

I tweet him every day and his stoic, paternal, lack of response just drives me to make an even better tweet next time!

I'm saving up so I can go to America and move in with him...
Not if I get him first, I call dibs for Phil. I got an altar dedicated to him and I pray for cheap gamepass everyday, that is more than your tweet

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously I don't know the guy, but he sounds like a genuinely nice guy. I like the story that the co creator, and once head of Xbox Ed Fries tells during an IGN interview a few years ago (around 57 minute mark in the video) about how he recruited Phil back during the OG Xbox days. And how when things went south, and Fries quit, Phil Spencer walked into his office and offered to quit as well out of loyalty. So he sounds like a legit good guy.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
He's doing a good job I guess but then again.. he took over with Microsoft in 3rd place. Microsoft is still in 3rd place.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
He's doing a good job I guess but then again.. he took over with Microsoft in 3rd place. Microsoft is still in 3rd place.

3rd place? What kind of race is this and what does the winner get? Which team are you rooting for? I like the one with the cool logo that I can wear while I cheer them on to victory.