• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
You have 15 studios now. You've been on an impressive acquisition spree. Are you done now?

Phil Spencer:
No!

I do think we can sometimes get a little infatuated with putting a bunch of studio logos on a slide and that becomes the news. They're not trading cards. They're studios. And we want them to build great games. I love the fact we're here announcing three new IP, two from our internal studios. As I look forward, there's not a show I can look at where we're not gonna be announcing new games, just because of the breadth of studios we have. It's not really some kind of PR battle about how many new acquisitions we can put on stage. Because if we're not building great games, the acquisitions don't matter.

But are we done? I don't think so.

What are you looking for?

Phil Spencer:
I look at the geographic diversity of our studios. I love the fact we now have three studios here in the UK. You can go back decades... you could argue the UK is as strong as any country in terms of its impact on the history of video games. I love that we're here in such strength. Now we have studios in Canada, studios in other parts of the US. I think we have a hole in Asia. I've said that both to Matt and publicly. I would love to have more of an influence in our own first-party team from Asian creators. There's nothing that's imminent, so it's not a pre-announce of something. But if you just plotted where we are on the map with our first-party, that's a real opportunity for us.

I love the fact we can stand here and announce Yakuza and Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy coming. That's through third-party relationships, which take time. And we've been really focused on that. But I think we could have stronger first-party creation capability there. We have in the past and I think we should again.

www.eurogamer.net

The big XO19 interview: Xbox boss Phil Spencer on Game Pass, streaming and Project Scarlett

At Microsoft's big XO19 event in London yesterday, Xbox boss Phil Spencer told the gathered press all about Game Pass, …

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand that's great news for Xbox fans but I honestly hope they improve how the manage studios rather than just their studio acquisition rate.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Hopefully they continue the trend of buying talented studios frustrated w/ the grind of the "find a publisher" cycle.

But I stay generally weary of studio acquisitions by platform holders; however Microsoft w/ their "everything on PC" approach makes their 1st party games more accessible.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy, seriously. Amazing, amazing news.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
This was obvious based on what Booty said yesterday. The overall focus of Xbox is no longer the growth and expansion of its internal capabilities via acquisitions, but that doesn't mean that they're done in that regard. Simply that it's taking a back seat to working with and cultivating what they currently have.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but plenty of improvement has already happened. Today's Microsoft is very different.

As in the old leadership? I mean yeah but thats the past

I find it funny you can say that without one shred of evidence that points towards it.

I'm sure today's Microsoft is much better, that's why they have such a healthy stream of quality first-party titles coming to their console every few months /s

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think this is really the final piece to the puzzle. They really have US, Canada and UK on lock as far as studios go. They really need diversity among their first party both in terms of where the location of studio is, what kind of games they make and the type of people that work at the studio. This is all known though so I'm not saying anything new. It's just good to hear Phil hasn't taken his eye off the ball.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm sure today's Microsoft is much better, that's why they have such a healthy stream of quality first-party titles coming to their console every few months /s

I find it funny you can say that without one shred of evidence that points towards it.

They are releasing more than 8 first party games on Xbox One next year?

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I think they should also start up new studios instead of acquiring ones out right. Especially in countries that you don't think of much when you think video games, like Singapore or Malaysia. Could add some interesting diversity to the games line up

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

You can tell it's better based on the statements of the acquired developers and their relationships with Microsoft. Proof is going to be the end result, but the change in how they ate managing things is obvious to anyone that is paying attention.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Swery 65. Deadly Premonition 2, The Good Life, a game with Suda51, a partner with Arc System Works if I remember well... The guy is busy right now, but still needing some father to fund their bizzarre ideas.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I'm sure today's Microsoft is much better, that's why they have such a healthy stream of quality first-party titles coming to their console every few months*

fixed it for you by removing the /s seriously we have a steady line up for next year, this year there were more 1st party releases than in the past cmon with this narrative.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
So they're still browsing but it's not as much of a priority at the moment, makes sense. I personally think they'll pick up two more studios, hopefully besides the Asian team they also pick up or work with a smaller dev that can be made to work on bringing back old IP in the same vain of an in house Bluepoint. I hope on the future Bluepoint gets to make games for everyone not just exclusives they do great work.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, even with what they showed yesterday that was (mostly) them achieving some sort of parity with the PS4.

They have been proactive with Korean titles so maybe something from there.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
They have so many studios at this point I can see why they are slowing down. Take your time to find the studios in asia that can really make an impact in XGS line up.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but plenty of improvement has already happened. Today's Microsoft is very different.
The problem is that I have heard this exact statement for 5 years running. At this point Phil gets no credit until the results (as in actual video games) are substantial and consistent.

Nov 11, 2017

They have like 12 games coming in the next 12 months not counting to the scarlett games are you trolling ? Lol

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
The problem is that I have heard this exact statement for 5 years running. At this point Phil gets no credit until the results (as in actual video games) are substantial and consistent.

I must live in a parallel universe where I just played Gears 5, The Outer Worlds and now Age of Empires 2 on Game Pass day one.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I'm glad Phil recognizes the need for more Asian influence in the Xbox brand.

This forum has talked before of the possible benefits an influx of cash could bring to Obsidian. I wonder what Asian devs could benefit the most from more resources?