• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
"Our strategy does not revolve around how many Xboxes I sell this year."

Why would you say this lol, isn't it his job to sell as many as possible? What is your strategy if not to convince people that Series X is a good idea? Why make the product then? They spent millions in R&D, I'm sure they want as many people buying their new product as possible. How will people get gamepass if they don't get an xbox?
There are multiple points of entry for gamepass. A console is just one of them.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
I get the marketing game here but I would be so hesitant to buy an Xbox at this point. They so clearly want to be out of the hardware business and just focus on services and software.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
My nervousness on price is ratcheting up. I have zero desire to get a Series X but I am feeling both consoles are going to be pretty damn expensive.

Will double down on what others have said here....I still don't quite understand how money is being made on Gamepass given the fact it constantly goes for so cheap (I think I have had it for 6 months for about ÂŁ2) and I assume MS pay significantly for the games to appear on the service. Would love some sort of deep dive into the economics of it all.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
My nervousness on price is ratcheting up. I have zero desire to get a Series X but I am feeling both consoles are going to be pretty damn expensive.

Will double down on what others have said here....I still don't quite understand how money is being made on Gamepass given the fact it constantly goes for so cheap (I think I have had it for 6 months for about ÂŁ2) and I assume MS pay significantly for the games to appear on the service. Would love some sort of deep dive into the economics of it all.

Phil says, you enjoy the service, and let him worry about the economics.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Microsoft are clearly making a much longer term ecosystem play here, rather than playing on the last battlefield in terms of hardware sales and existing retail revenue streams, they want to win in the next battlefield (as they see it) of online services and repeated subscriber revenue.
This has been pretty obvious for a while if you've been paying attention. Not even an Xbox gamer and I noticed it. Hell, pushing Live years ago could be seen in this same light. They've always had some ecosystem as a selling point; now they're just in a position where that ecosystem can feasibly take center stage. I think you'll see this pivot with other companies over time.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
this is basically the new "we have a product for people who can't get online" v2.0

Last edited:

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
a $300 lockhart over 24 months is $12.50 a month

double that for game pass ultimate to $25 a month

that's $25 a month (only 24 months) for a new next gen console, no large payment upfront, 200-300 games already on gamepass, weekly game releases, and a guaranteed aaa /aa first party game per month for no additional cost

or for ps5

a $400 / $500 console payment up front, no 200-300 games ready to play , and first party releases $40-$60 every time

now which option do you think mum is going to buy for her kids?
Even that I agree with you, this is kind of dishonest console warrior argument to convince yourself what box you bought.
Please, this is not necessary, it is not enough for people to analyze Phil's speech in a pessimistic way (or dishonest if you prefer) without necessity, we do not need the "other side" attacking too.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Gamepass can be a huge deal with this new times ahead. If they do the right marketing with the new console they can have an advantage.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I get the marketing game here but I would be so hesitant to buy an Xbox at this point. They so clearly want to be out of the hardware business and just focus on services and software.
Explain the existence of Series X and a potential Series ? (Lockhart) then. Why would a company that wants to be out of the hardware business drop hundreds of millions on console hardware R&D?

Serious question, how many of you actually took economics classes in university?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Makes sense.

It's actually more profitable for them to either have someone just continue paying for GamePass with their existing Xbox or buy an Xbox One instead of buying a Series X anyway.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This isn't surprising, even if MS/Sony can produce the same amount of console this year than they planned, disposable income will likely be at an all time low for a large amount of the population, they're not going to want to produce expensive products that could potentially sit on the shelf longer than expected. There's also the issue with people working from home, there's probably a high chance a lot of launch window releases will miss their target, if that happens it just adds to the worry that consoles could sit on shelves with little to sell people on them.

As for the services thing, we already watched that pushed massively this gen, Gamepass is going to be more important to MS than ever - other companies too, I fully expect to see the likes of EA, Ubisoft etc. push their services on to consoles (Premier and Uplay+) so it'll be very interesting to see which console manufacturer embraces that more, we know Sony were very reluctant to with EA Access.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I'd love to get Game Pass again but I am not sure if you can do the 3 years thingy again and a lot of the games there don't interest me.. but if the 3-year buy is possible I wouldn't mind paying lol
That deal was ridiculous. If they ever do it again i'll just subscribe for three years and purchase a Series X. In fact I think a lot of people would buy a series X with that type of deal running

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
What? Phil has stated on several occasions that consoles are still important for them, it's just not the only way they're doing business anymore. They want to provide people with CHOICE. Not sure how you came to that conclusion lol

Microsoft's approach is very "pro-consumer" imo, but not the one the hardcore gamer likes.
I don't get this either. They're focused on making the most powerful console this gen. How does that not appeal to the hardcore crowd?

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
User Banned (3 days): platform warring
I don't quite understand your point. MS has messaged the XSX as a premium machine that will cost premium money. If anything, MS's established policies have resonated with the current economic climate. In supporting the Xbox One family for the next 12 months or so, people do not necessarily have to shell out money for a new console. You make it sound like Spencer is using BLM to sell consoles or something...

He is using BLM to garner goodwill. "See how thoughtful we are with our next gen stratagy" when in reality it was the stratagy before covid.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is this All Access program monetized through a higher overall cost or monthly interest?

If it's just the cost of the console stretched out over 6 months that's a great deal.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I like Phil, I really do. It is one of the best thing that happened to this industry lately.

But please, don't use the pandemic to give a sense to your strategy decision and that it affected the launch. That's wrong and bad taste.

EDIT : Change the word "political" by "strategy"
What a bizarre response.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
This is another way of saying a non-asshole way of we have the console for you already. It's called the insert console on market. Get a second job etc.

?

If you can't afford the console this year because of a global pandemic, that's ok. That's what he essentially said.

Oh no get the pitchforks. Get out of here with that nonsense.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I think it's great that we're seeing three very distinctive approaches to the industry from Sony, Nintendo, and MS. Each brand seems to have something unique and brings its own sense of value to the table. There's a different focus and a different value proposition coming from all three companies. I find this refreshing.

We need to get away from an industry where there's constant dick measuring. These companies are now competing with their own unique approach, rather than "my box is better than your box". How awesome is that?
I've been thinking this for a while. The next logical step will be when hardware is released off cycle to one another, Nintendo already hit this circuit breaker with switch and it was a winning strategy.

Sony is doing a hardware priority approach
MS is doing an ecosystem priority approach
Nintendo is doing a Software /IP priority approach

That's not to say that they all aren't focused on the other things but you can clearly see what they value in how they talk about it.

We might be on the precipice of a post console war era and i for one am excited

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has been all about user engagement across all of their products for years now. Don't know why people would be surprised by that. It's probably one of the major things each org gets evaluated on.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Given the current economies I get it. I do think thier all access is thier ace in the hole though.

May 25, 2019
London
Even that I agree with you, this is kind of dishonest console warrior argument to convince yourself what box you bought.
Please, this is not necessary, it is not enough for people to analyze Phil's speech in a pessimistic way (or dishonest if you prefer) without necessity, we do not need the "other side" attacking too.

I didn't really read it that way. It's pointing out how Game Pass and All Access create a much lower barrier to entry to new owners as you don't have to worry about upfront costs or a dearth of content to play.

MJKadhim

Mar 7, 2019
Sweden / Södermanland
User Banned (1 day): Console wars
He already told us why he's here anyways.
Sure i told you guys why i am here becuase theres no reason buying Xbox console nowdays espically if you own a PC :)
Even if you dont have a PC yet they didnt release a good game this gen by their studios. trust me i have their X but its pointless to have it if you own a Playstation system.. better in third party games and first party games. and what he said he trying so hard to get people playing into hes pass and he dosent care about the Series X, its so sad since i loved their 360 console they had good exlusives and third party

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Explain the existence of Series X and a potential Series ? (Lockhart) then. Why would a company that wants to be out of the hardware business drop hundreds of millions on console hardware R&D?

Serious question, how many of you actually took economics classes in university?
Trust me, they will sell plenty of units to recoup R&D cost, what's the fewest units an Xbox has ever sold?
But they are telling you they don't care if you buy it year one, also you can get all our first party games on PC and they want you to be able to play all new games on old hardware.
By the way, this is probably the right play. The services industry is probably easier sledding than hardware and is the future most likely, they just want their hardware to build a sustainable base of users.
This is pretty obvious, I don't know why you are being so naive.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
He is using BLM to garner goodwill. "See how thoughtful we are with our next gen stratagy" when in reality it was the stratagy before covid.
What are you talking about? These points were being brought up when asked about it during covid. If you think these questions are about Phil, Microsoft, or videogames they're not. Also every business interview right now includes talking about the pandemic.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
What's dishonest about it? Xbox is creating an extremely strong value proposition for consumers. There's nothing console warrior about that.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
The monthly payment part is odd because where I live this is basically the norm for everything, but it's nice to hear from them about this specially when execs liked to say "who sells 10M first wins", etc.

Btw, I like when execs say "affordable", reminds me of Steve Jobs.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Is this All Access program monetized through a higher overall cost or monthly interest?

If it's just the cost of the console stretched out over 6 months that's a great deal.

No interest, but it's slightly more expensive that buying it straight up because you're paying full price for Game Pass Ultimate with the program. It's basically a phone model, though.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Sure i told you guys why i am here becuase theres no reason buying Xbox console nowdays espically if you own a PC :)
Even if you dont have a PC yet they didnt release a good game this gen by their studios. trust me i have their X but its pointless to have it if you own a Playstation system.. better in third party games and first party games. and what he said he trying so hard to get people playing into hes pass and he dosent care about the Series X, its so sad since i loved their 360 console they had good exlusives and third party
This is console war bullshit and you should be ashamed of yourself

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I didn't really read it that way. It's pointing out how Game Pass and All Access create a much lower barrier to entry to new owners as you don't have to worry about upfront costs or a dearth of content to play.
But do you need to make the comparison with the PS5? The PS5 being used as the ''bad option'' certainly gave a tone of console warrior in the post, I don't deny that the point is fair, I even agree in parts, but I couldn't see it in the same way as yours.