• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Spencer said, "RPGs are stepping up for us" and recalls when Xbox had a number of exclusives in the genre. "When I think Mass Effect 1, which I worked on, Jade Empire, Fable — I remember we had really staked out RPGs as something that was important."
With the acquisitions of Obsidian and inXile into Xbox Game Studios, it seems that RPGs are still important to Xbox and that a focus on the genre is still there, "it's nice with The Outer Worlds coming out, Wasteland — I think RPG is an area we purposely focused on and wanted to do more."

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Good! Much like Sonys focus on narrative driven single player games, I don't think Microsoft can overdo it here due to the fact western 3rd party publishers have really stepped back in this genre.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Well they could have figured that out a while ago. But better now than never.
Give me Pillars of Eternity 3.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That's 2 out 3 console makers putting a heavy 1st party commitment to the genre then. WRPGs from Xbox and JRPGs from Nintendo.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Xbox has always had a great focus on wrpgs. Glad to see them continue that.

Also Phil worked on Mass Effect 1? I never knew that.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a area they can do good work in.

Bioware has been squeezing out turds since after Mass Effect 2 and Betheada isnt a safe bet anymore either. Everyone else is making Ubisoft style games that have a tech tree but sont scratch thr RPG itch.

MS saving the WRPG would be a fun unexpected twist.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even at their worst days, Microsoft's first parties usually delivered mechanically impressive games. Even a disappointing Forza like 5, a confusing Halo like 4, an uninspired Gears like 4, a hit or miss launch like Sea Of Thieves... they all had an extremely polished and impressive gameplay core beneath them all. They now own studios that are used to making quality RPGs but with relatively low production values. Microsoft's input is changint that, just look at the insane increase in scope and looks of Wastelands 3 from 2. It's something I expect from a The Outer Worlds sequel too (Microsoft had little to do with the current game's development), and even more so by Playground Games' upcoming RPG which will probably be one of the most ambitious (technically, if not else) games in the genre ever.

It may or may not be a brilliant game, but what I've been missing in so many otherwise great RPGs is the fun gameplay loop. Most RPGs feel slow and clunky to me, so action-RPGs like Diablo 3 and Kingdoms of Amalur were the ones that truly addicted me because their gameplay was glorious on top of deep RPG mechanics. What I feel is that Microsoft now has some of the best chances of delivering a series of RPG games that feel and play well, some of the best games in the industry at that. They may not necessarily always deliver the best products all around, but I feel that their philosophy might help in creating multiple memorable RPGs.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
oyD22D8.gif

MAKE IT HAPPEN PHIL. THE CYCLE MUST REPEAT ITSELF.

Ddwzc4fUQAAlV5n.jpg

Nov 15, 2018
While I don't mind action rpgs or open world rpgs, I wouldn't mind them having a studio work on a western made turn based rpg similar to jrpgs like pokemon, smt, dragon quest, etc. That's a genre completely missing from xbox.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
"RPGs are stepping up for us"
"I think RPG is an area we purposely focused on and wanted to do more."
"I do think RPG is an area we should focus."
?!?!

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
For me, the original Xbox was about Morrowind, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Fable, Halo, and Ninja Gaiden. Followed by Mass Effect in the early 360 gen.

Get back to those roots, Microsoft.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
yooooooooou fucks

pineapple cuts through the strong smokey meaty bacon and ham flavors

pineapple is a great pizza topping

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you'd want anything out of modern Sakaguchi. Man is extremely past his prime and on his way to retirement.
I sure do. Outside of him never releasing a bad console game, Terra Battle was even pretty interesting for a mobile one.

Mind you, I 99% expect any Japanese thing Microsoft does will be headed up by Tabata and of zero interest to me.
Terra Battle 2 was awful and didn't even last six months.
Yeah, I didn't even touch Terra Battle 2 :P

Jul 17, 2018
Damn I don't want to be disappointed like I was with their E3 but GOD DAMN this is what I WANT TO HEAR! The Original Xbox and early days of the 360 was an RPG haven!

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
You are doing good so far boys. I'm enjoying The Outer Worlds more than I would like to admit.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you'd want anything out of modern Sakaguchi. Man is extremely past his prime and on his way to retirement.
His last round of big budget console rpgs (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Last Story) were pretty good and I liked the smaller handheld experiments too (ASH, Away, Blue Dragon spinoffs). Yeah that was awhile back now but I still wouldn't say no to a Blue Dragon 2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
His last round of big budget console rpgs (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Last Story) were pretty good and I liked the smaller handheld experiments too (ASH, Away, Blue Dragon spinoffs). Yeah that was awhile back now but I still wouldn't say no to a Blue Dragon 2.

Keep in mind, all of those were developed by companies that don't exist anymore. Mistwalker is not a development studio for console games.