• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

From the segment where they're talking about Xbox Series X:
Yeah, we saw Ori and Dirt at 120fps and the frame rate and feel of games is something that you're really going to feel at launch with Series X. I'm really impressed by the frame rates we've seen on backward compatible games from the devs and the back compat team. Focusing on the investment gamers have made in Xbox and making sure that continues, whether it's the controllers you already own, the games that you already own, respecting a gamer's relationship with our product is just critically important to me and is something that's become a pillar for the team.
I'm really excited and encouraged to talk a lot more about it, which should be August. I think August we'll have more to say.
Time stamp: 18:30

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose this is August now:

giphy.gif

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I personally think investing in 120fps is an absolute waste of resources. Which portion of the market have access to those screens?

EDIT: I am talking about games development, Resetera users can spend their money on whatever they want lmao

Last edited:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shinobi comment was encouraging too. Greater frequency of next gen news in August compared to the last 2.

We need a smartdelivery showcase with details on enhancements Phil. Want to see side by side FH4/Gears 5 on XSX.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
So many people are gonna boast about 120 fps while still playing on incompatible tvs and not even noticing lol

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I think the next month will be the "big showdown".
It will answer the big question: "Who will go first with the price announcement?"

Nov 8, 2017
I personally think investing in 120fps is an absolute waste of resources. Which portion of the market have access to those screens?

My 2017 Sony TV can do 120 hz @ 1080p or 60hz @ 4k.

2019 and 2020 LG OLEDs can take advantage. Starting this year, a large number of other TVs will too - Sony's X900H / X90H this year for example and quite a few high end Samsungs, and by next year more or less every medium or high end TV released will be able to do it. The panels have been able to do it for years, it's been a display bandwidth limitation, which the HDMI 2.1 ports are resolving.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That moment he realized he might slipped up haha. Then realizes. Oh wait i am the boss haha

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
I couldn't care less than about frame rates on previous games. Show me what next gen looks like, if it's something other than old games at 120fps

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Which portion of the market had access to HDR screens in 2013 when PS4 launched? What portion of the market had access to HD screens when Xbox 360 launched?

Quote from the FCC chairman in 2005 (the year 360 launched):

People are selling their second mortgage to buy an HDTV set!

120fps is much more achievable in 2020. When I bought my current TV a year ago you could buy mid range sets that had 120fps support.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Their backwards compatibility efforts can't get praised enough. Such awesome work by their teams.

I really hope to see more soon, by both platform holders, there is still so much we don't know!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They're big on the 'feel' message.

honestly I'm not sure emphasising the controllers you already own is that interesting. I'd be ok buying a new controller if it had new useful features, with BC where possible. I'd have really liked to have seen gyro in Xbox just so it might have gotten more traction with third parties.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Feel like pure crap just want e3 back 😢

no seriously we should have been talking about our preorders being paid off by now. 2020 sucks

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
How much do you think they are investing exactly?
I meant investing when you are optimizing or developing a game, if you focus on reaching such high framerates, you could use those resources in other graphical aspects, noticeable for the majority.

My comment has to do more with new games than with bc ones.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ding ding ding.

Fewer than 1% probably.
Not sure that matters, that number will rise and these games are being future proofed, that's a good thing regardless of where the market is currently. Sits in line with their living library that follows you. Who knows if Devs will be around to tweak thier games (or want to), sensible to do that whilst it's fresh in thier minds.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Really curious wich games we can see get that framerate boost.
Would love to see QB and Sunset Overdrive getting a boost.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which portion of the market had access to HDR screens in 2013 when PS4 launched? What portion of the market had access to HD screens when Xbox 360 launched?

120fps is much more achievable in 2020. When I bought my current TV a year ago you could buy mid range sets that had 120fps support.
Thank you for this post. Hard to not feel like a boomer when i read posts like the one you quoted. Making a list of features that were impacting a fragment of the userbase would be kinda long.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I meant investing when you are optimizing or developing a game, if you focus on reaching such high framerates, you could use those resources in other graphical aspects, noticeable for the majority.

But Phils comment was about BC games.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More and more will have access to 120Hz as people upgrade their TVs. It especially makes sense as an upgrade for games like Ori where they've already implemented high framerate support for PC.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
120 makes sense for BC titles.
I don't expect a lot of nextgen games to be 120, Forza being announced with 60 really said it all imo.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

I don´t think we are there yet at all. This forum is not representative of the whole market.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Expectations for both Sony & MS August Shows

Neither will be as long as their June/July shows but focus on features and other benefits of said products.
However there will be some new reveals but mostly a focus on expanded gameplay from titles not shown as much as they could've been (Miles Morales).

Don't see either of them have "E3" Pt. 2

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
120 makes sense for BC titles.
I don't expect a lot of nextgen games to be 120, Forza being announced with 60 really said it all imo.
As for first party, I think they are emphasizing "native 4K at 60fps", which you can't really do 120fps at native 4K for the vast majority of titles.

Third party I can see them pushing graphics over everything else, potentially at 30fps.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
Really curious wich games we can see get that framerate boost.
Would love to see QB and Sunset Overdrive getting a boost.

For me personally Sea of Thieves update is the most important as I'm currently leaning to postpone it until it gets RT and frame-rate upgrade.

It could be really important as I know I'm not alone with this wish and game is already huge.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Yes. Mine was about new games. His first line:

The sentences right after that put that line in context. Anyways I don't see whats bad about high framerates regardless.

Neither will be as long as their June/July shows but focus on features and other benefits of said products.
However there will be some new reveals but mostly a focus on expanded gameplay from titles not shown as much as they could've been (Miles Morales).

Yeah I also think it will be more service focused. For First Party we know Spider-Man for Sony and Halo for MS so far, right? At launch I mean.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
For me personally Sea of Thieves update is the most important as I'm currently leaning to postpone it until it gets RT and frame-rate upgrade.

It could be really important as I know I'm not alone with this wish and game is already huge.
yeah same for me, I just finally want 60 fps in SoT

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Oh that one gets for sure with a patch and more stuff added.
This is more games that work with BC and get a certain boost like some 360 games got a 4k boost.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be more surprised if there wasn't an event in August tbh. I think we're going to see more launch-focussed events, something MS in particular needs given how far out most of the games in their showcase seem to be.

State of Play is currently rumored for August 6, but has not been confirmed as of now.
Rumoured where?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017

I am still looking for the Part 1. Especially for MS.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well, personally, i prefer higher framerates, but i do understand your point. 60 fps is good enough for today's standars where people are still cool with 30 fps and motion blur.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
In a sense I'm glad that Xbox is heavily marketing 120fps stuff, because when the Xbox one first launched and was having technical challenges in comparisons we got a lot of "your eyes can't see above 24fps anyway" nonsense in the discourse and now that MS have a console to sell they're putting their weight behind frame rate and both journalists and fans are forced to acknowledge it making a difference. Similarly with 4K and "you realize it's all rendered to 1080p right?" I'm really glad we moved past all that garbage.