• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I stopped playing for a bit when the game focused in on a highschool girl waking up to a zombie apocalypse in Vegas, or something like that

Also why you do this to me PSO2 :(

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of the emergency codes... Is there any way to disable the graphics for those when they pop up? They cover the entire screen and are way too obnoxious.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
So it is releasing on Windows 10 alongside Xbox, ya? Would I be able to transfer my character to steam once it releases there?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
For people who played PSO on Dreamcast, is this a huge departure or still very similar in play style?

The core gameplay loop is intact. You go inside maps, kill things, get loot, repeat. Just that there are more things to do and that happen in that loop that reinforces it like PSE burst. Mobs from different factions can invade your mission, events can start that will present you with a sub objective for bonus rewards, there are multiparty areas that can have 2 other parties killing things for up to 12 people on the map at once, there are phenomenons that can occur with special effects...etc.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
So it is releasing on Windows 10 alongside Xbox, ya? Would I be able to transfer my character to steam once it releases there?

Hmm, i'm pretty sure it's scheduled to launch LATER in 2020 on Windows, unless plans have changed, but I doubt it.

Edit: Or maybe that was just about the beta? Now i'm not sure

Edit 2: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidj...d-beta-starts-feb-7-on-xbox-one/#12dd7b783598 that's all I could find, but it does say that it's scheduled to launch later in 2020 on PC and first on Xbox. And i'm pretty sure I read that in an official post aswell, just can't find it anymore. 🤔

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Afin was just too obnoxious for me to pay attention to what he was saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah - probably :-)

His accent was pretty funny (to me) and I was really struck that he shouted wanker in like the first 15 minutes of opening game cutscenes. It never struck me as a particularly english/british word...but then I can't think of many examples in american media.

Depending on context it can be a fairly friendly/affable insult or fairly offensive.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I obviously didn't understand the story when playing the Japanese version but is it worth paying attention to at all? I liked the minimal but mysterious story of PSO original. Though I didn't mind PSU and the PSP games stories.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm having withdrawals hard too. I keep getting home and looking at my Xbox one controller and just feeling sad.

If they do a PC beta I'll be jumping in too. Also I hope they keep putting movie trailers in for ads. The Sonic trailer was so fitting. Man if we got some Sonic movie stuff as items that would be amazing.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's releasing later on Win10 than Xbox, but still targeted for Spring 2020. My guess is Xbox will have a small headstart rather than PC being way after the Xbox release. I stress that is a guess though and I have no insider info.

As for Steam, we don't know how that is going to handle accounts or cross-save - it hasn't even been officially announced yet, technically.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
As for Steam, we don't know how that is going to handle accounts or cross-save - it hasn't even been officially announced yet, technically.
The data is stored server side, so in the Japanese version you can use the same character on PC/Vita/PS4/Switch Cloud. I'm sure that part will stay the same. The game also has almost-full crossplay with Vita/Switch version being relegate to blocks specific for that console (people on stronger hardware, meaning PS4/PC, can jump to those blocks too though).

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I obviously didn't understand the story when playing the Japanese version but is it worth paying attention to at all? I liked the minimal but mysterious story of PSO original. Though I didn't mind PSU and the PSP games stories.
Maybe it changes eventually, but my first impression of it was pretty terrible. You select the story mission to play, it shows a cutscene of you and other characters at a location talking about seemingly random things and then the mission is complete. It felt like I was missing a chunk of the story or something. That was after going through around 10 of them. I'm hoping it becomes more coherent later.

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Maybe it changes eventually, but my first impression of it was pretty terrible. You select the story mission to play, it shows a cutscene of you and other characters at a location talking about seemingly random things and then the mission is complete. It felt like I was missing a chunk of the story or something. That was after going through around 10 of them. I'm hoping it becomes more coherent later.

So from what I've read, the reason the game is like that with it's story mode is because PSO2 JP was updated a while back to streamline the story for newer players to catch up to most recent episodes. As a result, Episodes 1-3 don't exist in the way they did originally, only the cutscenes were kept with the occasional mission. In the original version, there were missions between those cutscenes, but they involved grinding basic missions for RNG based items to drop in order to continue the story. From what else I've read, while this current iteration can be a bit polarizing, it's much better than what it was originally for players.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So from what I've read, the reason the game is like that with it's story mode is because PSO2 JP was updated a while back to streamline the story for newer players to catch up to most recent episodes. As a result, Episodes 1-3 don't exist in the way they did originally, only the cutscenes were kept with the occasional mission. In the original version, there were missions between those cutscenes, but they involved grinding basic missions for RNG based items to drop in order to continue the story. From what else I've read, while this current iteration can be a bit polarizing, it's much better than what it was originally for players.
Yeah, that makes sense. I had heard that it was far better than it used to be, I just wish they had fleshed it out more. As it is, the only thing I really remember from what I played is that I want to kill Gettemhart.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I wonder how much sway they have in the development of PSO2. In my opinion, close to none. Like, how can they improve the game if it's being developed by Sega Japan? I remember old PSO games had horrible lag in terms of content (i.e. getting everything late or not at all). My biggest gripe with the closed beta? I've never had so many crashes in a beta environment. Try to identify an item at the tekker? Crash. Teleport to the playing area? Crash. I've had so many I stopped counting'em. They really need to fix that before release, it's embarassing for a 7+ years game.

Otherwise I think the game is a bit too fast, but that's not fixable until PSO3. Some combos just melt through mobs and bosses. It lowered my appreciation if the Urgent Quests when you had so many overpowered characters dealing thousands of damage per second.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
My biggest gripe with the closed beta? I've never had so many crashes in a beta environment. Try to identify an item at the tekker? Crash. Teleport to the playing area? Crash. I've had so many I stopped counting'em. They really need to fix that before release, it's embarassing for a 7+ years game.
That's wild, I don't think I had one hard crash in the game since jPSO2 alpha... There was a problem where trying to update the game could delete files on your HDD, which was pretty wild, but that's about it.
I wonder if the optimization of the launcher on PC will be better than in jPSO2, because despite having a 1Gbit connection and the game installed, every time the game updates it takes like 15-20 min, because it checks 80k files.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much sway they have in the development of PSO2. In my opinion, close to none. Like, how can they improve the game if it's being developed by Sega Japan? I remember old PSO games had horrible lag in terms of content (i.e. getting everything late or not at all). My biggest gripe with the closed beta? I've never had so many crashes in a beta environment. Try to identify an item at the tekker? Crash. Teleport to the playing area? Crash. I've had so many I stopped counting'em. They really need to fix that before release, it's embarassing for a 7+ years game.

Otherwise I think the game is a bit too fast, but that's not fixable until PSO3. Some combos just melt through mobs and bosses. It lowered my appreciation if the Urgent Quests when you had so many overpowered characters dealing thousands of damage per second.

That's wild, think I only had one tech issue and that was a freeze at a loading screen, were you installed on an external hard drive? What model xbox were you on?

Enemy HP is super low until higher difficulties so things do feel melty early on.

Edit: did you report this on the beta survey?

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I can't compare it to original PSO as I didn't really play the story in that game, but I genuinely like the story of episodes 1-3. 1 can be a bit slow at times but sets up some things for 2 and 3 and I really enjoyed those episodes.
After episode 3 it kinda goes off the rails. 4 is not good and I can most people who liked original PSO strongly disliking it because it kind of goes against everything the series is about, but I had fun playing through it just to see how crazy it got. 5 has boring setting and it takes a long time for anything to actually happen. And 6 is still ongoing so I can't really give an opinion on it, but they are clearly using the setting of episode 6 to course correct hard from dislike of 4 and 5, and the actual playable content of episode 6 is really fun so far.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
That's wild, think I only had one tech issue and that was a freeze at a loading screen, were you installed on an external hard drive? What model xbox were you on?

Enemy HP is super low until higher difficulties so things do feel melty early on.

Same here. I'm playing on 1x and had no crashes. I used the internal drive and played via wifi. It was refreshing for a beta to go so smooth.

The only thing I noticed were stutters. Not sure what those were about but were quick as to not be a big deal.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

I had a fight take a solid 10 minutes tonight. Dark Falz [Persona]. I've had others take just as long. I think the JP version has done well at scaling the EQ bosses. I'm sure we'll get there on NA at some point.

Olimar

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Emergency Code: Depression until this comes back. I had a ton of fun playing this over the weekend with everybody. Shout out to all of the JP vets who were helping out us noobs during CBT.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I'm so glad I won't have to see people saying CBT anymore once the open beta starts

Couldn't they have called it private beta tests or something =P

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada

I did report my issues, yes. For the record, I've played the closed beta on Xbox One (the digital only console). I've had crashes, but also the equivalent of BSOD where the screen would just freeze.

My only hope is that PSO2 does so much work in NA/EU that Sega wakes up and does a simultaneous WW release of PSO3 when the time comes.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I have to expect that any English PSO2 surveys are intended to collect data for future PSO projects. Sort of like how Capcom has conducted two Street Fighter character surveys but the surveys happen in the mid-life of a current Street Fighter game and the results bare out in the next Street Fighter game.