• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Isn't Halo Infinite a GaaS? Meaning it will be episodic in nature?

They could easily drop the single player to start and just launch with multiplayer and I don't think anyone would care.

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
Phil Spencer is the king of talk.
After the last few years, I've started to view his patter the same as any car salesman so will take it with a pinch of salt.
Phil is quickly becoming the DJ Khaled of the gaming industry. Hype man for mediocrity.

If you can't see the changes that have been made under Phil for the benefit of Xbox users then I don't know.

Maybe you just don't want to acknowledge them.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017

They could easily drop the single player to start and just launch with multiplayer and I don't think anyone would care.

*points at Anthem*

one of the hardest lessons companies are learning from this gen is that GaaS needs a strong foundation at launch to drum up interest.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Same but it is expected some will push this further in order to suit their own needs. I've come to the realization that release dates don't mean much at all anymore and launch line-ups are never really official until very close to the day they occur. Now mix the pandemic into all of this means more shuffling of dates and unknowns.

Phil said he will not rush Halo Infinite months ago to meet the deadline of the new hardware and hinted that software was being impacted by the pandemic. That's why it was bizarre they felt the need to show the game in its current state and not think there would be some negative feedback. Guess they didn't think the reactions would be that bad?

I don't really think they had a choice? All the other XGS stuff shown outside of Psychonaughts 2 was in-engine/cinematic/CGI. And given that Halo, at that point, was still intended for launch it would have just been really strange for them to not show gameplay in their big next-gen reveal showcase.

Even though he was priming the community for delays way back when, I doubt the decision to actually delay the game was made until a week or so ago. From experience I can tell you that teams will try gun for a specific date until it's literally unviable.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes i will say it but fan noise is a big thing for me going into Next Gen. It is impossible for me to play on my PS4 pro without headphones. I am simple tired of it...
I'm not even considering a ps5 because of this. I know Cerny briefly brought it up during that event but it's not enough for me at this point to believe it will be any different. I believe if the noise was a priority concern to fix it would be more apparent at this point. I'm just still failing to see the extent of it even acknowledged by devs or Sony.

Jul 25, 2020
"We've got some more… really great, strong, announcements to come about things… that'll be coming to Game Pass."

After him saying that he felt "good" after seeing the Playstation event, I think I'll keep my expectations real low and wait to see what these announcements are o_O

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
"We've got some more… really great, strong, announcements to come about things… that'll be coming to Game Pass."

After him saying that he felt "good" after seeing the Playstation event, I think I'll keep my expectations real low and wait to see what these announcements are o_O

Yeah, what worries me is the quality of the games are gonna go down the pan, as they're knowingly developing for game pass they don't need to worry about appealing to someone as a £50 purchase.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020

I don't believe it's ever been referred to as episodic. They did suggest there could be campaign DLC, but the idea has always been for the game to have a full campaign. The GaaS aspects would largely be in the multiplayer.

bdsams

Executive Editor of Petri.com and Thurrott.com
Verified
Apr 23, 2019
I appreciate 343 roasting me when my info was more accurate than the community manager's info.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
This actually confirms the rumors we've been hearing about them trying to launch MP only

MS/Phil definitely knew this game wasn't going to make it before the XGS show, i guess they figured the backlash of not showing the game would have been worse than the craig memes.
What a shitshow. damned if you do damned if you don't lol
They showed CGI for everything else, nothing was stopping them from doing the same or even showing an in-engine trailer but alas

May 10, 2019
"we leave the high pitched whining sounds to the fanboys" he didn't continue..

200w.gif

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, from trying to spin the limits of their cross gen strategy as a pro consumer thing to try to get good feedback, to bullshit like "I feel confident after Sony's show"....confident about what? That their own studios won't be ready until 2022 and their big game was nowhere ready to be launched this year? These are things he perfectly knew.
Also not sure what to say about this:

Halo in 2021 won't change plans too much because it was all about GamePass anyway....surely a massive marketing launch campaign focused around buying Halo and the new console wasn't being planned at all :P

This is what blows my mind, how did they not look at that gameplay demo and say "this isnt going to work" when anyone can clearly see that it was not what people were expecting to see from a pillar franchise 4 months before launch on "the world's most powerful console". 90% of the internet could tell it needed a delay... how come MS didnt?

Their entire July event was centered around Halo, I have to believe that the Xbox folks have eyeballs so i can only assume they were taking a gamble that people would be so hyped they wouldn't notice the issues or they could talk their way around it. The problem is their PR isn't strong enough to sidestep that and engaged gamers/consumers aren't blind.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Goes back to playing Last of Us 2
This comparasion is thrown all the time and doesn't even makes sense, TLOU MP is good and have its fanbase but it's not even close as the same league of Halo MP, at least in terms of importance to the core game and the franchise.

Not that I think delaying the MP would kill the Halo or something, but what is the logic in putting the impact of both games releasing without MP side by side.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
This comparasion is thrown all the time and doesn't even makes sense, TLOU MP is good and have its fanbase but it's not even close as the same league of Halo MP, at least in terms of importance to the core game and the franchise.

Not that I think delaying the MP would kill the Halo or something, but what is the logic in putting the impact of both games releasing without MP side by side.
Wouldn't that work the other way, if Halo MP is in a different league then shouldn't it be able to stand alone?

Personally my days of being able to keep up with Halo MP are long behind me, so if splitting them apart would have meant I could play the campaign earlier, I'd have been fine with that, even though I 100% understand that it's for the best of both modes to delay.

bdsams

Verified
Apr 23, 2019

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
In my weekly podcast, I said that MP would not be shipping with SP this fall , 343 came out and said my info was wrong and I took a lot of shit for this...a lot in DMs, emails, forum posts, news posts...a lot. And as it turns out: Halo MP was considered /still being considered to not ship with the SP part of the game ...and it is not shipping this fall, exactly as I had said.

I've been following you since Windows Phone days. You are the best MS insider, Brad. Keep on delivering.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
If they delayed the launch of SX I would not be surprised, nor would I think it would be a bad move. I'm sure they cannot delay the console but it really sounds like they just are not ready.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Delaying halo was the right move, but launching your new system without a single new first party game doesn't exactly make me feel great about buying a series x this fall. 343 had 5 years...and something tells me this is not a short delay, given that all they said was 2021. I fully expect this game to come out next fall given their wording. Im glad they delayed it, but how did microsoft have literally nothing else? How were they so woefully unprepared for a console launch?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
In my weekly podcast, I said that MP would not be shipping with SP this fall , 343 came out and said my info was wrong and I took a lot of shit for this...a lot in DMs, emails, forum posts, news posts...a lot. And as it turns out: Halo MP was considered /still being considered to not ship with the SP part of the game ...and it is not shipping this fall, exactly as I had said.
Brad anymore insight on this? We have gotten bits and pieces about how 343 was having a rough time developing Halo Infinite and the reveal reaction was just the last straw. Is the engine the problem and it was just compounded with the WFH situation?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its not episodic in a traditional sense. Largest SP campaign in the franchise history. But maybe like MCC where they bolt on new games. The way MCC online community is one, shared across multiple Halo's is what i assume they're speaking about.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
My One X was quiet. Then I played games like RDR2 and Horizon 4 on it and it got real loud real quick.

There's something wrong with your Xbox One X.

There was something wrong with my launch Project Scorpio Xbox One X, as well. It was loud when playing certain games. It sounded like wind rushing through an open window when the fans kicked in. I took it back and got a different one that has been super quiet ever since. The fans don't even ramp up.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Good to hear that the new console is quiet for those who are getting a XsX. It's pretty disappointing how loud the PS4/Pro is, so it's good to hear MS is still focused on not shipping jet engines to people's houses.

Excited to hear more about GP updates, assuming PC benefits.

Shame about Halo, that they weren't able to finish the game in the timeline they'd set. The delay is a good thing if the game would not be complete or ready at launch without it. I'm pleasantly surprised they are doing so, given the potential impact on the XsX launch.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

I'm surprised they actually responded to it at all, because for the longest time they wouldn't comment on leaks and rumors, which was basically a Microsoft policy.

Do you by any chance have any more insights? I just want to know when we can realistically expect things related to Halo Infinite again and I assume many others want to know the same.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like most freshly launched consoles. Nothing new.

not having a single first party game or a showcase game at launch, and leaning into the consoles ability to play old games better as its defining feature this holiday makes this system look bad. Microsoft fucked up. They were not prepared for this system launch.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
Phil is such a charmer.
But he also said he felt good about what they were going to show after SoP, he also said current-gen was not going to hold back next-gen, he says a lot of things.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South

There's nothing "wrong" with it, it's just a subproduct of the Hovis Method. Some X1Xs will just run hotter and louder than others because they'll need to be running at a much higher voltage to get the same clocks. X1X has a pretty oversized cooling solution for most of the chips, but some of them will stress even this setup.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Wouldn't that work the other way, if Halo MP is in a different league then shouldn't it be able to stand alone?

Personally my days of being able to keep up with Halo MP are long behind me, so if splitting them apart would have meant I could play the campaign earlier, I'd have been fine with that, even though I 100% understand that it's for the best of both modes to delay.
Tbh now that you said this, and with the MP being F2P, my opinion about this changed and I agree with you.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017

There was something wrong with my launch Project Scorpio Xbox One X, as well. It was loud when playing certain games. It sounded like wind rushing through an open window when the fans kicked in. I took it back and got a different one that has been super quiet ever since. The fans don't even ramp up.

Maybe. All was well for a while. It's anything that pushes the console at all.

It's not PS4 Pro levels of loud, but it's enough to notice. Too late either way, I bought it at launch.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phil is a really cool dude so i don't like dunking on him, but yea his hype never really meets expectations.

And it's sad the only thing they can hype is GP announcements. People want that next gen mind blowing gameplay Phil.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
i get the feeling that even if we werent in a pandemic, they still wouldnt have had another first party game ready and infinite still would have been delayed. Covid not an excuse for everything.
That's just a feeling and it's impossible to prove, or disprove.

What does Sony have for launch, other than Spider-Man which is similar scope to uncharted lost legacy.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
This is what blows my mind, how did they not look at that gameplay demo and say "this isnt going to work" when anyone can clearly see that it was not what people were expecting to see from a pillar franchise 4 months before launch on "the world's most powerful console". 90% of the internet could tell it needed a delay... how come MS didnt?

Their entire July event was centered around Halo, I have to believe that the Xbox folks have eyeballs so i can only assume they were taking a gamble that people would be so hyped they wouldn't notice the issues or they could talk their way around it. The problem is their PR isn't strong enough to sidestep that and engaged gamers/consumers aren't blind.

I agree that showing this gameplay demo was not a good idea but in their defense, regarding the positive/negative ratios on Youtube, they weren't in a Battlefield V or Infinite Warfare situation where it was clearly not what fans were expecting/wanting to see (though the graphics weren't the problem here).
But that's clear that the game took a hit between the E3 2018 reception and the gameplay demo.

COD Infinite Warfare reveal: 14% positive ratio
Battlefield V reveal : 39% positive ratio
Halo Infinite gameplay reveal : 84% positive ratio
Halo Infinite announcement E3 2018 : 97% positive ratio

I think the delay is both a combination of not enough time to finish the game (and wanting to avoid another Halo 5), dealing with the visual issues / reception about graphics (not enough time to put ray-tracing before launch) and wanting Infinite to be the best Halo ever. They probably realized that facing the November deadline while being behind schedule and having hundreds of persons working from home was not sustainable (for the team and for the game).

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Interesting. Did the fans slow down shortly after on the problematic one?
I have a Project Scorpio XB1X and the fans definitely ramp up on certain games but it goes down just as quickly so it's more like it's just huffing out some hot air occasionally and that's that. Super satisfied with the noise level tbh, if this is an issue and it could be even less noise it would be kinda insane.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil is quickly becoming the DJ Khaled of the gaming industry. Hype man for mediocrity.
What is he hyping here? He's stating fact re Halo and providing insight about the future. Xbox X is known for how quiet it is, stating that for the new console isnt based on unproven history. Gamepass is his baby that has become a killer app in its own right, and Xbox has pivoted to become a eco system across PC/console/cloud, these arent just words its being enjoyed right now, all spearheaded by him. So what he's hyping here that isnt based on previous achievements?

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017

Phil is such a charmer.
But he also said he felt good about what they were going to show after SoP, he also said current-gen was not going to hold back next-gen, he says a lot of things.

Not to crap on the thread, but between a month ago and the decision to delay this week, it was the exact same product they were planning to release this fall. The only difference was the disappointing public reveal. Microsoft knew it wasn't looking good then. This newest "honest" take from Phil seems very hollow, to save face with the consumer.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I appreciate 343 roasting me when my info was more accurate than the community manager's info.

Keep doing your thing. When journalists stop giving us well-sourced scoops, even in entertainment, we're bound to be made someone's PR fool. If MS thought shipping multiplayer separate was simply a "messaging" problem, they're in a lot more trouble than I thought.

Not to crap on the thread, but between a month ago and the decision to delay this week, it was the exact same product they were planning to release this fall. The only difference was the disappointing public reveal. Microsoft knew it wasn't looking good then. This newest "honest" take from Phil seems very hollow, to save face with the consumer.

I think what has a lot of people worried is that MS may have thought the walkthrough that didn't really show any open world stuff (other than the brief look at the map, any multiplayer details, any new enemies, any new vehicles, and didn't have any "next gen" graphics effects implemented yet (in fact, looking kinda rough compared to most 2020 shooters), would blow people's minds.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's just a feeling and it's impossible to prove, or disprove.

What does Sony have for launch, other than Spider-Man which is similar scope to uncharted lost legacy.

They've had years to get ready for this console launch. They put all their eggs in the halo basket without prepping anything else and it didn't pan out. Because they put all their eggs in that basket and didn't spend the time prepping another major first party game for their console launch, they are now stuck in this situation. They didn't plan for this launch properly.

as for sony idk what is going on, maybe covid did affect their launch line up but at least they had gameplay to show, which already tells me that those games are far ahead of where Microsoft's first party games are.

bdsams

Verified
Apr 23, 2019
I'm surprised they actually responded to it at all, because for the longest time they wouldn't comment on leaks and rumors, which was basically a Microsoft policy.

Do you by any chance have any more insights? I just want to know when we can realistically expect things related to Halo Infinite again and I assume many others want to know the same.

I don't know when the game will come out other than their stated 2021 at this point. What I need to do is go back and look at all my notes about Halo development that I didn't write-up and piece this story together about how we got to this announcement.