• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoldToIna

Banned
Jun 5, 2019
SEGA, just like Konami, is not just a video games dev/pub in decline. They deal with amusement centers, UFO catchers, pachinko etc. From what I understand, SEGA's pachinko business is larger than their physical and digital video games publishing combined. They are not a great fit for Microsoft. They'd be paying for other things than what they want to accomplish.
Why wouldn't Xbox want all of this?

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
It's inevitable they will be looking for the best locations for dev hubs. I would imagine they are (and have been) in talks with several devs already.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buy Playstation.

The next inside Xbox can just be a live feed of Phi at Sony HQ to sign the paperwork. Like when Shane bought WCW.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Kadokawa Dwango Corp.
  • Japan
    Jun 11, 2019
  • Market cap (USD)
    953.85M

Microsoft could offer them maybe 175- 250 million and have from software if they wanted I like them how they are so I wouldn't hope for it to happen

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
The people wanting them to buy From for the "salt" or "entertainment" shock value are kinda pathetic. Get a life.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please buy Mistwalker so they can make actual games again

Yep, better than nothing.

And I don't get the negative posts. Microsoft was doing great this past year and with the collaboration between them and Nintendo, they made a lot of things possible. I trust them more and more again. They know by now that the focus should be on the consumer.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly would prefer them to build a Japanese studio from the ground up, but if they bought a studio it would be great if they got From Software or Platinum Games.
I completely disagree. From Software and Platinum Games need to remain independent so that we can have more multiplatform games from both.

Microsoft needs to find a smaller studio (Mistwalker please) or build their own Japanese/Asian studio from scratch.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should buy a smaller studio that actually needs the money and budget Microsoft can provide to survive or fulfill their potential.

I don't know who that is but it sure isn't From or Platinum (If it was Platinum from 5 years ago then maybe).

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yeah but this cycle of hyping up a MS buyout only for it to be some really lower level dev that's been struggling is pretty obvious now.

I thought they'd pick up Capcom or EA or Konami even at some point, but it's clear it'll be much smaller potatoes than that.
But it's not Phil that has been hyping big acquisitions though

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The thing is I don't know what Japanese dev would really have value added to them by being bought to MS. Anyone reliant on a significant Japanese fan base is going to lose value by being restricted to Xbox and PC, even if they get the bonus of MS funding. They spent a good chunk of the 360 years trying to make some Japanese Xbox exclusives stick and they just wouldn't.

FROM pretty clearly has their pick of publishers at this point, and has no financial need to look to sell. Platinum could be a bit shakier, but for MS you're paying a lot for talent that could just leave, and not getting much IP that they own at all. If you go bigger and try to get a midsized publisher like Capcom or Sega, you're going to end up killing a lot of their Japanese-specific IP. Like, does Sega continue making Yakuza if they can't put them out on PlayStation in Japan? How much does Atlus' budget get cut if they're only releasing Xbox and PC versions? Does Capcom keep making, say, Ace Attorney if it can't release on Nintendo platforms? Same with any of the potential niche JRPG developers they could buy. You'd pay their current value to get them, only to see their sales drop by half once they're only releasing in the Xbox ecosystem.
Consoles in general are a small fraction of the Japanese market these days. Dunno if they will able to convert the mobile users to switch to their games, but i feel xcloud is their best shot

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there's enough salt in the world if they bought FromSoft or Platinum.

It would be glorious. Microsoft would be very smart to add a Japanese studio to their portfolio. I've always maintained they should despite their lack of presence in Japan. You cannot ignore Japanese games and exclusives if you want to have success in the West.

I could see a potential Sega purchase. Just a hunch I've had throughout the years.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I'd kinda want to see the outrage if they bought From or Platinum but would prefer them to stay independent obviously.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Nobody touch From, Platinum or sega, they have to stay independent and multiplatform.

mueske

Apr 11, 2019
I'd torch both my Xbox One and laptop, and I'd go out and buy a Mac if they bought From. hahaha

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any small Japanese studio that fits the bill? MS is not gonna buy a big one like From or Platinum. Look at what they have been buying during the last year. The only big one was Playground and they already had a relationship with them.
A dev like Toylogic would fit the bill imo. They are smaller, have a history with MS because of happy wars and happy dungeons

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we stop asking trillion dollar companies to buy studios?

Serious cult-like behavior going on in that regard.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that people think that From Software is independent is crazy. I don't even play their games but I already did a simple search on wikipedia years ago to see that they're owned. lol

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
SEGA, just like Konami, is not just a video games dev/pub in decline. They deal with amusement centers, UFO catchers, pachinko etc. From what I understand, SEGA's pachinko business is larger than their physical and digital video games publishing combined. They are not a great fit for Microsoft. They'd be paying for other things than what they want to accomplish.

I'd love to see MS fund a new studio in Japan if there are domestic resources for development available there.

It's actually pretty common for a company to sell off part of their business and focus on the most profitable segment. Sega could keep the Pachinko with rights to all sega properties for those machines, Microsoft gets the game division.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Once Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft gets word that the other is buying a publisher it will be like sharks sensing blood in the water.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They will lose any sense of honor and integrity they had left in Asia if they do this. MS, if you're reading... Stay the hell away from these Japanese studios. They aren't for you, and they never will be. You had a good E3 but enough is enough. Stop it. Don't moneyhat this. You may just lose all the love you've earned this year.

Please don't take these studios away from real gamers.

Good meme.

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
They're not "buying" anybody as big as From or Platinum. That said, there is a bit of history with Platinum, albeit troubled.

Also, these are two-way street deals. Mid-tier companies who they have a history with and need some kind of financial stability. That history is important. Note Phil name-checking Kung Fu Chaos as a shared DNA with Ninja Theory, etc.

Honestly, look at their studios. It's not as predatory as some make it out to be, and they've been holistic about their approach:

Created Studios

- Turn10
- The Coalition
- The Initiative
- Xbox Global Publishing
- Age of Empires team

Second-Party Studios (consummated partnerships with history)

- Playground Games (Forza Horizon)
- Undead Labs (State of Decay)
- Compulsion Games (We Happy Few early access)

Purchased Studios (which people seem happy about)

- Rare (people kind of accept this as part of Xbox now)
- Minecraft / Mojang (good use of brand; kept it away from Notch)

Outright purchases... but all with history

- Obsidian (prior history; cancelled "Stormlands" game)
- InXile (history with Obsidian)
- Ninja Theory (history with Kung Fu Chaos, etc.)
- Double Fine (history with Psychonauts, etc.)

I dunno. I get that people are sort of frothing, thinking of what MS needs to do, but every time these threads come up, it's hyperbole. They had a huge gap in their first-party studios, and now they're going to be a content spigot for Game Pass. They need studios, but they're not just going to buy CDPR, From, EA, Rockstar and call it a day. They need a healthy industry.

None of the purchases, from where I sit, are completely predatory. Two-way streets with companies who had some kind of history. Sony has done the same thing with half of their studios, some of them consummating long-term partnerships with them.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Can we stop asking trillion dollar companies to buy studios?

Serious cult-like behavior going on in that regard.

Disagreed. There's a lot of value in platform holders acquiring a developer, depending on the developer in question. Publishers like Square Enix or developers like From Software? The value proposition would be solely in Microsoft's court given that they're more than healthy at the moment, so these aren't developer acquisitions that would be good for the industry.

But developers like Mistwalker, Grounding Inc, Silicon Inc, Valhalla Game Studios, etc? I think these types of acquisitions are absolutely fair game, and would a benefit to Microsoft, the developers and the industry at large. A lot of these studio have the potential to make great games, and an acquisition by Microsoft would give them the financial backing to grow their studios - and develop titles they otherwise would not have had the chance to make.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should buy a smaller studio that actually needs the money and budget Microsoft can provide to survive or fulfill their potential.

I don't know who that is but it sure isn't From or Platinum (If it was Platinum from 5 years ago then maybe).

Microsoft has been gathering studios who have either already worked directly with them (Playground) or are on the smaller size and don't want to be independant any longer. They certianly won't go after a studio whose main sales are on the PS4 and Switch because that is too much to pay for just to make them Xbox/Windows only. Anyone know of any decent PC Japanese developers?

I'm not sure of any Japanese studio that has some pedigree that needs assistance. All I know is if it's anyone that has released a worthwhile game will be met with a lot of resistance but I say good because some people need to get out of their comfort zone and consider Xbox an actual option and many still don't.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Grounding inc would be ideal. History with Xbox (Futatsugi used to be the head of MSGS Japan, White Owls' Swery made D4), plus I don't think we'll see the same fanboy backlash as with other studios with strong ties to Sony and Nintendo.

Global Publishing could also make some deals for exclusive Sega, Capcom or Platinum games.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Console Warring
Microsoft buying Falcom would be hilarious. I would very much enjoy reading the threads if that happens.
Sums up a lot of the Xbox audience regarding Japanese games PERFECTLY.
And it comes up so often. They don't want them for the games, and never have, they want them for the thread reactions and to spite Playstation.

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
Buy Capcom. Capcom needs the Financial backing and for a cool $2 billion it seems like a bargain.
Game Pass would get a ton of AAA day one titles with Capcom in the bag.

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
And it comes up so often. They don't want them for the games, and never have, they want them for the thread reactions and to spite Playstation.

I'm definitely not the "xbox audience". I just bought Trails of Cold Steel II last week, I also bought Ys: Origin from Limited run and Ys8 on the PS4/Switch. But I love a good salt show on the internet. There's not many more entertaining things than that.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disagreed. There's a lot of value in platform holders acquiring a developer, depending on the developer in question. Publishers like Square Enix or developers like From Software? The value proposition would be solely in Microsoft's court given that they're more than healthy at the moment, so these aren't developer acquisitions that would be good for the industry.

But developers like Mistwalker, Grounding Inc, Silicon Inc, Valhalla Game Studios, etc? I think these types of acquisitions are absolutely fair game, and would a benefit to Microsoft, the developers and the industry at large. A lot of these studio have the potential to make great games, and an acquisition by Microsoft would give them the financial backing to grow their studios - and develop titles they otherwise would not have had the chance to make.
Jesus Christ imagine actively supporting monopolization tactics.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

What an embarassing example of a console warrior persecution complex. The "Xbox audience never wanted Japanese games, and never have, they only want then to spite Playstation."

Like, holy shit. You really said that?

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely not the "xbox audience". I just bought Trails of Cold Steel II last week, I also bought Ys: Origin from Limited run and Ys8 on the PS4/Switch. But I love a good salt show on the internet. There's not many more entertaining things than that.
Then isn't that just trolling?

What an embarassing example of a console warrior persecution complex. The "Xbox audience never wanted Japaneae games, and never have, they only want then to spite Playstation."

Then why is it very often the case that the desire is for thread fires and salt, and I'm hardly the first person to notice it in the thread. It's one of the more common posts. And I didn't say all, I said a lot, some people do genuinely want them.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What an embarassing example of a console warrior persecution complex. The "Xbox audience never wanted Japanese games, and never have, they only want then to spite Playstation."

Probably the same type of person who says I will never buy an Xbox because they don't have Japanese content, then they buy a Japanese studio and it's like, noooo! How dare you!

Maybe Microsoft will do Nintendo a favor and buy Metro Studios. Not a Japanese developer but one who has the ability to cater to Japanese gamers like Rare was supposed to.