• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I play on the Ephinea server sometimes when I need that sweet, sweet item pickup noise injected right into me

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
The first game I ever played online and got addicted too. Will never forget it. Still fun to this day.

LuckyHit

Oct 27, 2017
That weird hybrid controller one I hope
Of course!
Nch2fdJ.JPG

I have so many wasted hours in this game.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
while I never got to play it online, I played so many hours of this on Dreamcast and ESPECIALLY on gamecube with 4 player co-op with friends. Nothing has ever been quite like this experience honestly.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being so mad when they announced it as online... but once I played it offline it was still really good. Though, I recall hitting a wall at some point. I revisited ps with universe and absolutely hated it. Most people just hung out in lobby's and didn't want to play. I remember being so frustrated I took a ban from their forums because I wanted to complain 😂😂, stupid. Anyway pso on DC was and is a very special game and alongside the console it was released on, was ahead of its time.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
For 20 years now PSO has been one of my absolute favorite games of all time. I've played every version of the game. Some of my very best gaming experiences ever were spent sinking countless hours into the split-screen coop mode, on Gamecube and OG Xbox, with my brother and friends. That was definitely my ideal way to play the game, but the thrill of the solo rare hunt also fueled me greatly. I still dabble with the game solo on Dreamcast and Dolphin.

No game relaxes me the way PSO does. The gameplay, music, sound effects, and enemy design just trigger so many positive emotions. PSO will always be one of my most cherished titles. A well I will always return to. The hunt never stops. To the whole new world. Shining like a pearl.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why they didn't just make an HD 16:9 remaster years ago :(
I don't like PSO2 as much as I loved PSO1

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game on launch and...basically have never really played it even to this day. I still actually have it on my shelf, but I've just never been able to get into it. I'm sure the fact that I don't like playing video games with other people has something to do with it.

It will remain one of those games that I wish I could appreciate like some people clearly do.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Is this fun to play solo? I've always wanted to try it, but I don't know if it would still be fun to play now

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
There was a fan making HD assets for a PSO fan remaster but I can't find them anymore. (I believe the assets where made by some other persons and not Glader who had a fan remake demo working a couple years ago.)

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
One of my favorite times in gaming ever was playing this game on Dreamcast. I tried Universe and PSO2 but couldn't get into either of them.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
So I was 13 when this came out, it and the Dreamcast provided me so many mind blowing first time experiences. One of my favorite games of all time.

I tried to get into the new one, but there were so many currencies and so much seemed attached to paying real money, I couldn't get into it.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
One of the most memorable gaming experiences of my life. Sadly I was never able to recreate the magic with the sequels and other games. What a glorious time it was, though.

Happy 20th, PSO!

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Is this fun to play solo? I've always wanted to try it, but I don't know if it would still be fun to play now
This is actually a pretty good time to get into PSO. The official servers are long dead, but the private server scene is probably better than it has ever been (except perhaps during the heyday of schthack when it was the only game in town and before things got wiped multiple times). What's more, you can play online on a variety of platforms, although the largest audience by far is on PC since PC is the easiest to set up and has the most content.

You might be wondering why I'm talking about servers since you said you wanted to play solo. First of all, even if you intend to only play solo the best way to do this is online, as playing solo in online mode unlocks significantly more content (and most servers, like Ephinea, explicitly have a "solo mode" option that uses the singleplayer health values for enemies). The second is that PSO really is a multiplayer game, and it is best experienced - at least in small bursts - with other players.

Anniversary Articles
Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
www.polygon.com

Phantasy Star Online devs on the story, the graphics, and the angry fans that used to call the office

We continue our retrospective interview series for the game’s 20th anniversary
www.polygon.com

Yuji Naka looks back at Phantasy Star Online, 20 years later

How Sega’s Dreamcast and Phantasy Star Online connected the world by ushering in the true first generation of online console gaming
www.polygon.com

Phantasy Star Online programmers on breaking new ground and their Diablo-style isometric prototype

We continue our retrospective interview series for Phantasy Star Online’s 20th anniversary

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Without a doubt one of my favorite games ever.

Everything about it came together, music, graphics, aesthetics, gameplay, the game's atmosphere is simply oustanding, everything felt right.

Good times, but nothing is going to last forever i guess.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I tried to get into these games starting with the Dreamcast version and again and later versions on windows but couldnt ever really enjoy it. I miss the original Phantasy Star games on the Genesis and wish there was a Phantasy Star 5.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The music mixed with the game's sound effects and UI sounds is enough to make me nostalgic, it's on the same level as Ragnarok's Prontera theme with porings hopping around and people using spells in town.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
www.polygon.com

Phantasy Star Online devs on the story, the graphics, and the angry fans that used to call the office

We continue our retrospective interview series for the game’s 20th anniversary
www.polygon.com

Yuji Naka looks back at Phantasy Star Online, 20 years later

How Sega’s Dreamcast and Phantasy Star Online connected the world by ushering in the true first generation of online console gaming
www.polygon.com

Phantasy Star Online programmers on breaking new ground and their Diablo-style isometric prototype

We continue our retrospective interview series for Phantasy Star Online’s 20th anniversary
Thanks for posting these!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I played over 400 hours on the GameCube, I know in the grand scheme that isn't much but for someone who played offline for 98% of that, it's pretty impressive. I loved the original so much and I'd love for an HD Remaster.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I've always loved this image when DC or PSO gets mentioned:

QQbjnW5.jpg

It's just so clean. Makes me wish I had that exact setup for some retro DC gaming. lol