• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate this song.

I used to have a "Christian Ethics" teacher (yeah, I grew up going to catholic school), who used to put on an instrumental version of this like once a week and make the whole class sit in silence and "meditate" to it. So that's my association with "In the Air Tonight". Just that hardcore anti-abortion nutjob teacher.
That's just evil. Noone should hate this song. Damn.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Also why do people want to watch videos of someone else reacting to something?

Some of the stuff on YT and other sites is just so weird to me. Just listen to the fucking song yourself and come up with your own thoughts about it!
Whooosh

people like stuff you don't. It's really that simple.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020

Some of the stuff on YT and other sites is just so weird to me. Just listen to the fucking song yourself and come up with your own thoughts about it!
At least i understand the youtubers because they get views/money. But people who watch others react is odd...I think it's for people who vicariously need that feeling of showing a friend something they like. It's kinda sad in a way.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I really hate this song.

I used to have a "Christian Ethics" teacher (yeah, I grew up going to catholic school), who used to put on an instrumental version of this like once a week and make the whole class sit in silence and "meditate" to it. So that's my association with "In the Air Tonight". Just that hardcore anti-abortion nutjob teacher.

I know the feeling, for the longest time (literally up until a year or two ago) I hated Queen because all throughout my school "career" the admin teams would play their songs on the morning of days where we had big days (standardized or not), so I associated Freddy Mercury's voice with standardized testing (and cheesy pep rallies).

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
At least i understand the youtubers because they get views/money. But people who watch others react is odd...I think it's for people who vicariously need that feeling of showing a friend something they like. It's kinda sad in a way.
Why is that sad. you guys are being weirdly judgmental lol.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
The great thing about the first episode is how its basically a film. You can watch that episode and never watch another episode of Miami Vice. Its phenomenal in terms of cinematography, editing, and sound design. And, it tells a complete story.
Huh, maybe that's why the pilot is on letterboxd

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The great thing about the first episode is how its basically a film. You can watch that episode and never watch another episode of Miami Vice. Its phenomenal in terms of cinematography, editing, and sound design. And, it tells a complete story.

Absolutely correct.

It's just.... amazing overall.

Now I want to watch Miami Vice.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I also get it from the YouTubers. That would be fun to just watch new stuff and give your opinions on that. And if you could make a living that would be great.

I do that all the time with my family and friends.

But it would be weird AF for strangers to want to watch a video about me talking about some random music video.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I love these, especially a song like this one that just hits you out of nowhere at around 3 minutes in. If you've never heard it before, that part is fucking amazing.

I really like watching the Lost in Vegas guys, their reaction to some Tool stuff was great to watch.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

because it is always things like this, a friend of mine used to watch a hip hop fan react to metal songs.

people dont watch this to create their own opinions on the song, they probably already know the song, they just want to see how people outside the circle feel about a song they like already.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
What? No. 99% of them are fake as fuck. You aren't going to get a sincere, candid reaction when people know they are being filmed.

This is where I stand with these videos. I wouldn't trust anything about them being real at all. The people making them know that the more crazy/outrageous/whatever they are, the more they go viral/get shared/etc., so it is in their best interest to not at all be genuine. I'd also wager a good amount of them have listened to these songs previously too.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Lol why can't a thread about reaction videos, just be about the damn video? If you want to discuss the merits of reaction videos make your own thread. People came in here because they were interested in how a newer generation were going to take in classic music. It's not a hard concept to understand.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On another note, Phil Collins is an absolute legend and In The Air Tonight is a stone cold classic. There's a certain sect that feels the need to shit on Collins to prove their music taste cred when propping up Peter Gabriel, but thats so fucking silly. Collins and Gabriel are both legends and both eras of Genesis are great.

Easy Lover might be my favorite 80's collaboration (and song!)

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Lol why can't a thread about reaction videos, just be about the damn video? If you want to discuss the merits of reaction videos make your own thread. People came in here because they were interested in how a newer generation were going to take in classic music. It's not a hard concept to understand.
It's always this way lol

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
This is a person with impeccable taste.

Sometimes other people's reactions or interpretations can make you think about things a different way. There are a few old school hip hop heads I watch who react to all kinds of music their subscribers throw at them (ayy Orlok shared 'em a few posts up), and it's really cool to get new insights as they analyze the lyrics and music from their perspective. One of the guys always comments on the basslines and it's gotten me paying more attention to them when I listen to new music. I also really enjoy seeing people's reactions to stuff they're experiencing for the first time. As a musician myself who really tries to evoke emotions from my work, it's so cool to see someone's eyes light up when that fuckin breakdown hits or they notice the wordplay on a verse or what have you.

EDIT: It's definitely not "sad". wtf is that supposed to mean? lmao

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes other people's reactions or interpretations can make you think about things a different way. There are a few old school hip hop heads I watch who react to all kinds of music their subscribers throw at them, and it's really cool to get new insights as they analyze the lyrics and music from their perspective. One of the guys always comments on the basslines and it's gotten me paying more attention to them when I listen to new music. I also really enjoy seeing people's reactions to stuff they're experiencing for the first time. As a musician myself who really tries to evoke emotions from my work, it's so cool to see someone's eyes light up when that fuckin breakdown hits or they notice the wordplay on a verse or what have you.
If it is an expert I totally agree. I love watching other musicians react to music because they can say something really interesting about it.

But if its just some random YouTuber looking for views it is assuredly going to be incredibly stupid and you are much better off if you just watched the song yourself and maybe came up with your own thoughts about it. I feel this crap really hurst any discussion of movies or videogames because so many people watch dumb people reacting or reviewing popular things and just pollute this forum by repeating the same thoughts verbatim. I see it with some of my friends too and I don't get it. It takes literally 10 seconds to watch or listen to something and come up with your own ideas about it. Maybe 2 minutes to think of something interesting or entertaining to say.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
edit: quoted the wrong post, sorry EloquentM!

I don't have any teenage friends, or children. It's really nice to watch young people enjoy something that was big when I was a kid. In the UK, when I was a kid, Phil was something of a laughing stock. Seriously uncool. There's a reason he was one of the artists Patrick Bateman loved in American Psycho.

But the guy made some bangers, and In the Air Tonight is one of them. Those two lads listened with no preconceptions and it was lovely.

I like when young people or people that have never heard a certain genre, listen to something I grew u p listening to and have a positive reaction to it.
Exactly.

I was waiting the whole time to see how they would take the drums.
I was dreading them pausing it just before the drums, and kinda ruining the build-up for themselves. But fortunately that didn't happen.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it's sad as in pathetic or bad -- I'm saying it makes ME sad because I think everyone deserves friends?
What makes you assume that the people who enjoy regularly watchIng reaction videos have no friends or feel they don't deserve friends? There are a number of reasons why people watch YT videos including this "odd" genre. It literally says nothing specific about these people individually in any way, at least where these types of gen z videos are concerned.

See reactions in this thread for reference, like the guy who just quoted me:

I don't have any teenage friends, or children. It's really nice to watch young people enjoy something that was big when I was a kid. In the UK, when I was a kid, Phil was something of a laughing stock. Seriously uncool. There's a reason he was one of the artists Patrick Bateman loved in American Psycho.

But the guy made some bangers, and In the Air Tonight is one of them. Those two lads listened with no preconceptions and it was lovely.
he didn't say he didn't deserve friends or had no friends, he said he has no younger people in his life to share this music with and see their reactions like he had when he was younger.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
In The Air Tonight is played everywhere. I don't know how you can go whole your life not hearing it.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get reaction videos. They always seem forced, like how can someone have an eargasm to every song they listen to. I guess I'm just old man yelling at clouds.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying it's sad as in pathetic or bad -- I'm saying it makes ME sad because I think everyone deserves friends?

Yeah, that's not judgemental at all then, just assuming that anyone watchin reactions on the internet does so because they don't have friends :D

It's not that deep.Watching people discover and enjoy things is fun. You can obviously have a social life and still watch these videos my dude^^

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
edit: quoted the wrong post, sorry EloquentM!

Exactly.

My favorite are young people listen to Eddie Vedder for the first time..with his antics on stage/passion in his vocals and then commenting, there really isn't anything like this right now. I always enjoy when kids liking the same things I do lol. I guess this is what it felt like when I liked Led Zepplin, and my dad was like, that's great!

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't fully read the title and thought this thread was about the superior Philadelphia "Phil" Collins.

Also no party is a party without a Phil Collins tune.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
What makes you assume that the people who enjoy regularly watchIng reaction videos have no friends or feel they don't deserve friends? There are a number of reasons why people watch YT videos including this "odd" genre. It literally says nothing specific about these people individually in any way, at least where these types of gen z videos are concerned.

See reactions in this thread for reference, like the guy who just quoted me:
Yeah, that's not judgemental at all then, just assuming that anyone watchin reactions on the internet does so because they don't have friends :D

It's not that deep.Watching people discover and enjoy things is fun. You can obviously have a social life and still watch these videos my dude^^
I'm sure there are many reasons people watch them, I was just speculating on what one of them might be.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God damn I'm old.

That was a good video in the OP though. Love the reaction when the drums hit.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I don't get reaction videos. They always seem forced, like how can someone have an eargasm to every song they listen to. I guess I'm just old man yelling at clouds.
It's a performance, of course. They're reacting for us and for each other. It's like how everyone laughs during a comedy movie at a theatre, but not in private.

What would be the point of a video where after 3 minutes they look at each other and say "drums." and then finish listening in silence?