• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which PS2 form factor is the best for your needs/preferences?

• Phat PS2 - (SCPH-3000x/3500x/3700x/3900x/5000x/5500x)

Votes: 223 47.9%
  • Slimline PS2 - (SCPH-7000x/7500x/7700x/7900x)

Votes: 243 52.1%

• Total voters

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
Slim is a technical marvel but aesthetically l prefer the original in it's iconic vertical placement not to mention that with HD loader it rocks from a usability standpoint.

I wish 8bitdo or someone else would make a quality wireless ps2 receiver.

I think there 's a brook adapter that lets you connect a variety of bluetooth controllers

Last edited:

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
While the original is a thing of beauty, the slim wins for being an engineering masterpiece, doubly so the last revisions that had an internal power supply

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Fat models can use the hard drive, massively more utility so are the factually superior models.

Also I don't understand how people think the slim is 'the greatest looking console'? It's a great engineering feat for sure, it looks decent and is very small which is great. But it's still got the stupid 'two tier' design for no reason and the crappy ridges which get filled with dust.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been a fan of the PS2 Slim. All PS2s I saw as a kid were Slims that were in awful conditions, banged up and scratched with many having the disc lid pop off on its own or something, which might make me biased to the original design that I know mostly from product shots. The Slim just seem unnecessarily slim and flimsy to me.

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
I never had the Slim but my cousins did and I was infinitely jealous.

It's the best console design of all time, bar none.

Plus built-in ethernet capability, though I'm assuming that only matters for homebrew stuff.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Definitely the Phat with it's HDD support. Even if the disc drives are a bit less reliable being able to rip all my games to a HDD makes it mostly a non-issue. With the Slim you're stuck with using ethernet or usb to load backups which means longer load times and stuttery cutscenes.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Goat Console, Goat design, Goat games. Goat Generation.

Stunning achievement in engineering for sure.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
The Slim is gorgeous and adorable.

But the phat model IS the PS2, my nostalgia is too heavy. Watching DVDs via scart and wondering why they were all green lol

Yes, indeed. This was one of my most beloved purchases back in those days...

550x501.jpg

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
My launch phat started having trouble reading discs because they were bouncing around in the tray.
The slim I replaced it with (with a proper spindle) never did.

Slim wins.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
The Slim…

I was a Nintendo kid before I bought a PS2 Slim really late into the generation because I felt like I was missing out on really good games. At that time there was a small mountain of PlayStation Greatest Hits that were $20 a pop and amazing.

Since then, I've never regretted buying a PlayStation console day one.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's inferior hardware but the phat model is so iconic, so many hours of my childhood were spent with that console.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Fat models can use the hard drive, massively more utility so are the factually superior models.

Also I don't understand how people think the slim is 'the greatest looking console'? It's a great engineering feat for sure, it looks decent and is very small which is great. But it's still got the stupid 'two tier' design for no reason and the crappy ridges which get filled with dust.
100%
Phat all the way. Having a hard drive makes things so much better. And the phat design looks great vertically.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I like the design of the Slim more, but the original can have an internal hard drive.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Cant play system link time crisis 2/3 with the slim! pass!

(i have both. The slim is such a wonder of design compared to the phat.. its crazy to look at them side by side.)

Last edited:

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Aesthetically I love the Fat
But functionally Slim is easier to use SwapMagic with.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I never liked the look of the original PS2, I just don't like the different sized rectangle shapes. At least the slim looks a lot nicer.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Idk why but I prefer the phat. Sad that I sold it many years ago.

Still have my slim though that I bought at a Walmart for $99 the year it was discontinued in the US.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
That slim in the OP looks like a PS4. And then we got the giant beast that is the PS5, similar to PS3..

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
I have both but it's phat all the way for me. It was such an unusual design at the time, looking more like a skyscraper than a console and the slim lost some of the impact the first model made.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I use to be a slim enthusiast, but the reality is that games just load faster off an internal HDD compared to a DVD or a USB drive when using FreeMCBoot, so the fat wins.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
OG Phat all the way. Just because of HDD support. Never cared for the design of a console, I'm not buying one just so I can look at it all day and go "Wow that looks good"

Functionality > design

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The slim is great for lots of reasons but aesthetically it's not even a tiny bit close to the phat (sic)

Oct 28, 2017
The Slim is just perfect as far as a sleek gameconsole can look. Only shame is you can't put an hdd in them, and the laser dies like clockwork, especially in the 7000 series slims.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Slim is a contender for one of the best looking consoles of all time.

The normal large version is fine.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
The poll being kind of close is the reason why the PS5 is the size of a small boat.