• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When MS doesn't have enough studios: "MS is doomed!"

When MS is working on getting more studios: "The industry is doomed!"

Literally:
5u69LPe.gif

Fabled MS warchest finally opened, and yes, im absolutely loving it. No shame in saying so, i dont think any platform holder comes close to what MS have done with their eco system, so investing in bringing in talent, sharing tech and ideas is going to benefit gamers who've subbed to their platform. A fully backed Xbox by MS has not been witnessed yet, we're about to now see what that looks like.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
People keep forgetting that if you buy a PS5, you will have everything you need to access the Xbox ecosystem. In a few years when latency is between 10 to 20ms and bandwidth significantly increases, streaming will be a viable solution as your secondary platform of choice...even for gaming enthusiasts. That's better latency than most of your displays at the start of this gen. It will be available as smart apps on TVs, on potato laptops, and in your PS browser. My bet is that most gaming enthusiasts will choose a local option and a cloud option. Cloud option fills the gaps when you're traveling or don't have access to a console. Xcloud works with a Playstation controller. This portfolio growth is to 1) provide enough content to keep you locked in month after month 2) be the premiere content provider for streaming services. In Nadella's interviews prior to the Bethesda purchase, he barely mentions the Playstation or console gaming in general. Xbox will be looked at as a 3rd party by the time Elder Scrolls releases.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
My worry is that Google or Apple buys Sony and then use them as a launching pad to buy Japanese 3rd parties...

Apple Playstation..(throws up in mouth)

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
People keep forgetting that if you buy a PS5, you will have everything you need to access the Xbox ecosystem. In a few years when latency is between 10 to 20ms and bandwidth significantly increases, streaming will be a viable solution as your secondary platform of choice...even for gaming enthusiasts. That's better latency than most of your displays at the start of this gen. It will be available as smart apps on TVs, on potato laptops, and in your PS browser. My bet is that most gaming enthusiasts will choose a local option and a cloud option. Cloud option fills the gaps when you're traveling or don't have access to a console. Xcloud works with a Playstation controller. This portfolio growth is to 1) provide enough content to keep you locked in month after month 2) be the premiere content provider for streaming services. In Nadella's interviews prior to the Bethesda purchase, he barely mentions the Playstation or console gaming in general. Xbox will be looked at as a 3rd party by the time Elder Scrolls releases.
This is...an incredibly ambitious prediction

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Happy to hear there will be more acquisitions meaning more games on Game Pass, a service not exclusive to any one platform. Great news.

Jun 23, 2019
Literally:
5u69LPe.gif

Fabled MS warchest finally opened, and yes, im absolutely loving it. No shame in saying so, i dont think any platform holder comes close to what MS have done with their eco system, so investing in bringing in talent, sharing tech and ideas is going to benefit gamers who've subbed to their platform. A fully backed Xbox by MS has not been witnessed yet, we're about to now see what that looks like.

Oh, it'll be interesting to see alright. Not every publisher and studio in the gaming industry is going to bow down to MS's checkbook so it'll be interesting to see how MS approaches this, considering the rumor that studios and publishers were charging MS more money for the same deals they were giving Sony.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond Sony pictures and Playstation, there's nothing that Apple, Google, Amazon will want from Sony.

Apple gains the most. The IP's Sony owns in tech, especially in headsets, cameras and LCD are worth the acquisition alone. Most of Sony stuff can be used for Apple products. So its more than Playstation and Pictures...far more.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017

Seriously doubt streaming is going to be anywhere close to a viable secondary "solution" in a few years for any enthusiast.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Apple gains the most. The IP's Sony owns in tech, especially in headsets, cameras and LCD are worth the acquisition alone. Most of Sony stuff can be used for Apple products. So its more than Playstation and Pictures...far more.

I actually think Sony do manufacture the cameras in iPhones, right?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
...one that multiple trillion dollar companies have ambitiously predicted...which is why all this is going on.

Pretty sure the O button closing the PS web browser puts the brakes on any "you can just stream Xcloud on your PS5 lol" ideas.

Unless you expect people to play every Xcloud game without an entire face button.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think Sony do manufacture the cameras in iPhones, right?

Yea, so Apple will own their camera manufacturer companies as well as other tech (such as their ANC for headphones and earbuds, which are the best in the industry). Apple would gain the most from Sony (including their music library).

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Oh, it'll be interesting to see alright. Not every publisher and studio in the gaming industry is going to bow down to MS's checkbook so it'll be interesting to see how MS approaches this, considering the rumor that studios and publishers were charging MS more money for the same deals they were giving Sony.

The price of the deal is based on the amount they lose by doing the deal. If your market leader there are fewer lost sales than if you arent. Wouldn't read into it to mean anything more than that.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Sony will need to face the reality that the market is much more competitive and Big tech is getting involved in a big way. They will need to be more creative on who they will purchase. They don't have the financial leverage to compete against Big tech companies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty sure the O button closing the PS web browser puts the brakes on any "you can just stream Xcloud on your PS5 lol" ideas.

Unless you expect people to play every Xcloud game without an entire face button.

Realistically people wouldn't go through that trouble anyways. Trying to make a point as Microsoft is currently trying to workaround the Apple system through their web browser. Will be easier using a TV apps, streaming stick or just streaming on a computer. Point is Xcloud is meant to work with PS controllers.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Seriously doubt streaming is going to be anywhere close to a viable secondary "solution" in a few years for any enthusiast.

Internet is improving at a faster rate than AAA games get developed in. AAA development is a 4 to 7 year endeavor. The time it takes to make 1 AAA game (or by the time the next Elder Scrolls comes out in 2025 or 2026) the entire world will look very different. 5G and Starlink are in their infancy but will be improving yearly.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't want to play the next Elder Scrolls streaming to my iPad on my shitty internet. Is Game Pass even supported by Apple?

Then buy an Xbox if you don't like the other options like you would buy any other system for their exclusives. Either follow the games or don't it ain't hard.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
RPGs should be pretty well suited for streaming. Some minor lag is not going to ruin games that don't rely on fast reaction times.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And you don't need that console to access those games if you have a PC or mobile device.

One day, Xbox fans will understand that nobody views mobile streaming as a viable alternative to playing games natively on actual hardware.

Like would you honestly sit here and tell me you'd play GTAVI or the next Red Dead game via streaming on your phone if Sony bought Take-Two? Because I'm pretty sure we'd be seeing all the exact same complaints from the other side of the fence if that happened, even IF Sony had a phone streaming solution.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More acquisitions...

MS the new "I'll fuckin' do it again" meme lol.

Like I said before, I think Sony needs to start jumping into waters on a larger scale, because MS is no longer messing around. You also have Tencent, Amazon, etc looming.
Except that Sony doesn't have Microsoft/Amazon/Google/Facebook/Apple money.
The best they can do is continue to pump out The Last of Us quality games from their own studios and pray that it's enough.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Literally:
5u69LPe.gif

Agree

I've supported Xbox since day one and I'm not sure we've ever seen this level of commitment from Microsoft. Game Pass has been so great in so many ways.
Phil's comments should bury any concerns about GaaS games taking over GP. Any viable subscription service needs a wide variety of quality content, both SP and MP, to retain and grow subscribers. I and others have brought up that point multiple times, but people would rather spout baseless fears to spread FUD.

It's good to know they see their blind spots when it comes to E rated games. I'm anxious to see how they address it. They definitely have the talent to do it.

It sucks for PS/Nintendo only players, but Xbox was forced to make some moves to grow their stable of devs. Did we or did we not want exclusive games? They're launching a new console and don't have the 5-6 years it would take to build studios from scratch, which they're also doing. I don't see any logical reason why Xbox would put Bethesda games on Sony or Nintendo platforms.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
One day, Xbox fans will understand that nobody views mobile streaming as a viable alternative to playing games natively on actual hardware.

Like would you honestly sit here and tell me you'd play GTAVI or the next Red Dead game via streaming on your phone if Sony bought Take-Two? Because I'm pretty sure we'd be seeing all the exact same complaints from the other side of the fence if that happened, even IF Sony had a phone streaming solution.

The benefit of streaming is that it moves between devices. TV, desktop, Chromebook, your fridge....

Even though they're saying it's out of beta, it's still basically a beta. As someone who periodically tests it out, I wouldn't suggest anyone use it regularly today. As someone who follows the greater tech industry, it's improving on both ends. Both from Microsoft and internet providers. Another 2 to 3 years and it will be a viable way to play a game like Starfield.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The benefit of streaming is that it moves between devices. TV, desktop, Chromebook, your fridge....

Even though they're saying it's out of beta, it's still basically a beta. As someone who periodically tests it out, I wouldn't suggest anyone use it regularly today. As someone who follows the greater tech industry, it's improving on both ends. Both from Microsoft and internet providers. Another 2 to 3 years and it will be a viable way to play a game like Starfield.

In the US, ISPs aren't going to get less predatory and corrupt in the next 2-3 years, though.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018

No one is saying that Streaming is a total replacement for hardware, no one has ever said that. But if it's 'good enough' then casual consumers will flock to it. So this means Microsoft can simply say that PS only gamers can use streaming, it's not like Sony has a viable PC and Cloud gaming service that competitors are taking seriously.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

I'd be jumping at the idea of spending $15 to stream whatever Sony game I wanted if it was an option.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you can safely stop worrying. Why would Sony want to sell themselves?
If MS begins to take meaningful market share from Sony via GamePass and studio/publisher acquisitions they'll need to mod something before letting their core business devalue significantly.

But I'd assume Amazon would be the most interested. Real strong fit there.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
In the US, ISPs aren't going to get less predatory and corrupt in the next 2-3 years, though.

Consumers will have more options. There is higher levels of competition and due to the extra bandwidth these companies have, its the first place they will go to entice consumers. Also so much of the investment from these mega corporations depends on consumers having access to lots and lots of bandwidth.

All corporations would be predatory if they could get away with it. Government helped a lot of ISPs get away with it. Too much riding on the line and more options now. While anything could happen, I dont expect bandwidth caps to get in the way of gaming once we turn over to full 5G and other more advanced products.

Will help to vote out Republicans in America as well.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Consumers will have more options. There is higher levels of competition and due to the extra bandwidth these companies have, its the first place they will go to entice consumers. Also so much of the investment from these mega corporations depends on consumers having access to lots and lots of bandwidth.

All corporations would be predatory if they could get away with it. Government helped a lot of ISPs get away with it. Too much riding on the line and more options now. While anything could happen, I dont expect bandwidth caps to get in the way of gaming once we turn over to full 5G and other more advanced products.

Will help to vote out Republicans in America as well.

I don't think anyone living in a Comcast-dominated hellhole is going to wind up with more options any time soon, I'm afraid. Even if we get rid of Ajit Pai.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond Sony pictures and Playstation, there's nothing that Apple, Google, Amazon will want from Sony.
Sony is the worlds largest holder of music IP if I recall, to the point where Sony could probably end every music streaming service if they pulled out (but would lose a literal fortune for it).

They also make some of the best camera technology in the world, something all those companies care about, and a variety of other tech components and patents.

Sony's entire business model would fit incredibly well into both Google and Amazon. Apple has shown no real willingness to expand its hardware in that way and it's video streaming service is the weakest of all three so they might not be as interested, but Amazon and Google would almost certainly want everything other than like, their Japanese insurance business.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Pretty shitty. Hopefully they won't bitch when Sony or Nintendo picks up a beloved developer.
I'm not sure its really a wrong thing to be excited about something you enjoy is getting better .

Thats why all companies make deals . To make what they offer better .

You can be understanding of the situation but still be excited for it .

Its just video games. Most people aren't going to get that deep into it.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Except that Sony doesn't have Microsoft/Amazon/Google/Facebook/Apple money.
The best they can do is continue to pump out The Last of Us quality games from their own studios and pray that it's enough.
Sony does not have their type of money, but stop acting like they're poor lol.

They can make big plays for publishers if they have the stomach for it. But they certainly can't yawn like it's nothing. The wrong move could damn near end them.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Pretty shitty. Hopefully they won't bitch when Sony or Nintendo picks up a beloved developer.
If sony bought a publisher i would just continue what im doing now, watching their games on youtube. Its super obvious that people will champion whatever company they use as their primary ecosystem. As a gamepass pc subscriber, of course i want xbox to continue acquiring devs/pubs as i get more games for my sub

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm not sure its really a wrong thing to be excited about something you enjoy is getting better .

Thats why all companies make deals . To make what they offer better .

You can be understanding of the situation but still be excited for it .

Its just video games. Most people aren't going to get that deep into it.
Games like Starfield and ES were coming to everything anyways. The only thing that this acquisition changes is that those games will be on less platforms. Nothing is "made better" because of this. Things are only made worse for a lot of gamers.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Platform Warring; Long History of Platform Warring
Yea but its not because MS wouldn't want to.
They would love to make money off of every console gamer on Sony and Nintendo consoles.
Sony and Nintendo simply want those revenues for themselves. Don't be upset when the competition ups the ante.

Sony was the first one to start buying up a bunch of studios during the PS1 era all the way to the modern era. Every Gen Sony bought studios and everyone cheered them on.
Now that the competition is not playing around everyone wants to act like MS started this.
No one batted an eye when Sony did it.

I actually think gamepass is their maindraw in the new generantion, it's not exclusives. I also think they know they should release on everything but can't to fanboy outcry.

You can't be serious if you think anything sony has done is the same than this shit.

The whole xbox only started because they had fear sony would get to powerful. 20 years of bad decisions later they bruteforce it. Let's see how it goes, lets hope if nad and phill are gone it's still the same.

Btw. I think tencent wouldn't have been this bad for the Industrie

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Games like Starfield and ES were coming to everything anyways. The only thing that this acquisition changes is that those games will be on less platforms. Nothing is "made better" because of this. Things are only made worse for a lot of gamers.
Weren't Sony trying to get starfield exclusive timed ? Doesn't Sony have 2 zeni games already timed exclusive ?

Nothing is made better for ps only owners . But for gamepass users its definitely better.

People can be excited about that and you shouldn't expect people to feel bad cause another box owner can't play those games on that box anymore .