• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Project xCloud is Microsoft's game streaming service that's still in the preview phase. The service has dozens of games, many more than its rival Google Stadia, and uses less bandwidth to deliver a good experience.
A few days ago, Microsoft confirmed that Project xCloud was coming to Windows 10. Well, it looks like Xbox head Phil Spencer is testing out the app at the moment. A Reddit user by the name of "An Xbox Dude" captured a screenshot of Spencer using the xCloud app on PC.

phil_spencer_testing.jpg

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic! Can't wait for this to come to Windows. I'll use it all the time.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I want this.

I just want windows not to have a busted network stack especially with a feature like this. The better streaming works the more I want to use it where possible.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It's good that it's coming, but they're going to need to up the performance and quality a great deal to make playing these games palatable on PC. Xbox One hardware isn't going to cut it.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess it will be a dedicated app like on mobile and not through the browser. Good to know.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Care to elaborate in windows busted network stack? Genuinely interested to read about it.

Two biggest ways

1. Busted receieve window
2. Still lacks a queue mechanism that can compare and do what fq-codel or cake does in linux. Both can control latency problems well compared to anything else we have in networking, neither are present in windows.

How windows lacks in other areas.

By not having a feature like napi polling latency on a socket can't be kept as low as possible when it comes to latency
Not all nic drivers are equal and users never know if their wifi has airtime fixes or their ethernet has drivers where the buffer rings for data won't cause bufferbloat
Some offloads are still busted and often is better to disable than leave enabled
Stateful packet inspection mechanisms in windows are still know to cause lag vs being disabled
Cannot effectively pin your processors to services or wield them as well as well bsd/linux. This matters as anything multicore is served better letting one or two processors do all the work. You gain a benefit seperating your upload and download traffic on different cores in same numa node. Ideally if you 8+ thread 4 threads for each aspect of data transfer in networking would be best.
Recieve Side Scaling is still busted and only engages in high bandwidth transfers. In other OS you can have better implementations or feature that do the same regardless of network load

it's 2020 and it's pathethic that fixes meant at the start of the last decade for other OS aren't in MS premier desktop or console kernels.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good that it's coming, but they're going to need to up the performance and quality a great deal to make playing these games palatable on PC. Xbox One hardware isn't going to cut it.
I just want a way to play games on my laptop during downtime at work or while my daughter or wife are using the TV. It doesn't need to be flawless.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Macbook and PS5 would be a nice combo for next-gen with this. :p (Providing Microsoft release a mac OS client. Chances?)