• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Being able to send stuff to your vault from anywhere definitely helped with inventory. But yeah, it really sucks when equipped things count.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
I only played on Saturday, did the events and watched the concert. Hit L25 in a day of playing. Not too shabby. They just gush so many quests and tasks on you that it was pretty easy to always have something to do.

It's impressive how quick you hit where the paywalls are going to be. Bloody inventory space is the worst offender (I'm not a fan of inventories that count equipped items towards your carry total), and the UI to move stuff isn't elegant at all, especially when dealing with stacked items.

But I had a great time running around as a robot and blasting things at range. The auto-targeting makes using ranged weapons very easy. Although no option to auto-switch targets on target death when locked on is near criminal in a game like this.
TBF, most things that drop at these low levels are mostly just junk or mag food. Only 20 Client Orders is imo the worst offender in the beta because tCO's are the best way to gain exp at low levels and the recommendation of new CO's for an area doesn't always show up. The actual worst offender of a paywall in full release will be your personal Shop access to sell things. Other notable mentions are additional mags and skill trees if you mess up or want to play more classes optimally.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
It's impressive how quick you hit where the paywalls are going to be. Bloody inventory space is the worst offender (I'm not a fan of inventories that count equipped items towards your carry total), and the UI to move stuff isn't elegant at all, especially when dealing with stacked items.
A menuing shortcut I found when dealing with stacks of items is that you can press RT on items in a window to group-select them for actions like moving or locking them. This also bypasses the window where you choose how many to move, and moves all of them.

It came in handy when doing a bunch of missions back to back and getting stacks of furniture, consumables, photon drops, etc., and I can quickly deposit all of them into my storage as a batch process.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I didn't realize this thread existed until just now!

So did Era congregate on Ship 1 or Ship 2? My friends and I played on Ship 2 and designated Block 13 as our go to.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they let us move ships once for free. I was planning on joining Ship 2 for the Era Alliance, but when the Beta started only Ship 1 was open, so I'm stuck on there.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
TBF, most things that drop at these low levels are mostly just junk or mag food. Only 20 Client Orders is imo the worst offender in the beta because tCO's are the best way to gain exp at low levels and the recommendation of new CO's for an area doesn't always show up. The actual worst offender of a paywall in full release will be your personal Shop access to sell things. Other notable mentions are additional mags and skill trees if you mess up or want to play more classes optimally.
Yeah it felt as if most of the stuff was junk / vendor fodder that dropped. I generally shoved it into my character space then sold it all once back at the shops. The lack of material storage was a big one though, especially since they make a point of saying that you can draw from material storage without having to move things into inventory, as you had to with weapon tokens and the other materials you grind (grinders) for upgrades.

And I hit the COs limit immediately. Half of my play was running around and doing the menial stuff they wanted (OCD in me wouldn't let me abandon them) just to check it off to free space for more interesting COs. You could easily double-max out your COs just in the collection quests they offered in the cafe.

It seems as if access to your room is also paygated? At least I got a 3-day pass for usage that I never claimed. I had no idea if it was useful or not.

A menuing shortcut I found when dealing with stacks of items is that you can press RT on items in a window to group-select them for actions like moving or locking them. This also bypasses the window where you choose how many to move, and moves all of them.

It came in handy when doing a bunch of missions back to back and getting stacks of furniture, consumables, photon drops, etc., and I can quickly deposit all of them into my storage as a batch process.
OMG why is this not in the UI anywhere? Great tip. Thanks!

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

What!? Man that was one instant downside I saw. Good to know there's a shortcut!

Overall, I had a great time with the beta. the huge issue(i'm assuming that's been mentioned already) are the periodical 1-5 sec stuttering. I'm pretty certain that's going to get fixed before release.

For my first time playing, i'm looking very much forward to it!

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
It seems as if access to your room is also paygated? At least I got a 3-day pass for usage that I never claimed. I had no idea if it was useful or not.

I was confused by this; I had access to my room from the start (did the client orders to unlock my Auxiliaries), and then later got that 3-day pass from one of the quests. Didn't consume it yet, since I was confused why I already had room access.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Another handy tip:

Select an area for exploration, then open the Menu and select Client Orders. There will be a button to view client orders for the area selected for your current quest.

And you can also batch-select them from that menu, without having to run around and locate clients themselves.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
You get a small room for free. Room pass lets you have a bigger room that can hold more stuff and have fancy skins and stuff

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Another handy tip:

Select an area for exploration, then open the Menu and select Client Orders. There will be a button to view client orders for the area selected for your current quest.

And you can also batch-select them from that menu, without having to run around and locate clients themselves.
When I accept a quest, I get auto teleported to the camship. How do I disable this?

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
*Takes note to go to Block 54 for the next concert*

I read back a couple of pages; how the hell did Zeta Ori get a Pioneer 2 room theme?! That's badass as hell.

Originally I thought I got it from a FUN scratcher but it seems you get it just from paying to have the room switched. There are a few options we looked at but pioneer 2 seemed to be the coolest one with the most nostalgia for those PSO players out there.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they release any telemetry on the usual things you expect to hear after a beta? Number of players, total boss kills across the community, etc.? Would love to hear stats like this.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
For people who played PSO on Dreamcast, is this a huge departure or still very similar in play style?

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For people who played PSO on Dreamcast, is this a huge departure or still very similar in play style?

Don't expect long expansive levels, they can be done in a few minutes, but theres a good amount. The music and the missions feel like pso, as well as finding a rhythm to fighting. Weapons arent so defined by their unique abilities like some rare pso weapons but instead you can find Photon Art discs (Like technic discs but for special moves).You can mix those up and have like 5 on one weapon for some personalized variety.

It plays like an action game, but you can totally see the pso dna.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
I played PSO on dreamcast and this felt great! I was worried it would feel alien or different but I was right at home. I was mostly annoyed by the avalanche of menus you have to wade through to do anything though. Also EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY during expeditions was kinda annoying. Wish you could just disable these callouts.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played PSO on dreamcast and this felt great! I was worried it would feel alien or different but I was right at home. I was mostly annoyed by the avalanche of menus you have to wade through to do anything though. Also EMERGENCY EMERGENCY EMERGENCY during expeditions was kinda annoying. Wish you could just disable these callouts.
EMARGENSHEE COWD

DEWELL!!

(Yeah I can see it getting really old, really fast.)

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
How absurd is the NA release compared to the JP version? Was playing tonight and there's something wonderful about fighting the statue of liberty on a sphinx, helicopters and t-rexes. Wondering if NA will get the same level of dumb.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How absurd is the NA release compared to the JP version? Was playing tonight and there's something wonderful about fighting the statue of liberty on a sphinx, helicopters and t-rexes. Wondering if NA will get the same level of dumb.
Episode 4 is... weird, to say the least. No idea if it'll be in at launch but I imagine it wouldn't be long after release.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Not as weird. Episode 5 is stock fantasy in an alternate dimension which is admittedly odd for a sci-fi game like PSO2.

Episode 6 goes back to the sci-fi theme.

Okay cool. I did play a bit of the Japanese version back in the day and I remember doing that mission where you have to fight like a modern day warship and it all felt very weird. I'm not sure if that was part of Episode 4. But it was the one biggest time that made me go: "This doesn't feel like Phantasy Star".

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I was listening to the Bombcast and they were speculating whether or not the crazier shit made available for the Japanese version would make its way over to the West.

I want the crazy shit. Even if it doesn't make sense to western audiences.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
I was listening to the Bombcast and they were speculating whether or not the crazier shit made available for the Japanese version would make its way over to the West.

I want the crazy shit. Even if it doesn't make sense to western audiences.
Not gonna lie the first thing I did was run over to see if the 7-11 vendor was in the shopping area and it was not.

Oct 25, 2017
with Episode 1-3 already in the game in their removed matterboard states where its just cutscenes in the menu, I would hope Episode 4 is in at launch

Episode 4 released in 2016, the matterboards were removed in 2018

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
with Episode 1-3 already in the game in their removed matterboard states where its just cutscenes in the menu, I would hope Episode 4 is in at launch

Episode 4 released in 2016, the matterboards were removed in 2018

I played through everything looking for some weird earth stuff but couldnt find any. I'm sure it'll be in the full game though.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have 3 friends that I played PSO with on dreamcast and gamecube 20 years ago buying an xbox just to play this game. I think only FFVII could rival my excitement for a game.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I played through everything looking for some weird earth stuff but couldnt find any. I'm sure it'll be in the full game though.
The Alliance Shop had Silver Tokyo bonus keys but you couldn't buy them due to the 7 day restriction on the shop after joining an alliance.

So that'll be in at launch at least.

OP
OP
Zeta Ori

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I'm just happy to see all the attention an 8 year old game is getting, the audience come full release on Xbox/W10/possibly Steam is gonna be a sight to behold if only one of those three is crashing servers trying to get in.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Really hope they add this to xCloud close to launch. Would love to play this on work breaks.