• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Well, this adds another piece to the puzzle of this mystery...

I originally made a topic on all the details 2 years ago about this that I completely forgot about, so instead of necro'ing it, I'll just link here with the details on the history of this cancelled game (that I had pre-ordered and was waiting on).

There was a post on Twitter from Limited Run Games Doug on Twitter about the Phsntom Breaker artbook from Udon, and someone posted this:

This is an amazing discovery, as least in the world of physical/collector/rare items, as it actually EXISTS in a physical form and actually got printed at some point! It's basically another NBA Elite 11 situation. The entire limited version that it was supposed to release as probably never happened, but that fact that a few sealed copies (which not everyone does for press releases) is out there is amazing!

Not sure how many would be as excited with this, but it would make this the rarest NA Xbox 360 game (as I'm not sure of any others that had such few, unknown copies made). I would sure love to own one, but I guess it's a holy grail of the collection at this point :p Nice to know of its existance, afyer all this time.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have pressed copies of Juiced and Combat Elite, which work on retail OG Xboxes, from when both were being published by Acclaim so Juiced has tons of changes. I also have Dinosaur Hunting in English, which again works on retail Xbox. I know of two or three other games that were pressed but ultimately not released. They all don't have retail art though. The big difference between these and even a standard review copy is the fact they aren't on CDrs or DVDrs. This sort of thing is lots of fun hah.

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity has anyone dumped the NA release of this game? Wondering if it's been preserved or it's just in the hands of collectors.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Out of curiosity has anyone dumped the NA release of this game? Wondering if it's been preserved or it's just in the hands of collectors.

I am going to guess "no". This copy is sealed, and who knows where/if there are others. I'm sure there are more than one out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I always find this kind of thing really interesting. Definitely hope this stuff gets preserved as well.

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I am going to guess "no". This copy is sealed, and who knows where/if there are others. I'm sure there are more than one out there.
He says in a reply that there's no disc art though and it's a silver disc marked "Microsoft Confidental" so it has been opened?

The picture does look sealed though.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
NBA 11 Elite was a lot (I'm over expressing a lot here) easier i think to even get than this game. My cousin worked for target at the time that game was released/cancelled in the same week. They had a pallet of the games that got sent back. Plus 11 Elite has been dumped. Would be curious if this ever does in the future.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Remember looking forward to this game back in the day, shame it never was.

OP
OP
Curler

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
He says in a reply that there's no disc art though and it's a silver disc marked "Microsoft Confidental" so it has been opened?

The picture does look sealed though.

Yeah it kind of did look sealed in the pic. I guess that's just a box they produced separately from the disc?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
WTF, I remember looking forward to this & then it just disappeared off the face of the earth. To think someone has a copy, let alone still sealed. I wonder if there possibly exist review copies considering the below. A game where its weird cancellation is more interesting than the game itself. Does the Twitter user go into detail as to how he even obtained it?

But does the game suck?
I remember GameSpot gave it a review, one of the only places I recall had any coverage on it.

...and they gave it a 4.5/10.