• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
WAT.

Pitchfork said:
Phil Elverum is reviving his iconic Microphones moniker. On August 7, he'll release Microphones in 2020, his first new Microphones album since 2003's Mount Eerie. Below, watch a trailer for the record, which consists of just one 44-minute song.

The day before the album drops, Elverum will premiere an album-accompanying short film. Tune into the premiere at YouTube.

"I used to call my recordings a different name. A small clump of albums from 1997-2002 were called 'the Microphones,' including some popular ones," Phil Elverum explained in a statement. "But the essence of this project has never really changed: me exploring autobiographically in sound and words with occasional loose participation from friends. The name it has been called has never mattered much to me."

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Love Phil! I bought A Crow Looked at Me directly from him when he came to Montreal in December. Hes one of my favorite artists ever so i was so happy that i could talk and get a picture with him. Hyped for new Microphones!

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
oh wow. not using the mt eerie moniker anymore?

edit
after listening to the trailer, this definitely evokes microphones much more than his mt eerie work. very excited

double edit
double LP preordered. gimme

Deleted member 22528

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I Walk Out of the Museum from Lost Wisdom 2 is one of the best songs i've ever heard. Somebody post it, I'm at work!

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Love Phil! I bought A Crow Looked at Me directly from him when he came to Montreal in December. Hes one of my favorite artists ever so i was so happy that i could talk and get a picture with him. Hyped for new Microphones!

Talk about a brutal listen. I saw him shortly before his wife died. Incredibly nice and gracious person. Really looking forward to the new Microphones album. The Glow Pt 2 was on constant rotation back in my early 20s.

SaltyDuck

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Man, just going off that trailer, it's gonna be an incredible experience.

If ya'll haven't already, go check out Phil's music under the Mount Eerie moniker, which is as amazing as his work with The Microphones.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Talk about a brutal listen. I saw him shortly before his wife died. Incredibly nice and gracious person. Really looking forward to the new Microphones album. The Glow Pt 2 was on constant rotation back in my early 20s.

Yeah it really is. He was pretty up beat when i saw him (for Lost Wisdom pt. 2 Tour). Glad I could be front row to something so great.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. His recent Mount Eerie stuff has been fantastic but I'm really pumped that (if that trailer is anything to go by) this album will be more of a full-band affair.

Similar to the previous Microphones stuff.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I can't put into words how important Mount Eerie is to me as an album. This is exciting!

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
A poem about the album by Phil (posted to his website):

The old smell of air
coming faintly through the spring
crack in the snow above a hibernating bear's winter den,
the smell of long self-absorption,
burrowing into one's own chest, re-breathing the exhales of one's own breath,
the smell of squinting in the dark
ruminating in dreams
beneath layering years, the snow still falling.​

In the dark smoldering
slowly burning through all the old clothes, sifting through the ash,
wiping old shedded fur from the eyes
nosing out into the light.​

In that brief moment when the airs of the past and present meet,
at the mouth of the open bed,
egoic solidity burns away in the spring wind, self becomes fuel,
there is only now
and the past is a dream burning off.
Fragments arranged along the trail, crumbs consumed, dust blown,
no route back.​

Jedi79

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot this album was coming out, the Pitchfork review reminded me, bought the vinyl IMMEDIATELY, cant wait :)