• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Highlights:

Redesign been in the works for a while

Had to stay mum despite all of the questions

Apple wants to show they love their total pro lineup

Had internal debate on if to continue trash can Mac or iMac Pro etc or just focus on laptops but decided to refresh everything

Says not to draw any direct conclusion from the new 16" to a new 14" refresh of the 13"

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
If they can't be bothered to update the 13 to a 14 with a better keyboard, my next laptop will be Windows based.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It makes zero sense to be mum on a 14" Macbook Pro when they announced the Mac Pro six months in advance.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
It makes zero sense to be mum on a 14" Macbook Pro when they announced the Mac Pro six months in advance.

I mean people stopped buying the trash can and there was legit worries about its future. Apple announces things so far in advance to stop people from buying competitors products. They likely see the 13" as still popular and selling so no need to announce till its ready.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I tried out a 16 inch Pro this weekend. I have a 13 inch Pro I just bought back in September and while I am fine with the butterfly switches, the return of the scissor switches is very nice. It perfectly straddled that line between the shallow travel of butterfly and the travel of conventional scissor. I was very impressed. If they don't bring the new keyboard to the 13 inch I may just upgrade to the 16 in a couple years if they don't somehow return to butterfly.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to buy another expensive Mac for years, or ever, because my experience with the 2016/2017 15" MBP has been very poor for the price, but so far this looks like what the 2016 MBP should have been. I just don't really trust Apple with their quality issues and their years of dismissing them, before finally coming around and releasing something new that "fixes" those issues. If I were spending $1200 on the computer it'd be one thing.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Why do you still offer iMac off-the-shelf with those afwul fusion drive? I can't replace it, at least give me an SSD.

You want me to buy them directly from you, that's why. You bozos.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
The refresh of the Mac computers is not following any pattern partially because of the unpredictable 3rd party silicon updates.
Makes the planning pretty hard...

but they could certainly improve: e.g. Instead of doing iMac and MacBook separately, how about refreshing all the computers at the same time?

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they update the iMac Pro sometime next year, my 2013 iMac's getting a little long in the tooth. Not gonna hold my breath though, since they're still being weird about an official release date for the new Pro, which I'm sure will be their big prosumer push for a while.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
13" Macbook Air with "new" keyboard would be my go-to once the pre-owned 2012 15" Macbook Pro I got for cheap stops receiving OS updates.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The refresh of the Mac computers is not following any pattern partially because of the unpredictable 3rd party silicon updates.
Makes the planning pretty hard...

but they could certainly improve: e.g. Instead of doing iMac and MacBook separately, how about refreshing all the computers at the same time?

When they start moving to their own ARM chips, that's exactly what they will be doing.