• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
PSO was release in Japan on December 21st, 2000. Happy birthday šŸ„³ Also if interested you can still play Blue Burst via private servers.

QQbjnW5.jpg

j7xnd9D.jpg

JiUJNQ2.jpg

kMOEIOL.jpg

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely love it, I had more than one thousand hours on PSO Episode 1&2, all my characters combined.
I still fondly remember my local multiplayer sessions.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I got the game at launch and remember all the late nights playing the game. Made a lot of friends in there. Going to the Mines or the Ruins. The music was so good as well. This was my second online game, after Quake 3 Arena. An experience I will never forget. This is why I hold this game highly even to this day.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This game has given me and my friend many fond memories growing up. Clocked so many hours in Episode 1 and 2 together. What a great experience this was.

Many a late nights, farming rates and having fun grinding. Never had anything like it since.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
GOAT...so ahead of its time,online mutiplayer,virtual lobby,awesome big characters with great and diverse animations depending on the weapon equipped,I use to get a chuckle everytime my tiny FOmarl would use the Bazooka ;)...superb Boss fights,I mean that Dragon on level 1 was great and then De Rol Le on the raft fight,how awesome was that in 2000...

Some of my friends where asking me how come my phone was always busy in the evening lol...56k modem...the most fun I had and probably ever have online with RL friends and an online community,to this day I still follow and chat with a few I met back then.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it until everyone was running around with Spread Needle and Heaven's Punisher +99s and could PK with a GameShark.

I've never seen an online game ruined in quite the same way. Maybe just the original Diablo.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game and we are about to get the 3rd one soon (NG really does just look like PSO3 now)

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I loved it until everyone was running around with Spread Needle and Heaven's Punisher +99s and could PK with a GameShark.

I've never seen an online game ruined in quite the same way. Maybe just the original Diablo.
People with gamesharks dropping you duped items was a friendly gesture at least.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I loved PSO but this memory really sticks in my craw and I can't overlook the fuckery.

Anybody want a level gorillion mag?

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
The best of the best. Sega have never got the magic back, and neither have I.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Many hours I should have been working on programming projects or studying for exams in college were lost to this game...

Jul 1, 2020
I still have my gamecube save with hundreds of hours of gameplay. I spent a lot of time playing episode 1 and far fewer playing episode 2.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I still own my DC disc even though I haven't booted it up in a long, long time. Last I played was BB on Schtserv until all the drama went down with the admins and I briefly looked to other options but quickly gave up. Just didn't want to start all over once again. Maybe one day I will.

Lets celebrate by playing PSO2!
I tried numerous times and it's just not the same. There was something special about the more simplistic side of PSO which has been lost with these later versions.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I played the game at launch, and it was my first time playing online. Such a magical experience. The music, the atmosphere, the amazing graphics... the realization that these other players are REAL PEOPLE. Dreading the phone bills we used to rack up for this game...
Looking back I think I didn't even play it that long, but to this day, everytime I play some online game like FFXIV, Monster Hunter World, even Borderlands or Destiny I chase the feeling I got when I played Phantasy Star Online that first Spring/Summer when it released in EU.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I was never able to get into the series (got a DC well after the console had died and PSO2 took forever to get localized, really wanted to try it when it first came out on PSP).

Hoping to give it a shot with the new one coming out.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't play till the Gamecube, but I've never put as much time into a game as I did Eps. I & II on GCN.

My first "real" online game.
My first console game with chat - I had the GCN keyboard.
My last time sink before having a job.

It was the summer after 8th grade. Every. Single. Day. I'd wake up at 2pm in the afternoon in the summer. Log-in about 4pm. Play till 5 in the morning. Go to bed. Wake up about 2 again. Just to do it again. Again. And Again.

My parents were going through a divorce and we didn't have much time or money to do a lot else, and so while I was a good kid with good grades, my mom normally would have NEVER been okay with that. But just a perfect storm of "if you're having fun and being safe, go for it."

So many amazing memories. So many laughs. So many virtual friends I lost over time.

Something about it just felt - real. Like, I was on the Pioneer and I had to go take these things out. "One more run," hit me harder in this game than about anything else.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
That weird hybrid controller one I hope

No - I can't remember it, but it was a clear-ish blue that was standalone - basically a standard PS/2 (port) keyboard from the time with a GCN controller input on the other end. So I'd have my GCN controller in port 1, and then the keyboard in Port 2, going to my lap.

I thought it was Action Replay brand, but haven't been able to find it again.

EDIT:

Looks like I just need to Google Image again - found it!

Man, the memories come flooding back!

511SZDSS66L._AC_UY218_.jpg

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
So many memories. I wish PSO2 was as good, but I simply cannot get into it

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I loved PSO but this memory really sticks in my craw and I can't overlook the fuckery.

Anybody want a level gorillion mag?
Other than that, it was a masterpiece of its time. It was just so much fun to play. I mostly split my time between PSO and Diablo II at the time, so I was in loot-RPG heaven.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Man, still remember attempting to do full runs with friends online during university and hoping no one would call our apartment or pick up the phone because it would fuck up the DC's modem connection. šŸ¤£

My little RaCast for life!

Oct 30, 2017
Never played in DC. Do remember waiting for EBgames to get this in stock so I could buy it on Xbox. It was supposed to arrive on a Tuesday but was late/ delayed until Thursday. For some reason a lot of Xbox games never made the launch date Riddick & Elder Scrolls III big offenders here.

After getting it I believe I had to mail in for the communications adapter. But after I got everything together and begging my parents foran online subscription to this game ($9.99 a month I believe on top of the Xbox Live LOL).

i was set.Probably over 1,000 hours in this little gem.Would stay up all night playing with random people and making friends. Those were the days! One of my all time favorite gaming experiences.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I'll celebrate by playing more PSP2i since every time ya boot it up ya see this after the Segac logo:
LARWsiL.jpg

Gotta have a laugh whenever a new GAAS comes out an people crap on it for not having content. Do some of those really launch with less than what PSO had at the start? 4 levels and 4 bosses and limited character creation and only weapons/MAGs are visible things you could "show off".

Had no idea what I was getting into when I bought PSO but when all was said an done I'd spent about 957 hours on PSO/Ver.2 an over 3116 hours across all versions of PSO. It was fun for a good while an a big part of it was cause of the communities at the time. Playing offline single player just isn't the same thing. Nor is random private server Blue Burst. Community or not, I'm super beyond tired of restarting all the way back at L1 with nothin' to my name each time I give BB a try. PSOs not my cup of tea anymore but it had a great 5 year run!

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Love the art style and overall aesthetic of PSO in that second pic. Shame about PSO2...

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Favorite game of all time. Nothing will ever be able to replicate what this game was for me at that point of my life.

I wish there was a PSO on switch. Love PSO 2 on Xbox but the reality is that I game more on the go and rarely find the time to boot up the dedicated tv consoles.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I've so many awesome memories with this game. It's was my first kind of mmo experience. I remember trying to trade for a Spread needle or the Orochi Agito sword. Good times.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I love PSO. On paper it's just sort of a wonky Diablo clone but it nails every aspect of the execution so well. It really goes to show you that you don't need hundreds of hours of "content" to get people hooked - all you need is a fun game.

DECKā€™ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
My #1 game of all time, played it for countless hours.

Art and music are God tier, the atmosphere is unbeatable.